40's

Following Through

Hey, no. My 40s have been pretty consistent with my 30s, which were by in large quiet. 23 is the age I identify as despite what a knuckle head I was at the time. 40s are good, I’ve a better understanding of what to do in given circumstances… well, in some cases. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
Professor Tarknassus
On 2/23/2012 at 2:09 PM, newgirl said:

Are you in your 40's? Do you feel being in your 40's is a turning point?

Mid-40's.

It's only a turning point for me in that I'm finally figuring out stuff I should have dealt with decades ago.  Now I'm much more content with who I am and how I behave/react/cope/any other responses around people.  I've learned I don't need to change myself into someone I'm not, I just need to accept the person that I actually am.  

• Like 7

@Professor Tarknassus welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

7 hours ago, Professor Tarknassus said:

...Now I'm much more content with who I am and how I behave/react/cope/any other responses around people.  I've learned I don't need to change myself into someone I'm not, I just need to accept the person that I actually am. 

Hi, and welcome. :cake:

Well said!

• Like 2
hyperfractal

@Professor Tarknassus I'm in about the same place you are, emotionally and age-wise. Welcome to AVEN and to the 40's forum. 🎂

I just wish I hadn't spent so long getting here, when I work out what here is!

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I suppose it's time to stop lurking awkwardly in the background and actually say hello. I'm new to Aven (or at least I've never posted before), 47 years old, and didn't realize there was such a thing as asexuality until about 5 years ago. I have been married and have a son. Needless to say, it has not worked out well for me and didn't last (marriage that is - the son is great). As I said, about 5 years ago I stumbled across asexuality, looked back on my failed relationships, and went "well that explains a lot."

I haven't told any friends or family because I just feel like it's really no one's business, but I do wear the black ring (after reading about it here) to remind myself not to compromise my comfort for social expectations or someone else's enjoyment. Like some of the rest of you, I'm a bit annoyed at not figuring this stuff out earlier in life, but I believe it's never too late to be what you might have been and to fall in love with yourself. Besides, I have discovered that I am an awesome date. I take myself to all the places I like and don't make myself share the dessert. ;)

Anyway, here I am. Trying to be brave and figure out where I fit. It's nice to know I'm not alone.  "Hi" (shy wave)

• Like 6

Welcome to AVEN.

Better late than never.

Yeah, I took a sex ed. class in college back in the 90's. 

Nothing that I felt or was going through was yet to be defined.

I hope you make a lot of positive connections with some of the awesome people on the site.

Have a beautiful night.

• Like 1
Skycaptain

@Curlyfox, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Some Call Me Tim

44 and just started to figure things out.

Going through a lot of confusing thoughts, feelings, and memories ... some things making more sense, some things getting resignified, lots of new questions coming to the fore. 

Answering the OP: Yes, 40 was a turning point for me, but very subtle.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 1:47 AM, Professor Tarknassus said:

Mid-40's.

It's only a turning point for me in that I'm finally figuring out stuff I should have dealt with decades ago.  Now I'm much more content with who I am and how I behave/react/cope/any other responses around people.  I've learned I don't need to change myself into someone I'm not, I just need to accept the person that I actually am.  

I hope you enjoy your 40'a. I turn 50 2020

MId-40's. I echo what others have said in that its a moment of clarity/enhances my understanding of who I am and potentially providing new perspectives on some old scars. But overall, I am happy with where I am in life. Understanding myself better will only continue to enhance my life.

• Like 3

Welcome to AVEN.

Glad to have someone new in the 40's thread.

This thread tends to be really slow though. 

• Like 1
Skycaptain

@Kelwyne, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

I echo what @argarsays, more of us 40's post in the 50's thread than here 😋 😋 

Sunny day here, loving sitting in the window working, chatting, while the sun shines in :D 

I should probably go for a walk since my steps are about 1000 so far. Getting into a bad habits, need to correct that!

• Like 1
bluedragonwings

Just officially checking in. 

• Like 4

its oh so quiet!

Just like the 30-plus-pure-chat on the ace date space discord

• Like 1
CaramelCoffeeCake

Hiya, heading to my late 30s but I feel much much......MUCH older. I'm definitely not young at heart and I like it : )

Hope I can hang out here? I've always naturally gravitated towards people older than me - friends, etc (not deliberately). Think I might be an imposter if I head to the 50s section, though I won't mind ha!

• Like 2

HI! You won't struggle to keep up on the posts!

• Like 2
Skycaptain

@Ellash, most people of all ages gravitate to the 50s thread 

CaramelCoffeeCake

5 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Ellash, most people of all ages gravitate to the 50s thread 

Alright. Off I go then, thanks 😊

• Like 1
Trace the Time Slicer

Hi everyone,

I'm a true newbie here. I popped onto the part of the site with definitions something like a year ago when I was first figuring things out. I was 40 then, 41 now. Like many I've read I wish I'd known a lot more in my 20s. Things might have been different, but... then I wouldn't be who I am now.

As I get more comfortable and learn more about my asexuality it's great to find places where we gather.

Anyway... hi!

• Like 4

Welcome to AVEN.

I hope you enjoy the site.

We have a lot of stories of various experiences.

I hope they generate some interesting questions.

Have a beautiful day. 

• Like 1

Welcome, @Trace the Time Slicer! I also discovered my asexuality at 40 (I'm almost 45 now). I definitely could have used that knowledge earlier, but my journey of self-discovery has been very rewarding. You probably have lots of positive discovery still to come!

• Like 1

Yes, I feel like a little bit of a difference being 40 and out of the category of young adult now into adult lol.

• Like 2