40's

Asexy Librarian
1 hour ago, argar said:

1A7tdtX.jpg

I wonder sometimes if he is somewhere on the ace spectrum. He doesn’t seem to date much. I don’t really scrutinize movie stars so I could be totally wrong. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Asexy Librarian said:

I wonder sometimes if he is somewhere on the ace spectrum. He doesn’t seem to date much. I don’t really scrutinize movie stars so I could be totally wrong. 

He seems to be with Alexandra Grant, and seems to have been for years. They just don't make a big deal out of it. However, it's always possible that their relationship is more in the QPR range - they certainly don't seem to care to show it off to us in any case, which is nice.

I’m 48 and from Northwest Indiana. I’m still learning about who I am, but would love to meet new friends. I learned of AVEN from a fan fiction & finally found out what was “wrong” with me. Absolutely, nothing! Thanks for being here!

• Like 4

Welcome to AVEN.

I'm glad you found us.

Have a beautiful night. 

@Dreamdancer, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

Hello everyone. I joined many years ago (like 2012) but RL beat me up (it was terrible), and I'll admit my first foray here wasn't very fruitful.  But now I"m back.

Older, no wiser (at least it doesn't seem that way),  A bit surprised it's grown so much (though I probably shouldn't be).

Hello everyone, and thanks for all the memes.  :)

• Like 3
Asexy Librarian
2 hours ago, Akinee said:

Hello everyone. I joined many years ago (like 2012) but RL beat me up (it was terrible), and I'll admit my first foray here wasn't very fruitful.  But now I"m back.

Older, no wiser (at least it doesn't seem that way),  A bit surprised it's grown so much (though I probably shouldn't be).

Hello everyone, and thanks for all the memes.  :)

Welcome back! I just got active again after about 10 years myself. The ace community really has grown. And changed. The pressing issues are different now than they were a decade ago, and there is so much more ace content. Back then, there were a few questionable documentaries and the asexuality podcast. Now there are books, a plethora of channels, and so much more awareness. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Asexy Librarian said:

Welcome back! I just got active again after about 10 years myself. The ace community really has grown. And changed. The pressing issues are different now than they were a decade ago, and there is so much more ace content. Back then, there were a few questionable documentaries and the asexuality podcast. Now there are books, a plethora of channels, and so much more awareness. 

I know, I've been watching it slowly build....  Back when I joined the first time I was still fighting with "Well if you're not into guys, you must be into girls - you can't like, not want ANYthing!!", or "You must be broken, go to therapy and fix it", or "You just haven't had it with me!"  ugh.

There's still the weird looks, the usual tropes, but occasionally now it's like "Oh?  Ok...." And then some honest questions.  It's a relief, to have hope, even if I"m too old now for it to matter much - I'm hoping the younger folks don't go through what I did.  So lets hope it continues!  :)

*Waves back!* 

• Like 3
AceMissBehaving
1 minute ago, Everlookingup said:

Hey everyone - just introducing myself. I'm from the UK and have just found this wonderful site after finally realising I'm asexual. It's so great to find I'm not alone! 

Nice to meet you! Figuring it out, and then finding other folks who feel the same way is kind of awesome 

• Like 2
Purple Red Panda
3 minutes ago, Everlookingup said:

Hey everyone - just introducing myself. I'm from the UK and have just found this wonderful site after finally realising I'm asexual. It's so great to find I'm not alone! 

Welcome 💜🍰

Awesome to have you here and you are very much not alone.

Just curious if anyone has heard of someone becoming asexual after bad marriages with bad sexual experiences or being with partner in which there is a lack of sexual compatibility? 

13 hours ago, luvkatz said:

Just curious if anyone has heard of someone becoming asexual after bad marriages with bad sexual experiences or being with partner in which there is a lack of sexual compatibility? 

Asexuality isn't a choice somebody makes when they've had bad sex. It's an orientation people are naturally predisposed to. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, luvkatz said:

These experiences may put you on the path to realizing you're asexual, but no, they don't make you asexual. If someone is turned off by sex after such a situation, that's called being sex averse. One can be sex averse and have any sexual orientation. I am both asexual by orientation and sex averse due to bad experiences in a marriage that ended extremely acrimoniously.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Seajules said:

These experiences may put you on the path to realizing you're asexual, but no, they don't make you asexual. If someone is turned off by sex after such a situation, that's called being sex averse. One can be sex averse and have any sexual orientation. I am both asexual by orientation and sex averse due to bad experiences in a marriage that ended extremely acrimoniously.

I've never thought highly of sex and could do without it. My ideal romantic relationship would be more of a companionship. I don't feel the need for affection often and this applies to partners, family, and friends; however, it sounds like if I were a textbook asexual my scenario would read differently so perhaps I am just averse. This gives me more material to research and reading is something I do enjoy. Thank you for the feedback.

• Like 2
Asexy Librarian

I need to get my hosting account back up and running so I can join in the meme sharing 😄

Hello!👋 I'm 45 and only had the nerve to stand up and say 'Hey world! I'm Asexual and I'm ok with that!' last year!  My miserable marriage ended and I felt free to be me for sthe first time ever.

This brought up two 'opinions' people had about me.

1, that the menopause caused a strange breakdown 

2, That I was 'fed up' with sex!

I even had someone say to me that she understood because if she split with her husband she couldn't see herself with anyone else too! 🙄

I wasn't fed up with sex.  It wasn't a new thing.  I'd always felt like that, I just didn't have the words to express it or the nerve to stand up and say 'Hey! I'm different!' Instead I conformed to social stereotypes.

From now on I am grabbing life by the neck and living it to the max!!

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, OldNews said:

Welcome, @Vicki475! Congrats on embracing your identity. I'm sorry you had to deal with people saying those things.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me anymore.  I tried to explain it and they didn't get it.  So that's their issue!  I'm going to be me from now on!! 😁

• Like 2