anyone past 50 on here?

6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Can anyone watch this without tearing up

Not me...

• Like 7
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

keep telling myself that... but it’s been four weeks and...

I hear you. It's been three weeks for mine although I have been working at home two days a week since November. It's only since I've been home all the time that this obsession has started.

1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Your cats are beautiful,

Thank you!

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

Not much else matters today.

That is so sad, @Deja Vu; what a terrible loss. 💔

Musician John Prine also died of Covid-19 today.  I had just set eyes on the pink supermoon at 7:00 tonight when I heard the news.  

"You've broken the speed of the sound of loneliness."

• Like 8
Autumn Sunrise
12 hours ago, Nick2 said:

There was a cat in a nursing home that would sit on the bed of a person who was about to die.  Imagine coming into your room and finding that cat on your bed.

I think it must be an indicator of the state of hysteria I'm in at the moment ( . . . because it isn't really funny)  but I literally couldn't stop laughing at this . My stomach still hurts!

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise
9 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

Reality hit home today, hard. I was sitting in the waiting room at the wound clinic about 2 hours ago. While waiting, I got the devastating news that a long time friend and fellow dog show competitor lost his life yesterday to Covid-19. I've been friends with him, his wife, and sister, for ~25 years. Not much else matters today.

I'm so sorry to hear that, @Deja Vu *hugs*

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise
10 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Can anyone watch this without tearing up

How about "Where?" from "The Rabbits"?? (Sorry, my limited tech skills don't extend to posting links, but it shold be easy enough to find on youtube.)

• Like 4

@Deja Vu sorry to hear of your loss.

@Kazbe, love the kitties :wub:

@Autumn Sunrise, is this it? 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I think it must be an indicator of the state of hysteria I'm in at the moment ( . . . because it isn't really funny)

Yeah.  I've lost it before when it was wildly inappropriate.  Nervous laughter is a strange one--maybe a coping mechanism for anxiety or a very tense situation.  I remember when my then-husband seriously hurt his back and needed an ambulance--the medics told me I could ride along in the ambo, but I was barely holding in laughter, so said I would follow in my own car.  As soon as they carried him out on a stretcher and I closed the door, I collapsed in hysterics, falling on the floor and rolling around.  I loved my husband and did not want to see him suffering in any way.  It was the strangest experience, and I have never told him.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I think it must be an indicator of the state of hysteria I'm in at the moment ( . . . because it isn't really funny)  but I literally couldn't stop laughing at this . My stomach still hurts!

Black humour is a strange thing, but a coping mechanism.  My dad and his comrades in WW2 certainly used it.  He fought in the desert with Monty in the tank regiments and could never talk about the terrible things he experienced, but we did hear some of the black humour from him.

• Like 8

My granddog and I went hiking this afternoon on Sauvie Island in the Columbia; we walked to Warrior Rock Lighthouse on the north end of the island.  It's just a 6-mile walk round-trip from the trailhead (and the island is perfectly flat, so no hills), but since Lincoln runs way ahead and back to me over and over, I'm sure he put in at least twelve miles.  Plus he found a mole or vole mound on our way back to the parking lot and tried to dig a hole straight to China, hoping (expecting!) to unearth the critter, so I'm sure he'll sleep well tonight.  In our four hours wandering through nature, we only ran into four other people.  They were all headed back the way we'd come, so we had miles of woods and river beaches all to ourselves.

Another wonderful day of social and physical distancing.  I'm excited to figure out where I'll go tomorrow.

• Like 10
Autumn Sunrise
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

@Deja Vu sorry to hear of your loss.

@Kazbe, love the kitties :wub:

@Autumn Sunrise, is this it? 

Yes, that's the one. My daughter bought me the music for "Where?", and I've been trying/learning to sing/play it. The singing's fine (and I love the song, although it makes me cry), but the accompaniment is, er, challenging - 5 flats in the key signature, and lots of leger lines! A worthy cure for the brain deterioration that seems to accompany ageing:lol:

• Like 6
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

I'm excited to figure out where I'll go tomorrow.

If you were over here you might be going to court to be fined next.

"Don't drive more than 5 minutes to start an exercise walk" is our constraint.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

If you were over here you might be going to court to be fined next.

"Don't drive more than 5 minutes to start an exercise walk" is our constraint.

YIKES!

(But how do you know I'm not 5 minutes from the river?)

• Like 8
1 minute ago, pickles mcgee said:

(But how do you know I'm not 5 minutes from the river?)

:ph34r:

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Kazbe said:

It's only since I've been home all the time that this obsession has started.

There’s still hope for you, then!  My dude is always like this in the evenings; I just didn’t realize he could sustain it 7 days a week for all my waking hours.  He actually meets me with a toy when I get up in the morning.

• Like 9

@Deja Vu I'm so sorry. 

I admit that at the early stages I thought it was an overreaction, but Im in Seattle and most people here are thankfully taking this incredibly seriously. I got some groceries at Trader Joes on the 5th. They closed that store on the 6th because a worker there tested positive, having last worked on the 4th.

I have had to close my business and am really disappointed in the financial support options for sole proprieters. Many in my field have permanently shut down because paying the rent, licensing, etc has ruined them. Really thinking of going back to my old profession now.

@Kazbe Your kitties are SO cute! Do you have the toy called "da bird?" That would always tucker my kitties out. They were absolutely hysterical how they would play, totally oblivious to all obstacles in the house trying to catch it (read:crashing into everything). Such good belly laughs! Word of warning......stash the toy somewhere they cannot get it when not in use or it will be destroyed immediately. Im sure it helped that I have no furniture (by choice, I just dont like "stuff" so they had the entire room to race around.

• Like 12
BobRossRules

People here in Idaho Falls have absolutely no concern.  Despite the Stay at Home order, people are still driving, and are out-and-about.  As a matter of fact, traffic is heavier!  Where are all these people going with most businesses closed?  I guess to buy out any in-stock toilet paper.  People are still waking and gathering in crowds.  Runners and bikers are speeding past people huffing their breath.  I have not seen 1 person wearing a mask out in public.   Our waiting room is now closed, and folks have to wait in their cars.  I'm amazed when I see Times Square or other cities with large crowds of people usually gather now empty.  It's eerie.  I wish that was the case here.  A lot of people are going to be sick very soon! I can't believe how stupid and defiant folks are here in my town.:(  I'm going make a public service announcement on my neighborhood website.  

• Like 11
13 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

People here in Idaho Falls have absolutely no concern.  Despite the Stay at Home order, people are still driving, and are out-and-about.  As a matter of fact, traffic is heavier!  Where are all these people going with most businesses closed?  I guess to buy out any in-stock toilet paper.  People are still waking and gathering in crowds.  Runners and bikers are speeding past people huffing their breath.  I have not seen 1 person wearing a mask out in public.   Our waiting room is now closed, and folks have to wait in their cars.  I'm amazed when I see Times Square or other cities with large crowds of people usually gather now empty.  It's eerie.  I wish that was the case here.  A lot of people are going to be sick very soon! I can't believe how stupid and defiant folks are here in my town.:( 

Not just in your town! I've read there are people all over who believe it's just a hoax. Yesterday there was an article in the NY Times about the Idaho group (the "Liberty rebellion," I think they are calling it?) who wants to have a gathering of 1,000 people for Easter...they say it is against their Constitutional rights to not be allowed to congregate. (But I bet if they get ill with the virus they WILL be seeking medical care....) Also just heard about the people going to hospitals and filming (and then posting) the near-empty parking lots, saying, "See, there's no pandemic, the hospitals are empty!" Yeah, dumbasses, only because hospitals (like where I work) have canceled almost all elective surgery and non-emergency appointments, also sending some staff home to be on-call. And people aren't being allowed to use the ER like a walk-in clinic... it's for EMERGENCIES. So of course the lots are not full!

Most everyone that I have seen here in NH has been wearing a mask since the CDC advised it, and most people are social distancing (except for an occasional clump of people walking...that may or may not be a family group).

• Like 11

@faraday☘ thats crazy, People here are taking it REALLY seriously. Barely any traffic, everyone wearing masks. Our governor has asked people to report those out for reasons other than "essential." There are huge fines and possible jail time for offending.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Noochy said:

@Deja Vu I'm so sorry. 

I admit that at the early stages I thought it was an overreaction, but Im in Seattle and most people here are thankfully taking this incredibly seriously. I got some groceries at Trader Joes on the 5th. They closed that store on the 6th because a worker there tested positive, having last worked on the 4th.

I have had to close my business and am really disappointed in the financial support options for sole proprieters. Many in my field have permanently shut down because paying the rent, licensing, etc has ruined them. Really thinking of going back to my old profession now.

@Kazbe Your kitties are SO cute! Do you have the toy called "da bird?" That would always tucker my kitties out. They were absolutely hysterical how they would play, totally oblivious to all obstacles in the house trying to catch it (read:crashing into everything). Such good belly laughs! Word of warning......stash the toy somewhere they cannot get it when not in use or it will be destroyed immediately. Im sure it helped that I have no furniture (by choice, I just dont like "stuff" so they had the entire room to race around.

I'm sorry about your business. I thought there were some provisions for small businesses in the new stimulus package. I hope you find a solution one easy or another.

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

Now I am laughing at you laughing.  It must be contagious.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, Noochy said:

I got some groceries at Trader Joes on the 5th. They closed that store on the 6th because a worker there tested positive, having last worked on the 4th.

I have had to close my business

Sorry to hear you’ve had to close your business, @Noochy —and surely there are countless sole proprietors in similarly difficult straits.:(

Two Trader Joe’s near me closed temporarily for “deep cleaning” too, presumably also because of a worker’s diagnosis, though that was only hinted at on the store’s notice.

I read an interesting article about the reasons for the shortages of one of this thread’s favorite topics, toilet paper.:P Panicked people hoarding it is certainly one reason. But another is that everyone is using way more at home, since that’s where they’re spending all day instead of being (and using the facilities) at work, school, and other public places. A number of the companies that make toilet paper in jumbo rolls for industrial clients would need to adjust their manufacturing processes to make the types of rolls that are designed for home use.

• Like 11

I’m sure that contributed to the initial slow restocking.  People here wiped out all the TP the weekend before WFH started.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

wiped out all the TP

good, or at least amusing, choice of verb

• Like 12

I thought about adding “no pun intended”... but then I decided to just own the pun.

• Like 11

I went grocery shopping this morning (early) and was actually able to buy toilet paper--the first time I've even seen it  at the store in almost 5 weeks. It was very exciting!

And yes, using it at work certainly cuts down on the quantity one needs at home. A friend and I were discussing this last week, in fact. She is retired and home all the time; I work full time, so home usage is not equal. 

Oh goodness, an entire post about toilet paper.... I apologize.

• Like 12

I’m rationing at home.  I have to stop by the office sometime next week and may use their TP freely.  XD

• Like 8
10 hours ago, ryn2 said:

He actually meets me with a toy when I get up in the morning.

George has started doing that! He walks down the hallway with a toy mouse in his mouth, chirupping, and drops it at the door to bedroom where I often tread on it. Thank god it's only a toy mouse.

9 hours ago, Noochy said:

Your kitties are SO cute! Do you have the toy called "da bird?" That would always tucker my kitties out.

Thank you! No, I don't have "da bird", although they have similar toys. They haven't shown a lot of interest with anything with feathers and "da bird" is around $30 here, so buying it is a bit of a risk. Their favourite interactive toys are a caterpillar on a string on a stick, a mouse on a string on a stick, and a laser toy. But they play like crazies for 10 minutes, get bored, then want to do it all over again in half an hour.

Sorry to hear about your business. I know a few sole traders who have shut up shop, most with nothing to fall back on.

• Like 9