anyone past 50 on here?

I have been shopping at my local town centre M&S, which is quiet as the town centre is deserted.  Senior hours here are for over 70s.  Hopefully no one would let me in, but I haven't tried. :P 

• Like 9

If there was a limit on the count of people allowed in at the large market I went to yesterday, it wasn’t evident and felt busy, particularly with shoppers who seemed oblivious to the social distancing guidelines. Friends later told me the senior hours were worse than other times. I’ll resume using only smaller grocery stores, which had been working well for me; I just wanted a few items they don’t stock.

Dreamt last night that I was meeting an old friend for lunch at a favorite restaurant; as we were being led to a table, I woke up and remembered that’s not happening any time soon.:(  

One of the major museums near me said yesterday that they expect to be closed through June.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

the numbers allowed into some stores is probably calculated by things like aisle length, tills available, and such, making a formula that fills an entire blackboard to come up with the answer

They said each store in the chain (in New England) is based on the stores square footage....

1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

Friends later told me the senior hours were worse than other times. I’ll resume using only smaller grocery stores, which had been working well for me; I just wanted a few items they don’t stock.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed with senior hours.

• Like 9

My grocery chain isn’t limiting the number of people but I haven’t found it crowded.  I don’t go within the first few hours it’s open, though.

• Like 8

I don't do anything early in the day. That's just my metabolism and preference. So my last shop, 10 days ago now, was at 4.30 in the afternoon. No queue to get in, although it was being monitored, and I got 95% of the stuff I wanted. My stocks of some of the more popular things that I didn't need to buy then are lower now, of course, and it may be different when I go for my next shop in a few days time. I'll go late in the day again. And hope I'm just as fortunate.

• Like 10

Huge queues outside supermarkets today. Simple tip in this case. Car park bays are usually around 2.4m, 8' wide, so one person per bay is safe distancing, you don't need to leave three bays apart. 

Work has been cancelled through lack of interest, so the lawnmower has had its first run of the season, albeit with an interruption when a wheel fell off. Fortunately whoever designed it used their head so its a 5cm, 2" handnut holds it in place, so you're not scrabbling around trying to find the missing nut. Bindweed is reappearing, so that got a feed of glyphosate, and kitties are being kept in for a couple of hours. They don't mind as the sun is on the other side of the house 

• Like 7

Hello from the Pacific Northwest of the USA! Im a wee bit under 50 so hopefully that's ok :) .......(and yes, it IS raining currently and has been for days. Havent seen the sky since I cant remember when).

Edited by Noochy
typo
  • Like 11
9 hours ago, sga said:

i do not consider lipton tea LOL.

tea snob, eh? :P 

4 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Dreamt

I had a bad dream last night - I was out somewhere were people were crowding together and I couldn't get them to keep away from me.

2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I don't do anything early in the day.

That's usually my preferred time to do stuff, and it used to be a good time to avoid crowds (because many people are not morning people?).

56 minutes ago, Noochy said:

Hello from the Pacific Northwest of the USA! Im a wee bit under 50 so hopefully that's ok

Yep, we don't check IDs here. All are welcome. So, welcome and :cake: ! 

176 people in one store sounds like a lot to me. :P 

(of course, for me, three really is a crowd. :lol: )

• Like 7

@Noochy, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 5
BobRossRules

Welcome newbies!!  Crazy world we are living in.  I hope everyone is keeping safe as possible.  I'm going to work 2 days a week, and working and hanging out at home the rest of the week.  This was the first week of my new schedule, and I like it.  Once this pandemic is over, I think I will stick to this schedule.  I'm okay with trading longer days for more days at home in my PJS.  

I ordered some masks online, I'll be sporting this when out and about.

Spoiler

IMG-7414.jpg

• Like 11
14 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

My ex is a jazz music fan; I am not.  He made a mixed CD recently called "Breaking Jazz Stereotypes," with which he is trying to entice me and another of his non-jazz-loving friends.  He asked if I would listen to it; I said No.  He asked if I would listen to it for a double dip ice cream cone; I said Yes.  I got the CD in the mail today, and along with a list of the tunes and their artists, it also says:

1 listen = 1 double dip

2 listens = 2 double dips

3 listens = 3 double dips

4+ listens = for pure pleasure

Pretty cute!

In all honesty, my relationship with jazz is more complicated than stated.  I love jazz-influenced music (jazzy rock, bluesy jazz, jazzy bluesy rock, etc.).  Contemporary music would not be the same without jazz, and I am grateful.  My ex has not cared for jazz vocals, but likes what I call "straight jazz"--the frenetic improv instrumentals that go on forever and pretty much unnerve me.  He says I'll probably like 1/3 of the CD, and I notice on the list here that there are a number of vocal pieces by artists I'm familiar with and even like (Ray Charles, Sarah Vaughan, Chet Baker, Nat King Cole).

I like smooth jazz and listen to it whenever driving.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Hide contents

IMG-7414.jpg

Sloths!!! Very cute....

I fashioned a mask out of a bandana and hair elastics. A little too much fabric but serviceable.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Nice!

(and good for when one is in a slothful mood... :lol: )

I think I listen to some jazz, but I'm not very good with music in general or in identifying types of music. I mostly just listen to songs I like regardless (or even oblivious) of genre. :) 

• Like 7
Diana DeLuna
8 hours ago, Noochy said:

Hello from the Pacific Northwest of the USA! Im a wee bit under 50 so hopefully that's ok :) .......(and yes, it IS raining currently and has been for days. Havent seen the sky since I cant remember when).

I'm just a wee bit over 50 by 3 months, and so far....the verdict is in...I hate it!! 😆 Anyone can post here. Have some of this with some hot tea.

Cake-Slice-Noocy.jpg

• Like 9

As I was going to work this morning at about 7 I passed my local supermarket. There was already a line outside of people waiting to get in. I am glad I don’t need anything badly enough to have to go shop.

welcome to the new folk! 

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome to the thread, @Noochy :cake: :cake: :cake: It's a good time for us to be supporting each other :)

• Like 9

@Diana DeLuna (IvoryBill), welcome to the thread 🎂 🎂

Oh well, laundry on the line, rubbish bag in the bin, now for a hard morning's AVENing on the cabrank. In the last couple of weeks my daily postcount is higher than the kilometres I've driven 😋😋

• Like 10

Walked Little Dog in the park which is just up the road from here.  Nice and quiet, lots of sunshine and bird song.  Even the runners are beginning to understand social distancing, but I move away from them as far as I can, as I feel they would send droplets out further than walkers.

The official advice here is not to wear face masks (though you can if you want to, obviously) and you can't get any if you want them.  Staff at checkouts use sanitiser between each transaction.  Apparently some are wearing gloves, and some customers object to that unless the gloves are changed between each customer, which I doubt is being done.  I don't know which is best, but I suspect gloves could pick up germs more than regularly washed/sanitised hands.  I have to go shopping soon. :P  

• Like 7
32 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Had to google cab rank.

:P Me too; it wasn't a term I'd come across on British T.V. shows or newspapers.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

The official advice here is not to wear face masks (though you can if you want to, obviously) and you can't get any if you want them. 

People I know are sewing their own masks, but I can barely even thread a needle. 😷 I did dig out an old cotton eyeshade that looks workable as a face mask. I’ll carry it with me to wear if I go to a store, but am unlikely to use it if just taking a walk where there’s no one around. 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

The official advice here is not to wear face masks (though you can if you want to, obviously) and you can't get any if you want them.  Staff at checkouts use sanitiser between each transaction.  Apparently some are wearing gloves, and some customers object to that unless the gloves are changed between each customer, which I doubt is being done.  I don't know which is best, but I suspect gloves could pick up germs more than regularly washed/sanitised hands.

Yes, unless gloves are being changed between each customer, germs just get transferred between surfaces, right? As for masks, I would think it's a good reminder to NOT TOUCH YOUR OWN FACE until you have the opportunity to sanitize or wash. With patients (the few we are still seeing, that is), I am now wearing gloves, per new administrative protocol, but masks only as needed. And I wash, wash, wash. (And my hands hurt, hurt, hurt....)

1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

People I know are sewing their own masks, but I can barely even thread a needle.

Same here! My "expertise" consists of sewing on a button.... 😊

• Like 10

Thank you all for the warm welcome! May I ask what the significance of the cake and bread is? 

• Like 9

Luckily, we have plenty of thermometers, no sharing, so we only have to change gloves occasionally. I've been wearing my masks everywhere. People love telling me "That won't protect you from getting it, you know".

My stock reply: "As a healthcare professional, I do know that, but, I'm not on a ventilator yet, am I?" Usually shocks them silent enough for me to get away from them.

• Like 11
Autumn Sunrise
4 minutes ago, Noochy said:

Thank you all for the warm welcome! May I ask what the significance of the cake and bread is? 

I think it's just different kinds of cake . . . for Aces, "cake is better than sex" :D

• Like 8
56 minutes ago, teatree said:

And I wash, wash, wash. (And my hands hurt, hurt, hurt....)

The authorities have failed to mention that besides washing your hands and carrying sanitizer, we now need lots of hand moisturizer too.<_<

Slightly belated welcome to @Noochy! :cake: Just to be clear, no face masks, gloves or sanitizer are needed to socialize here. :)

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Tja said:

Luckily, we have plenty of thermometers, no sharing, so we only have to change gloves occasionally. I've been wearing my masks everywhere. People love telling me "That won't protect you from getting it, you know".

My stock reply: "As a healthcare professional, I do know that, but, I'm not on a ventilator yet, am I?" Usually shocks them silent enough for me to get away from them.

That gave me a good laugh.  So far, here are some of the dismissive comments I have encountered:

"it's just a little bug"

"it is nothing worse than the flu. and people die from the flu every year"

"lets just take care of the sick and let the rest of us  get back to living our lives"

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I think it's just different kinds of cake . . . for Aces, "cake is better than sex" :D

That reminds me.  I have a piece of chocolate cake waiting for me in the kitchen.  Later.

• Like 11