anyone past 50 on here?

21 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I'm not sure whose cats and whose land you are referring to

My yard, neighborhood cats.  The only two cats I've had here have both been indoor cats (their choice, not mine; they are scaredy cats).  But in this apartment and the house I moved from, there are/were numerous neighborhood cats who use/d our yard.

• Like 5

Reality hit home today, hard. I was sitting in the waiting room at the wound clinic about 2 hours ago. While waiting, I got the devastating news that a long time friend and fellow dog show competitor lost his life yesterday to Covid-19. I've been friends with him, his wife, and sister, for ~25 years. Not much else matters today.

• Like 10
10 minutes ago, Deja Vu said:

Reality hit home today, hard. I was sitting in the waiting room at the wound clinic about 2 hours ago. While waiting, I got the devastating news that a long time friend and fellow dog show competitor lost his life yesterday to Covid-19. I've been friends with him, his wife, and sister, for ~25 years. Not much else matters today.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. :(

Take care

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Deja Vu said:

We see the #s on TV each and every night.  But each of those #s is a person, with a life and personality with people who care about them.  People who contribute to our society.  Then on top of it we can't grieve like we wish to because we can't gather in groups.  This thing is going to take many many years if not a generation to get over.

Sorry for the lose of your friend.

• Like 12
21 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

We see the #s on TV each and every night.  But each of those #s is a person, with a life and personality with people who care about them.  People who contribute to our society.  Then on top of it we can't grieve like we wish to because we can't gather in groups.  This thing is going to take many many years if not a generation to get over.

Sorry for the lose of your friend.

They are holding a drive by, stay in your car, visitation on Monday. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Noochy said:

And thanks everyone for the cake explanations. I never knew "asexual" was a "thing" until about a month ago. I just thought I was a far outlier and would never find anyone on the same page as me. Now I have hope!

I think for a lot of us older asexuals we just stumble on to it. The younger folks seem to be more proactive in their 'research'. I was 44 when I saw a newspaper article about it.

• Like 9
38 minutes ago, Deja Vu said:

Oh, how sad....

• Like 8

@Deja Vu Sorry to hear this. 

@Nick2 I would hope that when the doubters hear about prominent people succumbing to COVID-19 they would change their mindset...

Seeing the coverage of churches staying open, I just shake my head.

On a better note, down to our woodlot again today. Cut down and blocked another maple. Two trailer loads out to where we split and pile it.

Trying to get as much accomplished before the blackflies arrive in late April with the onset of warm weather.

• Like 9

Speaking of warmer weather.  It was 89 degrees here today.  A record for this date.  But Sat and Sun they are calling for snow.  Those eggs in the yard might has frost on them.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Nick2 said:

Speaking of warmer weather.  It was 89 degrees here today.  A record for this date.  But Sat and Sun they are calling for snow.  Those eggs in the yard might has frost on them.

Holy crap! What state are you in? Mid 50s here in Ontario today and possibly flurries on Thursday.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Deja Vu said:

32 minutes ago, teatree said:

Oh, how sad....

I'd second that. In the UK funerals are limited to 5 (I think) mourners and only close family. That at least allows for the body to be cremated/buried with some dignity. I'm sure there will be lots of memorial services held in the months ahead when movement is freer.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

Reality hit home today, hard.

I’m so sorry...

• Like 6
1 hour ago, will123 said:

Holy crap! What state are you in? Mid 50s here in Ontario today and possibly flurries on Thursday.

Similar here...

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I'm sure there will be lots of memorial services held in the months ahead when movement is freer.

That’s what people seem to be doing here.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, ryn2 said:

That’s what people seem to be doing here.

My mother reads the obits in the Toronto Star on Saturdays and yes that seems to be the current practice

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Can anyone watch this without tearing up

No. Or listen to or sing it. Once in a group singing lesson, we tried to sing this. I could not get through the chorus.  The verses are great, slightly philosophical, but that chorus. I remember every animal that's ever died in my arms and now here I am sitting, typing, and crying. Crap.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

I got the devastating news that a long time friend and fellow dog show competitor lost his life yesterday to Covid-19

That is very sad. Condolences.

At the moment, I don't know of anyone who's contracted Covid-19.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Kazbe said:

That is very sad. Condolences.

At the moment, I don't know of anyone who's contracted Covid-19.

Same here. Hopefully I won't.

• Like 7

@Deja Vu, deepest sympathies on the loss of your longtime friend.

I read the other day that before this pandemic is over, it’s likely that most of us will directly know someone who has succumbed to the virus. 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

@Deja Vu, deepest sympathies on the loss of your longtime friend.

I read the other day that before this pandemic is over, it’s likely that most of us will directly know someone who has succumbed to the virus. 

I hope that's not the case. It reminds me of something I read several years ago about child kidnappings in the US and the stats some 'expert' was throwing out during an interview. The writer was doing the math and supposedly the numbers would've meant that people would've known personally a child that had been abducted. He researched the issue and couldn't find anyone who knew of an abduction.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

I'd second that. In the UK funerals are limited to 5 (I think) mourners and only close family. That at least allows for the body to be cremated/buried with some dignity. I'm sure there will be lots of memorial services held in the months ahead when movement is freer.

My friends are having a private service and internment. Not many other options.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Noochy said:

Catios are great! A friend of mine just had an elaborate one made for his kitty, its marvelous. Ive always kept my cats indoors, too. There are too many awful things that can happen to them outside and I loved them too much to let anything happen to them. If you play with them enough they are happy as clams being inside.

I would love a catio for my two indoor cats. They are driving me nuts with wanting to play incessantly. It's worse now that I am home all the time. They have multiple cat trees, plenty of windows to look out at the world beyond, and I play with them twice a day for 10-20 minutes (depends on how quickly they get they bored or distracted). Vigorous play as well - up and down the cat tree (s), over the lounge, running as well as jumping. They have multiple interactive toys - balls that move around of their own accord, toys that chirp when batted, etc, etc. I also make interactive toys out of small boxes and newspaper. I hide treats and a toy behind the newspaper and they have to dig them out. Toys are taken away and brought out on rotation every few days. Yet still they are bored. George expresses his boredom by jumping up on high shelves where he often knocks things over. Murray whinges like a toddler. Yep, he wanders around the house going making little whiny grunts. Sometimes they play with each other. When bored, they take turns in being mean to each other. Grr!

Luckily, they do eventually go to sleep so I can get some work done. And I do love them. They are sweet and loving, if somewhat demanding. And a catio is a bit too expensive - I've already looked into them.

George:
George-8.jpg

Murray:

Murray-6.jpg

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, Kazbe said:

I would love a catio for my two indoor cats. They are driving me nuts with wanting to play incessantly. It's worse now that I am home all the time. They have multiple cat trees, plenty of windows to look out at the world beyond, and I play with them twice a day for 10-20 minutes (depends on how quickly they get they bored or distracted). Vigorous play as well - up and down the cat tree (s), over the lounge, running as well as jumping. They have multiple interactive toys - balls that move around of their own accord, toys that chirp when batted, etc, etc. I also make interactive toys out of small boxes and newspaper. I hide treats and a toy behind the newspaper and they have to dig them out. Toys are taken away and brought out on rotation every few days. Yet still they are bored. George expresses his boredom by jumping up on high shelves where he often knocks things over. Murray whinges like a toddler. Yep, he wanders around the house going making little whiny grunts. Sometimes they play with each other. When bored, they take turns in being mean to each other. Grr!

Luckily, they do eventually go to sleep so I can get some work done. And I do love them. They are sweet and loving, if somewhat demanding. And a catio is a bit too expensive - I've already looked into them.

The first bold reminds me of this ad that is on TV here right now:

On the second bold, I thought all cats were demanding?

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, will123 said:

On the second bold, I thought all cats were demanding?

My previous two were nowhere near as demanding. In fact, I've only had one cat who was as demanding as these two and he was a Tonkinese (known to be demanding).

Gotta watch those drug addled Gummi bears.

• Like 10
19 minutes ago, Kazbe said:

And I do love them.

Oh, they’re adorable!

One of mine is also obsessed with playing with me now that I am working from home due to COVID-19. 

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

One of mine is also obsessed with playing with me now that I am working from home due to COVID-19. 

Hopefully it is a phase? The novelty has to wear off, right?

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, Kazbe said:

Hopefully it is a phase? The novelty has to wear off, right?

I keep telling myself that... but it’s been four weeks and...

• Like 7
52 minutes ago, Kazbe said:

George:
George-8.jpg

Murray:

Murray-6.jpg

Sounds like your cats have it made!

• Like 10