anyone past 50 on here?

4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

(but I respect others’ right to feel differently.  :)  not judging.)

No worries.  I wouldn't even mind if you were judging.  I'm comfortable with my feelings.

4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I just can’t wish anyone a slow, painful death.  :(

We only mentioned the ICU, not death!  But since you mention it, I would want his to be quick.

And if he doesn't get re-elected in November, I care much less.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, sagausten said:

I'm 34 and sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of teenagers here.

If anybody is looking for a real conversation feel free to write me.

Welcome and :cake: !

AVEN is a bit heavy on the younger demographics. Also, do you know about this thread? (not that you're not welcome here, too; we don't check IDs for age :D )

p.s. @David Bell, welcome and :cake: to you, too!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, will123 said:

Around 2000 a friend had ripped a CD which included Chet Baker's My Funny Valentine

There are sooo many great versions of My Funny Valentine!  I've probably heard this one, but I'll have to check it out again.  

I saw deer and mosquitoes up on Powell Butte this evening--two animals I've never seen there before.  With all our recent rain, the ponds at the top are very full right now (they'll be bone dry later in the summer).  The skeeters must have hatched from the water in the past day or two.  They came out a half hour before sunset, so I'll have to keep that in mind when planning hikes there.

There were seven deer grazing in the big meadow when I was heading back towards the forested trail.  They would pick up their heads and look at me, then just go back to grazing.  It was all very chill. 

• Like 8

Everybody, we're all sensible mature adults here. I know we have a couple of national leaders who's politics don't meet with universal acceptance, but wishing that someone would catch a potentially fatal disease when their ally from the other nation is in intensive care is not in the best possible taste. 

@pickles mcgee, you're lucky that those deer are so unafraid of humans. Here get within 50m and they run away. 

@Muledeer, @ryn2, I hope C-19 is less serious in pets. Many species are carriers for a disease without being affected by it. 

• Like 8

Children in the UK and around the world have been sticking rainbow pictures on their windowsChildren here, and elsewhere, have been putting rainbow pictures in their windows.  I walked past a beautifully decorated window on my way to M&S - not the one shown, which is from a newspaper.  It was so colourful it lifted my spirits.

• Like 8

Since I didn't have the supplies for rainbow-sign making, my 7-year-old neighbor made one for me to display in one of the front windows. (As the mom told me, they have LOTS of time to make them!) Other kids are decorating the sidewalks with chalk pictures and positive words/phrases. Another thing I have recently heard is that people put teddy bears in their windows and then the kids walk around the neighborhood on a "bear hunt" counting all they can spy.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Everybody, we're all sensible mature adults here. I know we have a couple of national leaders who's politics don't meet with universal acceptance, but wishing that someone would catch a potentially fatal disease when their ally from the other nation is in intensive care is not in the best possible taste. 

Well now I've been judged to be in bad taste, and still I'm at peace with my flight of fancy.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I hope C-19 is less serious in pets.

So very much same!!  For now vets here are recommending COVID-19 patients with cats stay well away from them but that’s pretty impossible for people who live alone/families where multiple people are ill.

• Like 7

My neighbour's cats have taken to pooing in my garden. I've always wondered why it is socially acceptable to let your beloved moggy roam around the neighbourhood pooing wherever it wants, yet if you allowed your pet dog to do that you'd be pilloried.

I was particularly annoyed that the bed I cleared and sowed with poppies seeds last week had become a favourite spot. I'm lucky that I have some fruit netting in the garage and have now protected it, but still. Grump.

• Like 8

Hi everyone,

I've been away from this site for about a month. Dealing with my still unhealed back, mom locked down in assisted living, starting new job, shelter in place requirement in my state, 100% shift to working at home... and of course covid.

Will try to check in more often now.

I hope everyone is staying safe!

• Like 11

@Midland Tyke, unfortunately it's because you've just dug the bed that kitties are abusing it. The soft soil is easier to dig in. Try putting citrus peel down 

• Like 5
On 3/23/2017 at 9:16 PM, Gentle Giant said:

I thought maybe that was it. Happy birthday, Mole! :cake: :)

Yep, we'll have the best music to listen to in our old age. I remember discussing with former co-workers when we get old would we start to like polka music or something? But no, we'd like what we liked growing up.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:25 PM, Gentle Giant said:

Yeah, I agree. That's why I rarely listen to the radio anymore. I like to hear the other great songs that never get played on the radio. I'll listen to the whole album on vinyl record, tape, CD or on Spotify. If I want to mix it up I sometimes listen to Pandora.

@cdrdash Happy birthday to you, Cathy! :cake: :)

@chair jockey Good to hear that your health issues are not as bad as it seemed and things are getting treated.

well past that.  still trying to master the art of abandoning all hope.......

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Children in the UK and around the world have been sticking rainbow pictures on their windowsChildren here, and elsewhere, have been putting rainbow pictures in their windows.  I walked past a beautifully decorated window on my way to M&S - not the one shown, which is from a newspaper.  It was so colourful it lifted my spirits.

In Canada too!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

My neighbour's cats have taken to pooing in my garden. I've always wondered why it is socially acceptable to let your beloved moggy roam around the neighbourhood pooing wherever it wants, yet if you allowed your pet dog to do that you'd be pilloried.

X2

The nearby city tried to enact a 'control your cat' (my words) bylaw. The cat owners freaked out and council watered down the bylaw.  ARRRGH!

• Like 6

@will123in British law cats are considered feral. That's why there's no "fouling" laws, and no legal obligation, if driving, to report a collision with a cat. 

• Like 6
16 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I would wish it on Trump.

10 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

No worries.  I wouldn't even mind if you were judging.  I'm comfortable with my feelings.

We only mentioned the ICU, not death!  But since you mention it, I would want his to be quick.

And if he doesn't get re-elected in November, I care much less.

I'm hoping he doesn't get re-elected and the world can return to some semblance of order without the bully. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/us-blocks-face-masks-canada-n95-protection-equipment

This was brought up immediately by Canadian officials:

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/mayor-u-s-diplomat-discuss-vital-role-of-windsor-nurses-in-detroit/

I doubt Trump could've found Canada on a map before his FIRST visit ever to Canada during the G20 meeting in Quebec City...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/india-releases-hydroxychloroquine-stocks-amid-pressure-from-trump

Unlike our previous unpopular premier (who kept her seat in the last provincial election), maybe he'll disappear, but I doubt it.

• Like 9

When I have had cats they were kept indoors, so none of them were out doing their business in other people's gardens, nor killing wildlife, and also not getting run over by cars or savaged by coyotes or poisoned. That was my choice. Not judging.

3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

For now vets here are recommending COVID-19 patients with cats stay well away from them but that’s pretty impossible for people who live alone/families where multiple people are ill.

I wonder if it's possible for the virus to go from cats to humans, too?

I received the masks I ordered and washed them in soap and water as the package recommended before using. Now they are drying. Assuming they are good and dry the next time I need to go out I will wear one next time I need to get groceries, which shouldn't be for a few more days at least.

I like the rainbows and teddy bears in windows (but haven't been out anywhere to see if people are doing that here).

Take care all! :) 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@will123in British law cats are considered feral. That's why there's no "fouling" laws, and no legal obligation, if driving, to report a collision with a cat. 

you can imagine the outrage if I shot one or two of them, though

(Note I'm not going to and don't own a gun)

I do think that it would be good manners of cat owners to keep an area (or a well maintained litter tray) that cats find suitable in their own garden. Most seem very happy to not have to deal with the poo, though.

• Like 6

Catflaps are the problem. For many single folk they're the ideal pets because they look after themselves whilst their slave is at work. Some, like mine, use their own garden as a litter tray, some don't. 

Ideally a litter tray is the last resort, a cat will use one if the alternative is the floor, but that's it

• Like 5

@daveb, one of the most difficult points there is that cats know if someone is sick and play nursemaid. If I've cancelled a morning due to an indescretion the evening before it's "we want food" then they'll ignore me, if I'm lying in bed because of an illness they won't let me out of their sight. Last time I caught somethingnastyitis I could tell it was "day in bed" partly because of how I felt, partly because they wouldn't leave my bed 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Skycaptain said:

@daveb, one of the most difficult points there is that cats know if someone is sick and play nursemaid. If I've cancelled a morning due to an indescretion the evening before it's "we want food" then they'll ignore me, if I'm lying in bed because of an illness they won't let me out of their sight. Last time I caught somethingnastyitis I could tell it was "day in bed" partly because of how I felt, partly because they wouldn't leave my bed 

There was a cat in a nursing home that would sit on the bed of a person who was about to die.  Imagine coming into your room and finding that cat on your bed.

• Like 8
Just now, Nick2 said:

There was a cat in a nursing home that would sit on the bed of a person who was about to die.  Imagine coming into your room and finding that cat on your bed.

I've read about that cat. It's mentioned in "The devious book for cats" 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

That was an episode in House MD too.

When I had surgery on my foot the cats reaction was to sit on my foot, something she never normally does. According to a cat behaviour researcher friend she could tell it hurt and was trying to make it better with body warmth 🤔 Anyway there is no way I could keep her away if I had Covid, she loves to snuggle with people with a temperature, and I'm selfish and would want to cuddle.

3 hours ago, daveb said:

When I have had cats they were kept indoors, so none of them were out doing their business in other people's gardens, nor killing wildlife, and also not getting run over by cars or savaged by coyotes or poisoned. That was my choice. Not judging.

Same, except judging.

• Like 5

Can anyone watch this without tearing up

• Like 7
2 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I consider raking up the poos just part of my civic duty.  Like taxes. 😻

I'm not sure whose cats and whose land you are referring to

• Like 5

Catios are great! A friend of mine just had an elaborate one made for his kitty, its marvelous. Ive always kept my cats indoors, too. There are too many awful things that can happen to them outside and I loved them too much to let anything happen to them. If you play with them enough they are happy as clams being inside. And yes, not bothering neighbors is important, as well!

I would never wish anything awful to happen to anyone. I would wish that they would reform and do good for society instead. Everyone would benefit from this outcome.

And thanks everyone for the cake explanations. I never knew "asexual" was a "thing" until about a month ago. I just thought I was a far outlier and would never find anyone on the same page as me. Now I have hope!

• Like 9

I know about cats playing nursemaid. I still remember the time I was temporarily living at my mother's house between jobs/school. She had a little black and white cat that became attached to me when I got the flu. I didn't mind at all. :) 

• Like 7