anyone past 50 on here?

6 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

The official advice here is not to wear face masks

That was what they advised here for a while, but I think part of the reasoning was to save masks for people who "really needed them".

2 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I think it's just different kinds of cake . . . for Aces, "cake is better than sex" :D

For more, see http://wiki.asexuality.org/Cake :) 

24 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

That reminds me.  I have a piece of chocolate cake waiting for me in the kitchen.  Later.

yum :) 

• Like 9
44 minutes ago, daveb said:

That was what they advised here for a while, but I think part of the reasoning was to save masks for people who "really needed them".

No directive in Ontario or from the Canadian government. I'm avoid people period so if I go out to the woodlot why bother.

I think wearing one may give people a false sense of security leading to meeting other people.

@Noochy Welcome to AVEN :cake:

• Like 8

Hello @Noochy 

Today I went a one mile walk- in my back garden. I was walking for about 20 minutes so I must have done at least a mile. The sun was out. The sky was blue. The spring flowers were blooming. Would have been lovely if it weren't for the knowledge that exercising in my back garden was a must not a choice.

One of my grandsons has lost his job because the little garage where he worked has folded. I hope he can find something else, but...

Glad to see that everyone here seems to be keeping well.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, will123 said:

I think wearing one may give people a false sense of security leading to meeting other people.

It has the opposite effect for me.  If I see someone wearing a mask in public, it reminds me to keep my social distance from everyone.   I saw only one person wearing a mask in the grocery store yesterday, but it was a powerful reminder to keep two meters away from everybody when possible.  It still seems socially unacceptable to wear masks and or gloves in public, but I hope that will change.  I may try to set the example, but I currently don't have the courage to do so.  Maybe a stylish bandanna would help me ease into it.  I bought a box of surgical masks back in January when this whole thing was developing, although they are not the N-95 type.

Edit - as an afterthought, responding to Will, the same argument about that false sense of security has played out when wearing disposable gloves was mandated to foodhandlers making ready to eat foods.  There is some truth the the false sense of security, with people not washing their hands as often and abusing the purpose of disposable gloves, like not changing them, but personally, I would still rather have somebody wear gloves (when making my sandwich)  rather than trust that they washed their hands (properly or at all) after using the restroom.

Edited by Muledeer
  • Like 9

In my town there is a sudden division between the Trump fans (now in masks) and the non-fans (without) so there’s a bunch more tension.

The grocery story is now full of dots on the floor reminding everyone to stay “a cart apart.”

People are being good (for the most part) about making room to pass when out walking, etc.

• Like 9
On 4/4/2020 at 10:28 AM, Noochy said:

Hello from the Pacific Northwest of the USA! Im a wee bit under 50 so hopefully that's ok :) .......

Hi, and welcome! :cake:

Yes; as others mentioned, everyone's free to post in threads, regardless of age.

For example, me entering this "club" "illegally" because I kind of like and relate to the topics being discussed. :ph34r::P 

Also, the cake, here, is a welcome present for new members or is a virtual way for members to thank others, celebrate their birthday, express sympathy if someone's having a bad day, etc.

• Like 10

Had lobster bisque and chocolate cake for lunch.  This sheltering in place is sure rough.

My brother told me about an incident at a local grocery store where people were yelling at an old man for not being 6 ft away from them and people fighting over items in short supply on the shelves.  I thought it would not be long before our true colors started to show.  A nation Ok with caging kids is not going to be nice to each other during a real disaster.

• Like 11

Managed to get in a 4 hour hike at my local park yesterday.   There was a mixture of dark clouds, light clouds, and blue sky.  I got spit on a few times but mostly stayed dry.  It looked like it was raining on the Santa Cruz ridge in the distance but the steady rain never came to the center of the Silicon valley where I was hiking.

I came across maybe 15 folks during the 4 hours I was out hiking.  I had to wait to cross a narrow bridge as a family of four was on it and it was too narrow to keep a 6 foot distance from them, but it was a short wait.   At one point I was on a paved path where the path was about 8 feet wide and there was a fence I could not cross.  I came across a couple walking next to each other.  I asked them if they could walk single file so I could stay 6 feet from them and the guy rolled his eyes and said not to worry and I would not catch anything.  Guess he doesn't listen to the experts.   I turned my back to them as they passed me by and got as close to the fence as I could.   I noticed lots of couples walk next to each other and none of them seemed to be aware of how that makes them get closer than 6 feet to folks on the other side of paths.  For all the other couples I was able to step off the path and get 6 feet away from them.   I understand at some local parks they have made trails one way to alleviate this problem of people crossing paths when they are going opposite directions on paths.

It is now highly recommended that we wear masks of some sort when we go shopping.  I went shopping Saturday morning before I was aware of that.  About half the people in the store were wearing masks.   Next time I shop (I try to limit my shopping to once a week) I'll wear my mask.  When I went to get my shingles shot last month and I was mildly sick they gave me a mask to wear.   I saved it (it is not an N95 mask) and will use it from now on. 

Here is a link to my pictures from the hike yesterday: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nG6GFrXfKdNnUgqm6

• Like 11
45 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Had lobster bisque and chocolate cake for lunch.

Yum!

• Like 6
45 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

My brother told me about an incident at a local grocery store where people were yelling at an old man for not being 6 ft away from them and people fighting over items in short supply on the shelves.

People at mine are still behaving, fortunately, although no one is at all cordial anymore.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

you aren't supposed to be having guests....

• Like 6
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

In my town there is a sudden division between the Trump fans (now in masks) and the non-fans (without) so there’s a bunch more tension.

I'm confused on this. Trump claims he personally will not wear a mask, so wouldn't his supporters follow suit?

• Like 8

Did a short hike this morning with my younger dog. The place I went to has a very small parking area, so only about 6 or 7 cars can fit. But luckily the one car there was leaving, so I had the trails to myself.

• Like 8

Today I took a walk with, but at the appropriate distance from, a friend who has been battling cancer. We also both wore masks. For part of the time we strolled in a nearby park, and several times, bikers rode right between us, even though it was obvious we were walking “together” and there was plenty of space on my other side. I thought that was a little obnoxious.

• Like 9
BobRossRules

Regarding gloves.  Yes, they don't offer protection to the public if the gloves are not being changed and sanitized between customers.  However, the point is for self protection.  They help remind the wearers not to touch their faces, etc.  They also allow for multiple washes and sanitizations without irritating hands.  Grocery clerks are on the front lines and are at a much higher risk of contracting the virus, but they are serving the public with little appreciation.  Hand sanitizer between transactions would be ideal though.   Once you get your groceries at home wipe them down before putting them away.   

If masks were worn from the initial outbreak, then the spread would have been reduced significantly, and we would not have seen the death rates that have befallen us.  Yes, it's true that it won't prevent one from contracting the illness, but it can still filter some of the particles out and actually reduce the chances.  The greatest protection is from someone who is infected.  However, there is an incubation period, and one might be infected and carrying the virus, and spreading it others before they themselves become symptomatic.  Also, there are folks that have been exposed, carry the virus, and just don't become symptomatic.  But they can still infect others.  They might not necessarily be immune, however.  So if everyone wears a mask, then the spread would lesson.  

There was a LOT of misinformation being told to the public initially, mostly because we simply didn't know.  The first week of March I remember watching a person from the CDC stating not to let the virus interfere with your life and continue travel plans, even to China.  That has since been removed.  The CDC also advised the public not to wear masks to prevent people from hoarding N95 masks and avoiding a shortage to medical personnel.  Now they have since changed view.  Sadly, truly effective masks just are not available to the general public, but the homemade ones do offer some protection.  Even a paper towel is better than nothing.

This is deadlier than the flu, and the fact that people are still dismissing this when well over a million are infected, and nearly 100,000 have died.  That's only since January, and it is still spreading.   This is also preventing regular non-virus medical concerns form being treated.  There have been thousands of deaths due to inability to treat folks, or people waiting too late to get the help they need such as heart attacks, strokes, and ruptured appendix.

This doctor will be wearing her gloves and sloth mask when out in the general public.:D

Well that was a gloomy post.  But I do hope people are being safe and staying healthy!! 💜 

• Like 13
1 hour ago, teatree said:

I'm confused on this. Trump claims he personally will not wear a mask, so wouldn't his supporters follow suit?

He recently backed the suggestion that people should wear masks when in public, but didn’t mandate it. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Muledeer said:

It has the opposite effect for me.  If I see someone wearing a mask in public, it reminds me to keep my social distance from everyone.

Yes.  And to not touch my face.

6 hours ago, Muledeer said:

It still seems socially unacceptable to wear masks and or gloves in public, but I hope that will change.

Hmm...I don't know about a stigma here.  But...what does social non-acceptance look like?  Maybe I have just missed the cues.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

He recently backed the suggestion that people should wear masks when in public, but didn’t mandate it. 

That was the most lackluster backing I have ever seen.  It wasn't really an encouragement to wear a mask, but something like "you can wear one if your want, but I'm not gonna wear one".

1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Yes.  And to not touch my face.

Hmm...I don't know about a stigma here.  But...what does social non-acceptance look like?  Maybe I have just missed the cues.

I just don't want to be the only person in the entire grocery store wearing a mask.  Hopefully there will be more acceptance and mask wearing by the next time I have to go shopping.  I'm good for a week, now.  

Homemade chili tonight, with plenty of leftovers for the upcoming week!

• Like 10
3 hours ago, teatree said:
7 hours ago, ryn2 said:

That's what I was thinking, too. I'd expect the opposite, with Trump fans less likely to wear masks and non-fans more likely to wear them.

6 hours ago, ryn2 said:
7 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Yum!

Double Yum! :D 

3 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

This doctor will be wearing her gloves and sloth mask when out in the general public.:D

I plan to wear my masks once I get them. 

3 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

But I do hope people are being safe and staying healthy!! 💜 

seconded! :) 

• Like 7
50 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I just don't want to be the only person in the entire grocery store wearing a mask.  Hopefully there will be more acceptance and mask wearing by the next time I have to go shopping.

Gosh, almost everyone in my town IS wearing a mask and gloves...no stigma here. I felt naked without one, so just pulled up my buff (neck warmer) I still had on from hiking....

• Like 8
56 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

That was the most lackluster backing I have ever seen.  It wasn't really an encouragement to wear a mask, but something like "you can wear one if your want, but I'm not gonna wear one".

And First Lady Melania is now saying: "I ask that everyone take social distancing & wearing a mask/face covering seriously"... while Trump states "I would wear one if I thought it was important."

• Like 8
1 hour ago, daveb said:

That's what I was thinking, too. I'd expect the opposite, with Trump fans less likely to wear masks and non-fans more likely to wear them.

Well, last week there was one shopper in the store wearing a mask.  This week about 1/2 were, and they were all older boomers.  Three I know personally and do know their political preferences.  So it seems tied to his recent comments?  I guess time will tell. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

When he reads a prepared statement, he says it with such conviction (sarcasm off).

Withe the weather turning for the better we've been keeping busy at our woodlot. Got the wood splitter out of the 'back' garage and into the woods. Cut up two more trees that I had fallen last December.

Staying away from people as much as possible.

Be safe everyone!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52176222

One of my grandmothers was from Birmingham and there has always been a strong affinity to the Royals on may father's side. My mother commented that she lived thru thw Second World War, so she knows what a world wide calamity is like. 

• Like 8
On 4/4/2020 at 7:28 AM, Noochy said:

Hello from the Pacific Northwest of the USA! Im a wee bit under 50 so hopefully that's ok :) .......(and yes, it IS raining currently and has been for days. Havent seen the sky since I cant remember when).

hello and welcome!

• Like 7
On 4/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, daveb said:

tea snob, eh? :P 

nah, not really... i do like to try different kinds... but i guess for 'regular black tea' i like a strong blend.  lipton just seems like the embarassing american version of tea LOL

• Like 5
On 4/4/2020 at 11:35 AM, teatree said:

Sloths!!! Very cute....

I fashioned a mask out of a bandana and hair elastics. A little too much fabric but serviceable.

i just did that too! using a tea towel with the grinch on it :)

• Like 7
19 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Walked Little Dog in the park which is just up the road from here.  Nice and quiet, lots of sunshine and bird song.  Even the runners are beginning to understand social distancing, but I move away from them as far as I can, as I feel they would send droplets out further than walkers.

The official advice here is not to wear face masks (though you can if you want to, obviously) and you can't get any if you want them.  Staff at checkouts use sanitiser between each transaction.  Apparently some are wearing gloves, and some customers object to that unless the gloves are changed between each customer, which I doubt is being done.  I don't know which is best, but I suspect gloves could pick up germs more than regularly washed/sanitised hands.  I have to go shopping soon. :P  

@Mz Terry should you wish to use a mask, there is a very easy way to make one out of a bandana or tea towel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfCCjeSoTPw

• Like 8
10 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Hello @Noochy 

Today I went a one mile walk- in my back garden. I was walking for about 20 minutes so I must have done at least a mile. The sun was out. The sky was blue. The spring flowers were blooming. Would have been lovely if it weren't for the knowledge that exercising in my back garden was a must not a choice.

One of my grandsons has lost his job because the little garage where he worked has folded. I hope he can find something else, but...

Glad to see that everyone here seems to be keeping well.

sorry to hear about your grandson, @Tunhope, hope he can find something new.  many of us at work have just been told we are going on 'furlough' for an indeterminate amout of time... still technically have a job but not working or getting paid.

• Like 9