anyone past 50 on here?

5 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Looking at that pup it is hard to call her a pup.  Wow, what a big dog she is going to be.  You are going to have to buy dog food by the truck load.

Her looks will deceive.  Her behavior is still all puppy.  Recently, she has discovered the joy in unraveling a roll of toilet paper whilst running through the house.  And how fun it is to tip over her water bowl and play in the puddle on the kitchen floor.  And the joy of pulling all the loose strings out of my worn out carpet and throw rugs.  Every empty box and loose paper is a new dog toy!

• Like 11
9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@teatree

@sga, I don't have a Netflix account, but there does seem to be an awful lot of rubbish on regular TV 

Faraday gets a ribbon this morning. I sign in and have 28 notifications LOL

Times two on the rubbish programming. The Mystery of Oak Island is a prime example. The supposed treasure was buried around 300 years ago. The treasure hunters have been using the latest and greatest construction equipment for several years and have found nada.

I have no time for gold or jade mining shows too. I look at them from my career in an industrial setting and feel that the various labour departments would shut them down in a heartbeat due to the shoddy work practices.

Then you have Mountain Men and the various Alaska shows. My mother was freaking out watching 'Useless' horse logging. Her father/my grandfather did the same and she remembered watching him skid logs out of the bush with his horses.

One of the VERY few episodes of the Alaskan nonsense I saw was about a family struggling with chimney fires. Rather than clean the effing stove pipes, they struggled to build a platform so they could get on the roof to access the chimney and dump snow down it.

FFS!

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I was watching TV when Jack Ruby was shot and killed.  There has to be a lot more to that story.

A radio statio DJ that I used to listen to in the city was about my age and kept abreast of current events and history. There was a screw up somewhere and he made this comment, "I haven't seen anything botched as badly since the Lee Harvey Oswald prison transfer..."

• Like 6

I seem to recall reading something somewhere about Russell's interview.

I saw on CTV's news ticker last night about Idaho's earthquake.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, sga said:

@daveb there is actually a nova video about memory that was recently recommended to me, that you might also find interesting: https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/nvfb-sci-memhackers/wgbh-nova-memory-hackers-full-length-broadcast/#.XoQdcdNKjzI

Nova is a great show! Thanks! I'll check out that episode. 

11 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

This was my comment about the lockdown just two days, but, how quickly things change

Hopefully working in the garden will help you.

I am not having any problems with the lockdown (but who knows how long I will keep saying that). Never really had a problem with getting sent to my room when I was a kid. :P :lol: 

4 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

We also have a new duck family - three tiny ducklings scurrying around with their parents. It's lovely to see them! And we have a pair of semi-tame magpies that bonded to us during the drought when we were feeding them because there was so little to eat. Now they appear each morning when we go up to feed the chickens, and demand their share. They have such a lovely, melodious call :D

That's cool. I love to hear about your wildlife (and domesticlife). :) 

2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Yep, the brain is a fascinating organ regarding memory.  We learn a lot about memory from those who have been injured or have disease.  It's also fascinating how our memory gets so distorted, despite are belief of our accuracy.

I'm learning to be more humble about my memories. :) I mean I won't insist I clearly remember something. Oliver Sach's books are fascinating reading (at least for a layperson like me). :) 

4 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

We seem to have more channels than we ever had before, but less and less that I actually want to watch.

I find plenty of things I enjoy watching, and lots more I have no interest in. We do have a lot more channels and choice these days, but I suspect the percentages of good shows to mediocre is probably not much different than it ever was. On the other hand, because more people can make content, for venues like youtube, there is a lot more amateur content out there, too, so that could skew the percentages. Even if I just stick to broadcast tv it can take a while to browse through all of the channels and often not find anything of interest to me (and I have even filtered out some channels that I would never watch so those don't even come up when I'm cycling through).

• Like 8

Had a bit of trouble posting the last few days but have been following the conversations. The chats about china (small 'c')...  I'm a tea drinker  - loose-leaf not tea bags - and the material the drinking vessel is made from is really important! It affects the taste. I like tea from china cups. My husband makes a lot of pottery stuff, including mugs, but I never drink from any of it. If I drink coffee though, that's different. I like coffee from mugs, and drinking chocolate, although I'd drink drinking chocolate from pretty much anything.

I was 15 or so when JFK was assassinated. Tbh, I don't really recall much about it. Another place. Another country. I wasn't really interested. I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis though. It must have been just a little bit before. (?) 

I'm missing a lot of the things that normally take up my leisure time. Can't go country dancing via Zoom! I did have a folk singing session today. Fun to do but would have sounded awful to anybody listening because, as we were all singing at once, there was a delay and we were half a bar behind each other. I've done my Welsh sessions  online too.  I'm not much of a gardener, but I suppose I've no excuse now for letting the bindweed and ivy get rampant.  I swear bindweed grows as soon as your back's turned. I am so glad that I have a garden. It's quite a big one for a little 3-bedroom house so I don't have to stay stuck indoors in these trying times.

I am having Tunnocks Teacakes withdrawal symptoms.

I hope everyone stays well.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I am having Tunnocks Teacakes withdrawal symptoms.

Are Tunhope Teacakes a possibility?

• Like 10
6 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Her looks will deceive.  Her behavior is still all puppy.  Recently, she has discovered the joy in unraveling a roll of toilet paper whilst running through the house.  And how fun it is to tip over her water bowl and play in the puddle on the kitchen floor.  And the joy of pulling all the loose strings out of my worn out carpet and throw rugs.  Every empty box and loose paper is a new dog toy!

That sounds worse than actually having kids.

• Like 11
6 hours ago, Tunhope said:

The chats about china (small 'c')...  I'm a tea drinker  - loose-leaf not tea bags - and the material the drinking vessel is made from is really important! It affects the taste. I like tea from china cups.

And the water is important!! Must be fresh (not old water left over from the day before) and boiled...but not overboiled. My mom used to microwave (gasp!!!) her water, which just about killed me. 

• Like 11
8 hours ago, daveb said:
19 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

This was my comment about the lockdown just two days, but, how quickly things change

Hopefully working in the garden will help you.

Yikes, this showed me my typo.  Should be *just two days ago.

I just got done with a good hour in my yard (that's not much time, but as @faraday☘ and @daveb can attest, there's not much yard 😂).  The neighborhood cats use all our front planter boxes as kitty litters, so my main job was to don gloves and remove all the poops, then sprinkle the area liberally with cayenne pepper.  The more I keep up on that task, the fewer the poops.  I also weeded, and clipped dead stems.

Where I live there is also an enormous garden area, but I only tackled my own tiny yard today.

• Like 9
17 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

@pickles mcgee  I would be batshit crazy now if it wasn't for my walks with Little Dog.  Yardwork should help, I find gardening very therapeutic.

It really did help!  I feel quite content now.  I do try to walk each day which helps immensely, but yesterday, even though I felt great while hiking, the feeling did not carry over once I got home.

13 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

We also have a new duck family - three tiny ducklings scurrying around with their parents. It's lovely to see them! And we have a pair of semi-tame magpies that bonded to us during the drought when we were feeding them because there was so little to eat. Now they appear each morning when we go up to feed the chickens, and demand their share. They have such a lovely, melodious call :D

Oh, @Autumn Sunrise, how I love hearing of your animal sightings. 🥰  @Muledeer, too, and anyone else who reports in.  You all are helping to keep me afloat.

Speaking of afloat, I'm not a tea person, but I am loving the tea and dishware conversation!

• Like 10
On 4/1/2020 at 1:45 AM, Semisweet said:

Re: 9/11— well before I found and identified with AVEN

It was only 6 months after AVEN was founded, and before there were any forums!

21 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I have lots of clear memories from far back too, but I've noticed the past few years that some of my old memories have begun to fade.  I'll be trying to tell a story and I'll be fuzzy about a detail that I know I used to know.  And here I thought that the old memories would be safe from memory loss.

My (late) nan started writing about her earlier memories in the last few years of her life - especially those during and just after the second world war - and she found the more she wrote about her memories, the more she remembered even further back. (I still haven't read all of her writings; I'm so glad to have them to remember her by.)

For myself, my memories of things tend to get replaced by the memory of the memory, and the memory of the memory of the memory etc. Typically, I can recall recalling something before, but the original memory is either blurry or lost. On the other hand, I suppose at least the memory is kept alive in some form this way, which it mightn't otherwise be.

• Like 12
3 hours ago, Nick2 said:

That sounds worse than actually having kids.

You're not a dog person, are you?

You're profile picture was my first clue 🙂

• Like 9

@Muledeer, my two dogs combined are about the same size as Penney's head! (Maybe a slight exaggeration...but not much!) I haven't had a puppy in ages, though; not since I was in my 30s. Because of my work schedule I prefer to now have older dogs--I am able to come home at lunchtime to let them out, but they don't require (or even want!) lots of exercise. We do go for walks morning and evening, weather permitting, but they are equally happy staying home.

I predict lots of comments about dog vs cat people! Personally, I like ALL animals. I currently have just the two dogs, but a few years ago I had one dog, three cats, and seven chickens. And some people have tortoises, hedgehogs, snails, birds, potbellied pigs, gerbils, you name it...lots of other pet options. 

If I could afford to, I would have a rescue organization for senior animals!!!

• Like 13
1 hour ago, michaeld said:

For myself, my memories of things tend to get replaced by the memory of the memory, and the memory of the memory of the memory etc. Typically, I can recall recalling something before, but the original memory is either blurry or lost. On the other hand, I suppose at least the memory is kept alive in some form this way, which it mightn't otherwise be.

And have you ever realized that a memory you have is actually just based on a family photo, and not what you really remember? Or sometimes your "memories" get mixed up with those of your siblings? I once heard one of my sisters relating something as if she remembered it, when it didn't even happen to her!...

• Like 10
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Yikes, this showed me my typo.

That happens to me a lot. I don't notice some of my typos until someone quotes them. :P 

31 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

You're profile picture was my first clue 🙂

:lol: 

I'm not a dog person, but I don't think what you wrote sounds worse than having kids! (and dogs aren't puppies for 18 years) :lol: 

1 hour ago, teatree said:

My mom used to microwave (gasp!!!) her water, which just about killed me. 

I microwave water in mug (sorry, not a teacup) when I want a quick cup of tea. I use teabags, too. :P I only use a teakettle and teapot if I think I will want 2 cups of tea in succession.

1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

there's not much yard

That's true. But I guess every little bit helps (and a small garden might be easier to handle than a large one). :) 

My yard is too big, but not in a way that is of a lot of use to me. It slopes down in the backyard, with a few levels (the way it's situated is not very conducive to walking around there, especially when the ground/grass is wet). And it's too exposed to the neighbor's view on one side (not very conducive to privacy for an introvert). 

1 hour ago, michaeld said:

I think that's how it is for most people. You access the memory, but that has some impact on it. Next time you access the memory it isn't really the same original memory. I do agree that accessing it does keep it alive more. I feel like there are certain things I have pretty clear memories, even back in my childhood, but part of that is probably because those make for good stories in my head so I have thought about them and talked about them more (other memories are snippets of things, like some sights or smells, or snatches of something that struck some emotion). I find the same thing happens with dreams. If I wake up with a memory of a dream and try to think about the dream I'm more likely to retain some memory of it. Otherwise it fades away. Writing things like memoirs seem to be a good way to jog one's memory.

• Like 9

Young dogs, cats, and humans can all be adorable little menaces (my cat Ojo chewed all the electrical cords when he was teething as a kitten!), but rabbits are adorable menaces no matter how old they get.  My son used to tell visitors to please keep the door to the basement closed, as he had his office down there, but they would invariably forget, and then his bunny Leo would hop down there and chew through all the cords to my son's computers, monitors, lamps, sewing machine, etc.!

• Like 10
11 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

And bulls in china shops...don't get me started!

Mythbusters did an episode where they busted that. The bull was actually careful and didn't bust things. :P 

(if my memory is accurate enough ha ha)

• Like 7
21 minutes ago, daveb said:

That happens to me a lot. I don't notice some of my typos until someone quotes them. :P 

It is now corrected, for my future biographer.

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, daveb said:

Mythbusters did an episode where they busted that. The bull was actually careful and didn't bust things. :P 

(if my memory is accurate enough ha ha)

ha i did not know that was really an actual thing!

• Like 7

Those bulls were beautiful!  The ballerinas of the animal kingdom!  But I'll still be using the expression, cuz that was too small a sample set. ☺️

• Like 8
On 4/2/2020 at 2:59 AM, Muledeer said:

🙂

Well, I don't really feel like a cat person at the moment. My two were peacably dozing next to me at around 0500, when they suddenly decided to have a squabble. Much meowing and clawing, and my torso now looks like I dived naked through a gooseberry bush :angry:

@daveb, @pickles mcgee,  as we're talking about bulls (pedant alert) they should be "ballerini" singular ballerino, although bullerini is a better fit 😋😋

One problem with making tea hereabouts is that the water is so hard it comes out of the tap carrying a lock knife, so you get a film on top which adheres to the side of the cup. 

Edited by Mother Bread
Egg Removal (Easter 2020)
  • Like 8

My dog and cat get along well generally.  They were lying together in a sunny spot on the rug yesterday, and will nuzzle each other in greeting.

I love tea and rarely drink coffee.  My favourite tea blend is English Breakfast, preferably the Taylor's loose tea.  I always make tea, whether loose or teabag, in a china pot.  The mug has to be a fine china mug as it really does seem to taste better when served in one.

Those bulls were very nimble.  I was surrounded by young bulls once when walking my old dog.  It was quite terrifying.  One started pawing the ground and snorting.  They were in a field with a public footpath, and are very inquisitive when let out for the summer.  On the other footpath leading to the next village in the opposite direction, there was a massive bull behind a very flimsy electric fence.  I was assured by a farmhand that it was harmless and it lay and watched me and the dog go by without bothering to get up. 

• Like 9
8 hours ago, teatree said:

Or sometimes your "memories" get mixed up with those of your siblings? I once heard one of my sisters relating something as if she remembered it, when it didn't even happen to her!...

I’ve always had a firm memory of a major family event that took place when I was about 4 1/2, but my older sibling refuses to believe I could remember that, insisting I must have just absorbed whatever they might have told me about it many years ago. I stand by my own recollection.-_-

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@daveb, @pickles mcgee,  as we're talking about bulls (pedant alert) they should be "ballerini" singular ballerino, although bullerini is a better fit 😋😋

One problem with making tea hereabouts is that the water is so hard it comes out of the tap carrying a lock knife, so you get a film on top which adheres to the side of the cup. 

You could try buying Yorkshire Tea tea bags for hard water, Skycaptain. They used to do a loose-leaf hard water tea, but I think they stopped it. According to their website, hard water is 'denser' and creates more residues caused by polyphenols in tea reacting with calcium, so perhaps those residues are the film you have. Apparently, hard water makes tea darker and thicker (which is fine by me cos I like it pretty strong) whereas soft water makes a 'lighter, brisker' tea. (mental image of a cup of tea running briskly off the table and racing out of the room) And a geology fact - Harrogate (the home of Yorkshire Tea) is in a soft water area so, for testing, they bring in water from other areas of Yorkshire where the water is harder. It's why I love rocks - rocks affect everything!

And yes, @Midland Tyke you can definitely have Tunnocks Teacakes withdrawal symptoms. I don't care a toss about toilet rolls and sanitiser. I want my Teacakes .

• Like 8