anyone past 50 on here?

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Deja Vu, our three-week lockdown review is taking place, but with deaths rising and our PM in ICU it's definitely going to be extended for at least another three weeks 

Here I'd expect it to last well into May, and maybe through to the end of May, if not longer.

4 hours ago, Tja said:

I saw online that this ending with warmer weather, like the flu, isn't likely. With flair ups in warmer countries this could be ongoing until a vaccine is discovered. 

And this is part of the reason. Even when things open back up again people will need to keep taking precautions.

1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

My area has a bus system but it’s largely worthless.  Many jobs include “must have a driver’s license and a reliable vehicle” in their requirements.  There are certainly people who live in the city itself who rely primarily on the buses, but they are in the minority.

Same in most places of the western US, too. I always felt mass transit was a moving petri dish. :ph34r:

Oh, rain and/or snow! I miss rain. We're in for a too warm too soon day, with too much sun. The kind of day I feel like wearing my sunglasses indoors.

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, daveb said:

Here I'd expect it to last well into May, and maybe through to the end of May, if not longer.

And this is part of the reason. Even when things open back up again people will need to keep taking precautions.

Same in most places of the western US, too. I always felt mass transit was a moving petri dish. :ph34r:

Oh, rain and/or snow! I miss rain. We're in for a too warm too soon day, with too much sun. The kind of day I feel like wearing my sunglasses indoors.

Your comments mirror what are federal health officials are saying. We're not going to wake up one day and the virus is gone (like certain people have pronounced).

When asked about when Canada will see a peak in cases, they said they wouldn't know until they/we see a trend of declining numbers of new cases (which we haven't).

I'm surprised my Toronto friend hasnt used the petri dish comparison about the TTC.

• Like 6

I was looking into getting some groceries delivered, but they had limited time slots for delivery (the option I got was 5 AM to 7 AM on Saturday) and missing some key items (no milk), so I'd still need to go out for that (well, not need need). Still considering it and looking for a better time slot. 5 AM is a little early even for me these days. :P 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, daveb said:

I miss rain.

Our weather over the last 36 hours keeps alternating between warm/sunny and torrential rain accompanied by high winds. A thunderstorm the night before last sounded like the end of days. Which I guess is appropriate at the moment.:unsure:

I have yet to try ordering anything for delivery, though a relative sent me some sweets, which was a pleasant surprise. 

• Like 8

Well, now more of the stuff I had in my cart is no longer available and neither are time slots for delivery. I did order some chocolate from another place, and hopefully that will go through (so far they say it will).

• Like 5

Chatting with my Toronto friend the other night and she was saying grocery delivery or pick up is seven days plus.

A futile trip to the city today. Got some things accomplished but no grocery shopping. Line ups were worse than for tickets to a Led Zeppelin reunion...

Passed the other bridge project which I had forgotten. It's on a provincial highway, so it may restart in warmer weather.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, daveb said:

I did order some chocolate from another place, and hopefully that will go through

I’m down to three precious dark chocolate bars before I need to go out for more.:lol:

I got a notice from my auto insurance company that they’re sending all policyholders a $50 refund on their premiums. They’re billing it as “relief.” I don’t doubt that insurers expect to save lots of money on claims, since fewer people driving=fewer accidents.

• Like 9
Diana DeLuna
9 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Enjoy!  Where I live, the rain started late yesterday evening and today it’s been a snow/rain mix.

Thanks! As I walked, the wind picked up. Lots of blooming trees were shattering their spring blossoms in the wind, so half my walk was underneath my own private confetti parade of flower petals. It was the highlight of my day. 

Now the wind is ushering in more wintery air. Tomorrow is going to be damp and chilly. Oh well. I'll be back at work with my rigged-up mask made of folded paper towels and hair ties. Yeah, not staying home. 😟☠️

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

I’m down to three precious dark chocolate bars before I need to go out for more.:lol:

I got a notice from my auto insurance company that they’re sending all policyholders a $50 refund on their premiums. They’re billing it as “relief.” I don’t doubt that insurers expect to save lots of money on claims, since fewer people driving=fewer accidents.

I ordered some groceries from my local supermarket; supposed to be delivered by around 9 PM or so tonight, if not sooner. (including more chocolate, you know, just in case) :) 

I also got an email from my car insurance company saying they were going to refund some money (15%), because claims are down.

It got up to around 80F here today. :( 

(thankfully it's supposed to be a bit cooler the next few days, but it looks like we're heading towards summer - so I'll be waiting for fall/autumn - give me a wakeup call around September (although I might hit the snooze button until October) :P)

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

Mom ordered groceries and they were delivered today. Still can’t get toilet paper though.

We are now wearing masks at work. They are hot and suffocating, but I know it is important that we wear them.

Our Governor extended our stay at home order to May 4th.

I’ve been really trying to limit coronavirus news because it’s so scary and depressing. I try to just check local updates and things that seem new or important.

Instead of watching news I went back to reading my Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul book. Finally getting close to the end of it now. I also taped “The Secret Life of Pets” to watch and I really enjoyed it. Funny and cute. Hope to catch the second movie some time.

• Like 9

I'm actually optimistic and hopeful about the virus. Seems like the measures we are taking are helping, and some places are not being hit as hard as they could have been (nor as hard as some other places have been and are being hit; and obviously some people will be impacted more drastically). I think the outlook is pretty good in general as long as we keep doing what we should do, like physical distancing, hand washing, and all of the things the experts recommend. :) 

• Like 8

Grocery delivery keeps getting pushed out. Around 8 PM they texted to say demand was high and my delivery would be between 9:15 and 9:45. Now it's been changed again to between 10:15 and 10:45. I guess I'm staying up for a while. I did specify for them to leave it on my doorstep, but I don't want it left there overnight. I probably wouldn't be able to sleep anyway in that case. I'm sure they're doing their best though, so I'm just going to wait it out.

• Like 7

A few positive items here about the virus situation.  A 101 year old who had a fall, was admitted for surgery and then developed Covid19 has just been discharged from hospital.  A woman in her fifties with type 1 diabetes and kidney problems from that condition has survived intensive care treatment and been discharged.  The media tends to pick up on the bad news first, and the deaths are tragic, of course, but people are surviving, and many will have recovered at home from minor symptoms.  Our Prime Minister is still in hospital but out of ICU.

Some police are still suffering from their inner Hodges' syndrome, with one police chief threatening to have his officers search our supermarket trolleys for non-essential items.  So  they would presumably arrest you for having a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar in there.  Quite mad, and I did hear that a branch of Pets at Home would let people buy dog food but not treats or toys.  

A blossom picture from the garden for more positive vibes:

20200409-153702-resized.jpg

• Like 11
4 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Some police are still suffering from their inner Hodges' syndrome, with one police chief threatening to have his officers search our supermarket trolleys for non-essential items.  So  they would presumably arrest you for having a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar in there.  Quite mad, and I did hear that a branch of Pets at Home would let people buy dog food but not treats or toys.  

That is obviously way over the top.

But then you read that Greater Manchester Police had to break up 660 parties/gatherings last weekend and I just despair. There must be over 10000 people at those 'events' undoing much of the good work done by everyone else. Brainless.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

So  they would presumably arrest you for having a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar in there.

That does seem dumb, assuming you have a good balance of essential things as well.  It’s not like you’re in the store longer because you grabbed cookies on the way by.

• Like 7

@Kazbeda bird is totally worth it! Ive had ALL the feather toys and this one is different. The rotating feathers make a fluttery/buzz type sound. 100 percent recommend.

The other toy that can really tucker a kitty out is those little laser pointer toys. Its  hysterical watching them zoom around trying to catch the little light dot. If you eve want to see your kitty pooped out from fun get thses two!

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

with one police chief threatening to have his officers search our supermarket trolleys for non-essential items.  So  they would presumably arrest you for having a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar in there. 

By that so-called logic, they should then fine the supermarket for selling those products and arrest the store workers for putting them on the shelves.:wacko: A position of authority plus a lack of common sense is a dangerous combination.

• Like 8

If I may stray from the popular topic, Im curious.....

I dont see anyone here posting about significant others. Is anyone here in a relationship (committed or not). Interested in one but havent found a good fit? Dont want one now but maybe later? Dont want one ever? Even if you are aromantic I feel like a committed relationship can have appeal so you know someone "has your back." I have friends, but lets face it, at the end of the day their famiies are their first priority, and rightfully so. Not to mention the issues that can come up more and more as we age...

• Like 9
39 minutes ago, Noochy said:

If I may stray from the popular topic, Im curious.....

I dont see anyone here posting about significant others. Is anyone here in a relationship (committed or not). Interested in one but havent found a good fit? Dont want one now but maybe later? Dont want one ever? Even if you are aromantic I feel like a committed relationship can have appeal so you know someone "has your back." I have friends, but lets face it, at the end of the day their famiies are their first priority, and rightfully so. Not to mention the issues that can come up more and more as we age...

Not interested in a relationship.  Too late in the game.  It has and can be a problem down the road.  For example, I just recently had surgery and had to stay overnight at the hospital.  They required someone be there during surgery and to take me home.  These kinds of things are more of a worry for us than those with a significant other.

• Like 9
Custard Cream

Fellow oldies - if anyone wants to play online games such as pictionary or Cards against Humanity, please feel free to join my Covid19 survival Discord. Next game is Cards against Humanity in half an hour, but we play most days at the moment!  We are a mixed group of aces, DnD players and, for unknown reasons, Finns.

https://discord.gg/zEPW7v

Link valid for 24 hours but just PM me if you are interested and can't get access.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Noochy said:

The other toy that can really tucker a kitty out is those little laser pointer toys.

Several years ago I was cat-sitting, but the cat was too smart for laser pointer toys. He quickly figured out he could never really catch it and started ignoring it. Some cats need to actually catch something tangible once in a while. :) (things like the feather toys are better for them - my old cat loved that sort of toy) 

4 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

That is obviously way over the top.

Yeah.

Obviously there are things that people shouldn't do, but buying a human treat or a pet treat while doing other essential shopping seems reasonable to me. (and my order which arrived around 10:30 last night included some non-essentials, like cookies). But people shouldn't stretch it too much. My sister got angry at her ex-husband for going out multiple times to get non-essentials (she was staying with him temporarily; that ended).

55 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

LOL

Is that little movie based on something? Seemed creepy in a stylistic way, as if parodying something.

2 hours ago, Nick2 said:

They required someone be there during surgery and to take me home.  These kinds of things are more of a worry for us than those with a significant other.

Definitely a consideration, and one we have talked about in this thread before in relation to things like going in for a colonoscopy. There are practical things like that, and also things like friendships, that make me think about relationships. I guess my ideal at this point (or once we can start meeting people in person again) would be to have a best friend close by so we can get together any time. I'm not opposed to a significant other kind of relationship some day, but a best friend is great, too. :) 

• Like 9

@Noochy, I've never been in a relationship. If you'd asked me eighteen months ago would I be happy if that was to remain the case, I'd have said "Yes", now I'd say "With the right person, I do want a relationship"

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Noochy said:

The other toy that can really tucker a kitty out is those little laser pointer toys.

One of my cats loooooves these.  I have seem some veterinary guidance recently, though, that they can cause/worsen anxiety and obsessive behavior because they don’t provide closure (from a neurochemical perspective) as there’s no prey to bite down on.  The suggestion is to (limit laser play, and) land the dot on a physical toy at the end of the play session so the cat can “catch” it and “come back down.”

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Noochy said:

Is anyone here in a relationship

I was in a long one but was dumped in late 2018/officially done in 2019.  I try not to complain about it here but I posted quite a bit in other subforums at the time.

• Like 8

My daughter and her partner shopped for me today as there still don't seem to be any online slots. ( @Noochy -for my husband and me. Been married nearly 52 years now.) They only went to the one shop but it took them over 3 hours to do their shop and mine partly because of social distancing, but also because it's hard to shop for someone else.  I'd been pretty vague about weights and brands - just whatever was there - but the shelves were more stocked than they have been so they kept phoning wondering what size this I wanted and what type of that. 

Has anybody noticed how big and bright and high Venus has been lately? In the UK anyway. I know that it's been very visible partly because it's at its maximum elongation  (I had to look that up!) but I've also wondered if the lack of pollution caused by the lack of traffic has made a difference. I live on a flight path and, in the past few weeks, there have only been one or two planes flying over. Usually, the sky is full of contrails. Got to be a lot cleaner than usual up there.

I should have been going to Durham on holiday next week. Boo hoo.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Tunhope said:

Has anybody noticed how big and bright and high Venus has been lately?

I haven't noticed, but haven't been out to look. Maybe I will try. When is it visible?

• Like 7

At night 😋😋

Seriously look at an astronomy website, they'll tell you 

• Like 5