The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

thequietplace
3 hours ago, fooledbysecrecy said:

i used to like to be in the very front at some gigs,headbanging and singing along. getting older i somehow enjoy a moshpit more? :lol: but it has to be a band/songs i know really well. these days i always seem to be going to gigs after a work day so i just stay at the back try not to fall asleep lmao. 

recently i saw prophets of rage and it was nearly sold out when i bought the ticket so i could only get a seat at the highest level of the venue and oooohhh my god looking at the pit from up there was painful, wish i could've been in there!!

oh god yes 🤣 especially with AC/DC,their lyrics are the most difficult to tune out. (and so cringy from my ace point of view) normally i pay more attention to the music tho.

Ooh sounds difficult! I have an agreement with my other half when we go to gigs together - 50/50, 50% of time at back with him in the 'quiet' area and 50% in a pit or some bit of the crowd where people are moving around - I get so restless sometimes at the back.

I enjoy moshpit more with age too - weird isn't it! Agreed it is most enjoyable if you know the band well.

haha glad it is not just me - sometimes I wonder what the f*ck I'm doing listening to those lyrics but then I get caught by a riff again and just don't care. There is one Pantera song I cannot listen to though, the lyrics are tooo explicit. Rammstein 'pussy' is a bit borderline but the cannon is fun at the shows.

• Like 1
thequietplace
On 8/15/2019 at 9:42 AM, Una Salus Victus said:

As a vocal cover, holy shit. Her voice is amazing. I've just found another for Stein um Stein and that well, I'm stumped.

I prefer the original but this quite cool too. One of my fav rammstein tracks for atmosphere is Amour, I bet her voice would sound good for that one too.

thequietplace
On 5/18/2019 at 2:37 AM, CelesteAdAstra said:

If you love doom metal as much as I do...

Ooh I love this sound! Spirit Caravan anyone??

On 7/21/2019 at 11:25 PM, Superunknown said:

ahhhh hello!!

Here are some of my favorites:

While I wouldn’t consider Soundgarden to be metal overall, I think the song should in Badmotorfinger could be considered? (but go listen to Superunknown because it’s awesome, even if it isn’t mostly metal).

Love the riff in Outshined, used to be able to play this, not sure if I can still remember how. RIP Chris, gone too young :(

Tool is just awesome. 

My favourite track on 10,000 days (well that and Lost Keys - so funny!)

They were awesome headliners at DL this year.

Really, the whole album is worth a listen. Metropolis pt 2 is similar to Pink Floyd’s The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon, so I’d definitely recommend it if you like Pink Floyd, but also wouldn’t mind something heavier. 

here’s some other things, but just leaving them as links. 

Iron Maiden - Killers https://youtu.be/XlGIFNS3Idc

Dream Theater - Under a Glass Moon https://youtu.be/WqSXhynkz7g

thequietplace

Not sure if these guys have been mentioned yet? I f*cking love the artwork of Viva Emptiness and really need to get more of their albums

• Like 1
thequietplace

@agreysodark  (not sure how to make it go purple?)

haha that's cool af, wish I could growl like some of those dudes! Kinda feel sorry for the guitar getting smashed though...I feel it's pain. I don't think I could do that to mine...*goes to stroke guitar* 'shhh it's ok, I won't let that happen to you'. 🎸♥️

@thequietplace I think you have to put the spaces in my name. It should automatically suggest names as you start typing.

Watch this video. This is the Mac Sabbath answer to Electric Funeral. They take Black Sabbath instrumentals and change the lyrics. This is probably what would happen if Ronald McDonald snorted a big line of blow and listened to some Black Sabbath albums.

thequietplace
3 minutes ago, A Grey So Dark said:

@thequietplace I think you have to put the spaces in my name. It should automatically suggest names as you start typing.

Watch this video. This is the Mac Sabbath answer to Electric Funeral. They take Black Sabbath instrumentals and change the lyrics. This is probably what would happen if Ronald McDonald snorted a big line of blow and listened to some Black Sabbath albums.

@A Grey So Dark   (hey thanks!)

HAHAHA that's classic! oh I really want an SG....

fooledbysecrecy
On 8/22/2019 at 3:20 PM, Piotrek said:

@A Grey So Dark

Welcome :) 

Do you like Amaranthe? Their metal status is also quite controversial, though I'm not sure how they fit into the categories you mentioned.

i think it was amaranthe who supported babymetal in london recently? i really liked them. 

@A Grey So Dark is your avatar one of the BMTH album covers? looks familiar..

thequietplace

I really must go get on with something useful today ...one more for today...

'When I listen to metal I....... 'can't help but drive fast'

Your turn...when I listen to metal I ...?

@thequietplace

When I listen to metal I feel comforted by the idea that music comes in as many different forms as people do.

@fooledbysecrecy

You have a good eye. That is the album cover for Sempiternal. I truly enjoyed that album. I enjoyed That's the Spirit and Amo as well. Can you guess what my username is from?

Edited by Guest
Clarification

@fooledbysecrecy

You were right. That was Amaranthe that supported Babymetal recently. I don't keep up with concerts very well. My city is not that great for music unless the genre is country. Living in the middle of Kansas doesn't help with concerts. I think that Oklahoma and Missouri get quite a few good one. The only big ones I remember wanting to go to were Motley Crue/Alice Cooper back when they were doing the final four and Volbeat/Five Finger Death Punch/Hellyeah/Nothing more about five years ago. The rest of the local ones didn't sound as interesting.

I did want to see Bullet for My Valentine a while ago. That one was one a night I had a college class that wasn't scheduled. It was a day that the college was supposed to be closed but the teacher was new and he didn't know that when he planned everything out. He was about 26 so we let it slide. The building was closed so the class met at the Applebee's down the street. That was actually kind of interesting. I would have gone to the concert if I hadn't had such a good time.

fooledbysecrecy
40 minutes ago, A Grey So Dark said:

@fooledbysecrecy

You have a good eye. That is the album cover for Sempiternal. I truly enjoyed that album. I enjoyed That's the Spirit and Amo as well. Can you guess what my username is from?

ahh yes sempiternal! haven't listened to that one in ages! and haven't even heard the new album at all oops... my fave is probably there is a hell etc the one with a long name

@fooledbysecrecy

I heard one song from that album that and that was Alligator Blood. I never have heard any of the rest of it. I need to go listen to Suicide Season and Count Your Blessings. I know that even the band says Count Your Blessings was terrible but I almost want to listen to it just out of curiosity. Amo is a very different sound. It's not really metal at all except for Mantra. I did like that Oliver Sykes did a whole concept album about love. I thought mother tongue was really beautiful once I read the story behind it. There was one song that was kind of a weird inclusion. He put an interlude called ouch on the album. That little song was obviously a jab at his ex-wife.

@thequietplace

That's definitely not what I expected when I saw Skyclad mentioned ;O I know only 2 or 3 of their songs, but they sound worlds apart from this.

Great thread!

My favorites are Iron Maiden and Nightwish, and I also really like Sabaton, Kamelot, Korpiklaani, and Tyr to name a few. I've been to 2 Iron Maiden concerts (awesome!) and 2 Nightwish concerts which had Kamelot and Sabaton as "openers" (lucky me!). I also enjoy getting other people addicted to Nightwish.

Fun story: In college, I had a good friend (who was of the fairly conservative, Christian type) that played the guitar. One of his roommates enjoyed hard rock & metal, but my friend would always complain about the "loud noise" and ask him to switch to something else. One day I convinced my friend to play guitars with me a bit (I play bass). Of course, most of the songs I know are Iron Maiden so.... I forget which song we ended up playing, but it might have been Phantom of the Opera. In any case, by the end of our jam, he had a new appreciation for this type of music. A few days later, I saw his roommate in the cafeteria, and he looked at me and said, "What did you do to Danny?! He asked if we could listen to some Iron Maiden yesterday!" I just laughed. It was great!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PieceOfMind said:

My favorites are Iron Maiden and Nightwish, and I also really like Sabaton, Kamelot, Korpiklaani, and Tyr to name a few. I've been to 2 Iron Maiden concerts (awesome!) and 2 Nightwish concerts which had Kamelot and Sabaton as "openers" (lucky me!). I also enjoy getting other people addicted to Nightwish.

Hello, fellow Nightwish fan :) Which albums and songs do you like most?

(Mind you, I'd have a serious problem answering that question :D I really like the Tarja era, although paradoxically, I haven't listened to those songs much in the recent years. ). 

I've been to a Sabaton show too (with them as a headliner, in a club) although I only know a part of their output. 

@Piotrek

Can I have one favorite song per album? ;) Even then, I'm not sure I could choose.... I actually really like The Islander, even though it isn't a typical Nightwish song. Others that I'd put on my frequently played list would be Elan, Alpenglow, Nemo, Gethsemane, Scaretale, Ghost Love Score, Amaranth, Moondance, Dark Chest of Wonders, and so on. (This could become a long list if I keep going.) The album Once has a special place in my heart probably because it was the album that introduced me to Nightwish. I also really like Endless Forms Most Beautiful. What are your favorites (if you dare try to choose)?

In my opinion, Sabaton is one of those bands that's better live than on albums, but I like them quite a bit either way.

Have you listened to Tuomas Holopainen's Scrooge album? It's not exactly metal, but I really enjoy it. He wanted to write a film score, and I'd say he was pretty successful!

@PieceOfMind

I don't think I can do one per album :D Some of my favourites would be, in more of less chronological order: 

The Forever Moments, Pharaoh Sails to Orion, Devil &The Deep Dark Ocean, Bare Grace Misery, Away, Dead to the World, Dark Chest of Wonders, Ghost Love Score, Planet Hell, 7 Days to the Wolves, I want My Tears Back, Alpenglow, My Walden.  

On 8/31/2019 at 7:50 AM, PieceOfMind said:

The album Once has a special place in my heart probably because it was the album that introduced me to Nightwish.

I was introduced to them with the "Nemo", which is also the reason why I don't like it when someone disparages singles. Their role is to be simple (or at least simpler than the main body of the artist's output) and draw a new crowd. Some of those people will appreciate the more complex songs too and then you've got yourself another fan. 

I have listened to Tuomas's album once I remember thinking that it does sound like something written by him :) 

On 9/1/2019 at 12:17 AM, Piotrek said:

I was introduced to them with the "Nemo", which is also the reason why I don't like it when someone disparages singles. Their role is to be simple (or at least simpler than the main body of the artist's output) and draw a new crowd. Some of those people will appreciate the more complex songs too and then you've got yourself another fan.

Cool! I agree. I'll add that as much as I like complex songs, sometimes a simpler one is nice, especially if you're tired and looking to relax a bit. It also gives more variety to the artist's work.

I haven't listened as much to old Nightwish, except maybe the Oceanborn album, but now you've given me some motivation to go do so. :)

On 9/3/2019 at 2:12 AM, PieceOfMind said:

I haven't listened as much to old Nightwish, except maybe the Oceanborn album, but now you've given me some motivation to go do so. :)

Let me know how it goes :) 

How about other female-fronted metal bands, e.g Epica, Sirenia, After Forever, Xandria and such?

1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

Let me know how it goes :) 

How about other female-fronted metal bands, e.g Epica, Sirenia, After Forever, Xandria and such?

I haven't gotten into that many female-fronted metal bands in general. I do love the vocals that Christina Scabbia contributed to the duet version of A Tout Le Monde. Floor Jansen has a very powerful voice as does Alissa White-Gluz.

Just discovered this thread, cool to see so many ace metalheads (also love the Sempiternal avatar @A Grey So Dark, incredible album). Metalcore is definitely my favourite genre but I listen to a wide variety of stuff within the metal genre. Some of my favourite bands are Architects, Gojira, As I Lay Dying, Silent Planet, Katatonia, Sabaton, and Ice Nine Kills. 

• Like 1

@PieceOfMind

Have you listened to any NIghtwish since? :)

Meanwhile,

I only know a handful of songs by Stormlord, and this one is probably my favourite:

Spoiler

On 9/14/2019 at 12:33 AM, Piotrek said:

@PieceOfMind

Have you listened to any NIghtwish since? :)

A little bit! Unfortunately, I've been a bit busy lately, and I'd like to be able to take the time to really listen to it rather than just have it as background noise. Hopefully, I'll find some time this week.

On 9/4/2019 at 8:21 AM, Piotrek said:

I haven't listened to too many female-fronted bands, though I've probably heard a few from time to time. One of my former roommates did get me listening to Amaranthe a bit, which has a mix of male and female vocals. Maybe I'll have to give some of the others a try once I finish with old Nightwish. ;)

@PieceOfMind

Some of my favourite songs by Amaranthe:

First two ballads:

Spoiler

Spoiler

And the more typical fast pieces:

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 1