TransWhatevers of AVEN

@Light02 I relate so much with your pronoun dilemma! I have the same one... and additionally, in my language (French) since all nouns are gendered, we use he/she pronouns even for inanimate objects 😥 our ''it'' is only ever used in sentences like ''what is it'', ''it annoys me'', ''this'' or sometimes to describe abstract concepts... even our ''it's raining'' is gendered! So ''it'' is almost unusable as a personal pronoun...

It makes it really difficult to come out because people have no notion of something not gendered whatsoever, not just people. I've read a few things about how language influences perceptions, like how people associate gender stereotypes to objects according to how the noun is gendered, for example; I'm afraid that because of this, the concept of non-binary is not just unknown, but unthinkable, if even a chair has to be feminine. I myself thought that I could only possibly be binary trans for quite a long while. If all languages had a third, neutral gender (like Russian... does Bulgarian have it?), or none at all (like English), in theory it should make things easier. That being said, if said neutral grammatical gender is associated with thing, object, and thus non-human, it might be just as problematic. (I might have heard something like that about Ancient Greek? Nevermind) 

In my opinion, if a language is faulty, we can just make things up to compensate the lack of appropriate words; that's what neopronouns are for. I hope language will evolve with society, as it should, and neutral pronouns will one day stop sounding so weird. For now, I'll just stick to English I guess ^^'

(Also, I happen to be visiting Bulgaria so *waves enthusiastically* 😊

• Like 2
Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
On 7/9/2019 at 7:12 PM, CelesteAdAstra said:

So I'm on AVEN since some time, but I've never written anything in the gender thread so far. That's because I felt quite feminine lately, which is my birth gender. But I only identify partly with it, and the othe part is currently getting stronger again.

I always felt that there was something else to me besides femininity, something neutral. Not genderless, mind you, but an actual gender that is simply neutral and sexless. It was quite hard figuring it out, but when I found the term "neutrois", I knew that this was me - or partially so.

I don't want to compare my experiences to other trans* folks since I'm mostly alright with my birth gender and only experience dysphoria rarely, but it feels very right to put a name on these feelings.

Now, there are two terms that I can relate to: The first would be bigender, just not in its usual female and male form, but female and neutrois instead.

The other one is demigirl - half a girl and half of something else, namely neutrois.

So these two things are not exactly the same, I know. When a demigender has a 50/50 ratio, bigender is more like 100/100. But both feel right at times. I'm quite fluid within these boundaries, and some days I feel strongly gendered while on other days, I just don't care much and could almost count as genderless. I know that this is often described as "genderflux", ans that's yet another thing I can relate to.

Phew, quite complicated, but that's me and how I feel about my gender 😊

I relate because my gender is basically fluid between male and neutral ^_^ so I'm genderfluid but not the male/female version either.

• Like 3
Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

@Destan sorry your family is shitty like that. They're just plain rude, like wtf keep things people are allergic to away from them! :(

@Kimmie. Hope you're feeling less dysphoric today. I know what you mean, it can be so easily triggered but hard to get away from because the only people who can understand are also trans. 

My dysphoria's also getting triggered today, I have to go see family who I don't want to. Only recently accepted that I just don't want to see them, my parents kept me from coming out to my nan and now she's having memory problems and everyone's deadnaming and misgendering me to each other even if I came out to both people and I have to get some work sorted out but all of the tutoring websites force you to put a binary gender and all my qualifications I upload are under my deadname and I just feel horrible. But now I feel more spaced out than actually depressed which is a slight improvement in mood.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, PoeciMeta said:

@Light02 I relate so much with your pronoun dilemma! I have the same one... and additionally, in my language (French) since all nouns are gendered, we use he/she pronouns even for inanimate objects 😥 our ''it'' is only ever used in sentences like ''what is it'', ''it annoys me'', ''this'' or sometimes to describe abstract concepts... even our ''it's raining'' is gendered! So ''it'' is almost unusable as a personal pronoun...

It makes it really difficult to come out because people have no notion of something not gendered whatsoever, not just people. I've read a few things about how language influences perceptions, like how people associate gender stereotypes to objects according to how the noun is gendered, for example; I'm afraid that because of this, the concept of non-binary is not just unknown, but unthinkable, if even a chair has to be feminine. I myself thought that I could only possibly be binary trans for quite a long while. If all languages had a third, neutral gender (like Russian... does Bulgarian have it?), or none at all (like English), in theory it should make things easier. That being said, if said neutral grammatical gender is associated with thing, object, and thus non-human, it might be just as problematic. (I might have heard something like that about Ancient Greek? Nevermind) 

In my opinion, if a language is faulty, we can just make things up to compensate the lack of appropriate words; that's what neopronouns are for. I hope language will evolve with society, as it should, and neutral pronouns will one day stop sounding so weird. For now, I'll just stick to English I guess ^^'

(Also, I happen to be visiting Bulgaria so *waves enthusiastically* 😊

It's pretty much the same in Bulgarian, we also gender all nouns, including inanimate objects. But we also have what is called the neuter gender. A way that I've gotten more comfortable with this concept is by keeping in mind that it's literally just a grammatical rule, it doesn't ascribe any gendered characteristics onto inanimate objects. In my language for example the rule is that all nouns ending in consonants (with some exceptions) are in the masculine gender, all nouns ending in -a or -ya are in the feminine gender and all nouns ending in -o or -e are in the neuter gender. It literally doesn't matter what the object is since even the word "beard" is in the feminine gender in Bulgarian because it ends in -a (brada). The biggest problem for me is the fact that in Bulgarian whenever someone talks they have to gender all of the adjectives they use for themself, as well as the verbs in some past tenses 😥

(Hope you have a great time here 😄😄😄)

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Light02 said:

It's pretty much the same in Bulgarian, we also gender all nouns, including inanimate objects. But we also have what is called the neuter gender. A way that I've gotten more comfortable with this concept is by keeping in mind that it's literally just a grammatical rule, it doesn't ascribe any gendered characteristics onto inanimate objects. In my language for example the rule is that all nouns ending in consonants (with some exceptions) are in the masculine gender, all nouns ending in -a or -ya are in the feminine gender and all nouns ending in -o or -e are in the neuter gender. It literally doesn't matter what the object is since even the word "beard" is in the feminine gender in Bulgarian because it ends in -a (brada). The biggest problem for me is the fact that in Bulgarian whenever someone talks they have to gender all of the adjectives they use for themself, as well as the verbs in some past tenses 😥

(Hope you have a great time here 😄😄😄)

Sounds similar to Russian - I think. 

In French we don't have the neuter gender and feminine nouns often end with a mute -e, but the adjectives and verb participles are also gendered. Most job nouns also have two versions, unsurprisingly. Ugh... 

(I am! 😊

• Like 1
Calligraphette_Coe
On 7/9/2019 at 2:12 PM, CelesteAdAstra said:

So I'm on AVEN since some time, but I've never written anything in the gender thread so far. That's because I felt quite feminine lately, which is my birth gender. But I only identify partly with it, and the othe part is currently getting stronger again.

I always felt that there was something else to me besides femininity, something neutral. Not genderless, mind you, but an actual gender that is simply neutral and sexless. It was quite hard figuring it out, but when I found the term "neutrois", I knew that this was me - or partially so.

I don't want to compare my experiences to other trans* folks since I'm mostly alright with my birth gender and only experience dysphoria rarely, but it feels very right to put a name on these feelings.😊

No worries, no one here is going to feel that your appropriating anything- we are anything _but_ a monoulture here. When I grew up, there wasn't a word or a definition for what  I was and felt. And that felt pretty lonely and scary. So look at defintions and to a small extent, labels, as tides that lift all boats. Just as life came from the seas and there is much diversity there, so it is coming to be in this difficult thing called gender. Even Nature herself doesn't always play by its own rules.

Find. Discover. Be comforted. Then go out and really live.

• Like 2
no-longer-in-use
6 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

I relate because my gender is basically fluid between male and neutral ^_^ so I'm genderfluid but not the male/female version either.

If you're interested in a more specific label (of course, you can still use genderfluid), there's the word genderfaun, which means a genderfluid person who never experiences being female or feminine.

• Like 1
CelesteAdAstra
4 hours ago, Calligraphette_Coe said:

No worries, no one here is going to feel that your appropriating anything- we are anything _but_ a monoulture here. When I grew up, there wasn't a word or a definition for what  I was and felt. And that felt pretty lonely and scary. So look at defintions and to a small extent, labels, as tides that lift all boats. Just as life came from the seas and there is much diversity there, so it is coming to be in this difficult thing called gender. Even Nature herself doesn't always play by its own rules.

Find. Discover. Be comforted. Then go out and really live.

Thank you a lot! I found your text quite beautiful. I guess sometimes it's hard to allow yourself to feel valid when part of your identity matches with your birth gender... but I know that I shouldn't feel this way 😊

1 hour ago, Coddiwomple said:

If you're interested in a more specific label (of course, you can still use genderfluid), there's the word genderfaun, which means a genderfluid person who never experiences being female or feminine.

I think that's a nice label! Do you know if there's a version for someone who's never masculine?

• Like 3
Calligraphette_Coe
1 hour ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

Thank you a lot! I found your text quite beautiful. I guess sometimes it's hard to allow yourself to feel valid when part of your identity matches with your birth gender... but I know that I shouldn't feel this way 😊

It's the path of least resistance because society has programmed you that way. But even Nature doesn't always follow that 'valid' path all the time. There are people like me who fall right in the middle with our looks and traits, in my case possibly because a physcician prescribe DES to my mother. I have a baby face and frequently get 'ma'am'd. And when I really try, it's almost magic, as though with the help of clothes and makeup, I can Push people into seeing me as someone iwth the opposite chromosone configureation. 

Maybe you have to be trained in STEM to see things the way I do vis-a-vis gender. There are so many logical, proven reasons why the world isn't strictly This Or That No Exceptions. Things like the Nyquist Sampling Theory where you do conversions of one time of signal to the other and back. Too, think of Morse Code-- there are only two 'letters' in its alphabet, dots and dashes. But using combinations of the same, you can send message that are understood by anyone who understands the code, which is sooo non-obvious, but gets its 'validity' from solely being understood by peole who are trained to look at things not strictly in binary fashion.

IDK, sometime in the future, I think people are finally going to see past all the narrow Validities that trap people in quagmires not of their own making.

Until that day, be You. As the words from a passage from Kahlil Gibran's THe Prophet  tell us:

You who travel with the wind, what weathervane shall direct your course?

What man's law shall bind you if you break your yoke but upon no man's prison door?

What laws shall you fear if you dance but stumble against no man's iron chains?

And who is he that shall bring you to judgment if you tear off your garment yet leave it in no man's path?

People of Orphalese, you can muffle the drum, and you can loosen the strings of the lyre, but who shall command the skylark not to sing?

• Like 2
Fluffy Femme Guy

I shaved me arms, legs. and torso last night.
Feels amazing.

I knew I didn't like my chest hair, but I now I see just HOW much.

I hope this isn't TMI or gross for anyone, if it's a problem, message me and I'll spoiler it if a mod doesn't get to it first.

Also, on the subject of hair, has anybody here used one of those consumer-grade laser/light based hair removing machines?
If so, what's good and how much did they cost?

Even if it takes awhile I'd like to get rid of most or all of my facial hair.

• Like 4
no-longer-in-use
8 hours ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

I think that's a nice label! Do you know if there's a version for someone who's never masculine?

There is! It's genderfae.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

Since I can remember I tried to hide it, but it took me realizing I am non-binary to allow myself to shave it away. Realizing it is part of my dysphoria helped to be okay with other not hiding theirs. Before it made cringe to see other people’s chest hair. Mostly when they were wearing a shirt, not when they were topless.

3 hours ago, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

For me the hair on my breast is more of a priority, but it is so expensive. What I found was around 120 € per session and how many sessions do you need?

Fluffy Femme Guy
3 hours ago, Bloc said:

Since I can remember I tried to hide it, but it took me realizing I am non-binary to allow myself to shave it away. Realizing it is part of my dysphoria helped to be okay with other not hiding theirs. Before it made cringe to see other people’s chest hair. Mostly when they were wearing a shirt, not when they were topless.

The thing is I've never been into going shirtless outside, I don't hate it but it's not really my thing.
Part of it is my torso is not really attractive enough to pull it off, plus I'm asexual so even if I was super fit I would want to cover it up.

Not out of embarrassment, but I would rather avoid a situation where some guys would think I'm trying to compete with them for sexual attention from girls.

Just my personal opinion from experience, but cis-het allo males are the last kind of person I would want to butt heads with in that kind of situation.

I'm fine with being shirtless for swimming, but even in the dog days of summer I want a shirt on when I'm outside the pool.

3 hours ago, Bloc said:

For me the hair on my breast is more of a priority, but it is so expensive. What I found was around 120 € per session and how many sessions do you need? 

I was asking about things like these. I'm mainly interested in units like that for getting rid of facial hair.
Which ones are good/bad, cost, etc.

2 minutes ago, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

The thing is I've never been into going shirtless outside, I don't hate it but it's not really my thing.

Totally. But for me it is repulsion bordering to disgust when my chest hair is peaking out of the shirt. When being topless I am okay with it, but don't like it.

8 minutes ago, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

Just my personal opinion from experience, but cis-het allo males are the last kind of person I would want to butt heads with in that kind of situation.

Also some cis-gay men are the same. In my experience bi/pan folks are the easiest to get along with for me.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, CelesteAdAstra said:

I don't want to compare my experiences to other trans* folks since I'm mostly alright with my birth gender and only experience dysphoria rarely, but it feels very right to put a name on these feelings.

Now, there are two terms that I can relate to: The first would be bigender, just not in its usual female and male form, but female and neutrois instead.

The other one is demigirl - half a girl and half of something else, namely neutrois.

So these two things are not exactly the same, I know. When a demigender has a 50/50 ratio, bigender is more like 100/100. But both feel right at times. I'm quite fluid within these boundaries, and some days I feel strongly gendered while on other days, I just don't care much and could almost count as genderless. I know that this is often described as "genderflux", ans that's yet another thing I can relate to.

Phew, quite complicated, but that's me and how I feel about my gender 😊

This is so close my situation, but from the MAAB side and this something I wrote as an comment on a youtube video:

"I mentally see myself as 80 % agender-asexual and 20% neutrois. 
I kind of like my testerone, but not how it's produced, for a couple of weeks ago I was hit by dysphoria. Unfortunately I was at same time looking at pictures of women in leggins. That smooth/empty crotch really hit me hard.
When I realized and later accepted that I was asexual my dysphoria started. It became a constant reminder of me being single. Knowing that whenever you have an spontaneously ones, it will never be used. I really wanted to get rid of it because no one would be the receiver.
When the dysphoria has hit me I used my boxers+hipsters to forget what I had down there.My solution is right size boxers(tight fited) and one size smaller in Craft Greatness hipster.It helps me alot not to be remined about what I have. My sexual function is almost gone(self inflicted), so my thing is closer to a straw 😉 I enjoy a life without spontanous & morningwoods.
I'm not transgender as in MtF, but I have very warm feelings for the term neutrois. Which is the next generation of trans, but it will take several years until society will accept masectomy/hysterectomy(FAAB) or as for me removal of penis/scrotum but keeping the hormonlevels. I still support the neutrois idea, but being impotent as 46 yo makes life so much easier. As to surgery it should have be done in my mid 20's.

So my gender could just as easy be in a syringe. Being agender sucks !! 
nerdperson777
On 7/12/2019 at 12:17 AM, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

So untrue.

Gendered products are an interesting case
On the one hand I find it ridiculous, that "everything" is needlessly gendered.

But then I have times when I'm like "Gimme that girl stuff!"

It's the enforced aspect of it that bothers me the most.

I was at work (I work in a store), I was stocking the toy area.
This couple and their child (who seemed to be about 2, 'boy') were browsing the area. I wasn't really paying that much attention since I had work to do.
But 5 or 10 minutes later the father was asking me if we had a blue colored version of a particular toy. The toy the child had grabbed was a bright pink miniature shopping cart.

The kid was having lots of fun pushing it around. I just told him that I don't work this area a lot and he'd just have to look around, but I'm pretty sure we don't carry a "boy" version.

I need to roll my eyes at some needlessly gendered stuff now.  When I had my first dog, I wanted him to have the firefighter boots from Petsmart but whenever we were there, there wasn't a size big enough for him.  One time I actually did find the right size, but it was pink rather than blue.  I entertained the idea of giving my male dog pink boots.  Dad said that if we get him those boots, he wasn't going to walk him.  Wow dad, so helpful.

8 hours ago, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

I shaved me arms, legs. and torso last night.
Feels amazing.

I hope this isn't TMI or gross for anyone, if it's a problem, message me and I'll spoiler it if a mod doesn't get to it first.

Also, on the subject of hair, has anybody here used one of those consumer-grade laser/light based hair removing machines?
If so, what's good and how much did they cost?

Yeah, being clean shaven feels pretty nice.  The hair on my chin is really growing out now, but I don't really want to have that, as it feels too masculine for me.  I kind of want one of those home laser devices, but it's probably really expensive, doesn't do as good a job as actual laser salons, and probably costs a lot.

33 minutes ago, JON said:

This is so close my situation, but from the MAAB side and this something I wrote as an comment on a youtube video:

"I mentally see myself as 80 % agender-asexual and 20% neutrois. 
I kind of like my testerone, but not how it's produced, for a couple of weeks ago I was hit by dysphoria. Unfortunately I was at same time looking at pictures of women in leggins. That smooth/empty crotch really hit me hard.
When I realized and later accepted that I was asexual my dysphoria started. It became a constant reminder of me being single. Knowing that whenever you have an spontaneously ones, it will never be used. I really wanted to get rid of it because no one would be the receiver.
When the dysphoria has hit me I used my boxers+hipsters to forget what I had down there.My solution is right size boxers(tight fited) and one size smaller in Craft Greatness hipster.It helps me alot not to be remined about what I have. My sexual function is almost gone(self inflicted), so my thing is closer to a straw 😉 I enjoy a life without spontanous & morningwoods.
I'm not transgender as in MtF, but I have very warm feelings for the term neutrois. Which is the next generation of trans, but it will take several years until society will accept masectomy/hysterectomy(FAAB) or as for me removal of penis/scrotum but keeping the hormonlevels. I still support the neutrois idea, but being impotent as 46 yo makes life so much easier. As to surgery it should have be done in my mid 20's.

So my gender could just as easy be in a syringe. Being agender sucks !! 

Well, I know a guy who sees himself as a eunuch.  He takes cypro to lower libido, nothing else.  I never asked him for his specific gender label, but he seems pretty okay with being called male pronouns.  He's been wearing a lot more feminine clothes lately though, so he's just doing whatever he likes.

My brother remarked to me the other day that I have "masculine energy".

(He's a straight, cis guy, but he likes jewelry and talking about his feelings more than I do.)

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Bloc said:

Okay, so I don't know what your situation is, but I had a handful of stubborn thick hairs on my breasts and belly button area, (like 50-ish), and I just used one of those home electrolysis machines, and so far it seems like it was permanent, but I'll keep y'alls posted.

15 minutes ago, Feryn_Hyte said:

Okay, so I don't know what your situation is, but I had a handful of stubborn thick hairs on my breasts and belly button area, (like 50-ish), and I just used one of those home electrolysis machines, and so far it seems like it was permanent, but I'll keep y'alls posted.

It is more like 50 per cm² and they are dark.

6 minutes ago, Bloc said:

It is more like 50 per cm² and they are dark.

Yeah, laser is the way to go then. Especially if they are dark, that makes it super good for laser. As for those personal laser devices, from the trans-women I've talked to who used them it's kind of a crap shoot. They have a very small area of effectiveness and take a lot of treatments for it to be even semi-permanent, but u can find them pretty cheap on ebay, and if u have a lot of free time u can probably do it.

This happened and it was kind of funny.

I have very conservative grandparents.  My grandfather said he didn't understand gay people because "they can't procreate", we debated, then we tried to change the subject.

My grandma asks my dad how his sister is

"She's great.  Her son just went to camp in Idaho" (changing the location)

"I thought she had a daughter"

................................................................................

We cannot escape this.  I am stuck in queer hell at a fancy dinner.  I have to explain the L, the B, the G and the T.  It is a long dinner but at least the food's good.

I can't wait for summer to be over.  Skirts are comfortable *physically* in this kind of weather, but they feel "off" psychologically.

• Like 2
nerdperson777
3 hours ago, Ardoise said:

I can't wait for summer to be over.  Skirts are comfortable *physically* in this kind of weather, but they feel "off" psychologically.

T has made my body temperature way higher than before.  I never really wear anything less than a top and a bottom if I'm going places but the weather has been hot lately.  I only wear a tank and underwear in my room.  I'm not sure when I won't be able to take it anymore and I actually have to wear less clothes.

• Like 1

*sighs deeply*

Some days my body just feels too... soft.  It's not that I'm fat- I have a thin frame, and I exercise plenty.  It's just that I don't want any kind of curves.

• Like 1
Fluffy Femme Guy
On 7/14/2019 at 11:40 PM, Feryn_Hyte said:

They have a very small area of effectiveness and take a lot of treatments for it to be even semi-permanent, but u can find them pretty cheap on ebay, and if u have a lot of free time u can probably do it.

Still, the idea I can do it myself at home is very appealing.
I did poke around a bit and some of them do a decent job and last a long time if you keep at it.

If it's better than shaving or nair* I'll take it.

*:
Do not use regular nair on your face! There's version(s) made specifically for face hair.

• Like 1
Ms. Carolynne

@Fluffy Femme Guy This is something I've been wondering about too. Unfortunately, I'm blonde and laser likely won't do much with my facial hair. On the other hand, the hair on my chest and stomach is a lot darker, so I probably could use laser on that.

I'll probably be dealing with my facial hair for a long time. I hear electrolysis is very expensive and takes a lot of time. I don't really know about home electrolysis kits, or if I'd really be able to pull it off.

I have personally looked in to laser treatments more and more serious. I have dark hair, but it grows as a weed.

And sweat really hurts after you just have shaved. 

nerdperson777
12 hours ago, Ms. Carolynne said:

@Fluffy Femme Guy This is something I've been wondering about too. Unfortunately, I'm blonde and laser likely won't do much with my facial hair. On the other hand, the hair on my chest and stomach is a lot darker, so I probably could use laser on that.

I'll probably be dealing with my facial hair for a long time. I hear electrolysis is very expensive and takes a lot of time. I don't really know about home electrolysis kits, or if I'd really be able to pull it off.

I have a friend who did IPL.  I looked it up and it's not like "real" laser from what I read?  I'm just guessing that it's cheaper than laser or electrolysis because she was able to afford it and I know she can't be making that much with what she does.  It's either that or she was willing to do anything to relieve herself of that dysphoria.  I remember going with her to one of her sessions and the worker actually had to tell her not to wax between the treatments because it makes it less effective if there's no hair to destroy.  She just wanted it gone.

I considered electrolysis to hopefully get rid of my mustache, my whiskers, and some unsightly black leg hairs.

(Please tag me instead)

Last week, I went to the Netherlands with my family because we had to do some business.

A staff worker helped us with something so they tagged along with us. On our way to the car, we had small talk at the staff worker said this.

Staff worker: "Having your daughter and son with you must be nice"

My family: [awkward silence and eyeing each other]

Me: *tries not to smile and keep a poker face*

Mother: *awkward smile* "... Actually, both are daughters."

Staff worker: " Oh, I'm sorry!"

Father: "It's alright, you're not the only one. It happens often." 😅

Mother: *snaps at me* "That's why I tell her to grow out her hair, atleast for her internship."

Me: *eyes rolling* "Mom, all the pharmacists in our town have short hair."

Staff worker: "Ma'am, this trend isn't uncommon. Just let her have what she likes."  

Lol, I was so glad the staff worker took my side. Ha, take that mother! 😆

• Like 8