Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

TheBookDragon
5 hours ago, Scylactic said:

My mom thinks that I'm making an ace flag themed blanket to advertise my asexuality. Uh, no, mom. It's the same reason why I draw dragons; it's for self-indulgence. Anything that resembles the ace flag is just for me to look at and think "pretty."

okay, now I want an ace flag themed blanket. How did I not know I needed that until this very moment?

Also, I need to improve my dragon drawing skills.

• Like 3
Thujaplicata
7 minutes ago, TheBookDragon said:

okay, now I want an ace flag themed blanket. How did I not know I needed that until this very moment?

Also, I need to improve my dragon drawing skills.

Or you do what I do and impose on more talented siblings...

TheBookDragon

Also, here's an ace(ish) moment that I just remembered and happened when I was like 10 or 11.

So I was reading Anne of Green Gables (or the second book in that series) and there's this scene where they are talking about romantic types and another one later where Anne and Gilbert are sitting on a bench holding hands and maybe kissing. Anyways, this got me wondering what kind of person I would like to hold hands and kiss and the only thing my mind's eye could generate is a really deep blue (almost black) blob that vaguely resembled a human but it looked like one of those cartoony shadow people if you know what I mean.

• Like 2
TheBookDragon
1 minute ago, Thujaplicata said:

Or you do what I do and impose on more talented siblings...

you assume I have more talented siblings. you assume incorrectly.

• Like 1
Thujaplicata
56 minutes ago, TheBookDragon said:

you assume I have more talented siblings. you assume incorrectly.

Good point. I guess you'll have to rely on yourself then. Unless you have talented friends you can pester. 

• Like 1
TheBookDragon
13 minutes ago, Thujaplicata said:

Good point. I guess you'll have to rely on yourself then. Unless you have talented friends you can pester. 

...actually I do. However that does not give me the satisfaction of drawing a dragon on my own. Or creating the exact type of dragon I am imagining.

• Like 2
Thujaplicata
1 hour ago, TheBookDragon said:

...actually I do. However that does not give me the satisfaction of drawing a dragon on my own. Or creating the exact type of dragon I am imagining.

That is very relatable. Unfortunately, I lack the skill to do much more than copy and slightly alter images I find online. I did, inspired by this discussion, request that one of my sisters draw me something ace themed while I stitched on a costume cloak thing for her. So now I have one of her semi human characters (funky ears and a tail) with ace striped socks and such and an axe. It's fun

• Like 2
Queen Snowfall

The fact that we all spontaneously decided to talk about dragons counts as another Incredibly Ace Moment, I think.

Actually though, why is is that dragons are an ace thing? I legitimately feel like this stereotype has some truth to it. Maybe appreciating dragons somehow makes you ace?

But like actually, does someone have an answer to this?

• Like 2
Dominus Temporis
2 hours ago, Queen Snowfall said:

The fact that we all spontaneously decided to talk about dragons counts as another Incredibly Ace Moment, I think.

Actually though, why is is that dragons are an ace thing? I legitimately feel like this stereotype has some truth to it. Maybe being allo means you can't properly appreciate dragons because you're thinking about other stuff? Maybe appreciating dragons somehow makes you ace?

Dragons reproduce asexually in some works of fiction. 

Dominus Temporis

Here is an incredibly ace moments for you all:

Once when I was about 14 or 15, I was talking to my dad about how I thought my bed was a bit too small; I like having lots of space, and there needs to be room for me to lie on the side and watch a movie/read on my laptop or some snacks - I love eating in my bed, don't ask me why... 

He interpret this as meaning something a bit different... "Of course", he said, adding, "you will probably want to take home visitors soon"... I was very confused. "Why?", I asked. He continued, "Well, when you start high school, you'll probably want to take some ladies home". I hadn't realised I was ace yet at this point, but I thought that sounded like a weird thing to do. "That's not why I want a bigger bed", I responded. He laughed, "I bet it isn't", he said, winking...

I really hate how allos take for granted that everyone is like them. And they're completely oblivious to any signals that would point towards someone being ace. 

• Like 7
Queen Snowfall
5 hours ago, Dominus Temporis said:

Dragons reproduce asexually in some works of fiction. 

I mean, I guess, but does it really explain how much we talk about them?

5 hours ago, Dominus Temporis said:

Here is an incredibly ace moments for you all:

Once when I was about 14 or 15, I was talking to my dad about how I thought my bed was a bit too small; I like having lots of space, and there needs to be room for me to lie on the side and watch a movie/read on my laptop or some snacks - I love eating in my bed, don't ask me why... 

He interpret this as meaning something a bit different... "Of course", he said, adding, "you will probably want to take home visitors soon"... I was very confused. "Why?", I asked. He continued, "Well, when you start high school, you'll probably want to take some ladies home". I hadn't realised I was ace yet at this point, but I thought that sounded like a weird thing to do. "That's not why I want a bigger bed", I responded. He laughed, "I bet it isn't", he said, winking...

I really hate how allos take for granted that everyone is like them. And they're completely oblivious to any signals that would point towards someone being ace. 

Ok that is honestly a very weird one. Was he joking? Or is that actually normal behavior for a 14 or 15 year old? Somehow I don't think so?

As for people assuming that I'm like them, happens here a lot. I have told a lot of my friends that I'm not interested in the opposite gender in that way, and it seems to be one of those facts that they "forget" by literally the next day. It's almost magical.

• Like 1
Dominus Temporis
4 hours ago, Queen Snowfall said:

Ok that is honestly a very weird one. Was he joking? Or is that actually normal behavior for a 14 or 15 year old? Somehow I don't think so?

As for people assuming that I'm like them, happens here a lot. I have told a lot of my friends that I'm not interested in the opposite gender in that way, and it seems to be one of those facts that they "forget" by literally the next day. It's almost magical.

I personally thought he was behaving strangely, until I realised other aces have experienced similar things. And the average 15-year-old boy does seem to actually think a lot about sex... My father generally talks a lot about sexual topics as well (sadly), and he has forgotten that I'm not interested in anyone in THAT WAY so many times at this point. 

Thujaplicata
17 hours ago, Queen Snowfall said:

Actually though, why is is that dragons are an ace thing? I legitimately feel like this stereotype has some truth to it. Maybe being allo means you can't properly appreciate dragons because you're thinking about other stuff? Maybe appreciating dragons somehow makes you ace?

Okay, first, I do want to say that plenty of allos like dragons too. At least, my bisexual and allosexual girlfriend does...

I think dragons (along with unicorns) may have come from comments about asexuals basically being mythical creatures. Because we're not believed in, rare, etc. You may have seen memes about "sexual desire is what makes us human" and then the ace response of "it's great to be a god" or something along those lines?

I think it's also just that a lot of ace people like dragons and if we can claim that as an ace symbol then we will absolutely do so. I mean, I'm claiming it even if there's no real reason.

• Like 6
Auri-Fela-Mola-Davi
9 hours ago, Queen Snowfall said:

I would like to think it isn't, but based on my pediatrician, I have no idea.... So, when I had my well visit after I turned 14, the instructions changed. You know how they will tell you shouldn't be touched anywhere a bathing suit would cover? (At least mine always said something like that...) And then, the well visit after I turned 14, the instructions changed. It became, sex can be risky, and safe sex is important to prevent transmission of sexually transmitted diseases that can be terrible. And, 'I am now removing the ban of no touching anywhere a bathing suit would cover' (or something like that). And about how it is natural and so on, but it is important to be careful. And then she asked me if I had any questions, on birth control, or I believe, sex. I, of course, did not want to continue the conversation, and also decided that it's not like that's going to be happening... When I turned 15, on my most recent well-visit, my pediatrician had my dad leave the room to ask questions. She asked about things relating to mental health, and then she got onto the topic of sex. I told her I was asexual and not interested in sex. She reacted positively, probably in relation to the idea no sex = no sexually transmitted diseases... Or maybe just because... I have no clue... I don't even know if she knows what the term means...

• Like 2
Auri-Fela-Mola-Davi
On 8/18/2022 at 1:50 PM, Dominus Temporis said:

I hate it when stuff like that happens - those allos are so obsessed! 

Yeah, it definitely seems that way sometimes... Especially since many of us are not interested. At all.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Queen Snowfall said:

Maybe being allo means you can't properly appreciate dragons because you're thinking about other stuff?

Lol are you serious...?

Some sexual people like dragons, some don't. Some asexuals do, some don't. For some reason, the community just decided to adopt it as a bit of an unofficial symbol, and since loads of people like dragons and other fantasy stuff, many aces will too. It's a coincidence. I'm bisexual and indifferent to the concept of dragons, however it's not because I'm too busy thinking about sex-related things (assuming that's what you meant, because why would being sexual vs. asexual affect any other aspect of what you think about?). I have loads of random, weird, and oddly-specific interests and obsessions and all that, it's just that dragons aren't one of them. Being sexual doesn't get in the way of me appreciating/being into stuff. My partner's a heterosexual guy with lots of likes and interests that are not affected by the fact that he's 'allo' (aka, sexual) either. Same with virtually every other person I've ever known.

• Like 2

Never seen 'Lucifer' before, but couldn't help noticing that he wears a ring with a giant black stone on his right middle finger.

Now I'm wondering if it's coincidence, or are we being lumped in with Satan?🤣

• Like 3
Queen Snowfall

@Ceebs Yeah, I was just spitballing, not actually serious. I have no idea why, but I do feel like there are actually a lot of dragon fans here. Maybe it's just the people I tend to hang out with here. 😁

• Like 4

I don't know why, but I was recently reminded of a time in high school when I was sitting through a lecture about the history of French art. The teacher was showing us this one painting in particular and explaining that it was controversial at the time it was painted for being "mildly suggestive". Pretty much everyone in the class looked like they understood what was suggestive about it, and so the teacher didn't bother to elaborate... but I just kept staring at it, completely baffled. I finally raised my hand and asked him to explain what was so sexy about it.

The teacher just remained perfectly composed and said, "Well, I guess our society is a lot more desensitized to this stuff now than it was back then", then went on to explain the controversy. I just nodded along while silently thinking to myself, "Wow, people are strange".

• Like 7

Another moment I just remembered from my teenage years — my best friend in high school and I both used to have discussions about how we weren’t interested in sex, how we didn’t understand why everyone else seemed so obsessed with it, even how the idea of sex scared us. He moved to another state when we were 18 and we’ve grown apart but I still see updates on his social media and turns out we both realized we were demi/ace shortly after high school. It’s just hilarious to me that the both of us were having such profoundly asexual connections and we took so many years to realize.

I think being asexual/demisexual in high school makes it much harder to come to terms with one’s sexuality because everyone around you seems obsessed with sex so you just assume there is something wrong with you.

That person was the best friend I ever had. ❤️ He’s coming back to Washington to visit his boyfriend soon, and we talked about meeting up. Hope to see him then.

• Like 7

This ad came up on Spotify. Words like "skin-tingling" and "spine-chilling" were used. I seriously thought it was for a horror fiction podcast. 

OMG NO. It was for Trojan. 😅

• Like 3
Thujaplicata

I was texting a friend today that after my bike ride in the heat I was rather "aromatic" and eager to jump in the lake. And typing that reminded me of the occasions here where someone has accidentally gotten aromatic when they wanted aromantic. Pretty sure autocorrect has offered me that one a few times...

But I found myself giggling slightly because I was aromatic, but I am also on the aromantic spectrum so...heh.

• Like 3

I just got to hear way to much about three strangers sexlife that I didn't thought even existed. In luchtime. I fleed discretely into my room to "go get a thing". 

I think this might be more of a musing than an ace moment, but I went to see the film ' The Invitation ', and the lead actor is the spitting image of a young Sean Connery.

As they both come from Edinburgh, I got the idea that Sean Connery must have had a bicycle.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:31 PM, Thujaplicata said:

I. Am actively not thinking about it.

I have no idea and I don't want to know. I exist in a happy paradoxical state of being simultaneously aware and in denial of sex as a thing people do. 

Same

• Like 1
Thujaplicata

It just hit me: all those times when friends or sisters or whoever were talking about "he's cute" or debating if a boy was cute etc, were they talking about sexual attractiveness? I always just assumed it was the equivalent of "she's pretty" and now suddenly I'm wondering how often that means more than aesthetic beauty...

• Like 4
AFlyingPiglet

Today I was in town with a friend in a Bohemian type shopping area.  In one of the gifty type shops I went downstairs to the cellar on my own (as my friend finds stairs difficult).  

The stuff downstairs was not much to my taste although I did have a good look round. There was Satanic type stuff (I'm a Christian) lots of vaping stuff (I don't vape), goth stuff (not really me although the top hat I liked), the 2nd hand vinyl records were OK (although I have plenty of my own). Anyway, I had a good and leisurely look round at all of these things as I'm pretty broad minded. 

However I then came across a very large section in the cellar which upon finding it made me bolt straight out of there like lightning - the sex toy section!!!!   

I found my own reaction to it hilarious. That I just legged it out of there as fast as possible after coming across shelves of dildos and other objects (I didn't hang about to look). As someone who is AroAce sex just doesn't cross my mind and my reaction today just amused me. It was pretty much innate.

• Like 2
AstrophelDragon
On 8/21/2022 at 1:53 AM, Dominus Temporis said:

What the heck. You know, I really love belonging to a religion that believes in celibacy until marriage. Because I never have to deal with parents saying things like that

• Like 4
Dominus Temporis
1 hour ago, AstrophelDragon said:

What the heck. You know, I really love belonging to a religion that believes in celibacy until marriage. Because I never have to deal with parents saying things like that

You're lucky in that regard! 

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, this is delightful! 😄 Some of the stories are really funny! Now here is mine:

Ever since I was a teenager, I suspected that I was ace, but was not quite sure. What I was sure about was that I did not think of boys being "hot" or "cute" like other girls my age did. Seems that even my classmates, who I did not have that much conversations with, noticed that. I was too busy nerding over animals, anyways.

So one day, I think I was about 16 years old, I came from P.E. lessons and walked with my classmates from the gym back to school. On the way, I spotted a young man, who was presumably in his early twenties, who had a large dog on his side. I like dogs a lot, especially larger ones, and this one looked really beautiful. So I said more to myself than to anybody else: "Oh, he looks cute!"

One of my classmates turned to me and - rather shocked, asked: "Since when are you interested in guys?!"
I was confused for a moment, then rolled my eyes and replied: "Well, not the guy, The DOG, of course!" 🐶

Thats pretty much my teen years in a nutshell. 😂

• Like 15