Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Skipper Valvoline

Had a moment last week in a bakery my friends and I are going to more often.

I've never oohed and ahhed as much as I do when I'm in this bakery. But after we get in line with our items I see all the desserts and cakes that I hadn't noticed before displayed by the checkout counter.  So I gasp and just go "Look at them cakessss!"

My friend cracks up because I said it in the same salacious manner someone would say it when referring to a person's butt "look at them CAKES!"... but it was to actual cake.

Probably the most ace thing I've ever done.

• Like 13
3 hours ago, Skipper Valvoline said:

Had a moment last week in a bakery my friends and I are going to more often.

I've never oohed and ahhed as much as I do when I'm in this bakery. But after we get in line with our items I see all the desserts and cakes that I hadn't noticed before displayed by the checkout counter.  So I gasp and just go "Look at them cakessss!"

My friend cracks up because I said it in the same salacious manner someone would say it when referring to a person's butt "look at them CAKES!"... but it was to actual cake.

Probably the most ace thing I've ever done.

Extra fun since it was just cakes too, that makes it even more ace.

• Like 2

I got (for reasons beyond my understanding) a gift card for a known lingerie shop. 
So, when I went shopping with a relative of mine, I had the card with me, because I really wanted to get rid of it. The end of the story: We looked lost, so a saleslady helped us find something comfortable. Now I have a soft pair of trousers I can wear when I just want to relax.

In retrospect, it was very funny to go to a lingerie shop without wanting to buy any lingerie, since I dislike anything but my basic underwear. I felt really ace in that moment.

Oh! And that one moment where I tried to understand why hinting at sex interests a lot of allo people for a paper I had to write and just ended up muttering "I'm too ace for this."

• Like 9

One time, when I was about 16, my dad and I were leaving a grocery store and I found a screw on the ground. I picked it up and said, rather loudly, "Hey! Free screw!" I didn't realize the double entendre until my dad told me I probably shouldn't be saying that so loudly. We still joke about it sometimes.

• Like 6
23 hours ago, MorningDew said:

I got (for reasons beyond my understanding) a gift card for a known lingerie shop. 
So, when I went shopping with a relative of mine, I had the card with me, because I really wanted to get rid of it. The end of the story: We looked lost, so a saleslady helped us find something comfortable. Now I have a soft pair of trousers I can wear when I just want to relax.

In retrospect, it was very funny to go to a lingerie shop without wanting to buy any lingerie, since I dislike anything but my basic underwear. I felt really ace in that moment.

Oh! And that one moment where I tried to understand why hinting at sex interests a lot of allo people for a paper I had to write and just ended up muttering "I'm too ace for this."

Since "lingerie" and "underwear" translate the same in Finnish (alusvaatteet), it took a while to me to understand the difference. It also explains why I went shopping into a store named Change Lingerie with zero issues. ^^' My bust isn't big, but I have a ribcage of smaller size so I needed a bra with measurements that regular clothing stores didn't quite carry. They did have a solid selection of basic underwear in unusual sizes.

I think it was this Girls with Slingshots comic that made me go "wait a minute... if Jamie (the brunette) isn't wearing underwear (alusvaatteet in my head), then WHAT is that?" And that was when I figured out what is the difference between lingerie and underwear in English.

1434432970-GWS068.jpg

• Like 2

Okay and now the actual reason I came to post here:

I've been playing The Sims 4 lately. Upon the Highschool Years pack update, the game had a rather curious bug relating to sexual orientations...

Recently, the game allows customizing your sims's romantic and sexual orientations (as in if they want to romance/woohoo men, women, both, or neither, also option whether or not they are experimenting). This is a welcome addition, but the bug is... when the game generates townies (random NPCs), they have zero romantic interest towards anyone or any gender. I found this out when I was playing a Black Widow challenge and noticed that my arachnid lady had trouble with finding prey ^^'

Acearo townies are taking over the game!! xD Hide your cake and garlic bread!!

(I later got a mod to fix this. Let's see if it helps.)

• Like 6

I was beta-reading a manuscript for someone last night. This part was in dialogue:

"Moving to [city name] would put a pin in that coffin. It also means you could finally start exploring thing you haven't gotten the chance to explore before."

Up to this point, I thought the speaker was talking about exploring career options, going back to school to study something else, making new friends, sightseeing around a new city, etc... I thought to myself, how fun! that's exciting!

And then, I got to the next bit of dialogue:

"Yeah," he said. "[Twenty-ish] year-old virgin. You?"

....and I learned an alternate definition of explore 😑

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, steel_quill said:

I was beta-reading a manuscript for someone last night. This part was in dialogue:

Up to this point, I thought the speaker was talking about exploring career options, going back to school to study something else, making new friends, sightseeing around a new city, etc... I thought to myself, how fun! that's exciting!

And then, I got to the next bit of dialogue:

....and I learned an alternate definition of explore 😑

I read "coffin" and "for someones last night" which made me assume it was about exploring around as a ghost...

• Like 2

I like Melissa Etheridge's songs and take particular glee in knowing they're all lesbian. Anyway, I was listening to "don't you need" yesterday and found myself thinking: no. No I don't. I am, in fact, rather confused by the question. 

• Like 2

I do have another one, that happened just a week ago:

I had a long talk with a good (heterosexual and married) friend of mine about my thoughts and feelings on sexual/romantic relationships. She was quite affirming of me being ace and probably to some extend aro, though she of course did not understand everything, so I tried to explain  my situation as best as I could. I also told her that since I was a teenager and all other girls my age started to talk about boys being cute or hot or whatnot, I never had interest in that kind of things. Then I told her I still was not quite sure if I am also to some extend aromantic, since I kind of had two crushes. She also knew my first crush and asked me how I thought he looked like.

I said: "Well, I did not think he was ugly of course, but I did not think of him as attractive either. I liked him for his interests and personality."

Then she mentioned that one time we were on a lake together, and when she saw my first crush shirtless she thought he looked "ripped and kind of hot."

I was rather shocked by this statement (we were talking about a real human being I was friends with, here!) and just burst out "Really, you think so!?"

I think that is quite ace, if somebody has to tell you your crush looks hot, because you simply didn´t noticed and also didn´t care. 😂

• Like 8

I have a tendency nowadays where I hear of a friend or someone being too busy for a relationship, or just busy doing other stuff or something and a small part of my mind immediately thinks "that sounds somewhat ace, could they, perhaps, be a little asexual?"

The answer has pretty much been no, but I keep thinking it...

• Like 4

Saw what I suspect was an ace moment on TV the other day.

I'd already noticed that the character 'Lucifer' has a large black ring on his right middle finger.

Then, in a trailer for an upcoming episode, he's effectively being coerced by a woman who is sitting on him. 

His comment was ' this is the most evil thing that's ever been done to me'.

He's obviously not having fun, so - is this to be interpreted as an ace character,or just one not interested in his coercer?

The little I've seen, he's not looking interested in the 'love interest' written into the story.

If it's in the wrong thread, feel free to move it, I'm sure there's one about ace representation in the media somewhere around the site.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 15 I went to an event and there was a woman who could read your natal card. So I remeber the woman telling me "not one of your partners will be ever to forget you....". To which I replied, "yeah that's nice, now about money and career". The woman, my mom and pretty sure the line of women behind me were pushing to ask more about my love life, but all I wanted to know was money and jobs hahahaha

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Yjug said:

but all I wanted to know was money and jobs hahahaha

No world domination?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MayaXD said:

No world domination?

Too much of a hassle to be honest. I admire those villains in books and movies, they must have some serious management skills and more than one must be a workaholic hehe

• Like 1

I never personally find anyone "hot" or "sexy". Whenever I see a shirtless person (even with an objectively good body, according to societal standards), my mind would go "Put a shirt on no one wants to see your abs!!" and feel genuinely surprised that it's not the consensus, according to my allo bestie.

I've also never had any desire to kiss or do anything beyond it with whoever I have a crush on since my first crush in middle school. I'm 25 now and I've had plenty of romantic crushes with varying degree of emotional bonds but I know for sure I never want to have sex. Physical intimacy isn't something I want, feel, or need, and I honestly think I'd only be with a fellow ace because I know I can't compromise, being a sex-repulsed ace. For a time I even thought myself to be childish, but my asexuality doesn't change with age or dating experience.

It took me some time and even denial until I came to term with my asexuality, but I'm so proud of being ace and I wouldn't have it any other way ♠️

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Yjug said:

Too much of a hassle to be honest. I admire those villains in books and movies, they must have some serious management skills and more than one must be a workaholic hehe

You have a point, but It's more interesting than studying.

3 hours ago, Kaelie said:

It took me some time and even denial until I came to term with my asexuality, but I'm so proud of being ace and I wouldn't have it any other way ♠️

Slay!

3 hours ago, Kaelie said:

I never personally find anyone "hot" or "sexy"

I use these words in my vocab but I understood that for me they hold a very different meaning than others. I use "hot" or "sexy" as a fun way to refer to someone who's aesthetically attractive, not sexually attractive.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MayaXD said:

I use these words in my vocab but I understood that for me they hold a very different meaning than others. I use "hot" or "sexy" as a fun way to refer to someone who's aesthetically attractive, not sexually attractive.

Exactly!! I thought at first it just meant beautiful since it's used by the media for mostly conventionally beautiful people, when I understood what those words meant I still thought it's just a way of describing women with hourglass figure or muscular men, in an objective way. I was so surprised when my friends told me they actually used those words to express someone as being sexually attractive and it can be very subjective😅 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kaelie said:

they actually used those words to express someone as being sexually attractive and it can be very subjective

That's sad.

Sometimes as an asexual I feel that almost everything in our world seems so sexualized. Like, people are sexualizing things all the time, all just SEX SEX SEX.

idk...

• Like 1
On 10/16/2022 at 7:26 AM, MayaXD said:

That's sad.

Sometimes as an asexual I feel that almost everything in our world seems so sexualized. Like, people are sexualizing things all the time, all just SEX SEX SEX.

idk...

Yeah it's as if everyone worships it 

• Like 2
On 10/16/2022 at 2:26 PM, MayaXD said:

That's sad.

idk...

it's a cult

• Like 5
On 10/21/2022 at 4:42 PM, Aye said:

it's a cult

Maybe most of the world is asexual, sexuals just conquered it and forced asexuals to act as sexual so the cult can grow.

• Like 2
On 10/16/2022 at 9:26 AM, MayaXD said:

That's sad.

idk...

When I came out to a friend that I'd known since we were teens (I'm 61 and she's 58) and she said not everyone fits in the over-sexualized world. Her reaction all in all was really great. Going forward it hasn't affected our friendship.  

• Like 3

I'm still in my teens and I am constantly surrounded by disgusting comments and stuff. Sometimes it's funny sometimes it's not. I can't say people are hot without cringing forget saying  sexy. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Ac30fhearts said:

I'm still in my teens and I am constantly surrounded by disgusting comments and stuff. Sometimes it's funny sometimes it's not. I can't say people are hot without cringing forget saying  sexy. 

When I was a teen, I thought that people made sexual comments solely for the sake of being gross. Apparently I was wrong x__x

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, AavaMeri said:

When I was a teen, I thought that people made sexual comments solely for the sake of being gross. Apparently I was wrong x__x

WHAT

On 10/21/2022 at 9:42 AM, Aye said:

it's a cult

Actually, being sexual and being interested in and enjoying sex is 100% normal, natural human behaviour. Not for asexuals, sure, and that's fine and normal and natural for them, but nothing is a cult.

• Like 1