what was the most rude thing a teacher (or professor) has done to you?

-Wren-

Blaiddmelyn

The teacher who told me off for doing my work will always remain a fond favourite - we were doing presentations in groups. We had 4 topics divided between three and as my teammates hated public speaking, I agreed to do the two biggest topics, which happened to follow each other. I noted in the presentation that I was doing both but when I had started the second, I said something like, "X gives the impression of ongoing speech", andt the teacher said, "Like you. You're still talking." I pointed out that I was doing the second topic, to which her response was to say in an exasperated tone, "And you're still talking. You just keep talking." So I gave up and said the presentation was clearly done. She then told us off for not finishing the presentation when she realised we hadn't covered all of the topics.

That teacher and my mutual hatred of each other was a running joke in class. At one point, everyone was annoyed at something she'd done and (while she was out of the room) said that I should say something about it. When I asked why I'd want to, the girl next to me cheerily said, "Well, she already hates you so if you make her angry, it's not like it can get worse for you." She had a point...

Grumpy Alien

Oh loads.

When I was 7 in first grade, I had really bad bouts of a chronic illness that wasn’t diagnosed until I was an adult. The school thought I was faking it so force fed me at lunchtime. Literally I was so nauseous I couldn’t think straight or speak and they stood over me making me eat my grapes. Because this would make it worse, I ended up not in the nurse’s office but the counselor’s office because they thought I was making it all up. I genuinely felt like I was going to throw up so I asked for a trash can. The counselor told me I wouldn’t throw up so no need. I swallowed it because I was humiliated, not realizing that in her mind, I proved her right.

When I was in 7th grade, I was being bumped from regular level English to advanced. Despite my all As in that grade and having read every major book in the curriculum, they didn’t want to move me to advanced. I complained about being bored and insulted so my mom complained to the school. The school made me take one quarter of regular level with mandatory straight 100s to move up to advanced. Well I did it. But not without the teacher calling on me for every question and making fun of me when I had the correct answers. Then the teacher’s aide pulled me out of class to have me alone in her office (which was a special ed room) to belittle me. She told me that the only reason they allowed me to move up was because I had read too many books and advised me to not get an inflated ego about being with the smart kids because I wasn’t one of them.

I wasn’t the greatest kid but wow they hated me. Kind of sick.

I think if I had given more of a fuck in high school I would have realized most of my teachers hated me. I was bored as heck and burnt out and was reading much more interesting stuff on my own. I found Nietzsche and Freud in the school library and would act up to get sent there as a "punishment" so I could read. It was like a good time wrapped up in a bad time. 

I do remember getting in trouble for telling my civics teacher that I wouldn't listen to a Malcolm X speech. At the time I was a serious pacifist and would shun all talk of violence and the speech she was making us listen to was particularly violent. I asked her if we could listen Martin Luther King's speech at the national mall that I hadn't heard yet and I was suspended for three days. I explained my position to the vice principal, a black man named Mr. Martin and he understood but he wasn't in charge of my particular case so he couldn't help. I just remember thinking that I was an idiot for believing in nonviolence after that for some reason. I think my teacher may have been subtly trying to make a racist statement by showing us that speech without giving us any context, especially if she had let us know that Malcolm X had tried to become more nonviolent in the last year of his life. That would have actually made me think much more differently than I did I'm certain. But what can you do when your a headstrong 15 year old with strong principles? 

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, disGraceful said:

they hated me

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:58 AM, ByeYall! said:

most of my teachers hated me

Twisted Tempest

When I was quite young, I think in my 2nd or 3rd year at school, my regular teacher was away, so we had a supply teacher. The task we were given was to draw shapes using a ruler, but I have this problem where I can't coordinate my hands all too well so i struggle to hold a ruler straight. When I've shown the teacher they've brought me to the front of the class, showed everyone how bad my drawing was and mocked me. Then they tore up the paper and made me start over. I'm sure this would have been awful enough for any kid, but I'm Autistic, so to say the least, I didn't take it all too well.  

1 hour ago, Twisted Tempest said:

When I was quite young, I think in my 2nd or 3rd year at school, my regular teacher was away, so we had a supply teacher. The task we were given was to draw shapes using a ruler, but I have this problem where I can't coordinate my hands all too well so i struggle to hold a ruler straight. When I've shown the teacher they've brought me to the front of the class, showed everyone how bad my drawing was and mocked me. Then they tore up the paper and made me start over. I'm sure this would have been awful enough for any kid, but I'm Autistic, so to say the least, I didn't take it all too well.  

that's so messed up what your teacher did. like who the hell does that?

Twisted Tempest
25 minutes ago, -Wren- said:

that's so messed up what your teacher did. like who the hell does that?

I don't know what kind of person you would have to be, but that teacher ended up getting what they deserve. They ended up losing their job with no way of returning to teaching for doing that. I went straight to the head teacher after it happened and the whole class backed me up when the supply teacher accused me of lying. 

There were 4 things that happened in 2nd year secondary school:

- My French teacher always left one window open, even during the winter. We were assigned permanent seats and guess who sat most near that window? (me)

My seatmate at the time and I tried to complain a few times, but the teacher always brushed off with "you weaklings" and her life-in-cold-weather-story.

-My Geography/History teacher made fun of me in front of the whole class when I came in late because of the heavy snow fall. 

He had something against me I think and it was vice-versa. Every time he talked to me, he sounded annoyed. That day he was extra annoyed.

That man said "Ah look who is finally here. Class has started long ago and look at your classmates, they were all on time. Why couldn't you? "

I explained it but he took none of it and proceeded to tell me "I knocked on the window when I saw you pass the school gate like this"

He then acted out how I tried to walk to through the snow while pulling my backpack trolly. "Why didn't you look up huh?" The whole class laughed.

How was I supposed to hear a KNOCK from the 3RD FLOOR on a snowy day!

-Ah my Science teacher: I was average on his subject and I didn't really dislike or like him either.

-> I once handed my exam three times before he accepted it. The first two times, he looked through it and just handed it back telling me to try again.

I honestly was so annoyed, just let me leave. I already tried my best and gave up. After the 3rd time, he was disappointed that I left one whole page blank.

I was like do you think I remember something from a field trip that was 3 months ago? We didn't even receive any of our work back related to that. Afterwards, he wrote on my report card that 61/100 was a weak grade.  

Not sure if this is a trigger warning but I’ll say it anyway:

Spoiler

I get incredibly anxious when people talk to me, and this was a recurring problem at school which everyone knew about because I kept “acting up” (i.e. crying, running out, hurting myself, eating or destroying my stationary and books etc.)- but hey, that’s a story for another time.

Anyway, there was this teacher who kept asking me questions and he made me really anxious (he knew I got nervous about speaking in front of people). I never replied but he kept asking me and picked on me far more than anyone else (everyone else noticed this too). I got really distressed and I started crying and hurting myself in the middle of the class (he could clearly see what I was doing) but he wouldn’t leave me alone.

Luckily, some friends stood up for me and reported him. He picked on other people too, but my ability to cope with those situations is worse than a lot of people. I dreaded any interaction with him; I would spend all week worrying that I would see him again.

When people asked what exactly he had said, I couldn’t really think of anything; he wasn’t overtly bad, but he made you feel absolutely worthless. The worst bit was that he made you feel like it was your fault: you were being too sensitive, you should just “put yourself out there”, something’s wrong with you.

To this day I still hate him. I hate the way he made me feel. I hate the way that he treated everyone. I hate that he just stood at the front of the class and watched me hurt myself without batting an eyelid. It probably sounds overdramatic to say he ruined my life, but that was how it felt.  

Dreamsexual

IrishArcher

In third grade, I got kicked out of my school's library (we had "library time" every week where we'd go up to the library and the librarians would read to us and give us mini lessons about random topics) because I said I hated NASCAR. The librarian was giving a lesson on NASCAR, and before the lesson even began, I told my friend I thought it was stupid. The librarian overheard me and told me to sit out of the lesson, which I was all too happy to do because that meant I could sit by myself and read something I actually found interesting. A few minutes later, she realized I was enjoying myself a little too much, so she dragged me back to my classroom and told my teacher that I was "un-American" because I didn't enjoy car races. I had to write her an apology letter, and to this day, I'm still not sure why.

I had this one shitty teacher in year 8 or 9 - or around there - who yelled at me for having an anxiety attack (when I practically didn't talk at the time and was a doormat) during sport and he made everyone stand in a circle and made me stay in the middle even though he could see I was on the verge of tears. He was homophobic and against immigration too, he even completely tore down one girl's speech about immigration after she read it out to assembly because he didn't agree with it.

Safe to say, nobody liked him and he eventually got kicked. Haha.

Not a teacher, but a school nurse...
In the 6th grade I suddenly became ill with a stomach bug in the first class after lunch. I managed to barely make it to the nurse's office toilet before throwing up. I felt so ill I couldn't sit upright, much less be aware that some of the sick missed the toilet. The nurse got mad at me for "making" her clean it up before I even knew what happened. When my mom came to get me the nurse gave her a phone number and said "there's help out there for her." I've always been a very skinny person and apparently the nurse thought I had bulimia. I've never had an eating disorder. Some people are just genetically skinny with stomach bugs. Stupid b****.

J. van Deijck

basically not letting me pass the exam at the university so I failed a year.

I got diagnosed with GAD at that moment of my life and I had my diagnosis on paper, written by the psychiatrist. due to this paper I was allowed to pass exams on a bit different terms than others (for example being chosen as first, being asked more detailed questions in case I get speechless, written instead of oral exams etc. etc.). I learned as much as I could for my exam, but when I went to give my answers, it generally went worse. she asked me one general question, and I was so stressed that I didn't even know where to start. she was supposed to start asking more detailed questions so I could gather my thoughts and actually start answering, but she didn't do it. instead, she said she feels sorry for any illness, but I clearly haven't been learning at all, and she didn't let me pass the year. 

she used to be one of my favourite teachers, but after this one I have lost all my respect for her.

at that point my anxiety was so strong that I was taking later bus so I could avoid driving to uni with other students, but then I was arriving 5 minutes after the class started, and not make it to go to the class because I wouldn't bear other students from my group staring at me.

Tree snake

I don't know what the rudest one is, it's a rather extensive portfolio. 

Once a teacher got sick halfway through the year and was replaced. I was an A student but the new teacher moved me from A to F in a week. Because she didn't like my handwriting. No other reason.

I had one of the best hands in class, it was readable and nice but it was in capitals and she didn't like that. 

I can write anyway I want; upper/lowercase, cursive... But I chose upper because it was easier to read and quicker to write. 

I decided to take a stance then and there and refused to change my hand. She hated forever. 

Tree snake

An other rude teacher is the one who called me a freak and told me I wouldn't get so bullied if I just behaved like a normal girl. "Why can't you just act like a normal girl instead of a freak?"

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, FeichtKatze said:

An other rude teacher is the one who called me a freak and told me I wouldn't get so bullied if I just behaved like a normal girl. "Why can't you just act like a normal girl instead of a freak?"

CelesteAdAstra

My sports teacher was the worst bully I had ever come upon. There's a number of bad things he had done which contributed to the mental damage that was done to me back in school. Thankfully, I don't remember everything.

One thing I do remember is this: I was never good at sports. Quite clumsy, actually. When there was something I couldn't do, like handstands for example, and he knew of it, he called me in front of the class to fail in front of everybody.

Another time he literally told me that I was too unathletic and too chubby for his lessons and that he wanted to change it.

In the summer, he had us run around the lake next to our school. I had a severe allergy against grasses back in the day which basically rendered me unable to breathe when under physical strain outside. My teacher knew of this. He liked to pursue me on his bike and shout at me to run faster.

Around the 11th class, my psychiatrist gave me a written diagnosis for my mental health problems, one of them being social anxiety. Again, the teacher knew of this. He then fancied that me should take it in his own hand to "cure" me of it, e.g. he tried to force me to scream in front of the school where everyone could hear it.

Every wednesday when I carried that damned sports bag to school, I was petrified on the whole way there.

I was so happy when it was announced that we'd get another teacher for sports lessons, a very kind lady that organised the lessons in a way where we could actually have fun. She showed an interest in every individual student's abilities and helped us to improve.

This lasted for a year. After this, we got the old teacher back.

Apart from that one, the worst thing that most of the teachers as a collective have done is treating me like I was broken for my social anxiety. All those parent-teacher conferences each year, where they complained again and again that I never put my hand up in lessons. My parents and even the psychologists tried to explain to them that I simply could not do it because there was nothing I was more afraid of than speaking before other people. They never cared. In the end, I had to leave school because my grades were too low and I never got the graduation that I still feel I deserved. All my oral grades were an F, and even if I only wrote A's in all the tests, did all my homework and knew everything I had to know, it was never enough to balance it out.

Damn the German school system, and damn the permanent damage it did to me.

My elementary school principal never remembered my name. Every time I came across her, she greeted me with my sister's name even when my sister already graduated years earlier. I always corrected her and she always apologized, but she doesn't bother to change it.

The teachers there that knew my sister and me never had that problem.

Blaiddmelyn
24 minutes ago, Destan said:

My elementary school principal never remembered my name. Every time I came across her, she greeted me with my sister's name even when my sister already graduated years earlier. I always corrected her and she always apologized, but she doesn't bother to change it.

The teachers there that knew my sister and me never had that problem.

I feel your pain. My high school PE teacher seemed incapable of telling the difference between my sister and I. After 4 years of it, even my class got sick of her constantly calling me by my sister's name.

My sister told me that once, the teacher remarked to her that I always seemed really annoyed when she mixed us up. Apparently my sister replied with, "It's probably because you've been teaching her for years and still can't get her name right."

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, CelesteAdAstra said:

Damn the German school system, and damn the permanent damage it did to me.

CelesteAdAstra

@Dreamsexual Thanks, your compassion means a lot to me ❤️

It's so great that you pulled your kid out of school - it's a big step and many don't dare to do it, but it's the exact right choice. I hope that all will be better in the new school!

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:16 PM, CelesteAdAstra said:

I hope that all will be better in the new school!

CelesteAdAstra

@Dreamsexual That's also good! Whatever's the best for your kid 😊

I was in color guard in high school and we were practicing our routine before the competition, the band teacher called my name out in front of the entire band and had me walk across the field to him so he could tell me that I wasn’t good enough to participate in the competition the next day, and the sad part was that I had practiced For hours and hours to make sure I was doing it right and I was proud of myself and because I tripped on my pants during a practice he kicked me out of the show also the competition was 8 hrs from home so I had to sit and watch my friends compete and to make it worse it was my 16th birthday.

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, 15stace15 said:

I was in color guard in high school and we were practicing our routine before the competition, the band teacher called my name out in front of the entire band and had me walk across the field to him so he could tell me that I wasn’t good enough to participate in the competition the next day, and the sad part was that I had practiced For hours and hours to make sure I was doing it right and I was proud of myself and because I tripped on my pants during a practice he kicked me out of the show also the competition was 8 hrs from home so I had to sit and watch my friends compete and to make it worse it was my 16th birthday.

My old art teacher realised I was behind on my course work and called me a disappointment. The day after my grandads funeral 👌🏻🙄

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:22 PM, kjxhyun said:

My old art teacher realised I was behind on my course work and called me a disappointment. The day after my grandads funeral 👌🏻🙄

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, Perspektiv said:

"You're going to hell" In grade school, as I was the only left handed student in class o_O 

Archived