what was the most rude thing a teacher (or professor) has done to you?

-Wren-

9 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

That's cruel :(

I see it's also your first post.  So, although it seems odd after that, I wish you welcome :)

Right? Hate him to this day! 

Aha thank you, I joined forever ago but well, self acceptance and all that 😅

I have always been overweight all my life, with the exception of when I was in foster care.

When I was in upper school, I was still overweight.  During one science lesson, we had a supply teacher come in to cover for our usual science teacher.  For reasons I can't remember, there was an exercise bike in the class, and the supply teacher got some of the students to have a go on the exercise bike.

The supply teacher got me to go on the exercise bike, because, after all, "you look like you could use it".

Cheers, buddy...

2 hours ago, Dreamsexual said:

What the ...?  :(.  That's mental.

I think she was joking, but she never said so or implied it with any deadpan timing or smile or anything. Just awkward classroom silence after she stared me down post statement. 

Keep in mind this teacher was quite old, and had mentioned corrective procedures in schools she grew up in that ranged from rulers striking knuckles, and so on. 

Doesn't justify what she said, obviously but definitely stands out. 

It's also where I realized I was a rebellious child. Her statement made me even more proud to be a lefty so backfired on her if she was trying to make me feel shame.

I had a teacher give me detention for a day I wasn’t even in school. I got two detentions, one for each day I had supposedly been reported by a substitute as being disruptive. Except one day I had been present but sick, so not doing much of anything, and the second day I stayed home due being sick. Multiple other students in the class, even people who were not my friends, were vouching for me, and saying I had not been rude, and hadn’t been there the second day. I wasn’t even normally a disruptive student, so this made no sense at all. I stayed for the first day, and I sat there staring angrily at the teacher the whole time. I got out of the second one, I think because he didn’t want to be stared for another hour.  I think at some point, he did find out I really hadn’t been there the second day, but I stayed angry. 

When I was eleven and in sixth grade, I wrote an essay, and the teacher accused me (in front of the class) of copying it from something I read, because she didn't think I could have been able to write it.   This was a woman who also made fun of a boy who just transferred in from New Zealand and he, of course, had a non-American accent.  

Soul Searcher

So during my final year in the school, my English teacher who was also the vice-principal, singled me out in front of the class, gave an example of the girl in the class who scored highest marks in a mathematics test and asked me why could i not be like her?

It really did not matter to him that i was the top scorer on his subject. He didn't care about English. He wanted to know about math, a subject he didn't even teach.

That was the worst thing he ever said to me. I totally wanted to small back and say that i am not her. But i didn't. Was afraid of him and i don't talk back to teachers. But that thing hurt me. And it's not like the girl was epitome of perfection. She was just good in Maths that's all.

One thing i cannot accept is when people belittle be and compare me to others.  I never do that to others and hate it when others do it to me.

A supply teacher threatened me with a detention down two my handwriting not being good enough. 

I personally shrugged this off but then two people in the class stood up for me and stated that I had dyslexia. 

He looked quite affronted 

Soul Searcher
On 6/4/2019 at 3:48 AM, disGraceful said:

Oh loads.

When I was 7 in first grade, I had really bad bouts of a chronic illness that wasn’t diagnosed until I was an adult. The school thought I was faking it so force fed me at lunchtime. Literally I was so nauseous I couldn’t think straight or speak and they stood over me making me eat my grapes. Because this would make it worse, I ended up not in the nurse’s office but the counselor’s office because they thought I was making it all up. I genuinely felt like I was going to throw up so I asked for a trash can. The counselor told me I wouldn’t throw up so no need. I swallowed it because I was humiliated, not realizing that in her mind, I proved her right.

When I was in 7th grade, I was being bumped from regular level English to advanced. Despite my all As in that grade and having read every major book in the curriculum, they didn’t want to move me to advanced. I complained about being bored and insulted so my mom complained to the school. The school made me take one quarter of regular level with mandatory straight 100s to move up to advanced. Well I did it. But not without the teacher calling on me for every question and making fun of me when I had the correct answers. Then the teacher’s aide pulled me out of class to have me alone in her office (which was a special ed room) to belittle me. She told me that the only reason they allowed me to move up was because I had read too many books and advised me to not get an inflated ego about being with the smart kids because I wasn’t one of them.

I wasn’t the greatest kid but wow they hated me. Kind of sick.

I am sorry to hear about that. It is really saddening to hear that the people who are responsible to make us good human beings and give us knowledge are the ones doing so.

In my case, I was fairly privileged as my school was very strict in such cases. I can't recall a time where I had to go through any of what you did. If i was punished, it was because I did something wrong, not that the teachers hated me.

I also recall my sister telling me (she was in the same school) that a teacher who used to say mean and insulting things to students was punished when the class complained against him. So yeah, my school was very good in discipline whether be it teachers or students.

I had my adviser and department chair of the program (which was also my main teacher for the program) tell me he would not write me a letter of reference as it said a bachelors was required for the position and that I needed to go back to school to get a bachelors. In email. This is a watered  down version. 

The day I got the acceptance letter to the college that was my dream goal, I ran over to tell my teachers... one of them literally said "bullshit!" when i said where i was going. I mean, granted, I wasn't a tremendous student in his class (and he was a horrible teacher), but still, that isn't how a teacher should act.

In college, my professor indirectly told me that I wasn't needed in the class and was an inconvenience in front of the entire class just because I belonged to a minority number of people who have chosen a weird combination of electives. 

My PE teacher used to tease me and call me 'old hag' because I was overweight, had a weird gait because of some issues with my leg and always used to come last in a race. 

One of my teachers of last year bullied me and a classmate because we're smart

She said things like "you don't get any friends if you're like you two", "if you continue like this you'll see", and that

He tried to suicide before, and we almost take legal action but the school warned her

I didn't care but he cried in his house 

This was a student teacher for History class in 3rd year secondary school.

I'm guessing he was very nervous because he got annoyed so fast and his face was red.

My friend and I were talking a little during class and he scolded us for it. We didn't do anything wrong, we were talking about the topic of that lesson and we laughed a little. Both of us were so surprised because we were one of the quiet ones of the class so getting scolded for that was weird for us.

Getting assigned to the farthest seat from the projectors in class in 3rd year secondary school, because I was the last student according to the alphabet order. I hated it.

I couldn't see anything from where I was sitting and I was never allowed to sit somewhere else or switch seats in the classes of two teachers.

To make it worse, at that time I didn't know my eyesight deteriorated quite a bit.

- My English/Dutch teacher for 3rd and 6th year. I never liked her because she was so strict. Fortunately, she was pregnant in the years I had her so she only taught me for a few weeks before going on maternity leave. Her classes were in an old and small classroom so we had a blackboard and a projector, but we mainly used the projector. I had complained a few times, but she never let me because I sat at the front row so she never believed me. (I was so close to the blackboard that I couldn't see what the projector showed on the very left side of it.) I was allowed only once to move a seat closer but even then I still couldn't see a thing.    

- My computer science teacher: I hated him. He always scolded me because I couldn't never keep up with his class (and guess the cause of it?)

He was a very strict and scary old man. He once yelled at me for not doing his test as I was supposed to. The reason why was because we had to write down his test ourselves while he told us the exercises we had to answer at the same time. He mentioned how we had to write our answers but I was too busy writing it all down so I didn't do it. (I'm a slow writer)

I didn't really have any problems with my teachers; I liked learning at school and was quiet, so they didn't scold me for anything. 

There only was the time my first grade teacher scolded me for writing a note and wanting a classmate in front of my desk to pass it on to another classmate whom I was too shy to ask for a piece of lined paper (his parents had bought him the lined paper that older students use, the wide-ruler kind, similar to a college notebook; everyone else was stuck given the free, larger lined gray paper to use to write our alphabet. So, he became very popular because of that, and before class, he was giving pieces of his paper out to other students who'd asked him; I was too shy and afraid to ask for one, myself, directly, so I thought I'd ask him through writing a note, instead.

He was popular and seemed to me to be viewed as more "special," "advanced," or "grown-up" than the rest of us; I wonder whether his parents taught him advanced things, at a young age. I think I might've remembered our teacher giving him advanced lessons, praising him for things we were learning in class, etc. 

So, it's silly, I know, but I think the rest of us wanted to be viewed as "cool" and "grown-up" like him; so, that's why I and others wanted to ask him for a piece of that paper that his parents bought him (that no one else in the class was using). Using the larger-lined, gray paper, which was for young kids learning to write their alphabet, while he was being allowed to use the paper that older kids used, made me feel like I was still viewed as a "baby."

But, he never got the note; the student in front of me immediately picked up the note and gave it to the teacher. So, I got into trouble for that; my teacher called my father and she talked with us, alone, in the room. It really upset me as a kid; I remember her seeming very angry, which I didn't understand why. I guess she might've viewed it as an attempt to bully another student, whereas, I viewed it as me just being too shy to talk to other people. I wasn't being mean, demanding or bullying anyone; it was only a note asking for a piece of his paper, like he was giving out to other students. So, I kind of thought she now disliked me.

In 7th grade I had a teacher who assigned us to write/draw a picture book for 1st graders, then gave me a D because I used talking animals. I've had worse things happen, but that is the most senselessly stupid.

This other one is completely my fault. I was the rude one. IB chemistry, my friends and I would constantly fuck around during class. We completed the assignments (I think I got a B for lack of effort), but we'd not pay a lick of attention to the lecture. One day, our teacher walked up (didn't even notice, that is how little attention we payed to him) and said in a stone cold voice, "Mr. ****, please step outside for the class." It doesn't sound bad, but he was usually a chill guy, and his tone was almost murderous. I almost shit my pants. I feel bad to this day. It did make me pay more attention, so point won.

Back to Avalon

My eighth grade year went bad about mid-year, maybe before. A couple of girls I'd been friends with turned against me, and my mother made it clear that she didn't want to deal with my personal problems. My schoolwork and grades suffered as a result. My social studies teacher, whose class was difficult, wrote on my final exam that my answer to an essay question was "pathetic," and on my research paper, she wrote that it had "no content." In a comment to my parents, she wrote that I "quit during second semester." She may have a valid point or two, but I don't think she ever asked me, at least not in a sympathetic way, if something was going on with me. To my knowledge, she didn't ask the school counselor. She apparently didn't draw on her years of experience teaching eighth graders and realize that it's a shitty year for a lot of them and they can't be expected to have the same coping skills as adults. No, she just used it as an excuse to insult my work. She was one of those teachers who was on a little bit of a power trip, I think, and she decided to indulge her love of power instead of reaching out. Pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...
Anonymous Axolotl

Middle school:

Substitute teacher verbally harassed the whole class, swore at individual students, fell asleep during class, and set his dentures on a student's desk after taking them directly out of his mouth. I wasn't the direct recipient of any swears or the dentures, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway based on how badly he acted towards the entire class.

Community College:

My public speaking instructor was a nightmare and had something against me, and I couldn't figure out what it was or why she hated me. For a presentation that I was giving, I asked the day the presentation was assigned if I could have a turned off cell phone out during the presentation since having one as a "prop" was part of the presentation, and a prop was required. She okayed it. The day of the presentation, before I go up to give the presentation, I ask once more if it's okay that I have a powered down cell phone with me to use as my prop. Again, she says yes, it's fine. During the presentation (probably about three or four minutes after I had asked if it was okay to have the cell phone) she interrupts me to point out that I'm using a cell phone (it was off and I was literally just holding it, not even looking at it) and that using one in class is against the syllabus. After making an example of me for being a "bad student" for disobeying the syllabus while I was standing in front of the entire class, she said she'll dock points. I was barely able to keep it together for the rest of the presentation after being interrupted and publically humiliated for no reason.

Through the remainder of the semester, she continued to call me out to the whole class as the "bad student" example and explicitly brought up how I was disobeying the syllabus by having a phone out and using it in class. I had repeatedly tried talking to her before and after classes to say that what she had done by calling me out and docking points went directly against what she had told me multiple times prior to the presentation, and was inaccurate anyway since I was not "using" it in the way the syllabus expressed.  Every time that I confronted her, she said that I shouldn't be using "excuses" and by doing so, I was just proving that I was more guilty.

That wasn't the end of it. We had a written final for the class. It had very specific requirements, especially considering the way it was presented. It had to be in one of these clear front report folders. I got my clear cover report folder and explicitly asked her if it would work well before the final was due. She looked it over and said that it falls within the guidelines. She had also told the whole class that she would "gladly" look over any final assignments before the due date and give feedback. Later, I presented my report to her compiled in the clear front report folder. She approved it, and the presentation of it, saying that I didn't need to fix anything. So I turned it in. When I get the grade for my final back, it came with a note that said, "points docked for not following paper presentation guidelines. Incorrect folder used." Not only had I gotten the folder approved twice, but other students used the same folder and weren't docked points for it. She definitely had something against me.

my French teacher for the last 2 years of elementary school constantly tried to separate me and my friend.

neither of us got along with the other kids in class so we always hung out together. we were good students, by the way. quiet shy kids.

but this teacher decided it was "unnatural" that we wanted to be together all the time. she even told this to my mother.

she essentially bullied us for being the unpopular kids.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:26 PM, Perspektiv said:

"You're going to hell" In grade school, as I was the only left handed student in class o_O 

Wow, is this teacher a transplant from the 1860's?

Also, we aren't lefties... we are changelings from the mirror-world. treat us kindly.

Alawyn-Aebt

Had a professor who did not give A's. So despite the fact I got A's on all my assignments he gave me so little in participation points (even though I participated more than some did) that I got a B in the class. I even did his extra assignment which he said if you completed it he would round your overall grade up 0.5 if you needed it to get a higher letter grade.  I got an 89.5, and he did not add the extra 0.5 for me.

I know that is nothing but as someone who drives himself to get perfect scores in everything it annoys me to this day. It was the only B I ever received in college too (so far, hopefully forever). The professor was nice personally, but there was no way you were going to walk out of there with an A and if you raised a question in class he didn't know the answer to (or worse caught him confused about his own subject) he would do everything to try to shift the conversation.

Anonymous Axolotl
4 hours ago, Aebt said:

Had a professor who did not give A's. So despite the fact I got A's on all my assignments he gave me so little in participation points (even though I participated more than some did) that I got a B in the class. I even did his extra assignment which he said if you completed it he would round your overall grade up 0.5 if you needed it to get a higher letter grade.  I got an 89.5, and he did not add the extra 0.5 for me.

I know that is nothing but as someone who drives himself to get perfect scores in everything it annoys me to this day. It was the only B I ever received in college too (so far, hopefully forever). The professor was nice personally, but there was no way you were going to walk out of there with an A and if you raised a question in class he didn't know the answer to (or worse caught him confused about his own subject) he would do everything to try to shift the conversation.

I've never understood this mentality. Teachers and professors are supposed to grade people based on how well they follow the assignment and/or how well they do against their peers. By denying a student an "A" grade that they rightfully deserve, they're basically saying, "Hi, I'm a horrible teacher! Take my class so I can prove it because no matter how well you do, you still suck!" Skewing the grading scale like that also messes up so many other aspects of a student's position in the educational system.

• 2 months later...

My Chemistry teacher for this school year, a friend of mine used to have her for the same subject and she didn't like her.

She scolded me in front of the whole class right after the test we did about how I could forget the video we saw the day before because that was the bonus question.

Basically implying I'm stupid for 'forgetting' and having a poor brain already in her second lesson since the start of the new school year.

I actually knew the answer, I just left it blank because she told us a different name than the day before. I wasn't sure so I didn't want to risk it and I was too slow to think straight because we had to write down the test questions ourselves. She never told us the second name of the thing and neither was it mentioned in the course papers. I was so pissed off. I now get why my friend kept complaining about her.

Today, I got the test results: 10/11. She scolded me for one. point. off. You gotta be kidding me right?

A whole classful of students being called whiners because the teacher didn't like the results of a survey he gave voluntarily to ask for feedback on his teaching and how he ran the class. Several of us walked out and dropped the class because of his attitude and methods.

I had a teacher in highschool humiliate me in front of the whole class because I didn't know where to put my finished homework so I placed it on his desk. He sighed and rolled his eyes and then picked it up and put it in a stack. I have no clue why he hated me so much.

I had a teacher - in AP English, nonetheless - give some jock student an A on a project making a mask from, well, MTV's The Mask instead of the assigned project (Romeo and Juliet), while he gave me a D for my admittedly hastily created but well thought out tear mask. The other kid's literal presentation was that it looked cool.

Edit; same teacher was later fired for marrying an 18 year old student the semester after she graduated.

DarkStormyKnight

All of the worst things have been said to me by dance professors funnily enough. I had one in college who asked an Asian girl in my class (she was new to it and struggling a little) if she understood English. Same teacher once said to another student (male) that she saw a move like that on stage once, but it was intended to be funny and wrong. She would just degrade those with less experience in front of everyone, tbh I would have dropped out if that happened to me.

When I was in 3rd grade I wasn't a good student. I wasn't really bad when it came to behavior but I rarely did my homework, classwork was usually mostly wrong or incomplete and I didn't get good test scores. One day my teacher told the class that I didn't care about school. I was already ostracized because I didn't act like the rest of my classmates but saying that really made the other kids steer clear of me.

Things weren't well at home either so I didn't bother mentioning it to anyone in my family.

Archived