what was the most rude thing a teacher (or professor) has done to you?

-Wren-

things you can post

-being singled out

-having an unjust punishment

-teacher doing something because they did not like you

-getting in trouble for something someone else did (that the teacher knew of)

you can just post rude things your teacher has done those are just topics i thought of

(not my worst but off the top of my head) in 5th grade i was told to sit out during recces because i was 'pretending to talk'

in reality i was touching my lips together and apart out of habit

I have a couple. First off...I was a straight-A student...always did things right, never got in trouble, but it didn't stop some teachers from simply not liking me or appreciating my creativity.

First was an art teacher in high school. For the project, we had to draw/paint flowers of some kind. I used water colors and colored pencils, but I didn't just do flowers--I added a fairy to my piece. Like she was caring for the flowers. I got a poor grade because I "didn't follow the rules," and she was like wtf is this fairy thing. :/ Ugh. And in college, I was given a poor grade by my prof for my senior/graduating portfolio. I majored in fashion marketing, but I minored in graphic design, and that was really what I was going for...so my portfolio was unlike the other girls' in my class. I had all my art stuff in it. That was okay-ed by her, too, to do. However, she gave me a low grade without telling me why and only praised the "fashion girls." I couldn't stand that prof anyway...she never liked me for some reason.

I told my form teacher about a personal problem I had in relation to his lessons. He said something along the lines of "well, we have to see what can be done about that" and went on with his lessons as before. Nothing changed. To be fair though I think he just didn't know what to do.

I had to find a solution for myself so I kept leaving the lessons when I couldn't stand it and studied by myself. He never said anything. Passed my exam with 12 of 15 marks.

3 minutes ago, kelico said:

I have a couple. First off...I was a straight-A student...always did things right, never got in trouble, but it didn't stop some teachers from simply not liking me or appreciating my creativity.

First was an art teacher in high school. For the project, we had to draw/paint flowers of some kind. I used water colors and colored pencils, but I didn't just do flowers--I added a fairy to my piece. Like she was caring for the flowers. I got a poor grade because I "didn't follow the rules," and she was like wtf is this fairy thing. 😕 Ugh. And in college, I was given a poor grade by my prof for my portfolio. I majored in fashion marketing, but I minored in graphic design, and that was really what I was going for...so my portfolio was unlike the other girls' in my class. I had all my art stuff in it. She gave me a low grade without telling me why and only praised the "fashion girls." I couldn't stand that prof anyway...she never liked me for some reason.

yeah I've heard of art teachers in particular not liking kids. Though it was mostly because of their styles, i had never heard of a teacher giving someone a poor grade because of an extra creative thing on their piece 

Teaching maths (or to be more accurate, trying to.)

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Teaching maths.

honestly true. Unfortunately, it's required in most places 

7 minutes ago, Jona Rhys said:

I told my form teacher about a personal problem I had in relation to his lessons. He said something along the lines of "well, we have to see what can be done about that" and went on with his lessons as before. Nothing changed. To be fair though I think he just didn't know what to do.

I had to find a solution for myself so I kept leaving the lessons when I couldn't stand it and studied by myself. He never said anything. Passed my exam with 12 of 15 marks.

sadly most teachers will do that unless most of class agrees

Kaleidostorm

Three instances come to mind:

1. My calculus teacher refused to give me the accommodations on my IEP (which included use of calculator for simple numerical manipulation) because it would be "unfair" to the other students, and he couldn't see how I'd be able to learn calculus at all if I needed accommodations (which he clearly equated to being stupid).

2. In middle school I would frequently get detention for forgetting to bring my coat to go outside. I have ADHD, among other things. I could have just gone back and gotten my coat. Or, I could have just stayed inside. Nope... automatic detention.

3. In high school I would get in trouble for being late to gym -- which was impossible to avoid, because the school district forced me to change in the nurses' office, on the other side of the school. I was banned from the locker rooms for being transgender. This was way before that was illegal in most places.

moved to off-a

Iff,

1 minute ago, ZephyrSpecs said:

Three instances come to mind:

1. My calculus teacher refused to give me the accommodations on my IEP (which included use of calculator for simple numerical manipulation) because it would be "unfair" to the other students, and he couldn't see how I'd be able to learn calculus at all if I needed accommodations (which he clearly equated to being stupid).

2. In middle school I would frequently get detention for forgetting to bring my coat to go outside. I have ADHD, among other things. I could have just gone back and gotten my coat. Or, I could have just stayed inside. Nope... automatic detention.

3. In high school I would get in trouble for being late to gym -- which was impossible to avoid, because the school district forced me to change in the nurses' office, on the other side of the school. I was banned from the locker rooms for being transgender. This was way before that was illegal in most places.

I can't believe they did that. If you have to have a calculator. They should have givin you it. Though some people are just stupid

I forgot to say this in the original post but, in gym we were doing the pacer. The teacher said nothing about doing it alone. At the beginning of the year,  couple days before the fall pacer, we do it in groups to warm us up for it. We thought we were doing that so me and my friends got into groups and did the group styled one. We were yelled at and told to sit out.

Galactic Turtle

Maybe not rude but I got points taken off for providing too much information. XD 

3 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

I had a math teacher who, in front of the whole class told me "Why are you asking such stupid questions?" when I didnt understand the subject being taught.

My economics teacher would constantly be undermining me asking if the material was too tough for me (unfortunately for him, I always got no less than 96 in all test)

My freshman college year came complete with a self proclaimed "expert" who marked alot of my answers in my first test as incorrect,  then when I rebuted her corrections, with book in hand and citing the paragraphs, she told me to shut up, that I was simply wrong, in front of the whole class. And also tried to undermine me saying I would fail he class (finished with a total of 95)

Also in college, another professor told me that what he said was the answer and to stop asking questions, also telling me to shut up. The subject was astronomy and I was an astronomy nerd so he didnt take it too kindly when I corrected him on the molecular/mass differences for dark matter.

Chemistry teacher told me to shut up when I asked her to explain why crystalization caused molecular expansion. 

(I really do seem to have a knack for finding assholes)

in most schools i went to, Teachers were not even aloud to say shut up most times, or had the respect not to. I'm sorry you had to go through all that and hope you don't have to experience that again

Got yelled at once for getting nervous and tongue-tied while answering a question.

Anthracite_Impreza

One of our teachers had a habit of keeping AFABs behind after class, for various "misdemeanours" (many of which were untrue or exaggerated). Not so bad really... until he got sacked for having "inappropriate" things on his laptop.

Oh, and a primary school teacher stabbed me with her claws for not looking her in the eye when I spoke. I'm autistic.

A few instances come to mind.

- first or second day in secondary school, we were in French class and the teacher had us introduce ourselves. When she got to me, she kept asking me where I was from because of my accent. She seemed annoyed I kept answering as the same town as the school is in. 

- I was once asked to leave marketing class in college as I was causing a disturbance. My disturbance was I had dropped a pen and had to ask another person to get it.  Co-ordination is a weak point of mine because of mild cerebral palsy.

- I had in another college class pointed out an error in the lecturer working. 5 minutes later, she was still confused on the calculation. She then points to me that it was my fault she went wrong.

- it was said to me by another student that our German teacher really disliked both me and the other boy in the class (there was 13 in the class with 2 males) we were both very quiet. It was for no reason that she disliked us.

GentlemanCambrioleur

I went in to my 10th grade Precal math teacher for help. She said I didn't know my algebra. 

Also my anxiety was worse then so I needed to duck outta class to go hide in the bathroom. Once she LOUDLY asked me in front of the whole class if I needed to go.

I went in to my math teacher for this year for help. She said that I needed to figure it out on my own.

She told me that I could ask anyone in the class for help except for her.

Kaleidostorm
2 hours ago, -Wren- said:

I can't believe they did that. If you have to have a calculator. They should have givin you it. Though some people are just stupid

Yeah, there had to be a hearing and it was legal and stuff.

Aimeendfire

Some people should not be teachers.

-is a teacher and teachers mistreating students breaks my heart-

Oh, this was a while ago, but in 2nd grade I brought a watch to school one day because I thought it was cool.  It was the end of recess and we were supposed to line up for the teacher to come and get us.  The kid next to me in line saw I had a watch and started dragging me out of line by the arm to show her friend, shouting, "Look, iyote has a clock on their arm!"  The whole time I was telling her to stop and trying to get back in line, because I never broke the rules.  

The teacher came and saw that we weren't in line.  Despite the fact that I was clearly being dragged around by my arm and I was practically in tears, I got detention.  

Custard Cream

Not to me... but at primary school a teacher made a child sit on a drawing pin in front of the whole class. I know the kid had been doing it to others, but even so...

Crazycrazycultist

I once had a tutor that would tell me on more than one occasion that I should be held back a grad. Which didn't help, since I always had a fear of being held back ever since I knew what it was. I don't even know what she helped me with.

When I was in 10th grade, the math teachers got frustrated with me because when it comes down to it, I truly am a dunce when it comes to math. They were discussing what to do with students for the next year and I happened to be standing there at the time. One of them noticed me and asked if I planned to go to college, to which I said "yes" - you could see both of them sigh and droop with defeat, because they were discussing trying to get me to take accounting or something similar the next year. It was like they just didn't want to put in the effort or something.

Happily, the next year a new high school opened up closer to where I live and I got one of the coolest math teachers (one coolest teachers I ever met, in fact) who not only made math fun and interesting, but went a long way to help anyone who really needed the help.

It's been more than 30 years now, but those teachers at the previous school and their attitude still stings. What's really crappy is that they were doing it to everyone, not just me. That's not how good teachers operate.

Dreamsexual

Anthracite_Impreza
28 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

All the usual, but the one that probably hurt the most was when I was about fourteen/fifteen.

It was Valentine's Day and all the girls in my class had written me a mock Valentine card stating how much of a fat ugly c*nt I was, and all signed it.  The teacher read it out loud to the class and everyone had a laugh. 

That was a bit of a blow, given it was the only valentines card I'd ever got, but par for the course for my school years, tbh.

How the fuck did they get away with that?? They're the ****s, not you.

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

How the fuck did they get away with that?? They're the ****s, not you.

Custard Cream
2 hours ago, Dreamsexual said:

All the usual, but the one that probably hurt the most was when I was about fourteen/fifteen.

It was Valentine's Day and all the girls in my class had written me a mock Valentine card stating how much of a fat ugly c*nt I was, and all signed it.  The teacher read it out loud to the class and everyone had a laugh. 

That was a bit of a blow, given it was the only valentines card I'd ever got, but par for the course for my school years, tbh.

that is horrible.  

Dreamsexual
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, CustardCream said:

that is horrible.  

Back to Avalon

When I was in tenth grade, I started taking a class in technical theatre, and one day, the teacher, who also directed the plays, lamented that she would love to have a runner rug for one of the scenes in the winter play, but they couldn't afford it. I had recently taken up weaving, so I volunteered to make a rug. People laughed a little when I said that; I don't know why. I worked on the rug at home most nights for weeks, probably a couple of months. When I finished it, I took it to morning assembly and handed it to the theatre teacher and asked if she wanted me to take it to the prop room or something; she said, "No, I'll take it." She didn't say "thanks" or "great!" or anything like that. In the meantime (I just remembered this), she had given me a rather negative comment when teachers wrote mid-quarter or -semester comments about students. When the play was done and props were being put away, she said of the rug, "Just put that in the materials room. Oh, I guess you want to take that home, don't you?" Again, no appreciation at all. For the next play that school year, my parents bought some things for the set and turned in receipts to get reimbursed, and when I asked her about the reimbursement, she said, "I can't find the receipts." There were other incidents of rudeness with her, but those stand out. To be fair, I had surgery my senior year, and she asked me a few questions about it ("It went okay? The doctor was pleased?"), which surprised me. The bottom line with her, I think, is she cared much more about the plays (and, by extension, her image and reputation) than she did about people and their feelings.

Archived