Annoying things romantics say

Lmaohelpme

Tarfeather

I'm honestly trying not to, but apparently just stating facts is being a prick.

How about this:

Could you please elaborate, because I don't understand what you said?

Ace of Amethysts

"I`m none the wiser for it" is kind of arrogant, not to mention that it makes little sense. You could`ve just said "I read it".

ChillaKilla

I think Tar just means they still don't get it. "I'm none the wiser" = "I haven't gained anything from it" = "I don't get what was said".

Ace of Amethysts

I meant that I agreed with the argument that aromantics are erased far too often. :)

• 2 weeks later...
binary suns

you know what I find really annoying? when a romantic person asks if you like them. I'm afraid to answer.

Ace of Amethysts

And for my daily rambling:

I just find the fact that the iron-clad degree to which romanticism is protected and promoted legally and culturally to be absolutely insane.

I'm new here but this forum I had to contribute to !

Anyway being demiromantic and demisexual I've heard some annoying things such as

"You just haven't found THE ONE yet"

"You your life must suck"

"Wait a couple years"

"Isn't that called just having standards?"

"Omg I'm the same" ( complete lie)

"Your just trying to make yourself seem special"

Oh yeah also when people are in relationships in high school and middle school it just doesn't make sense to me

i came out as aromantic to my friend and he dismissed it as a phase and claimed i was just being "heartless."

it was frustrating, as i am absolutely capable of love, i just don't have romantic attraction. i love my friends.

ChillaKilla

i came out as aromantic to my friend and he dismissed it as a phase and claimed i was just being "heartless."

it was frustrating, as i am absolutely capable of love, i just don't have romantic attraction. i love my friends.

U G H

(graphic made by yours truly after reading some truly disgusting arophobic and ableist comments on an LGBT facebook page I follow that shared an article about aromanticism)

a6uJLnA.png

"Semi-autistic traits" makes me want to cut someone...

Ace of Amethysts

I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again: this is why I`m closeted, people.

GloomyGhost

U G H

(graphic made by yours truly after reading some truly disgusting arophobic and ableist comments on an LGBT facebook page I follow that shared an article about aromanticism)

a6uJLnA.png

This is horrible. I for one feel it's sad to feel sad for someone who doesn't even feel sad themselves. They're the only ones that feel sad about it and it doesn't even concern them. Let me share a picture I made a little while ago when I was feeling bored/inspired too...

9sfbs8.jpg

By the way, the big purple lines are lyrics from this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA-GMW8TNg, I think it really fits asexuality and aromanticism. Just something to hold onto after hearing all those annoying and hurtful things.

Ace of Amethysts

That`s beautiful, Gloomy. :cake:

Wouldn't romance be about sharing your life with someone? Telling them your inmost wishes and deepest secrets? How could anyone ever be "too picky" about that?

Also, the "don't lead people on" Faceblargh post made me laugh. It's not for me to decide how you interpret my actions. The rest is unawareness at best, plain stupid at worst, why would I even. It just shows that you need to be careful who you trust which, again, is not a particular aro issue.

Anthracite_Impreza

Why does there have to be so much hate just because you can't understand something? Bloody hell.

Ace of Amethysts

Because romance is really, really important to 99.99% of the human population. *hides*

Telecaster68

On tumblr, it's more likely fear of something new and hard to understand, and that some people, especially if they're still trying to become comfortable with their own sexual feelings, will interpret 'no I don't want to be close in a romantic way to anyone' as passive aggressive, as though aros are implying they're somehow purer.

Ace of Amethysts

Did I say I frequent Tumblr? :huh:

Am i the one who doesnt do tumblr?

Because romance is really, really important to 99.99% of the human population. *hides*

And you should not dare to say you can live without romance! You will be served for dinner :P

By 99.99% of the human population

Ace of Amethysts

Am i the one who doesnt do tumblr?

And you should not dare to say you can live without romance! You will be served for dinner :P

By 99.99% of the human population

Yet again, I`d like to state that that`s why I`m secretly (outside AVEN) aromantic. :P

ChillaKilla

I have a shirt that has hearts the color of the aro flag and says "no romo" in big letters on it.

On a scale from Ace of Amethysts to Chilla, how open are you about your aromanticism? :P

Ace of Amethysts

I have a shirt that has hearts the color of the aro flag and says "no romo" in big letters on it.

On a scale from Ace of Amethysts to Chilla, how open are you about your aromanticism? :P

Tarfeather made me sad tonight, but your post made me happy :P

U G H

a6uJLnA.png

holy shit this just pissed me off beyond belief. i'm glad you shared this because i had no idea this is what some (not all of course) people thought about aros, ESPECIALLY in a LGBTQ+ page.

i'll have to share this with my group ASAP.

thanks

Replace the chill in "netflix and chill" with chili (especially the spicy kind) and everything would have been fine.

Don't mind me, I'm just really hungry right now.

TheWingedHourglass

Heck yeah, new thing for aro/ace meetups: Cake and Netflix and Chili.

Short version of a conversation I had:

"Man, that must be so easy for you not experiencing romanticism or seeking it."

I mean, before knowing my aro'ness I tried this romantic flirting thingie... It didn't really work out all that well..

(100% awkward moments guaranteed :lol:)

I mean, before knowing my aro'ness I tried this romantic flirting thingie... It didn't really work out all that well..

(100% awkward moments guaranteed :lol:)

I always confuse someone flirting with me with a bunch of fangirls trying to get your attention while you think:

"EWWWW! GET OUTTA HERE!!"

/fail :lol:

Ace of Amethysts

Off topic, but I`ll be returning to the whole of A/Romantic Orientations in November.

General:

1. "He who's never fallen in love has not lived life for real." (well I can assure my life is much better than the lives of some of you)

2. "Love is complicated, love is painful, etc." (no, pal, true love is not like that)
3. "All's fair in love and war" (The concept behind this one disgusts me to the core. They mean it's fair to abuse the partner, do wrong things to friends or innocent people. Like you have a claim on the person in question? What the serious heck? When are people going to understand that no one belongs to anyone? And furthermore, if you truly love someone, it means you want them to be happy, and if they are not happy with you, this means you will let them go!)

Personal:

1. "If you don't feel like you're losing your mind without that person, then it means you don't love her truly" (who the heck do you think you are to tell me I don't know what real love is and I've never felt it?)

2. "You'll meet a person who will change your feelings someday"

3. "I don't believe you"

4. "You'll grow out of it sooner or later"

5. "You are single. Why?"

Plectrophenax

a6uJLnA.png

Ah yes, the "chemical imbalance" argument. Classic. The oxytocin response is, however, new to me. It's not like aromaticism necessitates issues with trust or tranquility, so there's clearly more to 'love' than just this particular hormone [whatever that happens to be] and I'm surprised two people deemed the statement to the contrary worthy of a sign of approval.

The bizarre association of 'no desire for romantic relations' with 'general lack of feeling' [especially empathy] has got to stop as well. As does the idea of "leading people on" when one doesn't happen to carry a neon sign with 'I'm not interested' around. I would dare to assume most aromatics are well aware that they shouldn't 'lead people on' to something they are unable or unwilling to give. It's not unreasonable advice on its own, but I actually consider it the most insulting one of those you've posted.

The context of the one about a 'civilised continent' is a complete mystery to me. Aromanticism as a symptom of modern [decadent?] times, perhaps?

The expressions of sadness or pity, on the other hand, I find to be largely harmless. They tend to come from a good place and, in a sense, they are probably right as well - if not necessarily in a qualitative, then surely in a quantitative sense. The person who expressed sadness and asked a [not entirely clear] question does not deserve a place among 'disgusting' or 'arophobic' comments, in my humble opinion.

Complaining about crushes, then saying they feel bad for you because you don't get them...???

Archived