Annoying things romantics say

Lmaohelpme

"I'll give my soul for one night with her, only one is all I ask."

Good thing souls don't exist after all and that's freaking creepy what you just said btw.

"I love you!"

I don't experience love, no clue what love actually is or means.

"Oh man, I need to find a girl to " /snap

me "I know, this is the seventh time in one hour you're saying it."

"I think I've just fallen in love."

No, you didn't. You just want to fuck that beautifull girl.

"Bro, in a couple of years she going to be gorgeous."

And you a couple of years older than you already are bro.

"She the love of my life, she's the real one."

She's number 123 or 125?

"You don't know what you're missing out on."

Clearly I don't. Probably not that much though.

"I couldn't do this if I were you."

Ditto.

"You don't know what you're missing out on."

Clearly I don't. Probably not that much though.

Me: "But I know what I save myself..." :D

"We only met last week but I know we're going to be together forever!"

Ha, tell me that a month from now.

(I'm a recovering romantic.)

• 4 weeks later...
TiffanyJung

"You just wait untill you meet "THE ONEā„¢" then your heart will beat faster too"

Guilty as charged. I've actually said this to my best friend. Of course she's not aromantic but still.. .

though i'm romantic and i consider myself cheesy as fcuk sometimes, there are quite a few common sayings that really annoy me and personally i'd never use them. at all.

for instance:

Ɨ talking about "the ONE"

seriously?

Ɨ asking "who's your perfect boyfriend/girlfriend/partner?"

meh

Ɨ "butterflies in the stomach"

erm, butterflies? why?! :blink: if i'm overly excited i rather feel like i need to throw up or to use the toilet. a loudly rumbling stomach simply annoys me. there's nothing beautiful about that. butterflies are soft and light creatures, aren't they? how are they alike?

+ this one mentioned before:

"I think I've just fallen in love."

ugh. since for me romantic and sexual attraction never come together, i'm seriously pissed of when someone calls their (non personal) sexual desire / high libido or instant sexual attraction - "love". i find it so strange.

AceInhibitor

"You're so lucky you don't have to deal with this!" over and over again whenever any of them have a crush

That makes it sound like they were being forced into it. I thought crushes are supposed to be personal choices?

Ohhh trust me they're not a choice. I wish I could choose not to crush on some people

Dodecahedron314

For some ungodly reason, my dorm has a subscription to Cosmopolitan, and the new issue came in yesterday. As is the custom, someone immediately picked it up and started reading it aloud in the common room, and there was a quiz on attitudes toward romance, which we all took collectively. The questions were all about how you would react to romantic situations like a couple PDAing in Starbucks or a celebrity couple breaking up, with three multiple-choice options to where one was negative, one was slightly positive, and one was extremely positive. Because the negative ones were often worded in the most amusing way, everyone picked the negative ones as a joke. At the end of the quiz, the conclusion was that we all hated romance and needed to "do some self-searching to find our happiness", because, you know, we'll never find a man like that. sleep.png

...of course, I wasn't joking when I picked the negative ones.

Saber Wing

I hate when people say you aren't complete until you meet "the one." Honestly, I think it's just an excuse people use because they weren't self-aware enough to figure themselves out as an individual, so they attached that sense of self to someone else because it was easier than digging deeper, which sounds completely fucked up if you ask me. It's one thing to want to share yourself and all you are with the people you love, but to define yourself by them completely? I don't know. It sounds like bullshit to me though.

Also, when they tell me I haven't met the right person, or dated enough. Don't patronize me. I've spent my whole life figuring out what I want, and an off-handed comment from someone who doesn't even try to understand isn't going to become some earth-shattering epiphany. I understand sexuality can be fluid, and sometimes people change their mind on an identity. That's okay, but it's not okay for you to tell me what mine should be right now. I've spent enough time trying to stuff myself into a mold that was the wrong shape, and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste anymore time on it for you.

when i tell people i'm aromantic but sexual, i like explaining my orientation because it's an important component of my identity.

but i just can't stand it when they align the two and believe one needs to be sexually attracted to someone in order to have sex with them, or that you can't have a romantic relationship without sex.

aussiekirkland

"You shouldn't hold yourself back from opportunities"

Also anything along the lines of someone having a crush on me... Literally the worst

TophBeiFong

When people assume that I "like someone" romantically, when we are just friends.
"You like him!" quoth they. I instantly affirm the negative. Then... "You can tell us! We won't tell! We're all friends here!" no matter how I assure them that there is no romantic attraction, they are convinced otherwise. I am guilty until proven innocent.

"You're cute!" I find this degrading from anyone. There is an unspoken undercurrent in the term that implies sexual attractiveness or romantic sweetness. The implied meaning is "you make me feel all mushy/marshmallowy inside." Like a one-second crush.

The assumption that everyone wants to get married and have kids. Sure, I like the idea of having a super close friend, and maybe getting to spend our lives together. Possibly even raising kids. I'm cool with that, but it's not my goal.

The assumption that every person must be thinking about how the oposite sex or preferred gender will be perceiving them. If you dress well, it cannot be because you wish to be perceived as beautiful/handsome. Your motive is assumed to be the attraction of your preferred gender.

Apple Cake

"You say that now, but I wanna see you in some years"

I have heard this many times and I hate it

Ace of Amethysts

For some ungodly reason, my dorm has a subscription to Cosmopolitan, and the new issue came in yesterday. As is the custom, someone immediately picked it up and started reading it aloud in the common room, and there was a quiz on attitudes toward romance, which we all took collectively. The questions were all about how you would react to romantic situations like a couple PDAing in Starbucks or a celebrity couple breaking up, with three multiple-choice options to where one was negative, one was slightly positive, and one was extremely positive. Because the negative ones were often worded in the most amusing way, everyone picked the negative ones as a joke. At the end of the quiz, the conclusion was that we all hated romance and needed to "do some self-searching to find our happiness", because, you know, we'll never find a man like that. sleep.png

...of course, I wasn't joking when I picked the negative ones.

I hate heteronormativity. With a passion.

Slice of Ace

"You say that now, but I wanna see you in some years"

I have heard this many times and I hate it

Definitely. I made a bet with someone in secondary school because they think I'll have a wife and children by the time I am thirty. I am so hunting them down in ten years for that Ā£5, just to prove them wrong.

aussiekirkland

I've thought of another one and this is the one that gets on my nerves the most (since it happens so much)

So you're reading an article about asexuality, and they've gone to the effort of interviewing an asexual. It's going great until you read the asexual say "but asexuals can still fall in love!" Every time I see another ace say that I feel like they're stabbing the aromantic community in the back. Tossing us aside in order to look more "human" and "relatable". Sometimes (rarely) they mention aromantics but even then it's "oh yeah and those guys exist I guess". What some romantic aces don't realise is that they're still heavily influenced by the relationship hierarchy and it's hurting other people, though they won't admit it.

Ace of Amethysts

I've thought of another one and this is the one that gets on my nerves the most (since it happens so much)

So you're reading an article about asexuality, and they've gone to the effort of interviewing an asexual. It's going great until you read the asexual say "but asexuals can still fall in love!" Every time I see another ace say that I feel like they're stabbing the aromantic community in the back. Tossing us aside in order to look more "human" and "relatable". Sometimes (rarely) they mention aromantics but even then it's "oh yeah and those guys exist I guess". What some romantic aces don't realise is that they're still heavily influenced by the relationship hierarchy and it's hurting other people, though they won't admit it.

That relationship hierarchy is the reason why I`m closeted, to be honest. The many, many ways that human culture is obsessed with and institutionalises romantic love has left me with the feeling in my mind that it`s impossible for me to disregard romance until the rest of society does, and as much as we can dream we all know that`s never going to happen.

This in full is the reason why I`m a closeted aromantic. Enjoy, AVEN! :P

aussiekirkland

That relationship hierarchy is the reason why I`m closeted, to be honest. The many, many ways that human culture is obsessed with and institutionalises romantic love has left me with the feeling in my mind that it`s impossible for me to disregard romance until the rest of society does, and as much as we can dream we all know that`s never going to happen.

This is also part of the reason why I don't tend to come out as aromantic. Also with the people I had already come out as ace to, I didn't feel like coming out again once I realised I was aro because I didn't want to sound like a special snowflake tumblrite because I have *gasp* two words to describe my sexuality.

Cassiel Fae

I'm personally demiromantic asexual and don't want to get married or have kids. Whenever I express this people always respond. "You'll find the right one some day" or "But don't you want to experience the joys of parenthood?" Don't get me wrong I have a large amount of respect for parents I just find it annoying when people push it upon me when I have stated that I have no desire for it.

Ace of Amethysts

This is also part of the reason why I don't tend to come out as aromantic. Also with the people I had already come out as ace to, I didn't feel like coming out again once I realised I was aro because I didn't want to sound like a special snowflake tumblrite because I have *gasp* two words to describe my sexuality.

You hit the nail on the head there. :mellow:

Push Pop the Wolfdog

"You might change your mind one day."

I haven't changed my mind since I was six years old.

Ace of Amethysts

"You're just a late bloomer"

Or as my mum puts it, "you`re just abstaining". -_- :angry:

Blackthorn

"Your life must be very unfulfilled without a partner..."

SpaceDustbin

"You don't have a boyfriend yet? You should really consider getting a boyfriend before you're too old"

uhm....I am perfectly fine with being single atm, thankyouverymuch.

Aaannnd... "Why don't you have a boyfriend? You're such a nice girl"

I don't know about you, but that's not how it works.

Ace of Amethysts

"Maybe you're just not straight, what if you're gay"

I`ve never gotten this from her, because while she isn`t homophobic she desperately wants me to be straight. -_- :(

Aaannnd... "Why don't you have a boyfriend? You're such a nice girl"

I don't know about you, but that's not how it works.

Hahaha why do people always say stuff like that?

It's like they think a guy shows up at your door and says: "Hey... word on the street is that you're nice. Let's go out sometime"

Archived