Annoying things romantics say

Lmaohelpme

Oh, and another thing I don't understand the appeal of: calling your partner "daddy/mama". hork.

And they always try to justify it by saying "I don't actually think of him as my dad!" ...well that's what daddy means you fucking weirdo.

UncommonNonsense

^^^ THIS!

Calling a romantic/sexual partner a term reserved for a parent is fucking twisted! Kind of greasily incestuous... gross.

^^^ THIS!

Calling a romantic/sexual partner a term reserved for a parent is fucking twisted! Kind of greasily incestuous... gross.

I've never heard my parents do this when talking to each other but when talking to us (my sister or me) that always used papa, maman.

My mother still do this and also talks about grandma when talking about her mother to me.

Push Pop the Wolfdog

Oh, and another thing I don't understand the appeal of: calling your partner "daddy/mama". hork.

And they always try to justify it by saying "I don't actually think of him as my dad!" ...well that's what daddy means you fucking weirdo.

Eh, I think it's creepy, but mainly when its out of context. I don't really mind if people do that, just keep it away from me please.

Push Pop the Wolfdog

- Talking about their love/sex life and then getting pissed off when you say it's making you uncomfortable. >.<

- "You just haven't met the right person yet." Actually, I have. They're called 'nobody'.

- "But when you have kids..." I AM NOT GOING TO HAVE KIDS DO I LOOK LIKE A BABY MACHINE TO YOU???? HUMAN BABIES ARE GROSS. I swear all they do is poop, throw up, and cry so loud, their vocal chords bleed to death.

- "It's a woman's role to have children." ... #SCREWYOURGENDERBINARY #SCREWYOURGENDERROLES and #SCREWYOURPROFOUNDIGNORANCE

- "Don't you want to know what it's like to be a mother?" ... Dude, just because I'm aromantic doesn't mean I don't have maternal instincts. Humans are animals, dammit.

- "You just haven't met the right person yet." Actually, I have. They're called 'nobody'.

- "But when you have kids..." I AM NOT GOING TO HAVE KIDS DO I LOOK LIKE A BABY MACHINE TO YOU???? HUMAN BABIES ARE GROSS. I swear all they do is poop, throw up, and cry so loud, their vocal chords bleed to death.

This.

Ace of Amethysts

- Talking about their love/sex life and then getting pissed off when you say it's making you uncomfortable. >.<

- "It's a woman's role to have children." ... #SCREWYOURGENDERBINARY #SCREWYOURGENDERROLES and #SCREWYOURPROFOUNDIGNORANCE

- "Don't you want to know what it's like to be a mother?" ... Dude, just because I'm aromantic doesn't mean I don't have maternal instincts. Humans are animals, dammit.

Absolutely agreed with all of these. ^_^

UncommonNonsense

Agreed, a thousand times over!

Although, I have no maternal instinct for anything that doesn't have fur.

Tarfeather

I came here to be offended, but it turns out nobody is offending romantic people in general. :(

ClayDaDalek

**makes a half-ass attempt to offend Tar**

..is that good?

Hermit Advocate

Cleo could take offence at you telling them what to do Splatacus. :P

ClayDaDalek

I take offence to that! :O

:loL:

Ace of Amethysts

Agreed, a thousand times over!

Although, I have no maternal instinct for anything that doesn't have fur.

That sounds like me too :P

I came here to be offended, but it turns out nobody is offending romantic people in general. :(

Except for passionatefriend61. :lol:

When you try asking your friend things like 'How do you know if you're in love? What does it feel like to be in love?'
And they just answer 'Oh you will notice it' or 'Oh you'll know when it happens'
And you're just as confused as you were before

That's actually interesting. What do romantics think about the stuff mentioned here? Are they annoyed when people around them behave like that?

(Now that I think of it... "You hang up... no, YOU hang up... no you hang up" annoys me to no end. Just hang the fuck up already.)

Blackthorn

I only have maternal instincts for furry things that meow :)

It really annoys me when I am expected to find babies cute because I am female!

Hermit Advocate

^ babies look like potatoes.

Just had another "don't worry, you'll meet someone" thrown at me last night. Granted it was my aunt and she doesn't know I'm ace, but all I could thinks of was, "no, no, I'm good."

Ace of Amethysts

#AroAceProblems

Telecaster68
(Now that I think of it... "You hang up... no, YOU hang up... no you hang up" annoys me to no end. Just hang the fuck up already.)

I love it when one of them is me, and it's cute when you hear someone else doing it. 'Parting is such sweet sorrow', as Shakespeare said.

On Dissolved's question: the impression I get is that you aromantics are all so damn literal. :)

And this romance stuff is fun. Even when it's frustrating, depressing, baffling... somewhere deep down, the ability to experience that kind of rollercoaster of emotions makes us feel alive. And also, when it stops, the positive pay off, in closeness, joy, intimacy, sharing, is just as intense, or even more intense. And we know it.

Obviously nobody's perfect... "

when people say that, it's a combination of 'you're perfect for me' and 'I want to say the nicest stuff I can think of to you because you make me feel so amazing'.

'you're lucky you don't have to go through this'

sounds like a version of a humble brag. They're probably loving the swirl of emotions, the adrenalin, the pounding heart.

'you'll feel differently when you meet the right one.'"

If you're 30... yeah, that's just patronising. If you're 13, they - statistically - probably have a point.

'... or like you get a girlfriend and suddenly your depression and all your problems are gone?'

Well, they're not gone, but you feel better about yourself and the world starts to look like a good place again.

"you are the reason I'm alive. you're my entire world. I would die without you"

Yeah, that's creepy. I'd run.

Anything to do with how upset they are about breaking up - save your tears for someone who cares

I thought aros were great at being friends?

"I admire that you're strong enough to be single".

That's pretty double edged, really. Subtext: 'Clearly there's something repulsive about you, but you've convinced yourself you don't care. Good work.'

"I think I've just fallen in love."

No, you didn't. You just want to fuck that beautifull girl.

Oh come on. There's a difference.

"We only met last week but I know we're going to be together forever!" Ha, tell me that a month from now.

I think that's age speaking more than romanticism, Sally... That's my reaction too.

• 2 weeks later...
All the little Lights

My room is surrounded by roses, I like to call it Sleeping Beauty's Room. I don't think there is anything about it, but I have got many comments about the prince climbing up the rose wall to my room. No! Just no!

(Most times I think it's funny though.)

GloomyGhost

My room is surrounded by roses, I like to call it Sleeping Beauty's Room. I don't think there is anything about it, but I have got many comments about the prince climbing up the rose wall to my room. No! Just no!

(Most times I think it's funny though.)

The first thing that came on my mind was "I hope not, I wanna sleep in on the week-ends."

Plectrophenax

Most have already been said, but one of which I have heard multiple variations is the following;

"Love [in the romantic sense] is an essential part of human life."

That might be true for many people, a majority even, but thanks for really hammering home that alienation.

"That's just another word for asshole"

Ha!

"Oh, come on, it's the least romantic thing I've ever done in my life, that's the whole point."

That's actually quite interesting. It shows what whoever said that means by 'romantic' - not just anything relation- or date-related, but something that involves a certain degree of sincerity.

And I never liked how so many of the caregivers in the daycare I used to work at would always "pair up" the kids! They'd be like "oh they're totally together!" And I'd bite my tongue to stop myself from saying "really?? Really??!!??!! They're hardly over a year old!!"
*facepalms and sighs*

I have witnessed this too. But it really is a generally common practice - heck, it's the entire point behind 'shipping' [i think, don't roast me if I'm wrong], and that's a rather thriving subculture among avid consumers of popular fiction.

It happens to me all the time as well, to the point that I sometimes refuse to disclose the gender of the person I happend to have spent time with - which, of course, makes the 'knowing' grins all the wider.

"I think I've just fallen in love."

No, you didn't. You just want to fuck that beautifull girl.

I have struggled with the meaning behind the phrase "to fall in love" for absolutely ever. And I'm sorry to say that, more often than not, it does seem to imply nothing beyond interest in someone's appearance, and sometimes more specifically interest in sexual engagement with said person. Nothing more. But I feel that's a little unfair. There are many who do not leap to this expression when aroused and would deem it inadequate, making me suspect that most people do mean to imply more than that, even if it's a kind of thing that can't be verbalised nor perhaps even understood properly. Like a general interest to 'spend time' with someone [one also happens to be sexually attracted to].

When people assume that I "like someone" romantically, when we are just friends.
"You like him!" quoth they. I instantly affirm the negative. Then... "You can tell us! We won't tell! We're all friends here!" no matter how I assure them that there is no romantic attraction, they are convinced otherwise. I am guilty until proven innocent.

No doubt they percieve themselves as hitting the nail on the head the more you refuse to 'confess'. It's a lose-lose situation.

When you try asking your friend things like 'How do you know if you're in love? What does it feel like to be in love?'
And they just answer 'Oh you will notice it' or 'Oh you'll know when it happens'
And you're just as confused as you were before

I cannot stand this, but I suppose it's to be expected. Due to being a generally inquisitive person with a tendency to ask pesky questions, this is the 'annoying thing romantics say' that I have, personally, heard by far the most.

On Dissolved's question: the impression I get is that you aromantics are all so damn literal. :)

And this romance stuff is fun. Even when it's frustrating, depressing, baffling... somewhere deep down, the ability to experience that kind of rollercoaster of emotions makes us feel alive. And also, when it stops, the positive pay off, in closeness, joy, intimacy, sharing, is just as intense, or even more intense. And we know it.

Guilty as charged ^_^

And, honestly, the reason I don't use the term 'aromantic' is precicely because I genuinely think it sounds like something amazing if felt ernestly and when that feeling is mutually shared. I have no doubt that there is significantly more behind the dominance of romance in every medium ever created than base sexual desire.

But, alas, I do not feel it. I do not understand it. I do not know it.

"you are the reason I'm alive. you're my entire world. I would die without you"

Yeah, that's creepy. I'd run.

Come now, you just quoted Shakespeare. What's the plot of one of his most well-known and, dare I say, beloved plays? That kind of sentiment is very commonly treated as the pinnacle of what constitutes the romantic and is generally percieved as being endearing. Something that is generally endowed with positive connotations, even - and in some cases especially - in today's jaded and cynical world [at least around my parts].

Telecaster68
What's the plot of one of his most well-known and, dare I say, beloved plays? That kind of sentiment is very commonly treated as the pinnacle of what constitutes the romantic and is generally percieved as being endearing.

It depends on context of how 'I'd die without you' is meant. It could be a version of the 'No words can possibly overstate how intensely I feel about you', and especially during the limerance period, it does feel something like they're your world. But those words could also be implying you're responsible for that person's happiness in a really codependent way, and almost a threat that if you don't do as they want, you're callous and hateful. I guess that since aromantics don't do limerance, they're assuming it's the latter.

And Romeo and Juliet is actually, technically, a tragedy, though people do use its tropes it in exactly the same way Shakespeare mocks Romeo for over Rosalyn in the first act. Using its rather clunky coincidence-based conclusion to celebrate romance is a bit like quoting Death Of A Salesman to celebrate capitalism or Henry V to celebrate war.

My partner is legitimately the only reason I wouldn't take a painless suicide pill if it were available to me. Fight me.

Plectrophenax

It depends on context of how 'I'd die without you' is meant. It could be a version of the 'No words can possibly overstate how intensely I feel about you', and especially during the limerance period, it does feel something like they're your world. But those words could also be implying you're responsible for that person's happiness in a really codependent way, and almost a threat that if you don't do as they want, you're callous and hateful. I guess that since aromantics don't do limerance, they're assuming it's the latter.

And Romeo and Juliet is actually, technically, a tragedy, though people do use its tropes it in exactly the same way Shakespeare mocks Romeo for over Rosalyn in the first act. Using its rather clunky coincidence-based conclusion to celebrate romance is a bit like quoting Death Of A Salesman to celebrate capitalism or Henry V to celebrate war.

I'm well aware that the expression is mostly meant hyperbolically or even humprously. I'm also aware that Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy [it could be little else]. It's nonetheless an expression that is generally positively connotated, and a sentiment that is looked upon as extreme, but extreme in a distinctly 'good' way.

I just pointed that out because you seemed to have advocated for the romantic position in your response, yet you expressed agreement in the notion that saying things like "you're my world, I'd die without you" is creepy. If you start off your post by pointing out that most aromantics strike you as being particuarly literal, it's suprising that you responded to that one point in a literal way.

Telecaster68

I'm saying 'you're my world etc' can be romantic in some contexts, and creepy in others. Unsurprisingly, aromantics don't see the romantic version. In any case, it's a completely different thing to having complex feelings over saying goodnight.

On Dissolved's question

...hmm? What question did I ask??

You lost me at the "attraction" fallacy..

Archived