anyone past 50 on here?

will123

Hydro has been out since 5 PM (11 now) due to an motor vehicle accident. Generator fired up for the evening,

• Like 6
9 hours ago, will123 said:

Generator

Envious!

• Like 5
will123

Hydro came on around 15 minutes after I posted. Initially the update for it coming back was 7:30, but was revised to 11. We've only used it sparingly over the years. It's coming up two years for a derecho that went thru. Hydro was down about a day in the village. Outlying areas (especially where access to the lines is difficult) was much longer.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, will123 said:

Hydro came on around 15 minutes after I posted. Initially the update for it coming back was 7:30, but was revised to 11. We've only used it sparingly over the years. It's coming up two years for a derecho that went thru. Hydro was down about a day in the village. Outlying areas (especially where access to the lines is difficult) was much longer.

what is Hydro, in this context, please?

• Like 7
will123
1 hour ago, Tyke said:

what is Hydro, in this context, please?

For most of our period of electrification, Ontario and Quebec's power was hydroelectric (dams with power generators). As a result most people refer to anything to do with our power as hydro, hydro poles or hydro lines. The utility the looks after power distribution used to be Ontario Hydro and is now Hydro One.

'

• Like 8
will123

Forum seems a bit faster as of 11:45 PM Eastern

• Like 7
Myssterry

The site is working normally for me at the moment.  Weather here is fine and sunny now.  I am planning lots of garden work over the weekend.  I currently have a croaky voice I am hoping will not go completely as I don't want to cancel teaching.

• Like 7
Skycaptain

First world difference of opinion. I like clover in a lawn as it's a good Nitrogen fixer, plus small pollinators like the flowers. My nearest and dearest thinks it's taking over 

• Like 6
daveb
13 hours ago, Myssterry said:

The site is working normally for me at the moment.

same for me

13 hours ago, Myssterry said:

I am planning lots of garden work over the weekend.  I currently have a croaky voice I am hoping will not go completely as I don't want to cancel teaching.

good luck on both the gardening and your voice getting better.

10 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

My nearest and dearest thinks it's taking over 

Not a clover lover? :lol: 

The heat is on here. By which I mean, we're expecting some hot dry weather. They're predicting 86F/30C Friday and Saturday, and no rain in the 10 day forecast. :( 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, daveb said:

no rain in the 10 day forecast

:(

• Like 4
Gentle Giant

This week has been busy for me. On Monday I went on my lunch break to pay for and get my license tabs for my car as they are closed by the time I get off work, after work I called my virus protection company to renew my subscription and that went much better than I was expecting. The guy was nice and easy enough to understand. We did have some trouble at first with my reading off my key code. Turns out I couldn’t see a letter very well that I thought was a number. I have trouble with small text.  Once we figured that out things went fine. Tuesday I went to the gas station to get gas and pay at the pump which I’m not used to and need to do in order to use my HyVee fuel saver perks card. I’m getting used to it now with practice. Wednesday I went to bank for cash and then pick up flowers for mom for Mother’s day, I always get it before the actual day, then I will take her out for lunch this week end. Will have lots to do on the weekend as well.

• Like 8
Skycaptain

Looks like the description of a British summer "Three fine days and a thunderstorm" is going to be true. Today we're basking in 23°c, 73°f, same tomorrow, but Sunday is a lot cooler with storms forecast 

• Like 7
Myssterry

I don't care about the temperature, but have a lot of gardening planned.  I need to clear a border and plant it up with annuals, and can't do that in a thunderstorm.  I only get a half day to do anything on Saturdays, so have a Sunday of gardening planned.  The storms here aren't forecast until Tuesday, so I have my fingers crossed.  Got back today hoping to have a relaxing sit in the garden, but the neighbours were busy putting up more high slat fencing with black weed matting facing me.  They now feel fully supported and justified by the Planning Office, of course.  

• Like 6
will123

@Myssterry Get a friend to mount a 'dead' security cam on your home (preferably when they're home) facing their property and see what kind of reaction that it gets.

• Like 5
Skycaptain

To verify that I'm British, I've just had fish'n'chips, a chip sarnie and a can of lager for dinner 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

To verify that I'm British, I've just had fish'n'chips, a chip sarnie and a can of lager for dinner 

:lol: 

Cheers, mate. ;) 

Today was the hottest day of the year so far here. 90F/32C. And according to the weather site, it has equaled or exceeded to record high for this date. The historic average is 68F/20C. Anyone who still thinks global warming/climate change isn't real and isn't now and who doesn't think we should do anything about it won't get my vote or sympathy. I'm sitting here with a headache/migraine and a cold pack around my neck (need to change the cold pack as the cold has dissipated). :P 

• Like 6

@daveb I hope your head feels better soon!

• Like 6
Muledeer

Yesterday, I went to lunch with three of my life-long friends to celebrate Ronney's retirement.  We have all known each other since we were twelve years old.  I intend to send this photo to one of our friends who could not be with us because he is incarcerated on a 20+ year prison term.  We were all born within a few months of each other in 1963.

Spoiler

20240507-143440.jpg

• Like 8
pickles.

We were all born within a few months of each other in 1963.

Awesome photo!

• Like 7
Gentle Giant

The weather here has been very nice the last couple days. I washed my car on the driveway. I also did a bunch of other chores and stuff. Still have much to do, so hopefully get more done tomorrow. We have city wide cleanup and put out stuff at the curb to be taken to the dump. There are people who go around town picking through and taking stuff too.

• Like 7
Muledeer

Tonight, I am chasing the Northern lights.  I saw them faintly performing while diluted by city lights last night, and since they were forecast to continue tonight, I changed my plans and drove up to the ranch (about a 2 hour drive).  I was treated to one moose and three elk during the last five miles of my journey, and then a spectacular sunset after I got here.  I arrived in the wake of a thunderstorm that had dropped a layer of graupel and cooled the air to about 5 C (41F).  I ate my evening meal, built a fire in the woodstove, and now I am awaiting total darkness and clearing clouds in hopes that the aurora will turn on.

• Like 9

Good luck, @Muledeer! Sounds very nice. I don't plan to go anywhere, except out in my yard to see if I can see anything (if I can manage to be awake later). :) 

• Like 7
Muledeer

Here are a couple of pics from tonight.  Currently experiencing a moderate rain storm, so no aurora so far.

Spoiler

20240511-203023.jpg

20240511-193350.jpg

• Like 9

Well, you got mooned anyway. :P 

• Like 8
will123

I went to bed early Friday so I didn't check the northern lights which were supposed to be visible in my part of the province.

I'm in Cleveland Ohio for the weekend for a concert tonight. Saxon and Uriah Heep at an old Masonic Temple. The venue was huge and it was a good show.

Tomorrow my friend and I are off to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

• Like 8
47 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

in hopes that the aurora will turn on.

They were visible where I live last night, via phone camera.  Tonight it’s raining.  I hope you get to see them!

• Like 6
Myssterry

No aurora where I am, but on Friday night it was visible this far south nearer the coast.  Lots of light pollution here, sadly.

I have had a sort of throat/sinus bug all week giving me a croaky voice.  I didn't sleep well last night as I was coughing, but the cough has gone now I am up.  I have been  digging the border ready for replanting, and it is quite warm, so I am dripping. 😮  Hopefully that will flush out the virus making me a bit ill.  My dad was a great believer in that.  First sign of a cold and he buried himself under the bedclothes to "sweat it out".  

• Like 7
Gentle Giant

Hope you feel better soon, @Myssterry.

Mom and I were curious about the aurora, and was going to look out if we happen to be up when it was happening. But we weren’t up at that time, so didn’t see anything. Hope you did see it, @Muledeer.

8 hours ago, will123 said:

I'm in Cleveland Ohio for the weekend for a concert tonight. Saxon and Uriah Heep at an old Masonic Temple. The venue was huge and it was a good show.

Tomorrow my friend and I are off to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

That is cool!

• Like 7
Skycaptain

Yesterday was a good bike ride. Today is giving the house a deep clean as we've a property inspection midweek. Not sure how legal these are,but we humour the letting agents 

• Like 7

I hope you have fun, @will123!

I hope you get well soon, @Myssterry!

I woke up after midnight last night so I decided to go outside and see what I could see. Stars were visible, but no aurora.

• Like 8