anyone past 50 on here?

daveb
9 hours ago, bruno1967 said:

Hi to all, 56 years young 

Welcome and :cake: !

6 hours ago, Tyke said:

I've been called, for the first time, to do service in the middle of May. I visited the public gallery at the Court last week to get some idea of what might happen. But they call more people than they need, so there's no guarantee that I'll be selected at all.

Yeah, if it's like the US they call a lot more people than they need. I have often been summoned, then call the line the night before and find I've been dismissed before even having to go in. Other times I have sat around in the jury waiting rooms for a couple of hours or even most of the day and then been excused. And have gotten into the courtroom, but excused before getting into the jury box as a potential juror as they filled out the jury before I got there (or because they excused anyone who raised their hand for having a reason it would cause some issue - like when I was scheduled to go on a business trip during the time the trial was expected to be in progress).

• Like 8
Nick2
6 hours ago, daveb said:

Welcome and :cake: !

Yeah, if it's like the US they call a lot more people than they need. I have often been summoned, then call the line the night before and find I've been dismissed before even having to go in. Other times I have sat around in the jury waiting rooms for a couple of hours or even most of the day and then been excused. And have gotten into the courtroom, but excused before getting into the jury box as a potential juror as they filled out the jury before I got there (or because they excused anyone who raised their hand for having a reason it would cause some issue - like when I was scheduled to go on a business trip during the time the trial was expected to be in progress).

What do they use to call people for jury duty?  Voter rolls, phone book, tax records?

• Like 6
daveb
31 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

What do they use to call people for jury duty?  Voter rolls, phone book, tax records?

I may be wrong, but I think it's voter rolls and DMV records.

Ah, I looked it up and according to the state bar for Oregon at least, it says:

The potential jurors are drawn from lists of registered voters, licensed drivers, and other sources

Whatever "other sources" are. :P 

• Like 6
18 hours ago, bruno1967 said:

Hi to all, 56 years young 

Welcome!

• Like 6
will123

In the Province of Ontario, it's property tax records. If you own property you can get summoned. Renters don't have that worry.

• Like 7
will123

@daveb A comment about my recent posts in the TIL thread. You have to wonder what people were thinking when they named a place in one part of the US that was already in use elsewhere. Was communication that bad in the 1800s?

• Like 7
Skycaptain

In Britain they carefully select those it would cause maximum inconvenience to - the hourly paid, self-employed, people with nobody else to cover their job etc. 

The Idea of selecting the recently retired, currently unemployed etc is nope 

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

In Britain they carefully select those it would cause maximum inconvenience to - the hourly paid, self-employed, people with nobody else to cover their job etc. 

The Idea of selecting the recently retired, currently unemployed etc is nope 

Well I'm retired (albeit not recently) and got selected!

It's reportedly a random selection from the voters roll. Talking of which it is local election day here. I'll be going out to vote in-person later.

• Like 9
daveb
12 hours ago, will123 said:

@daveb A comment about my recent posts in the TIL thread. You have to wonder what people were thinking when they named a place in one part of the US that was already in use elsewhere. Was communication that bad in the 1800s?

Oh, yeah.

Like Portland. :P

Or Springfield. :lol: 

I guess it was less confusing since people didn't tend to move as much or travel very far as much, so if you talked about one of those places it was probably a safe bet to assume it was the nearest one.

• Like 7
will123
4 hours ago, daveb said:

Oh, yeah.

Like Portland. :P

Or Springfield. :lol: 

I guess it was less confusing since people didn't tend to move as much or travel very far as much, so if you talked about one of those places it was probably a safe bet to assume it was the nearest one.

Ottawa is I think in a couple of US states besides being our capital. There is Windsor in Ontario and Nova Scotia, plus one I had never heard of in Quebec (just north of Vermont). BC has Victoria and there is a Victoria Harbour near 'Ceebsland'. 

But I really cant think of any placenames here that are repeated like Springfield.

• Like 7

My state has multiple municipalities with the same names.

• Like 6
will123
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

🤦‍♂️

• Like 5
will123

Our trlliums are almost ready to bloom. A sure sign that black fly season is upon us (saw a few of both yesterday at the woodlot).

• Like 8
daveb
5 hours ago, will123 said:

Windsor in Ontario

One of my ancestors lived there around 1902/1903 at least.

I used to fly out of Ontario, CA (that's CA for California). :lol: 

1 hour ago, will123 said:
2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

🤦‍♂️

:lol: 

Yeah, that's even more confusing. At least if they are in different states you can append the state name to differentiate them. 

Another funny one here is Vancouver, BC and Vancouver, Washington, with the whole state of Washington between the two. Then I live in Washington county, Oregon. :P 

• Like 7
9 hours ago, daveb said:

Yeah, that's even more confusing. At least if they are in different states you can append the state name to differentiate them.

Indeed.  At the opposite end of the state there is a town with the same name as my county (pronounced differently), and also a town with the same name as my closest city.  Since the city is much larger and better-known than the town I would guess the town suffers more from the confusion.

• Like 8
pickles.

I don't have to be to work until 9:00 today (usually have to be there at 8:00, but I'm going to a different school than my usual).

The morning has felt so luxurious; I even had time to clean my bathroom.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, pickles. said:

clean my bathroom.

that would definitely NOT appear on a list of things I'd do with an extra hour before work.

• Like 9
daveb
22 minutes ago, Tyke said:

that would definitely NOT appear on a list of things I'd do with an extra hour before work.

• Like 6
pickles.
4 hours ago, Tyke said:

Ha!

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Tyke said:

Although if it was on the docket for the weekend, getting it done early during what would usually be work time is nice.

That said, who am I kidding?  I’d sleep in.

• Like 7
Just now, ryn2 said:

I’d sleep in.

snap!

• Like 7
Gentle Giant

One thing I’ve been working on lately is getting more stuff boxed up for a tag sale. But we’re still waiting for the person to call and come look at and take the stuff. The stuff we have is overwhelming and we’d feel better getting it out of here finally and hopefully make some money on it. A lot of it is my dad’s stuff and he’s been gone for 23 years. Even if we get this stuff out we still have a lot. I will continue boxing stuff up for another sale later.

• Like 8
daveb
58 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

One thing I’ve been working on lately is getting more stuff boxed up for a tag sale. But we’re still waiting for the person to call and come look at and take the stuff. The stuff we have is overwhelming and we’d feel better getting it out of here finally and hopefully make some money on it. A lot of it is my dad’s stuff and he’s been gone for 23 years. Even if we get this stuff out we still have a lot. I will continue boxing stuff up for another sale later.

So you box up a bunch of assorted stuff and hand that off to someone else to sell at a garage sale or yard sale or something? Do they give you money in advance or only after the sale? I wasn't aware of anything like that, but it could be useful.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, daveb said:

I wasn't aware of anything like that

Where I live, at least, a lot of places that do estate sales do it - they add your stuff (and potentially other people’s as well) to what’s actually available at someone’s former house.  Some sell on consignment and others estimate value and pay you upfront.

• Like 5
Muledeer

I just harvested some wintertime photos from a trail camera I left out all winter long:

da Moose!

WGI-0460-1.jpg

de Fox:

WGI-0355.jpg

• Like 10
Myssterry

Love the pics, @Muledeer, especially the fox heading through the snowy wilderness.  Reminds me a bit of seeing Little Dog sauntering past me on the drive the other day, when he was meant to be behind the side gate.  On being spotted and reprimanded for getting through, he dropped and rolled so I couldn't pick him up.  (He looked very like that fox when he was sneaking up the drive, same coat, ears and bushy tail.)

• Like 9
Skycaptain

Sunny weather on a weekend shock!!

• Like 9
will123
On 5/2/2024 at 10:50 PM, daveb said:

One of my ancestors lived there around 1902/1903 at least.

I used to fly out of Ontario, CA (that's CA for California). :lol: 

Another funny one here is Vancouver, BC and Vancouver, Washington, with the whole state of Washington between the two. Then I live in Washington county, Oregon. :P 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver,_Washington#:~:text=Vancouver shares its name with,the US city is older.

• Like 7
Gentle Giant
11 hours ago, daveb said:

So you box up a bunch of assorted stuff and hand that off to someone else to sell at a garage sale or yard sale or something? Do they give you money in advance or only after the sale? I wasn't aware of anything like that, but it could be useful.

Yes, but more like what @ryn2 says below. We have gone in on someone else’s estate tag sale, with permission from them. Didn’t do one of our own. We get paid for whatever sells and the tag sale people can donate or discard what you don’t want back. I thought we could do our own garage sale, but mom just doesn’t want to do it, thinks it would be too much hard work. Well, I don’t care to deal with the public, so having someone else do it for us is fine with me. We tried to get the tag sale lady again last year but she was too busy to help us and took forever to find out she couldn’t do it. We could have moved on and got someone else. We heard she was retiring and her son taking over the business. So we decided to give them another try. I hope they don’t keep us haging this time and actually pull through. We hope to get at least most of our unwanted stuff out of here so it won’t be so much to deal with later on.

10 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Where I live, at least, a lot of places that do estate sales do it - they add your stuff (and potentially other people’s as well) to what’s actually available at someone’s former house.  Some sell on consignment and others estimate value and pay you upfront.

• Like 7
will123
On 5/3/2024 at 8:43 AM, ryn2 said:

Indeed.  At the opposite end of the state there is a town with the same name as my county (pronounced differently), and also a town with the same name as my closest city.  Since the city is much larger and better-known than the town I would guess the town suffers more from the confusion.

The person that did that must've crossed the lake to Ontario afterwards. We have the town of Perth in eastern Ontario near Ottawa, while Perth County is in western Ontario.

• Like 6