anyone past 50 on here?

daveb
1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

Well, I don’t care to deal with the public, so having someone else do it for us is fine with me.

That would be my stance on it, too. :D 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, will123 said:

The person that did that must've crossed the lake to Ontario afterwards.

Could be.  

😂

Of course, we have Ontario county nearby… and also the town of Ontario, which is near but not in Ontario County.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, daveb said:

That would be my stance on it, too. :D 

Saaaaame.

• Like 5
will123
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Could be.  

😂

Of course, we have Ontario county nearby… and also the town of Ontario, which is near but not in Ontario County.

Both of those are new to me. Growing up I was in Ontario County which in the 70s became part of Durham Region. Not to be confused with the town of Durham in western Ontario.

EDIT: It's possible that the county was surveyed before Confederation (1867) when Ontario was known as Upper Canada.

• Like 7
Skycaptain

Official grumble. I can't read forums without wearing glasses. Given that everyone in my extended family has worn them before the age of 20, I can't complain, but it does remind me that I'm no longer a kidlet 

• Like 8
pickles.
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Official grumble. I can't read forums without wearing glasses. Given that everyone in my extended family has worn them before the age of 20, I can't complain, but it does remind me that I'm no longer a kidlet 

Haha, I've needed glasses since 5th grade.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Official grumble.

Time comes for us all…

• Like 6
daveb
3 hours ago, pickles. said:

Haha, I've needed glasses since 5th grade.

I probably needed them earlier than I got them (in junior high I realized I could see better with a friend's glasses than I could without glasses - my own first clue that my eyesight wasn't as good as it should be). I don't know if vision issues were part of the reason I wasn't good at sports when I was younger (or more due to being a klutz and someone who found sports boring :P ).

6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I did need to start getting a separate prescription for computer work, some years ago (sometime in my 40s or 50s).

• Like 7
pickles.
13 minutes ago, daveb said:

I probably needed them earlier than I got them

And I got mine much earlier than I would wear them.  Got cat eye glasses in 5th grade but never wore them.  (I don't remember anyone insisting that I wear them.  I feel like I had an almost-feral upbringing--very little parental oversight.)  Started wearing wire-rimmed glasses during high school, but just in class or when driving.  Didn't wear glasses full-time until college.

• Like 7

I was nearsighted but not to such an extent that it caused a big problem… I should have worn glasses for driving since early college but didn’t.  It wasn’t until the presbyopia set in that I finally caved.

• Like 7
will123

Grade 7 for me. While I could see the blackboard and read what the teacher had printed or written, the glasses made a huge difference.

• Like 8
daveb
13 minutes ago, pickles. said:

And I got mine much earlier than I would wear them.  Got cat eye glasses in 5th grade but never wore them.  (I don't remember anyone insisting that I wear them.  I feel like I had an almost-feral upbringing--very little parental oversight.)  Started wearing wire-rimmed glasses during high school, but just in class or when driving.  Didn't wear glasses full-time until college.

My sister had the cat eye glasses. I had nerd glasses. I wore them full time once I got them. I had to choose between not looking too much like the nerd I was or being able to see clearly. :P 

• Like 7
Myssterry

Didn't need glasses until my fifties, when I couldn't read small print anymore.  Then it progressed to needing them for any reading.  I still don't absolutely need distance glasses, but except for really distant stuff, I see more clearly with specs.  I never managed to get on with the varifocals I had - I never had anything in focus when I wore them, felt insecure coming down slopes or stairs while wearing them etc.  My best glasses for reading, computer work, reading music, teaching piano are some ready readers I bought through Amazon.  They are good quality ones, not the really cheap ones that fall apart in a few months.  Prescription glasses for close work don't seem to give me the best focus.    

Off to the wisteria garden soon and hoping it will be at its best.  Hopefully the tea and cake will be good too. :)

• Like 8
Myssterry

421956022-7588617244554618-8982209741489

Success!

• Like 8

Glasses at age 10 here. I take them off for very close work and often to read, but other than that they stay on all day long. The prescription is quite strong but is mellowing just a touch as I age.

• Like 7
daveb
4 hours ago, Myssterry said:

421956022-7588617244554618-8982209741489

Success!

Yay! Looks like a fine and pleasant garden. :D 

• Like 7
will123

Has anyone noticed AVEN being slow? I'm not sure if it's the forum or my internet connection.

• Like 8
44 minutes ago, will123 said:

Has anyone noticed AVEN being slow? I'm not sure if it's the forum or my internet connection.

Slow for me as well.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, will123 said:

Yes, markedly slow today.

• Like 8
daveb

Yep, slow as slow can be. I can't seem to catch up with threads.

It's making it hard to do admod stuff, too.

• Like 8
will123

I was editing a PM and when I went to save it, I got the message that I wasnt able to edit it. I tried again on my laptop and was successful

• Like 7
Skycaptain
8 hours ago, daveb said:

Yep, slow as slow can be. I can't seem to catch up with threads.

It's making it hard to do admod stuff, too.

I can't even access admod forums. There must be a glitch somewhere 

• Like 7
Myssterry

Dreary, wet day here.  Been writing reports.  One more batch to go.

It took longer to post the picture of the garden I went to yesterday, than to actually visit the garden and take the picture. :P  Or that's what it felt like.

What with the weather and the report writing, my brain feels fried, so I must do something more active to wake myself up before I go to Tesco.  Wet British Bank Holidays make time seem endless and sap one of any motivation.

• Like 6
will123
3 hours ago, Myssterry said:

Dreary, wet day here.  Been writing reports.  One more batch to go.

It took longer to post the picture of the garden I went to yesterday, than to actually visit the garden and take the picture. :P  Or that's what it felt like.

What with the weather and the report writing, my brain feels fried, so I must do something more active to wake myself up before I go to Tesco.  Wet British Bank Holidays make time seem endless and sap one of any motivation.

What's the basis for bank holidays? I've always seen them noted on calendars, but it's one British 'thing' that was never adopted here.

• Like 6
daveb
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I can't even access admod forums. There must be a glitch somewhere 

Not at all?

I can. It's just slow, like everything else.

• Like 4
Muledeer

I'm slow as well...

• Like 6
Myssterry

I have finished writing my reports. 🥳

Happy Celebration GIF by Steve Harvey TV - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 7
Myssterry

Neighbours using white chippings to edge a path that looks like something from a cemetery.  

Coping & Chips | Cemetery Services | Madison Monuments In GA

Bit like that but without the headstone.  I hope when they install the artificial grass it will at least be green, as you can get different hideous colours now.  One thing I note is that the fencing facing them on both sides isn't adorned with weed matting; that just faces both their neighbouring sides.  Funny that.  

• Like 5
Skycaptain

I can only get onto threads where I'm going through "likes"

• Like 5