anyone past 50 on here?

1 hour ago, Deja Vu said:

I'm learning that medical care assumes a few things: 1) you do not live alone, 2) if you do live alone, you have a list of people waiting for you to call for rides, pet care, wound dressing, etc. and 3) you have unlimited time available and can fit anything into your schedule at any time.

Very true.

• Like 6
46 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

They are not that bad.  Easy to cure early and hell if you wait to stage 4 cancer.

This is my take.  I’d rather have one now and catch something early than have one once or twice a month during treatment of something I didn’t catch early.

Definitely a personal choice, though!

• Like 7
Mysearchbroughtme_here
54 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

"

This is a safe place right? Then I'll admit to never having a colonoscopy, and not scheduling one anytime soon."

•  

I've never had one either.

Me either.

Hoping that @teatreeand @Nick2 make fast and full recoveries.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Deja Vu said:

I'm learning that medical care assumes a few things: 1) you do not live alone, 2) if you do live alone, you have a list of people waiting for you to call for rides, pet care, wound dressing, etc. and 3) you have unlimited time available and can fit anything into your schedule at any time.

I think that is very true. (like Ryn said) :) 

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

They are not that bad.  Easy to cure early and hell if you wait to stage 4 cancer.

Agreed

13 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

This is my take.  I’d rather have one now and catch something early than have one once or twice a month during treatment of something I didn’t catch early.

Definitely a personal choice, though!

Agreed with this, too. Definitely a personal choice and I won't judge other people's choices. We all make our choices when it comes to healthcare decisions. I probably make some choices myself that other people would disagree with.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

I'm sure you're right. For me it's about the logistics. Oh yeah, I forgot I don't live alone, or if I do, I have all kinds of people ready to help - and I don't have to worry about taking time off work as I have unlimited sick time. The fear enters into it later!

• Like 7
BobRossRules
22 hours ago, Tja said:

've missed 2 colonoscopies because I have no one to take me, and stay with me. I've driven myself to, and from minor surgeries, but they won't let me for this.

The only thing about being alone, so far, that sucks.

I can relate to that.  They won't even let you arrange an Uber!  Some places have shuttles, but most do not.  If I were closer, I'd give you a ride!

5 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Then he started with how I could get a device implanted in my penis that would allow me to pump it up for sex.  I thought, "God, no, who came up with that?"  Can you imagine the next sex scene in a movie where the guy says, "Hold on while I pump myself up?"  Now that is sexy.  Would that be called a pump job?

Haha!!  I hope your recovery is going well.

• Like 7
BobRossRules
2 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

Reminds me of creating password prompts.  It's always "what is your spouse's middle name?" "What city did you meet your spouse?" Or the name of your first born, etc.  Assumes you're married and have children.  The the other questions are usually not applicable to me and I end up choosing something so disconnected that I can never remember the answer.  Needless to say, I'm forever resetting passwords.:lol:    

• Like 9
BobRossRules

Do we need an AVEN meet for us to all get colonoscopies together?  We'd need a designated driver, LOL :lol:  

• Like 12
1 minute ago, faraday☘ said:

Do we need an AVEN meet for us to all get colonoscopies together?  We'd need a designated driver, LOL :lol:  

:lol: 

• Like 9

I had my so-far only colonoscopy a few months past 52, having procrastinated two years beyond the recommended age to begin getting them. Thanks, everyone, for reminding me that I come due for my second one early next year.:P

Of course, it’s not the procedure I mind given the sedation, it’s the prep! Is it too much to hope that one no longer has to spend hours drinking all that ghastly stuff the prior day? :o:o

@wellies, welcome to the forum. I’d think that for housekeeping work you’d want to wear protective gloves (rubber or nitrile or latex), which would at least save you from having direct physical contact with any potentially repellent items. 

37 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

Reminds me of creating password prompts.  It's always "what is your spouse's middle name?" "What city did you meet your spouse?" Or the name of your first born, etc.

I hate the pre-chosen prompts too. Sometimes there are so few options left, once I rule out the questions that don’t apply to me, that I still have to choose one of those and just make up an answer! I think it would also make more sense from a security standpoint to have users create their own questions. That way you could put in something memorable to you but so obscure that no one else could possibly hack the answer.

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Is it too much to hope that one no longer has to spend hours drinking all that ghastly stuff the prior day?

Indeed, it is too much to hope.

• Like 7

As someone who has worked closely with IT Security for a long time, I feel compelled to advise/remind everyone NOT to use the truth/other obvious choices for your security question responses.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Tunhope said:

We get those NHS bowel cancer packs through the door every couple of years after age 65 ( 60?) ( where we attach a liitle smear to a stick, reseal the package and send it back). I think that's all though. I've never been asked to attend anything as a routine thing.

The first one comes at 60 and then every two years until 75. At which point the assumption is that something else will get you first!

Why the UK does this and North America does colonoscopies, I don't know.

• Like 8

We do something like your bowel cancer packs in between colonoscopies.

• Like 6
50 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

I feel compelled to advise/remind everyone NOT to use the truth/other obvious choices for your security question responses.

Good point. I use the truth only for questions for which virtually no one else, especially a stranger, would know my answer, e.g., “Who is your favorite actor?” or “What was the name of your second-grade teacher?” 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

Asexuals getting a little behind?

• Like 6

Thanks for the well wishes, all. Recovery is slow, but I do feel a little progress is being made--less coughing, but when there is, it is less violent. This morning I made a quick trip to the grocery store and it so tired me out that I napped this afternoon! Tomorrow my big event will be going for labwork, followed by a hospital check by my PCP. And I AM taking all week off--originally I was going to attempt return on Thursday, but my supervisor texted and told me to wait till Monday (which is a relief).

On the subject of colonoscopies, my story is the same as @Semisweet--had my first one about age 52, good for 10 years, next one coming up in a year or so. 

• Like 9

@teatree, a little progress is a good start. Here’s hoping there’ll be more tomorrow as reflected in your labwork and checkup. And I hope you can get a good night’s sleep!

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

Of course, it’s not the procedure I mind given the sedation, it’s the prep! Is it too much to hope that one no longer has to spend hours drinking all that ghastly stuff the prior day? :o:o

Agreed! Last time I asked the doctor, can't they improve on that. 🤢

(they suggested to me to mix in in with other liquids, certain juices or something, so I did and since then I can stomach those juices)

54 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

We do something like your bowel cancer packs in between colonoscopies.

I haven't encountered those myself. (thankfully) :P 

15 minutes ago, teatree said:

but I do feel a little progress is being made

That's something at least. As for getting tired out easily that will probably be the case for a while (days or weeks, depending on how quickly your recovery goes).

The robin (or maybe a couple of them) were attacking the windows of my house again this morning. This time both on the front side of my house and the side facing the backyard. I guess there will be some robins mating around here soon (if they haven't started already?).

• Like 8
21 hours ago, ryn2 said:

You’re not actually unconscious; you’re awake, albeit a bit groggy and drunk-sounding, and talking.  You just don’t “store” the memory of it.

I've heard of this in other places (like Utah), but here in Portland they put you out out.

20 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Once there, I was in the room and feeling good.  So I checked out, walked a mile back to the hospital, got into my car and drove home (well, home after eating at Red Lobster).

😂 Ohmyheck!

16 hours ago, daveb said:

When I first got mine they recommended a colonoscopy when you turned 50 and one every 10 years after that if the first one was good (no polyps or anything).

I had my first at age 55, then another 5 years later because they had found two small polyps* the first time around.  Even though that one was clear, they said I should go again in 5 years instead of 10.  That would be 3 years from now.

(*Do people have words they do not like to hear, say, or even write?  That one is one of mine.  Ewww...)

11 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I thought the prep was absolutely horrid the first time around, but the second time seemed much easier--I think because I knew what to expect.

9 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

🤣

Our driver could sit on a donut cushion, in solidarity.  (Not to make anyone who hasn't had a colonoscopy nervous, cuz...you don't actually need any padding afterwards.)

8 hours ago, ryn2 said:

As someone who has worked closely with IT Security for a long time, I feel compelled to advise/remind everyone NOT to use the truth/other obvious choices for your security question responses.

Oh dear, there would be approximately zero chance of me remembering answers I had invented.  I'll just have to keep pretending people could not possibly know the name of my first pet, my elementary school, or my mother's maiden name. 

7 hours ago, teatree said:

Recovery is slow, but I do feel a little progress is being made

This is good news--I hope you get back to your badass self soon!

• Like 9
3 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I've heard of this in other places (like Utah), but here in Portland they put you out out.

😂 Ohmyheck!

I had my first at age 55, then another 5 years later because they had found two small polyps* the first time around.  Even though that one was clear, they said I should go again in 5 years instead of 10.  That would be 3 years from now.

(*Do people have words they do not like to hear, say, or even write?  That one is one of mine.  Ewww...)

I thought the prep was absolutely horrid the first time around, but the second time seemed much easier--I think because I knew what to expect.

🤣

Our driver could sit on a donut cushion, in solidarity.  (Not to make anyone who hasn't had a colonoscopy nervous, cuz...you don't actually need any padding afterwards.)

Oh dear, there would be approximately zero chance of me remembering answers I had invented.  I'll just have to keep pretending people could not possibly know the name of my first pet, my elementary school, or my mother's maiden name. 

This is good news--I hope you get back to your badass self soon!

I'm guessing 1st pet ………….. FLUFFY?

• Like 10
8 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

☺ Hahaha...yes. That's why I don't use that question!

• Like 9
3 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

That’s really unusual because it adds risk.  Normally they do fentanyl and versed (not general anesthesia), which feels out-out from the patient’s perspective but isn't.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Oh dear, there would be approximately zero chance of me remembering answers I had invented.

If it comes down to that it’s safer to pick one made-up answer and use it for everything than to use real ones.

Another option is to pick, say, a favorite book, movie, or song character and answer as if you were them.

There are lots of ways to do it.  Just avoid the real.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

strange name for a goldfish.....

• Like 9
7 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Yeah, I feel the same way about that word. :P 

7 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Oh dear, there would be approximately zero chance of me remembering answers I had invented.

Also same. :lol: (I even forgot if I capitalized some words or other choices for correct answers)

3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

That’s really unusual because it adds risk.  Normally they do fentanyl and versed (not general anesthesia), which feels out-out from the patient’s perspective but isn't.

Interesting. I thought I was totally knocked out. It happened pretty quickly (as far as I recall). But the mind is a funny thing. As long as I have no recollection of the actual procedure that's good enough for me. If only I could say the same for the prep. :P :lol: 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, daveb said:

I thought I was totally knocked out. It happened pretty quickly (as far as I recall).

Yep, that’s the normal experience and it takes less than a second.

People who remember anything beyond that were a bit light on sedation, either by accident or because they asked to be.

• Like 5