anyone past 50 on here?

6 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I got a haircut.  Bye-bye dreads.  I guess I was on a roll of chopping body parts off!

I liked the dreds but this is very cute too!

• Like 7

Struck down by a stomach bug yesterday afternoon.  :(  Feeling enough better to semi-sit-up and use my phone but still have a ways to go.  Boo.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Deja Vu said:
23 hours ago, will123 said:

The former sounds good.

The latter reminds me of a Dr Wayne Dyer video I saw in college in the late 70s. I think it was about his book Erroneous Zones. Anyways he was talking about a similar situation. Standing at the checkout ad the next person (a complete stranger) comes along and starts telling him about all their problems. He didn't wanted to hear them and I doubt anyone else would either. 

Sounds like a Woody Allen movie!

Is there an echo? :lol: (or maybe a software glitch?)

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

Struck down by a stomach bug yesterday afternoon.  :(  Feeling enough better to semi-sit-up and use my phone but still have a ways to go.  Boo.

Get well soon!

• Like 5

@ryn2 Hope you feel better soon.

@Deja Vu Good luck with your new job.

Every day I have periods of sadness about my brother’s death. Monday and Tuesday were very hard this week. Mom’s forgetfulness has been scaring me too. I hope it’s only because she’s stressed about things right now and will get better when things are more settled.

We've had 2 workers at work pass away suddenly too.

• Like 10

I have a 10 day vacation starting tomorrow.  I'll be back at work on March 10th.  Looking forward to local hiking the next 4 days, then I'm off to Red Rock Canyon just outside of Las Vegas for a couple nights of camping and desert hiking.  Vacation finishes with attending the Pac 12 Women's basketball tournament in Las Vegas.  I'll be staying at the Mandalay Bay resort right next to the event center where the basketball games will be played.  Should be fun.

Cathy

• Like 13

@ryn2, hope the bug clears quickly

@Deja Vu, hope the new job is a success 

@cdrdash, enjoy the holiday 

@faraday☘, the new hair is rad 🙂

@Gentle Giant, so many deaths, that's not nice 

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

@ryn2 Hope you feel better soon.

@Deja Vu Good luck with your new job.

Every day I have periods of sadness about my brother’s death. Monday and Tuesday were very hard this week. Mom’s forgetfulness has been scaring me too. I hope it’s only because she’s stressed about things right now and will get better when things are more settled.

We've had 2 workers at work pass away suddenly too.

Thanks!

You’ve been having a sad time recently!  I hope the bad things take a break so you can adjust.

Regardless of what else might be going on with your mom, I’m sure grieving is exacerbating her forgetfulness... 

• Like 7

@Gentle Giant, many articles online discuss the connection between grief and forgetfulness, so it indeed seems likely there is a link between the emotional trauma of your brother’s passing and your mom’s recent forgetfulness. And I’m sorry to hear, too, of the sudden deaths of your workmates. These are a lot of shocks to come to grips with in such a short time.

• Like 8

First hike of my vacation at Quail Hollow park near Felton, California.  Hiked with my friend Celeste.  It was a lovely warm day and we both loved the Woodrat trail!  Lots of lovely views from this ridge top trail.

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zLsZWmghpfQDetrN6

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, daveb said:

My brother was released from the hospital today. He is happy to be out! :) 

Did he have to go to short-stay rehab or does he get to go straight home?

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Did he have to go to short-stay rehab or does he get to go straight home?

From what I heard it sounds like he went straight home. I don't know anything about lasting effects or what kind of rehab he might need, if any.

• Like 7

@daveb Good to hear your brother is out of the hospital!

@Semisweet Mom had hip replacement surgery a few years ago and ever since then it had affected her memory. But since my brother's death it has gotten much worse. She gets very frustrated and confused. She doesn’t sleep well even before this happened. So all this just makes things worse. Her mind is on all the stuff she has to change that have him on for beneficiary and things like that. Plus we’re trying to clean out stuff from the house. It's all overwhelming. I tell her to take one thing at a time and we’ll get through this. I’m doing all I can to help her. When she gets frustrated I take over the task at hand and will go with her to the bank and things to get things taken care of. I am hoping it’s just the stress and emotional trauma that is making her this way and will get better with time, and not something like Alzheimer's/dementia going on.

Some good news, both mom and I had heart, stroke and osteoporosis screenings done and we’re both fine in that regard, nothing to worry about. I’m still waiting for my results for EKG, but the technician said based on the other results it should be fine too. It will come in the mail.

I had a better day today, not perfect, still felt some sadness but not as bad as earlier in the week. Mom said she was melancholy today.

• Like 7
26 minutes ago, daveb said:

From what I heard it sounds like he went straight home. I don't know anything about lasting effects or what kind of rehab he might need, if any.

That’s such good news.  I’m glad he is recovering so well.

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

But since my brother's death it has gotten much worse. She gets very frustrated and confused. She doesn’t sleep well even before this happened. So all this just makes things worse. Her mind is on all the stuff she has to change that have him on for beneficiary and things like that. Plus we’re trying to clean out stuff from the house. It's all overwhelming.

This is (frustrating, but) so normal.  After my long relationship fell apart I was having so many weird memory issues I thought there was something actually wrong with me.  One time I even left my car door wide open.  Not unlocked, open.  Overnight.

As time has gone by things are closer and closer to my regular baseline.

I’m glad you had a better day.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

@daveb Good to hear your brother is out of the hospital!

@Semisweet Mom had hip replacement surgery a few years ago and ever since then it had affected her memory. But since my brother's death it has gotten much worse. She gets very frustrated and confused. She doesn’t sleep well even before this happened. So all this just makes things worse. Her mind is on all the stuff she has to change that have him on for beneficiary and things like that. Plus we’re trying to clean out stuff from the house. It's all overwhelming. I tell her to take one thing at a time and we’ll get through this. I’m doing all I can to help her. When she gets frustrated I take over the task at hand and will go with her to the bank and things to get things taken care of. I am hoping it’s just the stress and emotional trauma that is making her this way and will get better with time, and not something like Alzheimer's/dementia going on.

Some good news, both mom and I had heart, stroke and osteoporosis screenings done and we’re both fine in that regard, nothing to worry about. I’m still waiting for my results for EKG, but the technician said based on the other results it should be fine too. It will come in the mail.

I had a better day today, not perfect, still felt some sadness but not as bad as earlier in the week. Mom said she was melancholy today.

Both my sister and I woke up at 3:00 AM night after night when my father was dying, and again for my brother. We repeated the pattern last year when my mom was sick and we thought we were going to lose her. Sleeplessness messes with cognition and memory. I'm not surprised your mom isn't sleeping, or that she's having problems with memory and confusion. I hope she recovers in time and gets back to normal.

• Like 9

@daveb, good news about your brother :)

@cdrdash, great photos. That's probably the only blue sky I'll see all day 

• Like 10

Looks like all 3 of my sisters are getting the shingles vaccine. I assume their doctors would tell them if the doctors thought they shouldn't. My brother's experience was enough to make them concerned and opt for "better safe than sorry". At least the worst seems to be over for him as far as I know.

It's starting out to be another sunny day here, but there is thankfully more rain in the forecast. :) 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, daveb said:

thankfully more rain in the forecast.

you wouldn't say that if you lived here. Far too much of the expletive deleted around here

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

you wouldn't say that if you lived here. Far too much of the expletive deleted around here

Nature is not all about balance these days.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Nature is not all about balance these days.

It is, we get the rain, the Sahara doesn't 😋😋

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

You never know :) 

I'm a pluviophile. I had enough of places where it hardly ever rains in the previous 60 years of my life. :P 

(but seriously, yeah, flooding is not fun)

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise
9 hours ago, daveb said:

You never know :) 

I'm a pluviophile. I had enough of places where it hardly ever rains in the previous 60 years of my life. :P 

(but seriously, yeah, flooding is not fun)

"Pluviophile' - I love it :D It might be my new "word for the week"!

@Midland Tyke, I'm not sure I'd need your expletive even if it were bucketing down here :lol: but of course it all depends on one's circumstances . . . although I think my son might have been tempted by said expletive a couple of days ago when he almost got the ride-on bogged . . . it seems the ground is still pretty squishy under the grass, even several days after the last serious downpour. Unfortunately (depending on one's point of view) a couple of the cutting blades also got bent, so he can't do any more mowing until the new ones arrive. Hopefully the ground will be a bit drier (and we won't have disappeared into the growing jungle) by then :D

• Like 6

I was trying to puzzle out what a ride-on might be but kept reading and found all the needed context.  A riding lawnmower, in my local parlance!  :)

• Like 6
7 hours ago, daveb said:

A new word for me! I love a good rain, but when it goes on and on, my allergies (to mold) act up and the dogs can't go out without getting muddy.  So would that make me a partial pluviophile?

• Like 6