What is the worst case of 'pointlessly gendered' that you have seen?

@Unleash the Echidnas tbh I was surprised the number of comments I saw on the one ist just scrolling by that were defending the gendering... fun lists tho. 

39 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

A primary school's library.

The kid's section in any library has so many gendered books... there's absolutely no reason to divide the books into what's appropriate for who especially considering how damaging traditional gender roles can be for people who either don't comply or are forced into compliance. Besides, who's it going to hurt if things are gender neutral? 

• Like 6
On 3/13/2021 at 9:25 AM, Kieran the Vampire said:

Meggings- Leggings for MEN.

I thought these were leggings for people named Meghan.

:P

• Like 5
On 3/13/2021 at 9:44 AM, Virelai said:

sheets

Wow. I have never seen those. Interesting.

PS I love your 'last unicorn" image. Did you read the book or watch the film?

• Like 2
On 3/13/2021 at 1:52 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

carsona

lol I visibly tried to restrain my laugh for this one.

• Like 2
Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

lol I visibly tried to restrain my laugh for this one.

That's the term that caught on in the Cars fandom, that's what I'm going with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

really anything,that has the so called "pink tax" attached. 

like one time use razors.

did you know,  the same product is manufactured in different colors to appeal to the different genders and are priced accordingly? real messed up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-based_price_discrimination_in_the_United_States

• Like 5
a little annihilation

girls' underwear with princesses on it

• Like 2
On 3/14/2021 at 11:40 AM, Andrea KF said:

I'm an "Adult Fan of Lego" (AFOL) but have to admit they can be blamed for this too.

Basic Lego is perfectly neutral, for everyone, but there's still examples of painting the Lego bricks pink and marketing it towards girls. Then they have all these special themes that of course are gendered for boys or for girls.

(I'm amab. I admit I have always loved the "Paradisa" sets Lego released in the 90s, for girls.)

I hear you, I despise the LEGO "friends" branch with a passion! Building bricks were one of the most gender neutral toys ever, and then they had to screw it up by making Lego for girls. like wtaf . minifigs already come in tons of different variations and can be put together in millions of different ways, so why did they have to give them boobs? and look all disproportionate like barbie dolls?

Really disappointed there.

• Like 6
Blue eyes white dragon

What really gets me is they get all the outdoor sporting/hunting stuff and pinkify it!! The goal is to be practical and not noticeable but the pink and bedazzled stuff kinda defeats the purpose. And apparently girls only like nerf  if they are all "girly". And I agree with what @Nimasaid about the legos (tho I do have to admit I somewhat like the elves set because of the fantasy settings). Also the ideas that babysitting and baking and hygiene and art stuff are just for girls and yardwork/home repairs/car stuff is for boys. I make it one of my goals to learn as much as the "manly" things as I can so I can not be helpless and to rebel against those ideas. People are always surprised I know how to do an oil change (I still ask my dad to watch in case I mess up tho). Also some that really is uselessly gendered is weddings. The man has to propose, the woman takes the name and takes care of the homemaking stuff, the man gets the boring tuxedo, and so on.

• Like 10

Then there is the case of job titles. Its not as prevalent in English as it is in German, but take for example the job description waiter/waitress. (in German all jobs are either feminine or masculine like that)

why differentiate the two if it's the same job, no matter who preforms it? why not look for a member to join the wait staff instead? probably, because a guy won't have much of a chance getting hired at Hooters. but anywhere else, it should matter that the person is doing the job well, not which sex they are. and there won't be a question as to what to call a non-binary person in the wait staff either.

I know, I gripe about this quite a bit, but it bothers me.

• Like 7

uh... society?

Spoiler

People have too many personal hangups about gender.  Everyone is so preoccupied with boxes, and whether or not someone fits into one.  Who the fuck cares.  Let people live without having to question and answer every little solitary reason what they should and shouldn't do.  It's so exhausting literally fuck off lmao

• Like 8
29 minutes ago, Blue Eyes White Dragon said:

Also some that really is uselessly gendered is weddings. The man has to propose, the woman takes the name and takes care of the homemaking stuff, the man gets the boring tuxedo, and so on.

Have an unfun fact: did you know that the father walking the bride down the isle is representative of the fact that marriage started as a business transaction and how the woman is becoming her husband's property instead of her fathers? I get that it's perpetuated now from the family bonds being represented and how families are coming together but there are so many better ways to do it without the same gendering and money stuff. 

• Like 6
On 3/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, Phalena said:

Great attitude!

I've once heard that apparently, girls aren't allowed to play bass or drums because it's 'too masculine' and that they should 'rather choose harp or flute'. For goodness sake! If I could, I would learn all of them! But why would gender even matter? I mean sure, the size of an instrument should be fitting for one's hand size but that can be arranged, can it not?

Funny, I've only seen a select few instruments as predominately played by one gender or the other. The biggest stereotypes (as far as band goes) I saw were women play flute, oboe, and clarinet, whereas men play trumpet and the low brass instruments. But all of that stereotyping is, very much pointlessly gendered.

For many years I was primarily a bassoonist (before becoming primarily an oboist about five years ago). It's a really bulky, heavy instrument, but plenty of women play it. For one semester, I played the contrabassoon, which is MAJORLY bulky. I'm the only woman I have ever known to play the contrabassoon, but I'm sure there are plenty of others out there.

19 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Wow. I have never seen those. Interesting.

PS I love your 'last unicorn" image. Did you read the book or watch the film?

I actually took a picture of them before I (had to, it was my job) stocked them.

Spoiler

jleHSqY.jpg

As for my avatar, I'm kinda shocked that people would automatically recognize it as such. I liked the intro due to the emulation of the Renaissance tapestry style, and I also really like unicorns. I watched a lot of the movie, but didn't quite finish it. Maybe if I ever have Amazon Prime again...

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Virelai said:

As for my avatar, I'm kinda shocked that people would automatically recognize it as such. I liked the intro due to the emulation of the Renaissance tapestry style, and I also really like unicorns. I watched a lot of the movie, but didn't quite finish it. Maybe if I ever have Amazon Prime again...

I was obsessed with the film as a kid. I got an original copy of the book and loved the cover as well as discovering its role in the tapestry.

The old style of unicorns are the best, not really into  the sparkly ones today.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Virelai said:

unicorns

I have this cover, but its similar to the one for the film:

Seriously a beautiful book. The language and imagery evoked by Beagle is  playful and unreal at times. Just read… | Vintage book art, The last unicorn,  Unicorn books

• Like 4

speaking of pointlessly gendered: unicorns

On the other hand I once had a cishet male boss who had a unicorn theme on his work laptop that he took to meetings and used for presentations and stuff. He had it for a good while and was totally at ease with having it. I also don't recall anyone making any todo about it. He was a really good boss.

• Like 8
Anthracite_Impreza

I like unicorns, the medieval version that's basically a fucked up narwhal-goat-horse hybrid anyway, not the horse with a horn variety. I actually did a large section of my art GCSE on medieval bestiaries and did a heraldic unicorn I was quite proud of.

• Like 8
Purple Red Panda
21 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I actually did a large section of my art GCSE on medieval bestiaries and did a heraldic unicorn I was quite proud of.

As a fan of medieval illuminated weirdness I approve.

• Like 8
Anthracite_Impreza

My absolute favourite is the fire-shitting bonnacon.

• Like 4
Purple Red Panda

It's a fine beast 😄

• Like 4

I adore both traditional unicorns and sparkly horse with a horn unicorns.

• Like 5
Oberon Jasper

I like dark unicorns. The ones that border on not being unicorns, but more like kelpies (which I absolutely adore).

• Like 4
On 3/15/2021 at 1:39 AM, Catsong said:

Does Kleenex still make their "Mansize" tissues in the UK? I was... shocked when I saw those! Why would men need a larger tissue than women anyway? Ironically, it was a woman who had the box of Mansize tissues when I first saw them! 😆

Yep, we do, and most of my family (male and female) have them because bigger tissues are more useful. There are also those tissues that come in fancy boxes, because women can only wipe their nose if the tissue comes from a floral-patterned box

• Like 5
On 3/13/2021 at 9:49 PM, Quilly said:

And makeup is something that people think is so feminine but there's so much that can be done with it and it can apply to so many things that it doesn't make sense... also, people act as though it's always been restricted to feminine individuals but historically we have very clear evidence of that not being true. (I wonder if there's a "for men" makeup line...)

and the expectation that as a woman, you're supposed to wear make up or you're not 'dressed' somehow, or you're not a real woman if you don't.

• Like 5
Oberon Jasper

Shaving your legs. It's pointless and a waste of time, why  is it expected only of women to do it?

• Like 8
Black Tourmaline
6 minutes ago, Kieran the Vampire said:

Shaving your legs

in Japan, women are expected to shave their arms as well!

all this socially enforced female hair removal is just culturally sponsored pedophilia imho.

• Like 3
Oberon Jasper
7 minutes ago, Black Tourmaline said:

in Japan, women are expected to shave their arms as well!

all this socially enforced female hair removal is just culturally sponsored pedophilia imho.

Yeah... that's uncomfortably true and I hadn't thought of that before... huh.

• Like 3