What is the worst case of 'pointlessly gendered' that you have seen?

On 3/13/2021 at 10:49 PM, Quilly said:

(I wonder if there's a "for men" makeup line...)

It is

Beauty standards are weird... just let everyone look like they want to. Make up or not, shaving or not... why does gender play so a big role in what you are expected/allowed to or in what not?

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Acecream said:

It is

They literally have a product labeled "Man bronzer for men"... I'm not sure if they've let people know what gender it's supposed to be for. 

• Like 9
On 3/13/2021 at 7:20 AM, Phalena said:

Mine were:

- a tool set in pink advertised with: 'ladies or low testosterone male pink tool set six piece';

- the game monopoly with: 'For boys and adults (above 8 years old) 2-8 players' written on the box.

female clothes usually does not have pockets or have fake ones because fashion! Also shampoo and hygiene products. Literally can be the same shaving razor but if it is pink or blue will determine if it has a lower or higher price. Most soap has been revealed to be the same stuff, but they can charge more or less based on what gender they put on packaging. Also people get wierdly judgey if you buy the wrong gender razors at store. Like "You'll not watching each other shave anyways. If pink happens to be cheaper id get it. If blue is cheaper one day I would buy that". I am froogle and very poor in general. What do you all expect from me? 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Sherlocks said:

female clothes usually does not have pockets or have fake ones because fashion! Also shampoo and hygiene products. Literally can be the same shaving razor but if it is pink or blue will determine if it has a lower or higher price. Most soap has been revealed to be the same stuff, but they can charge more or less based on what gender they put on packaging. Also people get wierdly judgey if you buy the wrong gender razors at store. Like "You'll not watching each other shave anyways. If pink happens to be cheaper id get it. If blue is cheaper one day I would buy that". I am froogle and very poor in general. What do you all expect from me? 

I heard somewhere that pockets on women's clothing were once forbidden so that they 'couldn't hide spells' but I have no idea where I've read that, so please: no one cite me.

That's no explanation for today's nonsense though. And why do people get so judgy? You could be buying them for your partner! That would make more sense when we're already assuming shait about other people that we don't know anyways.

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza

I require at least 6 deep pockets about me at all times so I may lose my keys and phone in them.

• Like 7
28 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I require at least 6 deep pockets about me at all times so I may lose my keys and phone in them.

Lol I use to carry everything in my pocket and than it slowly turned into a utility backpack. Like I had keys, keychain, phone, hair comb, hairgel, band aids, a wallet, change, pens, trash since litering is wrong and often whatever jewerly I had to take off, a pocket knife. It was always fun going through the security line to watch everyone amazed at the array of things I pulled out my pockets in utter shock! 

• Like 6

female clothes usually does not have pockets or have fake ones because fashion!

The thing is plenty of historical fashions allowed women who didn't have much freedom to roam outside the house to have monster size pockets in comparison to what modern women's section has to offer. Besides, what's fashionable about having to carry everything in your hands? Does society want the wearers of women's jeans to be the harmless "I can't pay for things myself because I can't carry a thing" figures of media or?

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Quilly said:

The thing is plenty of historical fashions allowed women who didn't have much freedom to roam outside the house to have monster size pockets in comparison to what modern women's section has to offer. Besides, what's fashionable about having to carry everything in your hands? Does society want the wearers of women's jeans to be the harmless "I can't pay for things myself because I can't carry a thing" figures of media or?

I mean I do believe this is the reason they made bags and purses. 

• Like 2
Anthracite_Impreza

Bags definitely came first, or rather, sacks. The first "bags" would've been the animal skins used to make tents that could be quickly taken down, used to carry everything, then put up again. /nerd interjection

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Acecream said:

It is

And in that link, calling mascara manscara. How pathetic. Morphing it into a word with 'man' in it is a 'genius' marketing trick 😒

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

It's ironic that being a woman is often more expensive and yet, women earn less on average.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Bags definitely came first, or rather, sacks. The first "bags" would've been the animal skins used to make tents that could be quickly taken down, used to carry everything, then put up again. /nerd interjection

True, but pockets have a long history in garments of all sorts, from being a separate piece of clothing tied around the waist before the final layer of clothing is put on (accessed through slits in outer layer) to being a seen in necessity in Victorian skirts, up until fashion designers were like “nope” and yeeted the idea out the window for tiny or fake pockets. (Fakes are THE WORST. At least with non-fake I can tuck my thumbs in the tiny openings) 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Acing It said:

It's ironic that being a woman is often more expensive and yet, women earn less on average.

Thats because women tend to go for jobs that pay less, and men currently dominate in the tech heavy fields. Also I think Jobs pay employees differently based on percieved worth or simply what you ask for in an interview. I worked at three different jobs and we later found out I made more than everyone in the office. But I also did name my own salary and the interviewer usually accepted. They say not to share your income with your coworkers but that only because jobs don't want the office to get in trouble for paying everyone different rates. 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

Thats because women tend to go for jobs that pay less, and men currently dominate in the tech heavy fields. Also I think Jobs pay employees differently based on percieved worth or simply what you ask for in an interview. I worked at three different jobs and we later found out I made more than everyone in the office. But I also did name my own salary and the interviewer usually accepted. They say not to share your income with your coworkers but that only because jobs don't want the office to get in trouble for paying everyone different rates. 

Yeah, some people say: Just do something with tech! But ironically, it belongs to the same by men dominated fields where the gender pay gap is actually the biggest.

• Like 4

Thats because women tend to go for jobs that pay less, and men currently dominate in the tech heavy fields.

That's true, but that begs the question about what a function (not a job but a function in society) is worth and how we value certain things. I think there is a point to be made about women's jobs being related to the home and that having been done for free, so society and bosses feel they don't have to pay as much if it's done as a job. Elderly care as an example. It's also linked, in my opinion, to the female paradigm - women = silly and frilly; men = strong and powerful. I know engineering greatly benefits society and humanity, but so do other things which are regarded as more 'womanly'. I work in a sector which is completely underestimated by the government and a lot of individuals, yet, there is such a great need for me but it's not paid nearly as much as it should be for the value to society it offers.

Also, your second point, absolutely right, but if no one knows what anyone else earns in a company or organisation then it's very difficult to accurately gauge your worth finanically. Women also have been taught not to cause a fuss so may not be as eager to ask for a certain wage. A colleague of mine is going freelance and she really, really struggles with all that stuff, how much to charge and being assertive enough to see her own value and get this across to anyone paying. She's a strong woman, though, but still struggles. I just got a new job and accepted what they offered as well (which I was very happy with and which is a lot more than I've been paid so far). I probably could have got a higher wage if I had pushed for it, but didn't... why?

On the ridiculous end of things (why do they earn that much?) is the debate there was in the UK about pay for the One Schow's presenters: https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/02/alex-jones-reveals-bbc-put-right-50k-pay-gap-co-presenter-matt-baker-7435396/

The BBC only corrected this after being shown up in the media (ironically) and after the two presenters found out about each other's pay. I bet £50000 doesn't make a jot of difference to either of them though! 😄

• Like 3
On 3/13/2021 at 11:02 AM, Still said:

Gendered shower gel is kind of pointless except for the fact that the "for men" versions smell terrible

Heh, too true. 

I made the mistake and bought men's shower gel once, and literally dunked it down my drain. 

It smelled like a blend of leather, pine cone and car freshener. The "Ice" one with the black Christmas tree. 

All I could think of, is Tim the Tool man Taylor from Home Improvement grunting in approval at it. 

All my products are geared at women, yet smell amazing and factor in that skin can be sensitive. 

The fact some have to have a woman's silhouette to the bottle, even though many of their scents are gender neutral, boggles the mind. 

Heck, some of my colognes could pass as unisex. 

Fresh and subtle, isn't a gendered scent o_O

6 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

The fact some have to have a woman's silhouette to the bottle, even though many of their scents are gender neutral, boggles the mind. 

It's to make sure that women don't buy the wrong kind. 😁

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Acing It said:

It's to make sure that women don't buy the wrong kind. 😁

Whats wrong with a massive bottle with sharp edges, and an equally sharp smell inside?

Hypoallergenic is for women! The burn on my skin confirms my manhood.

I am surprised they don't do men shower gels in bottles shaped like dumbells.

Or 3 inch diameter caps that seal super tight, so only a man can open it, a la Thor with his hammer.

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

"Man bun" is one of my most hated. It's a bun. Period.

I’ve done so many ballet buns with my long hair that I tried doing a more masc style bun and I honestly didn't know how to do it haha. 

But yeah, it’s just a messy bun anyone can wear. What’s wrong with the word messy? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

Even within the same jobs we have evidence of a current pay gap (or lack of willingness to promote women) in different fields. I do think there’s stereotypes for said fields, but I think that and being the only woman in a class full of men (in a time where women are more likely to be taught to protect themselves than a man to not harm women) can be stressful from constantly being talked down to, supposedly “only there because your pretty/filling a quota”, ignored altogether, and more making it harder for them to succeed through the pressure. (And once you’ve gone through all of that at an education level, you have to face a similar situation at the place you work where you are one of few people of your gender and will be written off as less smart, less capable, and less worthy due to how people see women as more fragile). 

Heck, I’m not a woman nor am I in those fields and yet I’ve faced many of these being afab. I do my best to counteract them but it means I have to get a chance first and that I’m trying to singlehandedly express to someone that stereotypes they’ve believed for years aren’t the best understanding of how human beings work. 

• Like 3
Anthracite_Impreza

When I was still in the closet my colleague was told directly, while I was standing right next to him but as though I wasn't there, by a guy in a fabricators, that 'girls never last in mechanics' and I'd 'be gone within a year'. I was, but it was nothing to do with the fact I was born with ovaries, it was related to disability.

I mean jesus christ are they surprised actual women don't last when they get so much denigration just for existing in a certain environment? The fact I only just remembered this just shows how much shit I did get working there and other 'man' places. I was once also told 'if you were male we'd have thrown you in the river, but the PC brigade would come after us for throwing a girl in'. And you know, this guy was a member of a racist organisation, illegally chopped puppies' tails off and found it funny, and kept a machete in his toolbox so did I believe him? Yes I fucking did. Honest to gods, I'm glad I got out of that place pre-transitioning, cos I honestly would've feared for my life.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Quilly said:

Even within the same jobs we have evidence of a current pay gap (or lack of willingness to promote women) in different fields. I do think there’s stereotypes for said fields, but I think that and being the only woman in a class full of men (in a time where women are more likely to be taught to protect themselves than a man to not harm women) can be stressful from constantly being talked down to, supposedly “only there because your pretty/filling a quota”, ignored altogether, and more making it harder for them to succeed through the pressure. (And once you’ve gone through all of that at an education level, you have to face a similar situation at the place you work where you are one of few people of your gender and will be written off as less smart, less capable, and less worthy due to how people see women as more fragile). 

Heck, I’m not a woman nor am I in those fields and yet I’ve faced many of these being afab. I do my best to counteract them but it means I have to get a chance first and that I’m trying to singlehandedly express to someone that stereotypes they’ve believed for years aren’t the best understanding of how human beings work. 

The studys have in fact shown that the difference in fields is why there is such a gap. What I said is true as well.  I personally have seen the opposite in fields I worked at where some of the women were paid more. Though I can say it is also hard for women to enter fields that women are "Not suppose to be in" as defined by the stereotypes. Since they tend to get a lot of harassment Which I watched in person when watching a woman enter and later quit because constant sexist harassment for not doing what is defined as "Womans work". This was back when I did wildland firefighting. Realistically could have just gotten the coworkers fired but of course no one likes to complain about this stuff. The all women automatically get paid less has been debunked already but company's do seem to pay different people different wages. Which I think has a lot of factors, not just "Man/woman". On occasion everyone get paid different based on taxes also. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

"Man bun" is one of my most hated. It's a bun. Period. 

"Manspreading" all I see is a jacka** taking up space on a bus. 

No no no, manbun is a Type of bun. A correct bun is a swirl like princess Laya from Star wars. That is how you correctly do a bun! What people refer to often as a manbun is a folded ponytail. That is not a true bun. That is someone who does not know how to do hair correctly or too lazy to do a proper bun. That is not a BUN though. They call it a bun because it looks like a cinnamon bun. Not a folded ponytail. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Whats wrong with a massive bottle with sharp edges, and an equally sharp smell inside?

Hypoallergenic is for women! The burn on my skin confirms my manhood.

I am surprised they don't do men shower gels in bottles shaped like dumbells.

Or 3 inch diameter caps that seal super tight, so only a man can open it, a la Thor with his hammer.

Also why does so much of mens soap smell like spice? Does manliness equal a spice rack? Also the clearly excessive amount of alcohol in mens perfumes. 

• Like 3

Also why does so much of mens soap smell like spice?

I had this debate with a perfume salesperson at a Shoppers Drug Mart. 

She aggressively kept pushing overly spicy scents my way:

"I don't like spicy or too strong. I like subtle"

Then she tried to emasculate me due to it. To her, strong scent = strong man.

I dated a couple girls who thought this way. They would wear perfume that made your eyes water, as it was so spicy.

I basically hate Angel by Thierry Mugler, due one of those women, with a passion.

Same goes with Joop for men. Decent scents, but everyone I knew would almost swim in it. 

3 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

The all women automatically get paid less has been debunked already but company's do seem to pay different people different wages. Which I think has a lot of factors, not just "Man/woman". On occasion everyone get paid different based on taxes also. 

I’ve honestly only ever seen studies that say the opposite… would you happen to have any links to the studies? 

(also this idea ties into the Lori Ledbetter Supreme Court case which I think adds another layer to it… idk if you know it or are interested in looking it up but just throwing it out there) 

• Like 1