What is the worst case of 'pointlessly gendered' that you have seen?

Purple Red Panda
1 hour ago, Quilly said:

I totally forgot about pink camouflage for women- the entire concept of camouflage is that it is the colors of the surrounding wildlife to increase blending into the surroundings and benefiting things like hunting. Changing the color and shape of the garment for another gender defeats the purpose of it. 

I used to have some really cool dyed purple camo trousers back in the 90s.

• Like 3
Purple Red Panda

Long before I became aware that I'm agender I stopped using male deoderants, shampoos etc and switched to female or gender neutral ones because I disliked how they were marketed. Lynx was a prime offender with it's use this and hordes of nubile young women will want to fuck you adverts.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Purple Red Panda said:

Long before I became aware that I'm agender I stopped using male deoderants, shampoos etc and switched to female or gender neutral ones because I disliked how they were marketed. Lynx was a prime offender with it's use this and hordes of nubile young women will want to fuck you adverts.

Is it axe deodorant? They made 'chocolate flavour'-ads at TV.

I've always hated axe because of all the 'stinking wars' between the girls and boys in my class. They'd attack each other with their deos and perfumes. And this. This ad. It just gave me the rest...

• Like 4
Aelin Galathynius

I don't know if this is pointlessly gendered or not, but the difference in bike seats. A 'girly' bike will usually have a soft cushy seat, but a 'unisex' or 'manly' bike will have a smaller, harder seat. Are they designed to suit the different body types of males and females? Or are bike companies just assuming that girls are soft and need a cushion to rest their dainty little bottom on?

• Like 4
Purple Red Panda
1 minute ago, Phalena said:

Is it axe deodorant?

Yep, same brand different name.

• Like 2
Just now, Aelin Galathynius said:

I don't know if this is pointlessly gendered or not, but the difference in bike seats. A 'girly' bike will usually have a soft cushy seat, but a 'unisex' or 'manly' bike will have a smaller, harder seat. Are they designed to suit the different body types of males and females? Or are bike companies just assuming that girls are soft and need a cushion to rest their dainty little bottom on?

As far as I'm aware good saddles are designed to be as comfortable as possible for the different hip-types women and men have as well as made in a way that they don't cause pain in the private regions as quickly.

• Like 2
Anthracite_Impreza
27 minutes ago, Acing It said:

I'll bring out the 'bic for her' again, with its hilarious comments and questions on the amazon UK website 😆

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BiC-Her-Ball-Pen-Black/dp/B004FTF6H4?th=1

The comments are a thing of pure joy.

The most manly scent is the smell of oil, grease, steam and diesel, fight me.

• Like 4
Just now, Anthracite_Impreza said:

The comments are a thing of pure joy.

The most manly scent is the smell of oil, grease, steam and diesel, fight me.

The most manly smell is vanilla. Because apparently many women love the scent of it. This will be men's ultimate weapon!

• Like 3
Blue eyes white dragon

Pretty much everything imo

• Like 2
Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, Phalena said:

The most manly smell is vanilla. Because apparently many women love the scent of it. This will be men's ultimate weapon!

Not if you're gay ;)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Not if you're gay ;)

Ah, dammit. You outsmarted me. But wait,... Vanilla might be MY ultimate weapon to get a girlfriend!

• Like 5
Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, Phalena said:

Ah, dammit. You outsmarted me. But wait,... Vanilla might be MY ultimate weapon to get a girlfriend!

The Gay Agenda is real and it's coming for your deodorant.

• Like 8

A big one that's shown up in my life is long hair. My hair is long and I instantly get perceived more feminine (which gets very annoying very quickly for me). And I've had multiple instances where I've mentioned to people that I've thought every now and again about shaving all of it off and people are so adamant to say no to that. Firstly, I really don't see why it makes a difference if I don't have long, "feminine" hair. Secondly, these comments tend to come from people I don't know all that well and most of them have been from men decades older than me, who probably shouldn't have any reason to have a say in my life. 

• Like 3
Just now, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Sssssssshhhhhhhh! Don't say that too loud! We need that sneak-attack for the damage bonus!

• Like 4
Just now, Quilly said:

A big one that's shown up in my life is long hair. My hair is long and I instantly get perceived more feminine (which gets very annoying very quickly for me). And I've had multiple instances where I've mentioned to people that I've thought every now and again about shaving all of it off and people are so adamant to say no to that. Firstly, I really don't see why it makes a difference if I don't have long, "feminine" hair. Secondly, these comments tend to come from people I don't know all that well and most of them have been from men decades older than me, who probably shouldn't have any reason to have a say in my life. 

Oof, that reminds me of that article where a super-conservative™ explained how women with short hair are 'mentally ill' as well as 'masculine' and why 'good men need to avoid them at all costs'. Urgh...

• Like 3
Just now, Phalena said:

Sssssssshhhhhhhh! Don't say that too loud! We need that sneak-attack for the damage bonus!

I'll keep this in mind *shifty eyes* 

2 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

*sniffs deodorant* are you... passionate about rainbows? 

• Like 4
Anthracite_Impreza
Just now, Quilly said:

*sniffs deodorant* are you... passionate about rainbows? 

My carsona is so gay he has a certificate for it. It's rainbow coloured. It exists irl.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sakura jelli said:

cable connectors, why are there female and male components for cable connectors. cable connectors don't need genders. 

This reminds me of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Program, the first joint space mission by the US and the USSR, where they had to design an "androgynous docking system" because "no one wanted their spacecraft to be a “female"". 😅 🤦‍♂️

• Like 8
Captain Jay

In one particularly odd example, I once bought a pack of women's earplugs and didn't even notice until I was looking at the box weeks later. Perhaps they're supposed to be smaller or something, but they didn't look any different to me besides being purple... and they come in all kinds of colors anyway.

(I was midway through typing this and forgot about the thread for a couple of hours, apparently long enough for it to balloon to over 50 replies. Sheesh.)

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Quilly said:

I totally forgot about pink camouflage for women

Supposedly it's just as visible to humans as blaze orange (which deer see as gray), but I've heard that some colorblind people don't see it that well. And the reasoning that someone would pick up a new hobby because they get to wear pink now is so stupid.

• Like 4

Okay no one's mentioned that one soap ad on Youtube with "You're not a dish you're a man!" (I won't link it here because I despise it)

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Sam Spade said:

Okay no one's mentioned that one soap ad on Youtube with "You're not a dish you're a man!" (I won't link it here because I despise it)

I looked it up. I hate it now. I don't blame you though, I chose my terrible fate myself.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Phalena said:

Is it axe deodorant? They made 'chocolate flavour'-ads at TV.

I've always hated axe because of all the 'stinking wars' between the girls and boys in my class. They'd attack each other with their deos and perfumes. And this. This ad. It just gave me the rest...

Jesus Christ, that is terrifying! How is that an advertisement at all? I honestly imagine this is going to show up in my nightmares.

Seriously horrifying! I don't get it, at all!

• Like 4
Purple Red Panda
35 minutes ago, rebis said:

Seriously horrifying!

If I was made of chocolate I think the last thing I'd want would be to have random strangers on the bus take a bite out of my arse.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Sam Spade said:

I know the ad/s (I think there are a few on that line). I hate every time it comes up and I have to wait a few seconds to "skip" it. :mad:

My mother (who is soon to be 85 years old) used to play electric bass in a "garage band". I'm not at all musical, but because of her I never had any notions about genders and instruments.

Other pointlessly gendered things: colors, nail polish, different smells, hobbies, vocations and careers; the list goes on and on.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Purple Red Panda said:

Lynx was a prime offender with it's use this and hordes of nubile young women will want to fuck you adverts.

Does Axe/Lynx still run those kinds of ads? I always found them gross because of the implication that women are mindless beings attracted by the smell of deodorant. Of course, the most unrealistic part of them was anyone being attracted to the smell of Axe.

• Like 3
Just now, Still said:

Does Axe/Lynx still run those kinds of ads? I always found them gross because of the implication that women are mindless beings attracted by the smell of deodorant. Of course, the most unrealistic part of them was anyone being attracted to the smell of Axe.

Not sure. Around here they've beomce wonderfully quiet. However, we're now bombarded with ads for 'medication' that you can buy in drugstores without seing a doctor first.

• Like 2