Is the situation about the Coronavirus worrying?

communityabed

Unleash the Echidnas

Apropos of the question in the thread title.

I'm not sure I understand those graphics and accompanying text. Are they saying the so-called UK variant is becoming dominant in Europe (or the depicted countries)?

Forest Spirit
12 hours ago, daveb said:

I'm not sure I understand those graphics and accompanying text. Are they saying the so-called UK variant is becoming dominant in Europe (or the depicted countries)?

As far as I understand, yes

Edit:

Orange is the South African variant (20H/501Y.V2)

The dark orange one is the UK variant (20I/501Y.V1) - this is the one that as far as I can tell is getting dominant

Red is the Brazilian variant (20J/501Y.V3)

I feel it's not that easy to differentiate on this graph, the first one on the website linked makes it clearer as you can hover over the names and it highlights them in the graph

Unleash the Echidnas

Looks like a steady CAD 250+k/year so long as each of the course instructors keep on lying.

Marketplace attended a COVID-19 conspiracy boot camp to see how instructors are targeting vaccine skeptics

Organizers of the course attended by CBC journalists said that 400 people had signed up, which at $623 per student, adds up to almost $250,000 in course fees. The course was the eighth of its kind since 2017, with the preceding ones focused on anti-vaccination [dis]information while the recent session was COVID-19-specific. It included participants from Canada, Europe, India, the Philippines and, according to Tenpenny, 18 physicians from South Africa.

Tenpenny also has other ways of making money from her students, selling additional courses and even getting a referral commission from a private lab that gives her $10 for every $100 spent on vitamin-deficiency tests, a fact she mentions in one of her seminars.

I'm not worried about never getting it. They are making more doses. My only real worry is about when I will be able to get one. Current expectation where I live is everyone 16 years and older will be eligible May 1st, but I worry that that will be a large portion of the population and could very well lead to bottlenecks that delay appointments for weeks. All I can do is wait and see. Worrying won't change anything.

23 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

Is anyone else worried about never being able to get the vaccine? Will there really be enough doses for everyone?

Hi. Do you mean this? Biden to Order 100 Million More J&J Covid Vaccine Doses, Boosting U.S. Stockpile - Bloomberg

The U.S. has continued making extra orders of vaccines, enough for more than the population.

I was a bit worried, at first, about being scheduled in the last group for the vaccines, but reading articles like that one, which showed how many doses the U.S. was ordering, helped me.

• 2 weeks later...
nanogretchen4

What a jerk. Hopefully they will hold the shoplifter without bail until they are sure he's not contagious, then give him the maximum penalty for shoplifting.

Great. Vaccination program cancelled. Apparently it's unacceptable for a medicine to have an extremely rare side effect. Stupid media making a big deal out of it. There is no such thing as a 100% risk free strategy. The fuss they're making is costing lives, not just corona victims.

Forest Spirit

Don't know about "never", but being 25 and not having any serious conditions (that I know of) I feel it's going to be late... they're still at 70+

(which also means I hope that I can still emigrate without being vaccinated aka when cases are finally down, borders open-ish ecc.)

I sincerely regret my initial take in January or so of not worrying too much. I expected way too much out of the government and society, and I really shouldn't have.

I think it is too early for things to be opening up again. I go out now and half the people are unmasked and close. They're told "it's over" and rush back out.

Gentle Giant

Now it’s Jim Jordan undermining and antagonizing Dr. Fauci in a covid meeting. Dr. Fauci was angry in his response to him. Jordan kept pestering him. Finally Maxine Waters told Jordan to shut his mouth. Good for her and Fauci for standing up to the jerk.

The vaccine production has slowed down in the world's largest covid vaccine production hub - India, due to the refusal by US  to lift the ban on vaccine raw material export to them - Coz America First and F$ck the rest. I'm not sure what will the rest of the countries in the world do now where the doses are nearly diminishing in number.

Unleash the Echidnas

The United States also has 64M doses in inventory as I'm typing this and production that's perhaps 1M doses/day greater than domestic demand. So far, I know the Biden administration's helped to meet worldwide vaccine need by. um, planning to eventually transfer 4M doses to Canada and Mexico and give COVAX some money. I'm impressed, just not in a good way.

DemonicEnby
On 3/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, Ortac said:

The high level of vaccine hesitancy and skepticism within the general population of some countries is concerning. The situation is certainly not helped by idiot politicians who don't think before opening their mouths and saying stupid things which are inaccurate or completely false. If too many people just point blank refuse to be vaccinated, it is difficult to imagine how we are ever going to get out of this situation; we'll be perpetually into and out of lockdowns with no end in sight.

Many of the people I know aren't really hesitant, but many remember the scandal around the medication "Contergan" (Thalidomid as an active pharmaceutical compound) very well which does not help much.

That the vaccines themselves were fast-tracked in being assessed and authorised is another factor that makes many skeptical in itself if they compare it to the years that vaccination for the flu needed. 

Many tend to forget the technological progress that was made in decades back that would explain why it is possible so fast. 

Unleash the Echidnas
On 4/24/2021 at 5:38 AM, DemonicSister said:

Many tend to forget the technological progress that was made in decades back that would explain why it is possible so fast. 

Yep. There's also usually years spent getting vaccine development funding, doing stage 1 trials to see if more funding makes sense, getting more funding, going to stage 2 trials to see about getting stage 3 funding, doing the stage 3, getting approval from vaccine regulators, and then starting production. With COVID, development and stage 3 funding was and is readily available worldwide and regulatory decisions were and are prioritized rather than competing with regulators' other work.

The part that seemed most risky to me was governments' decisions to start large-scale vaccine production prior to regulatory approval as that creates an internal conflict of interest. Seems to have gone mostly fine, though I suspect issues will get dug up, maybe first around the Party's push of Sinovax. For the vaccines available in the United States it's not in major corporate manufacturers' interest to proceed with anything sketchy since they'd get hammered with lawsuits.

I am worried that we wont reach heard immunity because enough people will refuse vaccines. I cannot wait for my vaccine.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:38 AM, DemonicSister said:

Exactly.  This is not the 1940s-1950s.  

We have now reached the situation in the US where large vaccination clinics are closing because of lack of people wanting vaccines  -- we've to some extent gone through the people anxious to be vaccinated, even though not even half the population has been vaccinated.  This is really frightening.  We need at least 60-70% vaccination rate to be anywhere near herd immunity.  Meanwhile, states are opening up  much too soon (some of the Republican areas never really closed down).  

People (American/EU leadership especially) also don't seem to comprehend the "global" part of "global pandemic"... I can't wait for variant strains from other countries to travel back.

On 4/24/2021 at 1:50 AM, Elfe said:

The vaccine production has slowed down in the world's largest covid vaccine production hub - India, due to the refusal by US  to lift the ban on vaccine raw material export to them - Coz America First and F$ck the rest. I'm not sure what will the rest of the countries in the world do now where the doses are nearly diminishing in number.

Biden finally relented to pressure (from both groups protesting and because Russia began selling their vaccine to India) and is shipping some supplies, as are many EU countries, but they aren't opening up production entirely, and they aren't shipping to countries outside of India (and Indian production is where African vaccines were being made).

He's still following an America First model, not only with vaccines, but with many things.

Well, with vaccines, it is more Pharmaceutical Companies First.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:28 AM, Unleash the Echidnas said:

The United States also has 64M doses in inventory as I'm typing this and production that's perhaps 1M doses/day greater than domestic demand. So far, I know the Biden administration's helped to meet worldwide vaccine need by. um, planning to eventually transfer 4M doses to Canada and Mexico and give COVAX some money. I'm impressed, just not in a good way.

There is a worldwide demand for *billions* of vaccines, and the government is stingy with 60 million.

29 minutes ago, Sally said:

We have now reached the situation in the US where large vaccination clinics are closing because of lack of people wanting vaccines  -- we've to some extent gone through the people anxious to be vaccinated, even though not even half the population has been vaccinated.  This is really frightening.  We need at least 60-70% vaccination rate to be anywhere near herd immunity.  Meanwhile, states are opening up  much too soon (some of the Republican areas never really closed down).  

This is what concerns me.

Tabula Rasa

Have any of you been around unmasked people by happenstance, like in public places, and somehow you were not exposed? Even though I've had both vaccine doses, my second dose has a couple weeks to take effect, and today an unmasked handyman walked into the house and said hi to me. We were at least eight feet apart, and I was in his presence for less than two minutes. I'm still freaking out.

nanogretchen4

I understand why you would be nervous, but you probably were not exposed. The worker probably was not infected and contagious on that particular day. Your odds are pretty good if you only have to worry about the Covid status of one person who is not showing obvious symptoms. Even if he were contagious, you most likely would not have been exposed considering the distance and the short time you talked with him. And even if you were exposed, which is unlikely, there is a good chance the first vaccine has already increased your resistance. 

Gentle Giant

There have been no arrests or fines for people not wearing masks, yet people continue to complain about their rights/liberties being taken away from them. They’ve basically had their way and been doing whatever they want without a mask anyway. Now they fight the vaccines from listening to stupid conspiracy theories such as Bill Gates is using the vaccines to put chips in people or they see videos of people having the shakes after the vaccine and who knows what else misinformation and lies put out there. I don’t know what will ever change their minds about this. They want to open up and get back to normal, well if they would just follow the CDC guidelines that is what would get us there. But noooo they don’t want to do that, they’re such big babies.

Maybe some good news for people who have needle phobias; researchers are working on oral vaccines for covid. It may be some time before such vaccines are available for use though, but it could be a good step forward.

As someone with a major phobia of needles this is good news! That being said as much as I dislike needles I will get my vaccine. 

nanogretchen4

They must have used extremely thin needles. The actual injections were among the least painful I have ever had. However, by the next morning the injected arm became very sore, and the muscle pain lasted for two days. I had no other symptoms with the first shot. With the second shot I was tired and I felt like I was running a low grade fever for a few hours on the second day, so I took a nap.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:50 PM, communityabed said:

Just the title. Searching for answers as to whether there's a real cause for panic.

461 days later....think we have our answer now? 

Archived