Is the situation about the Coronavirus worrying?

communityabed

On 11/23/2020 at 9:48 AM, gisiebob said:

what are you looking to say with this quotation?

I'm not looking to say anything; I just found it interesting and something I haven't heard recently. I don't see anything wrong with sharing one of the more unbiased data source (that I'm aware of for the US currently) and their most current published numbers on fatality rates as another accredited source for people to use while evaluating the corona virus situation; I like data as close to the original sources as possible when I evaluate things and just wanted to share for anyone else who prefers more academic sources over more traditional report/news articles.

That's the nice thing about data presented in the manner on that page. It's not a news article in the traditional sense, and it's not something I have to say anything about; it lets people look at it, the methodology listed, and the footnotes; evaluate how thoroughly it was done, whether bias is shown in the methodology or analysis, if the sample populations mentioned are skewed etc. and determine for themselves what it means and how they would interpret it instead of someone telling them what it means. And then people can explore other sections that they find of interest as well.

3 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

I'm not looking to say anything; I just found it interesting and something I haven't heard recently. I don't see anything wrong with sharing one of the more unbiased data source (that I'm aware of for the US currently) and their most current published numbers on fatality rates as another accredited source for people to use while evaluating the corona virus situation; I like data as close to the original sources as possible when I evaluate things and just wanted to share for anyone else who prefers more academic sources over more traditional report/news articles.

That's the nice thing about data presented in the manner on that page. It's not a news article in the traditional sense, and it's not something I have to say anything about; it lets people look at it, the methodology listed, and the footnotes; evaluate how thoroughly it was done, whether bias is shown in the methodology or analysis, if the sample populations mentioned are skewed etc. and determine for themselves what it means and how they would interpret it instead of someone telling them what it means. And then people can explore other sections that they find of interest as well.

if you find something interesting and desire to share it with others then you are looking to say something. if folks were trading tabloid stories about batboy calculating the real death toll, well yes you would be sayin something along the lines of what you are going on about. but you are just putting out some unsolicited numbers as if they mean something on their own, as if in isolation they are interesting to you and without context you wanted to share them. here is a map of the countries that have quarantine restrictions from norway: https://www.fhi.no/en/op/novel-coronavirus-facts-advice/facts-and-general-advice/travel-advice-COVID19/. it seems you really wanted to say something, but now, curiously want to not beholden to have wanted to say anything at all...

@Moonman, from what I've been reading, Republican states are, in general, not implementing as severe restrictions as Democrat states. So party politics is interfering with the nation's health. It's unlike Britain, where the individual countries can all impose their own rules, but are near-enough implementing the same rules

That's not to say that we haven't had individual local authorities holding a bidding war with the government before accepting tighter restrictions 

25 minutes ago, Moonman said:

I just get this impression that our government has its priorities in a different order. We are health before money, let's lock down to protect the NHS. It seems the US government has that vice versa, let's stay open to protect the NASDAQ. I wonder whether public healthcare would have made a difference to the response in the States on an administrative level.

Some of the states do have some public healthcare, although not on the level of the UK or Canada.  Massachusetts is one of them, California is another.   The Covid outcome is a mixed bag if you just look at the number of uninsured people in any one state.   Honestly, I don't have any specific numbers to back up this statement.  Some private healthcare companies and doctors are getting rich of Covid, while others are going under.  I read a story about doctors charging up to $2,000 for a Covid test , billing it to the insurance company, and then charging the patient for what the insurance would not cover.  In states with better healthcare, Covid tests are free.  I have good health insurance, but I am very reluctant to seek out healthcare for anything that is not completely necessary.  "Surprise billing" is a big thing here - the insurance company will find things they will not cover, then  the medical provider will bill you later after the services have been performed.  If I were to get symptoms of Covid, I would not get tested, rather, I would self-isolate and hope for the best, seeking care only if I was dying.

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

from what I've been reading, Republican states are, in general, not implementing as severe restrictions as Democrat states. So party politics is interfering with the nation's health.

This is true.  Covid restrictions are tighter in nearly all states with Democratic governors.  Same is true for cities and counties with Democratic leadership.  There are a couple of problems with this approach:

1) the courts and legislatures in many of these states have been packed with conservatives, who overturn the governors orders (i,e, Wisconsin and Michigan)  The US Supreme court just reversed Covid restrictions imposed on religious groups in New York.

2) The country is politically divided, and there are Republicans within every community who resist public health orders, which are not really enforced.   Republicans are more likely to resist mask wearing and shutdowns.  The level of enforcement differs by state and by county (many county sherriffs have refused to enforce the orders) in addition to differing levels of restrictions.  The problem is that people move about freely between jurisdictions.  It's like having a designated peeing section in a public swimming pool.

Americans have resisted paying their fair share of taxes for many decades, since the 1980's.  Even though, these taxes fund necessary programs and services that are essential for society to properly function.  We have denied global warming and climate change for 25 years, allowing one's beliefs and "alternative facts"  to guide their opinions and actions, rather than universally accepted facts.  That's what got us here, into Covid Hell.

Siimo van der fietspad

Thought experiment: what, as a political leader, would you do if there was a majority in your jurisdiction who were either militantly against 'rona restrictions or at least were able to ignore them with impunity because there aren't enough police to enforce them?  You want to impose them but know this would lose you and your party the next election, and in the meantime the majority of the media have seen which way the wind is blowing and turned against you. You also have to deal with increasing tensions between them and those who are pro- virus control.

nanogretchen4

In this thought experiment, am I a decent person, or am I an amoral narcissist?

If I'm a decent person, then I would put human lives above my political career and find a new job if need be. I would go ahead and impose the restrictions because the majority of citizens are law abiding and will comply with the restrictions, which will significantly reduce fatalities. 

On 11/26/2020 at 5:28 PM, Siimo van der fietspad said:

Thought experiment: what, as a political leader, would you do if there was a majority in your jurisdiction who were either militantly against 'rona restrictions or at least were able to ignore them with impunity because there aren't enough police to enforce them?  You want to impose them but know this would lose you and your party the next election, and in the meantime the majority of the media have seen which way the wind is blowing and turned against you. You also have to deal with increasing tensions between them and those who are pro- virus control.

To reinforce nanogretchen's point, the point of having elected leaders is for them to lead. The idea that every individual person should be expected to analyze the pros and cons of complicated public health measures on top of their already stressful and busy lives is absurd. Sometimes, unpopular decisions are required, and if the action is both urgent and in the best interests of the people AND you've been elected to act in those people's interests, your duty is clear.

If it costs the next election, then it does, but there's nothing saying you can't provide justification for your actions to the electorate. Make your case. If people don't agree and want to vote against their own self interest, that's what they'll do, but it doesn't change your responsibilities as a leader.

I will also note that this kind of thing doesn't occur in a vacuum - it's not like people are organically looking at the death toll from the pandemic and saying, "you know what, I really hate it when we take action to prevent more deaths". There's been heavy messaging from prominent political figures that directly accuses public health measures as unnecessary and/or part of a conspiracy to undermine the current federal administration. If that's the message coming from on high, and our local leaders abdicate responsibility for educating their communities and taking action, how will things improve?

We hold elections for public offices, but public office holders' jobs are not to win elections.

Unleash the Echidnas

From time to time in this thread, surprise and curiosity have been expressed over case rates in the United States. So I thought it might be useful to mention today's events in Florida. For those who aren't aware, Rebekah Jones is a former data scientist for the state of Florida who was fired some months ago in retaliation for declining to falsify test positivity rates to produce politically desired optics. Since then, she's supported accurate data provision through Florida COVID Action.

Details of today's police raid on Rebekah's house are a bit unclear at the moment but, sifting through the news coverage, it appears likely to me the Florida Department of Health used some pretty skinny evidence to secure a warrant in an effort to backtrack data leaks from within the Department. Because implementing a police state is preferable to fulfilling the Department's obligations towards public health, I guess.

7 minutes ago, Unleash the Echidnas said:

From time to time in this thread, surprise and curiosity have been expressed over case rates in the United States. So I thought it might be useful to mention today's events in Florida. For those who aren't aware, Rebekah Jones is a former data scientist for the state of Florida who was fired some months ago in retaliation for declining to falsify the test positivity rates to produce politically desired optics. Since then, she's supported accurate data provision through Florida COVID Action.

Details of today's police raid on Rebekah's house are a bit unclear at the moment but, sifting through the news coverage, it appears likely to me the Florida Department of Health used some pretty skinny evidence to secure a warrant in an effort to backtrack data leaks from within the Department. Because implementing a police state is preferable to fulfilling the Department's obligations towards public health, I guess.

that's just shocking. Maybe I shouldn't be shocked by what is happening in the US, but I am.

1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

that's just shocking. Maybe I shouldn't be shocked by what is happening in the US, but I am.

I think we all should be, but I know some people won't and instead will support it in some way. :( 

Calligraphette_Coe
On 11/26/2020 at 5:28 PM, Siimo van der fietspad said:

I'd try to come with some sort of legislation that allowed the government to declare a sort of eminent domain and /or conscientious objector status with alternate ways the anit-maksers could express their defiance while not being able to flout the regulation, because government's first and foremost duty to its citizens is public safety. That should pass constitutional muster because during wars, the government can draft people and concientious objectors don't get a free pass because they have to serve in some other capacity. Why would this emergency be any different.  I'd also pass a statute that would allow establisments to  help enforcement by allowing them to take their pictures if they violate the terms of their C.O. and have them sent fines in the mail if they don't follow them.

Then I'd run public service ads at government expense driving home the point that it doesn't go against their 'freedom' to deny admittance to anti-maskers, It's already legal to enfocrce No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service, why not add "No Mask" to that. 

I guess if you really wanted to be draconian, you could use the pictures/fines mentioned above as a basis to not allow them to declare bankruptcy for their medical bills when they get COVID. That's probably unconstitutional, but I guess if you wanted to play hardball, by  the time it's lititgated, the crisis might luckily have passed. You already can't discharge some things like student loans or taxes through bankruptcy , so maybe it would be constitutional.

There's always the free market, too. I started to boycott stores who won't crack down on people who won't wear masks in their establishments. If enough people said "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Mask, No Patronage", the free market might come up with its own remedies.

I don't how many times it has to be said: COVID doesn't care about your constitutional rights, it just wants you to be a host. It's like Alien vs Predator with YOU in the middle.

13 hours ago, Unleash the Echidnas said:

From time to time in this thread, surprise and curiosity have been expressed over case rates in the United States. So I thought it might be useful to mention today's events in Florida. For those who aren't aware, Rebekah Jones is a former data scientist for the state of Florida who was fired some months ago in retaliation for declining to falsify test positivity rates to produce politically desired optics. Since then, she's supported accurate data provision through Florida COVID Action.

Pretty frightening stuff - the video she has includes officers entering her home with guns drawn, which seems wildly out of proportion to the situation: this is a data scientist, not a drug dealer. I guess I don't know the average danger to police officers presented by R programmers or whatever, but I'm guessing 'low'.

Reports seem to indicate that Florida Department of Health noticed an unauthorized use of an emergency messaging app, that was traced to Jones's IP address, and thus they got the warrant presumably to seize the computer for records relating to the unauthorized use (probably to get the names of anyone she may have had communication with at DOH after she was fired, I guess).

Regardless of whether you think this particular kind of activity requires police officers to seize private property in general, the specifics of the situation do NOT merit entrance to a private citizen's home with guns drawn, especially since she has kids. Honestly, this is gross.

• 2 weeks later...
Unleash the Echidnas

Op-ed from Rebekah Jones yesterday.

‘Don’t be silenced by armed police raid at my Florida home, COVID whistleblowers. I won’t be’

As I sat in my living room watching police go through my entire house and walk out with thousands of dollars worth of equipment — paid for entirely by donations to my GoFundMe — I started mentally preparing for what I knew would come next.

First, a smear campaign. Dubious statements from the DeSantis administration claiming he had no idea what was going on. An unhinged press conference attacking my character and mental health (at a forum on getting rid of stigmas about mental health, no less).

Attacking scientists and whistleblowers is as American as apple pie. Any arguments to the contrary are naive and contrite.

And UK investigative reporting from the New York Times.

Waste, Negligence and Cronyism: Inside Britain’s Pandemic Spending

Taken together, about half of that $22 billion went to companies with political connections, no prior experience or histories of controversy.

About $5 billion went to politically connected companies. Some had former ministers and government advisers on staff. Others donated to the Conservative Party.

Epbf0ZOWMAA7FwW?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Around $6 billion went to companies that had no prior experience in supplying medical personal protective equipment. Fashion designers, pest controllers and jewelers won lucrative contracts.

More than $5 billion was awarded to companies with histories of controversy, from tax evasion and fraud to corruption and human rights abuses.

But that’s only half the story. It is impossible to know how much the government has spent on Covid-19 procurement.

Unleash the Echidnas

Just in case anyone was wondering if the Trump administration might manage to act competently or ethically.

States report confusion as government reduces vaccine shipments, while Pfizer says it has ‘millions’ of unclaimed doses

Another person involved in the planning, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the situation, said Pfizer executives were baffled that the administration was not immediately distributing all of its vaccine, instead leaving much of it on the shelves.

Stanford also continues to be, well, Stanford.

Stanford Apologizes After Vaccine Allocation Leaves Out Nearly All Medical Residents

One neurology resident, who was involved in planning Friday's protest, said that a flawed algorithm is no excuse. She requested anonymity for fear of affecting her future job search.

"[A]lgorithms are made by people and the results ... were reviewed multiple times by people," she wrote in an email to NPR. "The ones who ultimately approved the decisions are responsible. If this is an oversight, even if unintentional, it speaks volumes about how the front line staff and residents are perceived: an afterthought, only after we've protested. There's an utter disconnect between the administrators and the front line workers. This is also reflective that no departmental chair or chief resident was involved in the decision making process."

the great acescape
On 2/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, the great acescape said:

Yes, but also quite frankly if you live in the continental U.S. I'd be far more concerned about our shockingly deadly flu season.

I already made at least one post in the middle of spring mocking just how wildly off base I was with this, but it's extremely depressing just how bad this year has turned out and how little the federal government has actually done to remediate the situation. One $1200 check in the spring followed by a "fuck you, you're own your own". That's not even taking into account just how badly this has affected everyone's emotional and mental health. 

There's another stimulus bill going through congress that would give individuals $600 - half of what was given in the spring - and legislation has been put into the package that would effectively make it impossible for people to sue corporations for any wrongdoing they committed during COVID-19. There's even a ban on federal funding for ACORN, an organization that has been dead for years!!

I have been desperately trying to stave off any cynicism but this year has been testing my patience and I hate it. The lesson I've taken away from 2020 is "things can and will get worse", and that's not conducive to anything good or constructive,

Today's news:

COVID-19 mutated again!

and this

is "highly concerning" because it "is yet more transmissible and it appears to have mutated further than the new variant that was discovered in the U.K."

Pfizer has voiced confidence in its vaccine’s ability to protect against the first variant [...]. It was not immediately clear how the second variant [...] if it would also be susceptible to the vaccine.

In some estimates, the percentage of severe allergic reactions to the COVID-19 vaccine is already higher than to the other vaccines.

Unleash the Echidnas
6 hours ago, Beam Anne said:
Spoiler

Today's news: COVID-19 mutated again! and this

In some estimates, the percentage of severe allergic reactions to the COVID-19 vaccine is already higher than to the other vaccines.

Just dropping in to point out Fox News is an unreliable source (half truths and mostly false, factually mixed and borderline questionable with conspiracy theories) and the last sentence of this post makes a claim that's not supported by the article linked and is factually incorrect if interpreted in a broad sense. Since risk of anaphylaxis varies by vaccine it would be appropriate to state the specific vaccines and rates being compared. I don't see that CDC VAERS has updated for coronavirus queries in the United States but the snapshot I'm finding from three days ago gives a central estimate of an anaphylaxis rate of 22 per million based on n = 272k and I would suggest tables 7 and 8 here as context. It's probably also worth noting anaphylaxis, while scary, lacks the long term risks of COVID infection (long COVID rates are usually in the range of 100,000-200,000 per million depending definitions used*) and has a lower death rate (COVID is 26,397 per million as I'm typing this versus a naïve estimate of about 0.3 per million for COVID vaccine triggered anaphylaxis at the moment). As such, I'd like to encourage use of credible sources, fact checking, and reliance on quantitative estimates rather than vague qualitative claims.

If one's interested in information from folks with in-domain expertise who maintain accuracy as best they can the list below is a good starting point. For the B.1.1.7 variant in the UK I would suggest Angela Rasmussen's Guardian article as a starting point as she's a pretty badass virologist. Emma Hodcroft is my go to for viral genomics since she's the primary postdoc for the worldwide tracking database for SARS-CoV-2 and is quick to give credit to all the collaborators involved.

50 Experts to Trust in a Pandemic (reupping from my previous linking)

Elemental created this list of 50 health and science experts to help you separate truth from misinformation and stay up to date. These experts regularly share science-backed information and insights on the Covid-19 pandemic and/or highlight the forces and structures that influence the virus’s impact. These are also people who are very active on Twitter, and you will gain Covid-19 insights from following them online.

* This post is brought to you by long COVID insomnia.

I've been hearing about people who've taken all precautions, who haven't been anywhere for eight months, and somehow they get Covid. Either they're leaving out info, or Covid is saturating the troposphere. What's going on?

Unleash the Echidnas
2 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

What's going on?

Under the assumption the people in question aren't lying I would suggest quantifying what "all precautions" means relative to current understanding of the virus and their exposure tracking histories. If the people in question are in places with uncontrolled spread, low tracking uptake, and politically created impediments to contact tracing---such as United States---identifying the exposure source may be difficult, however.

This paper is a good recent example of how track and trace can identify non-obvious transmission routes, though, and is quite blunt about concluding fit-tested N95 use is appropriate in many settings where it's not currently feasible due to ongoing supply constraints. It's part of a similar body of shared air work showing things like apartment to apartment transmission via plumbing and infections initiated by entering an empty elevator recently occupied by someone shedding the virus. Last I checked, the best estimates were somewhere around 10% of transmission is fomites. That can also be non-obvious.

Over the several months we've been talking about this, I continue be unaware of any evidence to support whole troposphere saturation. As of September, median estimates of the SARS-CoV-2 half life were a bit over an hour. So half-day persistence of potentially infectious dose in small bits of the troposphere, mainly poorly ventilated and enclosed ones, sure.

Lord Jade Cross
2 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

I've been hearing about people who've taken all precautions, who haven't been anywhere for eight months, and somehow they get Covid. Either they're leaving out info, or Covid is saturating the troposphere. What's going on?

The problem is that the virus is versatile in the way it can spread. Sure you may not go out unless strictly necessary. But you have to go out some time because supplies run low, food runs out etc, and you can come in contact with someone or something that has traces of it. Now most people don't may not have the initiative of cleaning everything they touch or at the very least spray it with alcohol to help lessen the probability of contracting the virus. 

This gets further more complicated if more than one live together because you are basically at the mercy of the other person keeping up the safety protocols and let's be honest most people don't.

My grandmother is complaining half the time and I have to fight with her to put the damn mask on. She could easily infect herself, then me, all for being careless, though I carry a bottle of alcohol everywhere and spray anything I come in contact with, including making her wash her hands constantly.

The other bit of info to take into consideration is that the information being shared is not 100% accurate. Already there are numerous cases of hospitals diagnosing people with covid of claiming that a death was caused by it because 1 it ensures panic and 2 panic pushes for more money to be made. Someone being feared into it will pay for the tests or pay for any meds that are claimed to help prevent the spread even though that's a lie.

The vaccine is no different. People think vaccine = immunity and they are dead wrong. Watch as the cases skyrocket again after this Christmas week and especially among the population that already has gotten the vaccine.

Do people really try to get actual news from Faux?

49 minutes ago, Homer said:

Do people really try to get actual news from Faux?

This news is everywhere.  I just got the earliest. 

I am not into Faux.  I get the information wherever it be coming from.  Just use discernment.

P S    Do not know what is real and what is faux about COVID.  There is a lot of manipulation on it.

Siimo van der fietspad

So, I read some of the anti-lockdown stuff so you don't have to (here 'anti-lockdown' means anti-anything done in response to the virus, not just masks and travel restrictions but also putting in cycle lanes and apparently BLM, basically anything the social right oppose) and the main theories being thrown around, besides proper wingnut conspiracy stuff, are:

- The apparent rise in cases is because the testing (either PCR or lateral flow or both) is highly unreliable and returns a lot of false positives due to using too many cycles, so it picks up tiny fragments of other common cold coronaviruses; and also the tests are being done sloppily because of time pressure and contracts were doled out to cronies.

- The latest spikes are also/alternatively due to sloppy sterilisations in the labs that process the test samples

- People are trying to get tested positive because they can get time off work and a payout if on low income

- Excess deaths are barely higher/the same/lower than average for this year/this time of year, and they can produce graphs which apparently prove this

- People only catch covid in hospitals, when they're in for other things, because the hospitals are sloppy (NB there is a baseline of anti-NHS feeling)

- This is a cover for selling 'us' out on Brexit/election rigging

- The scientists have some dirt on the politicians

Anybody with a bit of spare time feel free to go ahead an debunk these.

On 12/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, Siimo van der fietspad said:

Anybody with a bit of spare time feel free to go ahead an debunk these.

Most range from absurd, to crazy.

However, testing negative is meaningless. Its a false safety net.

You could test negative, and eat from a restaurant where the fork you were supplied was touched with soiled hands. 

So easy to get ill. 

I don't worry about testing. I worry about precautions. If I still get sick, out of my control.

Unleash the Echidnas

One year ago. Give or take a little bit depending on timezone.

Undiagnosed pneumonia - China (HU): RFI

Wuhan unexplained pneumonia has been isolated test results will be announced [as soon as available]
---------------------------
On the evening of [30 Dec 2019], an "urgent notice on the treatment of pneumonia of unknown cause" was issued, which was widely distributed on the Internet by the red-headed document of the Medical Administration and Medical Administration of Wuhan Municipal Health Committee.

On the morning of [31 Dec 2019], China Business News reporter called the official hotline of Wuhan Municipal Health and Health Committee 12320 and learned that the content of the document is true.

12320 hotline staff said that what type of pneumonia of unknown cause appeared in Wuhan this time remains to be determined.

According to the above documents, according to the urgent notice from the superior, some medical institutions in Wuhan have successively appeared patients with pneumonia of unknown cause. All medical institutions should strengthen the management of outpatient and emergency departments, strictly implement the first-in-patient responsibility system, and find that patients with unknown cause of pneumonia actively adjust the power to treat them on the spot, and there should be no refusal to be pushed or pushed.

See also News Scan for Dec 31, 2019: Unexplained pneumonia in China; Ebola returns to DRC hot spot; MERS death in Saudi Arabia

Can someone please fill in the missing piece for me about what I initially perceive to be an inconsistency in COVID-19 data:

From what I've heard, typical recovery time is about two weeks.

According to Worldometers.info, the United States has averaged about 220,000 COVID-19 cases per day for the past month.

Also according to Worldometers.info, there are roughly 7,800,000 active COVID-19 cases in the United States.

220,000 × 14 = 3,080,000.  That's about 40% of 7,800,000.

Archived