Is the situation about the Coronavirus worrying?

communityabed

13 hours ago, AspieAlly613 said:

I would guess (and this is just a guess) that people have become more hesitant to get tested since the release of the vaccine.

Honestly, I know tons of people who were insanely sick, and didn't get tested. Just stayed home. 

The stigma of having covid, is not worth it for many. 

When I was in Hong Kong, they were blurring the faces and scrambling the voices of those "brave enough" to be interviewed o_O

Honestly. 

Knowing this, unless you're on the brink of death, you're figuring things out vs getting checked.

I got tonsillitis in Hong Kong last February. So you can imagine my panic.

Not for covid. I was never afraid of it. The stigma. 

I had no choice. I saw a doctor, and as I am getting my results, you could have sworn I was looking at an STD test with the nerves I was feeling. 

I won't name the workplace, but know a ton of employees for a large company in Canada who had an outbreak. 

Those who got sick just didn't get tested (or many, rather).

Main reason I just don't understand why anyone is relying on numbers.

Just thought I'd leave a tip: when your elderly relatives get the COVID vaccine, please don't be like one of my relatives...complaining to them and making it all about yourself (and how you still haven't received the vaccine, as a worker).

Doing all that and not congratulating them or feeling grateful/happy for them feels hurtful for the elderly person. It's like someone complaining that it's not their birthday on a day when it's someone else's: they feel you're not being supportive or happy for them; basically, it feels as though you're saying that you felt you should've had the vaccine and not them; that they all should die from COVID; and causes the elderly person to feel guilty for having a vaccine, where they feel like they shouldn't or don't deserve to get a second dose.

Also, it's not elderly people's fault; they didn't choose or have any say in who or which groups get to be prioritized.

Please, don't do that; it feels horrible, upsetting, shocking, etc. for elderly people to hear others, especially relatives, guilt trip them for being part of the first group to be vaccinated.

A person gave me a dirty look for backing away from them in a store today. I don't feel bad at all about doing it either. If you go to a store and don't wear a mask, then expect me to treat you like you are radioactive. The schools in my area just shut down and went 100% remote because they can't curb the spread. To be honest, I was avoiding people before the pandemic. This just gave me an easy excuse. 

• 2 weeks later...

So last week Ontario had under 1000 cases per day now we've opened up its been above 1200... yeah

10 hours ago, ben8884 said:

So last week Ontario had under 1000 cases per day now we've opened up its been above 1200... yeah

Not to worry. Doug Ford will be seeking to invest 2.5 million dollars to get bracelets for people that beep when you're closer than 6 feet to each other. This will help for sure.

Yes. This is heavy handed sarcasm, but unfortunately the story--is real.

To his defense, the bracelets would also beep if someone at your work got sick with Covid.

Sure, that money could go to education, or programs in desperate need of funding, but that would only just make sense. We ain't got time for that!

Yeah, I went to a mall yesterday, and have never seen it packed like that. Like Christmas crowds, on steroids.

Mercifully, it was to be in and out to do groceries, but I almost got anxiety attacks at how claustrophobic it made me feel.

Everyone was wearing a mask, though. However, walk to my car, and look at restaurants?

Packed to capacity. Patrons elbow to elbow, being protected by a plexiglass shield behind their seating area, but still butted up to the couple behind them. Indoors, no less.

I mean, this will just get numbers skyrocketing.

There needs to be restrictions that make sense and don't hurt businesses needlessly.

I don't understand people's rush to get back into restaurants/bowling alleys/etc. I mean, sure, a couple months ago I was, but then I looked at the number of people dead, and that cured that urge pretty quickly. Anytime I feel the urge to go out or want to break the rules, I just look at that number or think about the videos/stories of people dying needlessly to Covid.

"Man, I really wish I could go out without wearing a mask. Oh? We've reached 500,000 deaths? Should I wear the crab mask or the Deadpool mask today?"

On 2/8/2021 at 9:43 AM, Quasar.w said:

there were STILL some that denied Covid exists or said "we're just lied to" and just... jeez...

There are more than just 'some' apparently. Some people are just not very intelligent if they believe that every country in the world will work together with every other country in the world in this ruse, including every doctor, nurse etc... and all those people in hospitals who apparently are 'acting at being really sick' and they're such good actors that they even convincingly die. I don't have time for those deniers. Bluntly put, they are morons putting other people at risk. 

That's very different to people not understanding that they can't do just about everything when they've had their anti-covid jabs. I think there needs to be a lot more caution about the dangers from the government, even if scientists aren't exactly clear on the vaccination; in fact all the more so.

I also don't have a lot of respect or time for people who don't care (or only care about themselves and even then...) and go on holiday etc... or don't take any account of restrictions. I know it's hard for some people for financial or other desperate reasons, but the less account we take of this virus, the longer we'll be in lockdown and the worse the situation gets if you're in that boat.

On 2/8/2021 at 11:20 AM, Perspektiv said:

I think anyone denying covid at this point, needs to have their heads checked.

However, I am not surprised at the covid fatigue being wide spread.

Almost a year of constantly being told to be in fight or flight mode, is exhausting.

Many have been panicking all this time. Something has to give.

I agree but compare that with the people living in countries like Syria. I'd rather have another lockdown for a year or longer than live one month in a war zone.

Gentle Giant

Texas and Mississippi governors are lifting mask mandates and covid restrictions. What the heck!? This is so stupid and dangerous! Do they never learn anything? Do they want the variants to take hold and undo the progress we’re finally making?

33 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

Texas and Mississippi governors are lifting mask mandates and covid restrictions. What the heck!? This is so stupid and dangerous! Do they never learn anything? Do they want the variants to take hold and undo the progress we’re finally making?

They never learn anything.  

Lord Jade Cross
3 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

Around here, they just started sending kids to school and get this, the minor grades are the ones being taken in, while the schools have not been fully prepared nor the staff completely vaccinated and already there is a blow up in cases, 30 new ones today. 

21 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

Yeah. I'm hoping my state's governor doesn't follow suit, soon.

I've been wondering whether, perhaps, it'd be a good idea for the president, Congress, etc. to put a stop to it, now, because it's really not fair for progress to keep being undone by others, prolonging the virus, allowing new variants to continue to spread, etc.

I'd like to be able to go to the DMV and be able to take off my mask for a new photo (like they require; I can't renew it, online), without having to worry about getting COVID or one of the new variants; I've already waited--after it expired--for COVID cases to decrease in my area, because they were the highest they'd ever been, right after the December holidays, but they're still too high, one of the highest in the country.

I've been wondering if, say, Sanders was president, he wouldn't have allowed it.

I am totally appalled by the situation that exists in Europe right now with the vaccine rollout. It’s disgraceful. There are idiots in charge who are literally playing politics with people’s lives.

There are stocks of Astra Zeneca vaccine sitting in pharmacies and vaccine centers not being used right now because of ridiculous concerns about blood clots, when there is absolutely zero evidence whatsoever that the vaccine causes blood clots and stacks of evidence that it is perfectly safe and effective.

Now I don’t know about the accuracy of this, but I read somewhere that each day that the vaccine rollout is delayed will cost fifteen lives.

This vaccine has a limited shelf life and a use by date. If it is not used by its expiry date, it will have to be disposed of. If any quantities of vaccine end up being disposed of because they have passed their use by date, it will be absolutely scandalous.

It is really frustrating knowing that there are vaccine supplies sitting there, not being given to anyone. This is also compounded by a stupid level of vaccine hesitancy and skepticism in my country, however I want it, there are plenty of other people who also want it and who would gladly have the vaccine right now if we could, but we can’t have it.

2 hours ago, Ortac said:

I am totally appalled by the situation that exists in Europe right now with the vaccine rollout. It’s disgraceful. There are idiots in charge who are literally playing politics with people’s lives.

There are stocks of Astra Zeneca vaccine sitting in pharmacies and vaccine centers not being used right now because of ridiculous concerns about blood clots, when there is absolutely zero evidence whatsoever that the vaccine causes blood clots and stacks of evidence that it is perfectly safe and effective.

Now I don’t know about the accuracy of this, but I read somewhere that each day that the vaccine rollout is delayed will cost fifteen lives.

This vaccine has a limited shelf life and a use by date. If it is not used by its expiry date, it will have to be disposed of. If any quantities of vaccine end up being disposed of because they have passed their use by date, it will be absolutely scandalous.

It is really frustrating knowing that there are vaccine supplies sitting there, not being given to anyone. This is also compounded by a stupid level of vaccine hesitancy and skepticism in my country, however I want it, there are plenty of other people who also want it and who would gladly have the vaccine right now if we could, but we can’t have it.

Viewed from the UK, it does seem to be particularly complicated and politicised in the EU right now. I hope that changes quickly. And that the population sees that an incredibly small chance of an adverse side-effect is swamped by the much larger chance of getting and suffering (or worse) from Covid.

I read that 25% (mostly republicans) of members of Congress in the USA had declined the vaccine. How can those people get elected?

Gentle Giant

There were anti-mask protesters burning masks recently, encouraging children to join in. How stupid and wasteful. Why not donate those masks to a hospital or nursing home who can put them to good use?

I am surprised that the vaccines are being politicized in other countries as well as U.S. I just don’t understand how it could be politicized in the first place. This is a public health issue.

4 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

...I am surprised that the vaccines are being politicized in other countries as well as U.S. I just don’t understand how it could be politicized in the first place. This is a public health issue.

Yeah. I was surprised to read from "The Great Influenza," that this, also, happened during the 1918 influenza pandemic. It's sad that history is repeating itself.

I thought this video of doctors from Northern California, performing their own rendition of Hamilton's "My Shot" (about the COVID vaccines), might help cheer others up. It has closed captions, in English.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article249981119.html

OK I need to vent feel free to ignore

So a few weeks ago our Church despite Guelph being in a red zone decided to open up. I thought it was a bad idea but went. Li and behold I now need a Covid test because someone tested positive!

Oh and in Ontario Fordy is allowing more capacity for gyms and restaurants to be open even on grey lockdown zones! Seriously???

1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

It’s infuriating that Rand Paul was undermining Dr. Fauci about mask wearing at a senate hearing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anthony-fauci-rand-paul-masks-covid-vaccine/

Nothing Rand Paul says or does at this point surprises me.  I won’t say what I think of him as it’s all negative.

2 hours ago, Sean_Bird said:
On 3/10/2021 at 8:31 AM, daveb said:

Article: "COVID-19 risk increases with airborne pollen, study finds": https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210309100129.htm

Nooooooooo

On the bright side, masks still help. Some studies are showing double-masking works even better (but no appreciable advantage to more masks), or that a better seal around the edges helps. And better if, for example, there are 2 people and if both are wearing masks. I seem to recall some people who suffer from hay fever saying masks helped against their allergies, too (but that was anecdotal; I don't know if there have been any studies).

3 hours ago, daveb said:

On the bright side, masks still help. Some studies are showing double-masking works even better (but no appreciable advantage to more masks), or that a better seal around the edges helps. And better if, for example, there are 2 people and if both are wearing masks. I seem to recall some people who suffer from hay fever saying masks helped against their allergies, too (but that was anecdotal; I don't know if there have been any studies).

I do not like Covid Sam I Am, I do not like Covid on my pollen. (Don't mind me, I'm just being grumpy about Covid existing, and I do appreciate the helpful info. ❤️ )

1 minute ago, Sean_Bird said:

I do not like Covid Sam I Am, I do not like Covid on my pollen. (Don't mind me, I'm just being grumpy about Covid existing, and I do appreciate the helpful info. <3)

No worries I don't like it either. I am getting tired of isolation, among other things. I do my share of grumping about it as well. :) 

nanogretchen4

I got my first of two vaccine shots. If everything goes to plan, I will probably be immune five weeks from now.

Shot number one today.  Next one mid April...not only do I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I see the station.🙂

The high level of vaccine hesitancy and skepticism within the general population of some countries is concerning. The situation is certainly not helped by idiot politicians who don't think before opening their mouths and saying stupid things which are inaccurate or completely false. If too many people just point blank refuse to be vaccinated, it is difficult to imagine how we are ever going to get out of this situation; we'll be perpetually into and out of lockdowns with no end in sight.

Archived