Growing Your Own: What did you grow / raise / harvest?

11 hours ago, Jon A. said:

Mold, but anyone can grow that stuff. The challenge is in getting rid of it.

Bindweed is a similar problem :angry:

• Like 1
On 11/11/2019 at 3:03 AM, Skycaptain said:

Bindweed is a similar problem :angry:

And muscadines in texas or at least in my neighborhood strangle everything even birds.

• Like 2

'Muscadines' I had to look up. 'Bindweed' I know all about!

• Like 2

I had to look up bindweed the first time I heard that term on AVEN.

I've yet to look up muscadines.

• Like 4

Muscadines are wild grapes in Texas that are edible but are very sour and spread fairly quickly.

• Like 3
AceMissBehaving

We currently have 3 satsumas that are almost ripe, they are the first ones off this new little tree!

• Like 5
Orion the Hunter

I once grew a field of turnips, and I also once planted a tomato plant that grew to 8 feet tall. I will never forget that summer eating tomato sandwiches all day long

• Like 3

@Fascinated  8 feet tall? Not bad.

I had a bean sprout or some type of vine that grew to 15 feet tall before it collasped underneath its' own weight.

I fed it coffee grinds, fertilizer and a wee bit of compost.

Just wanted it to grow but not that much!😂

• Like 1
Orion the Hunter

@Member114264 that’s a pretty tall bean tree! I think I fed my tomato tree miracle-grow, plus the dirt was black NW Alabama soil which probably didn’t hurt either

• Like 2

My dad thought I'd be a great farmer or a horticulturalist if I can make a bean and catnip plants explode in growth like that.

I can see why.

• Like 1
Orion the Hunter
5 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Aren't they the best??

They are! My favorite recipe for tomato sandwiches was a fresh loaf of Colonial Sandwich Bread, Blue Plate Mayo, a sun-ripened tomato and salt. Just omg

5 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Just omg

Well said!!

I love Vegenaise, salt and open-faced on any really good whole wheat bread.  Sometimes fresh-cracked pepper too.

Not familiar with the brand Colonial.

Orion the Hunter

Would you believe that I just became a vegetarian today? And just bought a jar of Vegenaise? Along with a bunch of other somewhat foreign things like tofu, alfalfa sprouts, flax seeds and basmati rice. I had to get off the merry-go-round of fast food, chips and cokes

• Like 1

@Fascinated, you may want to try growing mushrooms. Whatever your dietary preference they are a good source of protein and tasty. 

• Like 2
Orion the Hunter
7 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Fascinated, you may want to try growing mushrooms. Whatever your dietary preference they are a good source of protein and tasty. 

You know what, I didn’t even know you could grow mushrooms. I thought they grew wherever they wanted to. I do love them, or I should say that I used to love them, on hamburgers with Swiss cheese 

• Like 1

@Fascinated, you can buy mushroom growing kits. Or if you have a garden, just spread spores around at the right time of year 

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Fascinated, you can buy mushroom growing kits. Or if you have a garden, just spread spores around at the right time of year 

I had a friend who grew these funny, skinny mushrooms with blue and gold undertones in his closet.   He dried them and sold them.

3 hours ago, Member114264 said:

I never tried eating mushrooms before.

Eating those funny mushrooms makes you laugh for about five hours and you see the world in a different light.  One time, I developed a relationship with the rock community along a river bank.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Fascinated said:

Would you believe that I just became a vegetarian today?

What a coincidence!  Good luck with finding foods and recipes you like; I know it can be challenging for people.

I am vegetarian -- mostly vegan, but not completely.  I've been vegetarian since August 1975, over 44 years ago.  Yee haw!

• Like 1
Orion the Hunter

Wow that is quite an accomplishment, 44 years is a long time to not have a hamburger. I did it once for a whole year but then I fell off the wagon 

Luckily for me I’m not that picky about food, as long as I can have a fried tofu sandwich at least once a day I think I can live with all the salads and seaweed soup I will have to eat lol

I tried to become a pescartian but it only lasted 2 weeks after I got annoyed by basically eating the same fish in the supermarket over and over again.

It was the only supermarket with fish in town and it was the cheapest one.

Orion the Hunter

I can usually go about a year eating the same thing over and over, then I start not liking it so much anymore. For example I ate almost exclusively rice every day for a year (excluding fast food), and the year before that I ate ramen noodles every day for a year. 

• Like 1

My diet is heavily varied. Oatmeal, pork chops, pizza rolls, etc.

I really love things with cinnamon or garlic though.

Orion the Hunter

My favorite toast is American cheese on a slice of bread with bologna on top, then set on top rack in oven, leave it in until the bologna starts to scream

• Like 1

I love crystalized honey with cinnamon on toast.

And by honey on toast, i'm not talking about that crap you buy in stores. More like locally grown raw honey.

• Like 1
On 11/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, Fascinated said:

Wow that is quite an accomplishment, 44 years is a long time to not have a hamburger.

I'm the only American I know who has never had a McDonald's hamburger. The first McDonalds opened near me when I was 8, and I didn't become a vegetarian until I was 18, but, still, I was never interested.

I'm a good cook.  My kids were raised with all kinds of interesting food and never even knew they were vegetarian.  Lots of cuisines use beans-- hummus and falafel (Middle East), pinto beans for burritos and tostadas (Mexico), black beans and rice (Cuba), etc.  There are so many different vegetable, grain and/or bean salads; pasta dishes without meat; nuts, fruits, avocado, etc.  I make my own steamed tamales using fresh corn off the cob, grow basil in a pot for pesto.  We ate crazy good.

• Like 2
Orion the Hunter

That is astonishing. Was that the McDonalds in LA where you lived?

Yes all the food you just mentioned sounds like everything I wished was on a plate right in front of me right now. I especially want some pita bread with hummus and garlic butter

• Like 1