Growing Your Own: What did you grow / raise / harvest?

@StrangeDruid, only if you put lots down.

There's also slug pellets, but check which sort you're using if you have pets. 

• Like 1

Picked what I assume are the last peppers of the year from my plant. I think that corner isn't warm or sunny enough for a pepper plant to really thrive (similar for the tomato I had there). Good to know for next summer.

Starting to do some research about fall plants now.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My new rose bush is covered in flowers.  I planted it in July.  I can see it from the kitchen window as it just about appears above the box hedge.  I look down on the garden from the kitchen as the house is on a slope and the kitchen windows are quite high up.  I have been planning more planting around the rose for spring.  Maybe some violas and tulips would be nice.  I am still picking apples, huge perfect ones this year and so sweet.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Mztery. said:

My new rose bush is covered in flowers...I have been planning more planting around the rose for spring.  Maybe some violas and tulips would be nice.  I am still picking apples, huge perfect ones this year and so sweet.

That sounds nice!

• Like 2

The rodents have been helping themselves to my vegetables.  Gophers that broke into the greenhouse destroyed three cauliflower and broccoli plants.  Something has begun to eat my carrots from the top down.  I moved two pepper plants into a shed so they could ripen.  The rodents in the shed completely denuded my pepper plants down to the stalk.  They were both hot peppers; one was a golden cayenne and one was a hot red chili.  I'm going to take down everything but the chard and broccoli plants today.  After all, we are nearly at the end of the growing season. 

• Like 4

@Muledeer, that sucks bigtime :(

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

My tomatoes failed this year.

That is a shame, Muledeer.  

On 10/3/2020 at 10:23 PM, Karst said:

Yep!

My scented leaved geraniums live outside all summer and then in the bedroom window, the porch or the greenhouse all winter.  They make large plants, most of them, and some have pretty flowers as well as wonderful smelling leaves.  I have peppermint scented, lemon, eucalyptus, orange, rose.  They are wonderful collectors' plants and propagate easily.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

My tomatoes failed this year.

How disappointing, Muledeer.  If you're like me, tomatoes are the thing you most look forward to.

1 hour ago, Mz Tricky said:

I have peppermint scented, lemon, eucalyptus, orange, rose.

I hadn't heard of scented-leaved geraniums.  They sound wonderful; I'll have to see if we carry them here.

A couple months ago a number of plants bloomed again here that had bloomed in the spring, including crocuses.  It was so surprising!

• Like 2

We're still getting oodles of tomatoes here of all sizes and varieties (from grape tomatoes and sungold cherry tomatoes to big heirlooms), and I even picked and ate six strawberries yesterday, but I thought I had finally finished off all the raspberries about two weeks ago.  Not so--I found about 15 that were ripe and ready to eat when I was picking tomatoes in an area of the garden I haven't visited for a while.  Such a yummy surprise.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

It's amazing how long homegrown produce lasts in the refrigerator.  I finished the last Swiss chard about a week ago.  The radishes and garlic scapes lasted for three months.  I still have two heads of cabbage, a turnip, parsnips and carrots and a box of onions and garlic.  Oh, and a few red and green tomatoes are left as well.

• Like 2

I've still got some chard growing outside but most of the leaves have turned black. Does anyone know if I can still  cook it?

Other than that, all my self- grown stuff is finished apart from one Jonagold apple. 

• Like 2

Your chard sounds charred. :P

(sorry, bad pun - can't help with your question about cooking)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tunhope said:

I've still got some chard growing outside but most of the leaves have turned black. Does anyone know if I can still  cook it?

Other than that, all my self- grown stuff is finished apart from one Jonagold apple. 

Are the plants still alive - is there any structure to the leaves?  If so, it would be worth a try

• Like 1
On 11/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, Muledeer said:

Are the plants still alive - is there any structure to the leaves?  If so, it would be worth a try

Yes, not dead, just  lost all their colour. I'll give it a go. Thanks .

• Like 2

Someone sent me a tea plant for my forthcoming birthday, with instructions attached on how to use the new leaves when they appear for a cup of green tea.  I don't think I will be rivalling Tetley any time soon, but tea is grown in Cornwall and also Perthshire.

20201127-212242-resized.jpg

My photos are frequently photobombed by Little Dog.  I thought it vaguely amusing to put the plant in a large cup and saucer plant holder I already had.

• Like 5

didn't know tea was grown in the UK. Learn something every day.

• Like 3
On 11/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Tunhope said:
On 11/21/2020 at 1:04 PM, Muledeer said:

Yes, not dead, just  lost all their colour. I'll give it a go. Thanks .

Did you ever cook the black chard?

57 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

didn't know tea was grown in the UK. Learn something every day.

English Tea from Tregothnan | The Tea Grown in England

Perthshire tea gardens growing Scottish tea in Scotland, UK (teagardensofscotland.co.uk)

I had heard of the Cornish tea growing, but not Perthshire.  The information arrived with my plant.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Did you ever cook the black chard?

I cooked young leaves that were on the blackened plants and that were green or red, but I didnt actually cook the black leaves themselves. I was amazed that, at this time of year, there were some young green leaves still growing. Got to be honest and say that those black leaves dont look very appetising, but maybe that's just a  mental block. I will try some this week and tell you if they were ok.

@Mysterry I'll check out the links. Thank you

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

Got to be honest and say that those black leaves dont look very appetising,

It's hard to cook and eat food that doesn't look appetizing, even if you did grow it.

• Like 4
On 11/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, Muledeer said:

It's hard to cook and eat food that doesn't look appetizing, even if you did grow it.

update: the blackened leaves were far too bitter and chewy to eat raw. They were ok torn into bits and added to a stir fry though.

• Like 3

I always prepare chard by steaming it, then serving it with cider vinegar, butter, salt and pepper.  Never tried it raw!    

• Like 1