Growing Your Own: What did you grow / raise / harvest?

As I was given some money for Christmas to buy stuff for the garden, I went to the garden centre today and bought a Christmas rose, a variegated ivy and a pot of miniature daffodils for a container.  The hellebores in the front garden are already starting to open.

• Like 5

I forgot to mention that for christmas, I finally got a greenhouse.

It's a small one but it'll do.

• Like 5
39 minutes ago, ColeHW34 said:

I finally got a greenhouse.

It's a small one but it'll do.

Tell us about it!  soft sided or hard sided?  How big?  What will be your first plants in it?  How will it be cooled or ventilated?

• Like 2
Just now, Muledeer said:

Tell us about it!  soft sided or hard sided?  How big?  What will be your first plants in it?  How will it be cooled or ventilated?

Soft sided.

Not big. Only 4 by 6 feet.

Mainly plants that can withstand 30's

It was 2 side vents but I've positioned it so there's always a crosswind.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Well I'm finally building my big bad 10 by 16 by 8 foot greenhouse next week.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

Do you have things planted in the little greenhouse yet?

Yep. Lemons, whey grass, flowers, peppers, and beans. 

• Like 2

I had to Google whey grass @ColeHW34 as I've never heard of it. If you can grow lemons, could you also grow nectarines, peaches and oranges? 

Its been so wet here that I haven't begun to think about growing anything so far this year. I'm waiting for a bluer sky.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

I had to Google whey grass @ColeHW34 as I've never heard of it. If you can grow lemons, could you also grow nectarines, peaches and oranges? 

Its been so wet here that I haven't begun to think about growing anything so far this year. I'm waiting for a bluer sky.

I'm not sure what exactly type of grass but supposedly cats love to munch on it.

I think oat grass or wheat grass.

• Like 3

While in Hawaii earlier this month, I saw several greenhouses in yards and on farms.  Why is a greenhouse needed in a tropical climate?  Because they start their plant seeds in an environment which is protected from excessive rain and moisture, avoiding mold and other diseases while the seeds are germinating and getting established.  They weren't really  enclosed structures with walls, but open sided with screens or netting to also protect the seedlings from hungry birds or rodents while allowing good ventilation.

@ColeHW34 I assume the "lemons" you have started are actually tree seedlings which will be transplanted outside?

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

While in Hawaii earlier this month, I saw several greenhouses in yards and on farms.  Why is a greenhouse needed in a tropical climate?  Because they start their plant seeds in an environment which is protected from excessive rain and moisture, avoiding mold and other diseases while the seeds are germinating and getting established.  They weren't really  enclosed structures with walls, but open sided with screens or netting to also protect the seedlings from hungry birds or rodents while allowing good ventilation.

@ColeHW34 I assume the "lemons" you have started are actually tree seedlings which will be transplanted outside?

No. They are just very big lemon seeds.

• Like 3

Excuse my barging in...

I've been growing tomatoes, chillies and strawberries on my balcony last year, also a small variety of herbs. I've been trying to get the herbs, strawberry plant (in a makeshift "greenhouse" comprised of a cardboard box, stuffings against the cold and clear plastic sheets to let some light in) and chilli plant (in the hallway outside my flat) over the winter. Success will still have to be determined. I've also had rocket and physalis  growing on my balcony in previous years.

I wish I had  space for a proper greenhouse, too, @ColeHW34😍

• Like 6

Well I finally got the lumber for supports, base, and side's of the greenhouse!

Turns out it'll be 16 x 8 x 8 feet.

• Like 4

download-20200229-211128.jpg

I upload more later. My internet is slower than molasses in January

• Like 4

Looks like it is coming along nicely, @ColeHW34! Are you working from plans that you designed or acquired (bought, downloaded, or something else)?

10 minutes ago, daveb said:

Looks like it is coming along nicely, @ColeHW34! Are you working from plans that you designed or acquired (bought, downloaded, or something else)?

I'm working with my dad's and my plans for the greenhouse.

I already knew how to build it somehow and coordinated with dad to make everything just right.

It's actually pretty easy but only because my family has a long line of being construction workers, architect's, gardener's, and electricians so it works hand in hand.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, ColeHW34 said:

I'm working with my dad's and my plans for the greenhouse.

I already knew how to build it somehow and coordinated with dad to make everything just right.

It's actually pretty easy but only because my family has a long line of being construction workers, architect's, gardener's, and electricians so it works hand in hand.

Cool! :D 

When I was a kid my dad and some of his friends laid a concrete foundation and built a garage in our backyard. It is still there; still standing. Some of his friends who helped were professional concrete guys, electricians, and such, and he was a surveyor and was the one who made sure the area was properly laid out and leveled.

• Like 2

I'll most likely add a lot of mesh underneath to stop the dogs, squirrels, and other pests from wrecking the dang thing.

But I'll still need vent space underneath because our soil tends to have a funky smell to it and I doubt it's a good idea to let it accumulate.

• Like 3

I went to the garden centre today and bought a couple of herb plants and some seeds.  I have a plan to grow herbs in terracotta pots on the steps outside the French windows.  They had herbs from The Hairy Pot Company.  These are grown in coir pots that will decompose harmlessly when planted in the ground or in a larger container.  I am so looking forward to gardening again after a dreadful wet and stormy, depressing February.

• Like 4

I'm deferring planting because a) my garden is like a paddy field, and b) I've a few AVEN commitments, so I plan to buy seedlings from the garden centre and put them in troughs in April

• Like 1
On 2/29/2020 at 10:47 PM, ColeHW34 said:

I'll most likely add a lot of mesh underneath to stop the dogs, squirrels, and other pests from wrecking the dang thing.

But I'll still need vent space underneath because our soil tends to have a funky smell to it and I doubt it's a good idea to let it accumulate.

I dug a trench about a foot deep around the entire perimeter of my greenhouse, then installed the wire mesh (hardware fabric), attached it to the wall, and refilled the trench with gravel for proper drainage.  It has kept out all of the rodents, squirrels and gophers for over 15 years!  Also, I installed about about six screened floor vents - like 6" square - for proper ventilation at ground level. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@yyy you can grow some varieties  of tomatoes in a pot (or a grow-bag)  if you have a balcony.  Is that a possibility?  I like dandelion greens too - but not too many! An old  name for them here is piss-the-bed because they do have a certain effect!  And, yes, zucchini (we call them courgettes) do grow pretty easily. I like them a lot too. They are very versatile. I've never tried them in bread though. I'll Google a recipe and give it a try. 

• Like 2

The reason courgettes / zucchini are expensive is because they take up a lot of space, need lots of water and have to be hand picked. 

A cherry tomato on a window box or hanging basket may be a start if you haven't much space 

• Like 2
A. Sterling
On 3/17/2020 at 8:40 PM, yyy said:

Wow. In your room.  Is there enough sunlight there?

The lavender died because my dorm room this year did not get enough light. Last year my dorm got a lot of light and I had a whole setup for all of my plants. The tree, lavender, etc. I started tomatoes, leeks, and lettuce there as well. It was very nice. This year I ended up with the lemon tree, chocolate mint, parsley, thyme, and an aloe plant all in my room. I've also got some dill, mint, parsley, camomile, and basil that I've started from seed which is doing quite well in a small indoor hydroponic system. (I do use grow lights if my plants look a little starved for light.) 

• Like 3
On 3/18/2020 at 2:05 PM, Tunhope said:

An old  name for them here is piss-the-bed because they do have a certain effect! 

There is a certain yellow wild flower which grows in our mountains, although very different from a dandelion, that I was taught the common name was "pee the bed".  That must be a common flower name originating from my English ancestry.  I agree, that dandelions have a diuretic effect.   They are bitter, but they are very healthy if you can stand their taste.

• Like 3

The herbs I bought a little while ago are growing well.  I hope to sow the seeds of some others over the next few days.  I have chives, parsley and lime basil.  I will start them all in pots indoors.  Although we have sunshine now, it is bitterly cold here, with an icy wind.

• Like 3

Same here @Mz Terry Sunny but a north east wind. I've sown some tomato seeds indoors but that's all. 

• Like 3