Songs you didn't realize were about sex?

Lizzytreble13

Queen - Don't stop me now

I absolutely loved that song, it was so catchy and energetic but when I found out the meaning of the song... well... it just ruined it for me. :(

I thought the song was about believing in yourself and never giving up. That would also have been a better message in my opinion but yeah whatever. <_<

I absolutely loved that song, it was so catchy and energetic but when I found out the meaning of the song... well... it just ruined it for me. :(

I thought the song was about believing in yourself and never giving up. That would also have been a better message in my opinion but yeah whatever. <_<

I always thought that Don't stop me now was about drugs or something....

Nope, I'm still going to believe that song is completely innocent. Don't ruin it for me.

Dodecahedron314

Nope, I'm still going to believe that song is completely innocent. Don't ruin it for me.

As a resolute Queen fan, I will not stand for this. I'm re-listening to this myself.

*listens*

All right, I can kind of...

Maybe if you think of it like....

Ugh. Fine. I'll concede this one. However, for 95% of it, it's still entirely possible to interpret it nonsexually, so that's the interpretation I subscribe to. You might call it denial, but I call it keeping my faith in humanity (insert Freddie Mercury meme here). Incidentally, you might also call me Mr. Fahrenheit if you so choose, but that's neither here nor there.

Anthracite_Impreza

Really? :(

allrightalready

i am going to stop reading this, i am in my fifties and have listened to many of these and never made the connection with most of them

Calamity Jim

I think the most scarring for me was Monster by Lady Gaga. It took me while to figure out it was about sex, and then I realized it was about date rape. Now I can't listen to it anymore.

Bigger question, how long did it take you to figure out that Paradise by the Dashboard lights was about sex? I was definitely in my 20s and had it gently explained to me

Frozen Fairy

So I DID realise it was about sex quite quickly, but for those who don't know, in Katy Perry's 'Birthday', I'm affraid her 'big balloons' aren't actual balloons...

Sorry! But then again, I honestly can't see anything sexual in it but yeah maybe I should stop reading the comments on videos. -_-

As a resolute Queen fan, I will not stand for this. I'm re-listening to this myself.

*listens*

All right, I can kind of...

Maybe if you think of it like....

Ugh. Fine. I'll concede this one. However, for 95% of it, it's still entirely possible to interpret it nonsexually, so that's the interpretation I subscribe to. You might call it denial, but I call it keeping my faith in humanity (insert Freddie Mercury meme here). Incidentally, you might also call me Mr. Fahrenheit if you so choose, but that's neither here nor there.

I say, keep believing that. I was also really annoyed by the amount of people that said it. Like, can I please enjoy a song without perverts ruining it for me!

Really? :(

Well... I may listen to it again 'cause... I mean, I was a little younger and more sex repulsed than now when I first heard the song, so maybe it doesn't matter that much today. I'm sure I'm probably listening to songs about sex without even knowing!

Runs_Into_Walls

Friend: Do you know what theyre talking about when they say anaconda?

Me: No

Friend: (rolling eyes) The song is about sex.

Me: (horrified) With an anaconda?

Friend: (facepalm)

Like most of the songs of Led Zeppelin. I keep listening to them though.

• 1 month later...
The Terrible Travis

I actually have the opposite problem... A bit of a dirty mind in spite of being completely sex repulsed... :ph34r:

Anyway, I'm old enough to actually remember when this song was a hit: http://www.songlyrics.com/dan-seals/bop-lyrics/ ...

And even though it's CLEARLY a song about DANCING the night away, and even though he CLEARLY sings the line, "I ain't after your body, baby." ...

I'd be singing along at the top of my lungs: "I want to BOP with ya, Baby, ALL NIGHT LONG... I want to BOP the NIGHT AWAY...", doing my best attempt to waggle my eyebrows in some sort of suggestive way but really just looking like an idiot...
And my friend would just be rolling her eyes and be like, "You KNOW that the song is about DANCING..." with an insufferable sigh.
And I'd just be like, "But EVERYBODY KNOWS what "BOP" REALLY means... And he's BOPPING her ALL NIGHT LONG..." :o
Still surprised that she put up with me through that... :rolleyes:
Anyway, I may never get around to formally introducing myself like I know I should, but I've had this song stuck in my head ever since this thread came into existence... :cake:

are you me

Definitely "Animals" by Maroon 5. I didn't notice until I read a comparison between "Animals" and "Sugar" :)

LucyFernandez

In fact, you can laugh all you want, the song Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo by the Bloodhoundgang.

I listened to that song quite a few years ago and didn't pay attention to the lyrics or knew much about military language. So...yeah.

"Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush. ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM ) I thought it was about a breakup, and she wanted to "swap our places" so her ex would know how much he emotionally hurt her. Turns out she wishes they could swap places during sex so he knows how it feels to her. Apparently.

But I'm a firm believer that there can be multiple interpretations of songs, even different from what the artist intended, because people might relate to the words differently based on their experiences.

There's some song that's been always playing on the radio lately, but I don't know the name. All I know is they keep repeating "love me like you do". If you love someone it's love right? It's not LIKE love. It's like a conversation my parents had. *Translated* Dad: Oh it's like [this]! Mom: What are you talking about? It's not like it, IT IS!

It's "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding. Sadly, it's very, very likely it's about sex, because the song was written for the "50 Shades of Grey" soundtrack *gags*

Not me personally, but my mom had the same experience with the song "Afternoon Delight". :lol:

I have my oblivious moments from time to time, but I pick up the sexual references pretty quickly.

I figured that song was about sex but when I was smaller i thought it was about fireworks... because they were talking about "sparks."

So apparently "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams is about a summer with a lot of sex. I did not know about this until senior year of high school because some friends at the time pointed it out. I'm still kind of skeptical about it though. I like to think that it is still about a guy who had a fun summer and his little innocent love life.

I was shocked when I found that out too, and I feel the same way. I've been listening to that song a long time before I found that out. I thought it was just about a guy reminiscing about his rock band in 1969, and I still want to think it is.

Wait, so it's not about a guy who was remembering his summer in 1969? Wow, I mean, mostly I assume songs are at least romantic in nature if not sexual, but I never realized he didn't mean the year. It even dawned on me that 69 was a sexual number, but I still though he meant the year '69.

Autumn Season

Mambo Number 5 was always on during parties when I was in infants school (about 6). I heard it a few months ago and it suddenly dawned on me that he was talking about all the girls he slept with.

While it certainly does sound this way, I once heard that those names are actually the singer's friends and family whom he wanted to honor in his song.

Another song which seems to be about sex but isn't: Ego by Beyonce.

VindicatorPhoenix

I promised myself earlier today that I wouldn't rant about the fall of society and world destruction, but it's coming out!!! :twisted:

As my grandfather once said: "The world's gone to hell!" At this rate, songs that talk about having picnics or going for hikes are gonna have sexual meanings someday. My grandpa was right, somebody save me!!! :(

Here's what I think songs are gonna sound like in 2050:

"Hey baby, what's your name?" "My name is sex!" "So is mine!"

Everybody panic and run in circles, aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

I was listening to "Because your Gorgeous" on the drive home last night from work, and I'd never really listened to the lyrics before...and they are gross :/

Dodecahedron314

I'm really surprised I don't have any more contributions to make to this thread after being subjected to the musical tastes (or rather, lack thereof) of 49 other college students for the past two months. I probably just blocked anything I could post out of my memory for my own sanity. I'd just like to say that I laughed so hard when I heard the cooking pies line in Trap Queen, though, and may or may not attempt to make an entire baking-themed parody of it at some point. :D

However, I did go to a Mexican restaurant today, and on the TV they had what appeared to be the Spanish language version of MTV playing (it's called Telehit if anyone's heard of it). I was slightly confused as to whether the music video for the first song that came on after I sat down was a music video or a lingerie commercial.

my roommate was listening to "Stronger" by Kanye West, and I just now realized that he's talking about sex.

What? No nope nope nope I reject this reality and insert my own

She Bop by Cyndi Lauper

I thought she was singing about dancing until someone said what it was really about.

Rainbow~Sprinkles

here are at least 2

How is "complicated" about sex?

Rainbow~Sprinkles

Omg I can so relate to this!

"Edge of Glory" by Lady Gaga

"Pokeface" by Lady Gaga was my absolute jam until my friend told me what it was about - I thought it was about protecting who you are from people and proving them wrong about you or something empowering like that. :redface:

"The Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani - my favourite song because I thought it was about forgiveness - which it was but not in the way I thought :redface:

"chandelier" by Sia - thought this was empowering too, I was so wrong!

"only when I sleep" by the Corrs - grew up listening to this song and it was only recently I realised what it was about all this time :redface:

Rainbow~Sprinkles

"Wonderland" by Taylor Swift

"shirtsleeves" by Ed Sheeran

Archived