Songs you didn't realize were about sex?

Lizzytreble13

You all have ruin a lot of songs for me.

I guess this is why I listen to classical music. No words to misinterpret.

I am a Simon and Garfunkel fan. And I had liked "Cecelia" just because it had a good beat to it. But when I actually listened to the words, I was no longer a fan of that particular song. Probably my least favorite Simon and Garfunkel song. :wacko:

I don't know how true this is... But it saved my feelings for the song...

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3554

"This is just a theory, but it's a lot more poetic than the "cheating girlfriend" story. How many of Simon and Garfunkel's song's lyrics are so explicitly on the nose? Not many. St. Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians, so Simon is singing about having writer's block. Everything is going great (he's making love) and when he takes a short break (getting up to wash his face) he finds that his inspiration has left him. But it comes back." - Keith Dennis - Portland, Oregon

(Now this will really mess you up lol! How?! Why?! Nnnnnnooooooooooo!!!!) "C'est La Vie" by B*Witched and "The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan.

NOOOOO! Those songs can't be about that!

Please don't hate me, but I honestly didn't know that Mambo #5 by Lou Bega or Tea Party by Kerli were about sex. Also Shake It by Metro Station totally went over my head. I just thought they had catchy tunes...

I used to like Mambo #5 too, until I thought about the words and realized what it was about. I haven't listened to the other songs you mention.

When I was younger, I never realized what "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye and "I'll Make Love To You," by Boyz 2 Men and "Last Night" by Az Yet were about. It also took me a little longer than usual to realize what "Come on, Get Higher," was about. I used to like that song until I figured it out.

Also that one song by David Bowie.

Do you mean "Velvet Goldmine"? Definitely.

No, I probably meant "Suffragette City." But yes, that other one, too.

Suffragette City? Wait, what? How does that even work...no, never mind, don't tell me, I've seen far too many people's favorite songs getting ruined by this thread already.

awwwwWWWW WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM!

...That wasn't just included for the sake of internal rhyme, onomatopoeia, and general rock lyric nonsense? :-/

"Hey man, well she's a total blam-blam

She said she had to squeeze it but she then she"

"There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes"

"Wham bam thank you ma'am"

It's like, what else is the song about? (To be honest, Rock 'n' Roll Suicide, immediately following, redeems everything, but still...)

genderirrelevant

I was listening to "All about that base" today and thinking how it's catchy fun but I'm actually less comfortable singing along because it's supposedly something I should feel affirmed by. I don't want people admiring my 'booty' and wanting to hold it. >_< At least when I'm singing to AC/DC it's obviously parody.

So I didn't know Take me to Church by Hozier was about sex until the radio DJ pointed it out. Also I remember when my step sister found out Whistle by Flo Rida was sexual.

• 3 weeks later...
JohnDoe1995

Get Lucky by Daft Punk.

I heard this song so many times & always sang along, but never got the real meaning (probably because I was usually distracted by the music video featuring what seems like a 90's anime about green aliens). After a year of loving this song I finally understood what it was really about.

One day my best friend & I were listening to the song & I was like "wait, aren't get some & get lucky slang for having sex?". My friend asked me with a surprised face "you didn't get it until now?!". When I said no, she did the most epic facepalm I ever saw.

clueingforlooks

8th Avenue Serenade by Green Day. Apparently "Meet me at the bathroom stall, Meet me at the whispering wall, Before all the flames burn out." is about a hook up in the bathroom, and it took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to figure that out :P

Smooth Operator, by Sade. Technically about a man who picks up a lot of women, and not about sex, but close enough.

Though, in my defense, my dad told me when I was little that it was about a telephone operator like my grandpa used to be in WW2, and I took that at face value for far too long. Using my grandpa just makes it that much worse, though. Like, ew.

nerdperson777

I have yet to discover any sex songs but I would like to question some.

I like Adele's "Someone Like You", but could "I guess she gave you things I didn't give to you" mean satisfying sex? I could just be paranoid about all these sex songs now.

There's some song that's been always playing on the radio lately, but I don't know the name. All I know is they keep repeating "love me like you do". If you love someone it's love right? It's not LIKE love. It's like a conversation my parents had. *Translated* Dad: Oh it's like [this]! Mom: What are you talking about? It's not like it, IT IS!

Just feel the need to mention that this doesn't just happen to asexuals. My mom, who usually ends up explaining what songs really mean to me, had heard "Come On Eileen" many, many times since 1982. But before Shazam it was hard to make out the lyrics as Dexys Midnight Runners kinda mumble. She was rather surprised when it turns out the lyrics are:

"You in that dress

My thoughts I confess

Verge on dirty

Oh, come on Eileen"

"Aah, come on let's

Take off everything

That pretty red dress

Eileen (tell him yes)

Aah, come on let's

Aah, come on Eileen"

So be comforted, it's not just us.

Dodecahedron314

Just feel the need to mention that this doesn't just happen to asexuals. My mom, who usually ends up explaining what songs really mean to me, had heard "Come On Eileen" many, many times since 1982. But before Shazam it was hard to make out the lyrics as Dexys Midnight Runners kinda mumble. She was rather surprised when it turns out the lyrics are:

"You in that dress

My thoughts I confess

Verge on dirty

Oh, come on Eileen"

"Aah, come on let's

Take off everything

That pretty red dress

Eileen (tell him yes)

Aah, come on let's

Aah, come on Eileen"

So be comforted, it's not just us.

I KNEW there was a reason I always hated that song, even if I couldn't tell what it was saying.

I've not read the post but Galantis' "Smile" song has the most fucked-up video I've ever seen. It killed my innocence ·____·

Glad You Came by The Wanted. It took me a while to catch on to the fact that the entire song he wants to have sex with her. I'm a lot less oblivious now, and I usually catch stuff like that pretty quickly, but that was a while ago.

chromanebula

Isn't practically every song about sex? Yeah, some of these songs you guys have mentioned stood out to me (Like a Prayer, anyone?) But the big how-do-you-not-see-that has to be Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga.

"It's time to feel the rush to push the dangerous; I'm gonna run right to, to the edge with you, where we'll both fall far in love! I'm on the edge of glory and I'm hanging on a moment of truth"--Come on! Did you really think you could disguise what you were really singing about, Lady Gaga?

0.0 good lord, guys I'm just figuring out that so many songs are sexual in nature.

I still don't understand how half of these are.

"Bang Bang" ariana grande

"Two Weeks" FKA twings

"Partition" Beyonce

"Rock with you" Michael Jackson (you know that one...dance you in with the sunlight)

Like, I hardly realize that any songs are about sex unles they're explicitly talking about sex.

:cake: Lets raise a cake for these, and the many more sexual innuendos which shall be lost on the A team. And now a moment of silence. bows head* *munches cake*

• 1 month later...
Dodecahedron314

"Melt" by Siouxsie and the Banshees. I had it on my phone forever because I have the whole album, but usually skip it because I find it musically boring and the recording I have is terrible quality because I converted it to an .mp3 from an .aud that I recorded from a tape that was recorded from a CD...yeah. Anyway, I've always skipped it, and it came on shuffle today and I thought to myself, "I wonder what the lyrics to this actually are, because I've never been able to make out any of them." So I swiped over to the visualizer on my phone that has lyrics....and promptly deleted the song.

'Can you feel the love tonight' my friend says it is about sex despite the fact that its in a disney movie

House of Chimeras

"She Be the One" and "One Night Stand" by Enrique Iglesias. Throughout my teenager years we listened to these songs and had no idea the former references sex and the latter was specifically about a sex.

'Can you feel the love tonight' my friend says it is about sex despite the fact that its in a disney movie

.... I refuse to believe that. I might cry.

I also just assume that almost every song under the sun is about sex, and I try to look up lyrics to songs I pretty much like to confirm or deny it. And the verdict is....it usually is.

Turning Japanese isn't about sex per se, it is actually about masturbation.

A lot of song lyrics I tend to miss, because I don't have the attention span to listen to a whole song and pay attention to the lyrics

WhenSummersGone

I tend to miss all of them unless someone says it's about sex or it's obvious lol. My mind just doesn't go there with music. It took me some time to figure out that Sugar by Maroon 5 is about sex, I think. I'm more romantic so I hear most songs as being intimate but not sexual really.

• 2 weeks later...
Elluna Hellen

Boom boom boom boom by the Vengaboys

in my defence, I was eight and as I am Dutch I didn't really speak English yet. I figured out some of the lyrics, though, and went 'Oh, they're having a play date, or a sleepover. Fun.'

Same logic goes for a couple of Toy Box songs (mostly the Sailor song and Best friend, though the latter isn't about sex *as* much), Barbie girl by Aqua (no, kid me, this song is most likely not about an actual barbie doll). there must be some more but I do not currently remember.

Fast forward to about ten to fifteen years later, and I'm facepaming at kid me :P

Uhhh. I didn't know like a third of the songs on this thread were about sex... And seriously, how can Barbie Girl be a sex song???

• 1 month later...
INVISIBLENINJAH

My parents and I were listening to Madonna's "Like a Prayer" in the car when I was 22 or 23. There was a lull in the conversation and I heard, "I'm down on my knees. I want to take you there." The gears in my head began to turn and I FINALLY after 13 years of listening to the song realized that she was talking about something entirely different. I immediately understood why the song had been so controversial. When I blurted out my realization, my parents cracked up, and we ended up replaying the song while laughing and cringing and me saying I'd never be able to listen to that song the same way ever again.

I also realized that Madonna's song "Cherish" was about wanting a relationship rather than casual sex last year. I always thought when I was younger that a "casual encounter" was just meeting in everyday life and not a formal or semi-formal setting. Like, meeting at the bookstore or grocery store.

Other songs I later discovered were about sex:

Centerfold by J. Geils Band

Super Freak by Rick James

Turning Japanese by The Vapors

That list should really be longer, but I can't recall them all right now.

I KNOW ALL OF LIKE A PRAYER BY HEART! WE HAD TO SING IT IN SCHOOL! I NEVER KNEW!

Guest Sheka4

Joystick by Simon Curtis, the nerd part of me always thought he was just talking about incredibly old game systems and being really competitive. My naivete was strong.

INVISIBLENINJAH

Honestly I don't listen to music mainly because this sort of thing. I don't want to accidentally be singing about sex.

Like a prayer surprises me.

I know that get lucky is dirty however when I tried to explain it to an allo friend of mine she wouldn't believe me.

Mel Tillis - I Got The Hoss :

I had no idea there was an alternate meaning to the lyrics of:

"I got the horse and she got the saddle"...

"Together we're gonna ride, ride, ride"...

Mambo Number 5 was always on during parties when I was in infants school (about 6). I heard it a few months ago and it suddenly dawned on me that he was talking about all the girls he slept with.

Archived