Songs you didn't realize were about sex?

Lizzytreble13

Almost any song I come across.. It takes me a while to figure out what the lyrics are. I generally stick to rock/goth stuff.. because it's not generally sex filled. Or if it is, I don't notice it. It's more emotionally charged, deals with insanity, romance, or loneliness. Sometimes I'll stray to more mainstream stuff like Imagine Dragons or Mumford & Sons or Imogen Heap. I will admit though, it took me a very long time to figure out that this one song by Bruno Mars was sex filled. Locked Out Of Heaven. Usually on the radio or the few times my cousins visit (they are very much the pop lovers) was when I heard it. So not often. However, when I looked up the song, and saw the lyrics, it completely shocks me that people still play it so publicly. I'm honestly surprised parents aren't taking to the streets with it. It's so sexual, and not like most songs that cover it up. I cannot listen to it without cringing, and if someone around me plays it, I usually request to change to something different.

Rui Da Silva ft Cassandra - "Touch Me". It wasn't until a good few years later that I realised it was about sex!

(Now this will really mess you up lol! How?! Why?! Nnnnnnooooooooooo!!!!) "C'est La Vie" by B*Witched and "The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan.

Seriously? :blink: I never ever took any of those two songs to be anything of a sexual nature!

I actually have the opposite problem... A bit of a dirty mind in spite of being completely sex repulsed... :ph34r:

Anyway, I'm old enough to actually remember when this song was a hit: http://www.songlyrics.com/dan-seals/bop-lyrics/ ...

And even though it's CLEARLY a song about DANCING the night away, and even though he CLEARLY sings the line, "I ain't after your body, baby." ...

I'd be singing along at the top of my lungs: "I want to BOP with ya, Baby, ALL NIGHT LONG... I want to BOP the NIGHT AWAY...", doing my best attempt to waggle my eyebrows in some sort of suggestive way but really just looking like an idiot...
And my friend would just be rolling her eyes and be like, "You KNOW that the song is about DANCING..." with an insufferable sigh.
And I'd just be like, "But EVERYBODY KNOWS what "BOP" REALLY means... And he's BOPPING her ALL NIGHT LONG..." :o
Still surprised that she put up with me through that... :rolleyes:
Anyway, I may never get around to formally introducing myself like I know I should, but I've had this song stuck in my head ever since this thread came into existence... :cake:

I like Depeche Mode, and I happened to be listing to World in My Eyes and really realized that, yeah, it's another song about sex, but written along such poetic lines that it actually takes a couple times of listening to it before it makes sense. (And the only reason I can tell is because there's only one romance writer I've ever encountered who uses similar language when describing intimate scenes. Let's hear it for romance novels... ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fArx9p6oOOU

PinkEagleSoaring86

Rui Da Silva ft Cassandra - "Touch Me". It wasn't until a good few years later that I realised it was about sex!

(Now this will really mess you up lol! How?! Why?! Nnnnnnooooooooooo!!!!) "C'est La Vie" by B*Witched and "The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan.

Seriously? :blink: I never ever took any of those two songs to be anything of a sexual nature!

Me neither really...just found that out not too long ago though! But I still love B*Witched and Gloria Estefan though! I actually talk to Keavy, Edele, Lindsay and Sinead on Twitter and sometimes Facebook. They're really awesome and amazingly down-to-earth!

Dodecahedron314

Bicycle by Queen.

Bicycle Race?! What?!? If this is true, my childhood is at least slightly ruined (Queen's Greatest Hits was the first CD I owned.)

How is that about anything other than an actual, literal bicycle race? It has a bunch of bicycle bells in it! They play it at actual bicycle races, according to my grade school band director! Grade school band directors never lie! (Unless they're telling you that you played something really well. There is no such thing as a "good" grade school band, imo.)

I mean, I kind of do see how it could be possibly considered an innuendo, but... Nope. Just nope. I reject your reality and substitute my own.

My problem was that singers didn't annunciate very well or that some words were bleeped, so I didn't know that a song like "Get Low" was a sex song till I read the lyrics online.

Most songs I hear on pop radio stations. "sexual" lyrics are initially hard to detect for me, since English is not my first language, and because I mostly listen to music if I like it's melody/beat, lyrics being secondary to my experience, so I only start noticing them after several listens. Many times I've found myself dancing or even singing along to songs because they were catchy while being completely unaware they were about sex, to my embarrassment :blush:.

Generally they're not really a detriment to my enjoyment as long as they're not disgustingly explicit, which has been a problem lately IMO (like last year there was this trend of making songs about butts, which brought us crap like Anaconda by Nicki Minaj or Wiggle by Jason Derulo, for example), I mean there have always been songs like this but at least they used to be more subtle, less explicit than now. Still, some of my favorite pop songs of the last few years are about sex and I still enjoy them, "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars is my current jam ^_^.

Bicycle by Queen.

Bicycle Race?! What?!? If this is true, my childhood is at least slightly ruined (Queen's Greatest Hits was the first CD I owned.)

How is that about anything other than an actual, literal bicycle race? It has a bunch of bicycle bells in it! They play it at actual bicycle races, according to my grade school band director! Grade school band directors never lie! (Unless they're telling you that you played something really well. There is no such thing as a "good" grade school band, imo.)

I mean, I kind of do see how it could be possibly considered an innuendo, but... Nope. Just nope. I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I'm pretty certain bicycle race is about something else entirely- than both sex and an actual bicycle race. I don't really remember what it actually is about, though. I'll find out sometime.

Technically wanking, but hey.

Ahem.."bad touch" bloodhound gang.. when I was a kid we all used to run around the playground singing that song, not even thinking about the lyrics it was just the "discovery channel" song, we hit puberty like 2 years later and suddenly we were all like "holy crap.. and teachers LET us sing that song in school?" Haha

"Shake it" by metro station, I knew pretty quickly but not instantly..still love it though lol

I was also fooled by the "Afternoon Delight"! Also Madonna's "like a prayer" - I know it wasn't too long ago when I actually paid attention to the lyrics (in many cases for me it isn't that I don't understand the innuendo, I simply don't bother to listen to lyrics and only pay attention to the snappy tune) and I was like "yikes"! And then there were songs where I misunderstood a word or two - like ZZ Top's "Tush" - for the longest time I thought it was called "touch"; yeah, that surely is the asexual in me making that interpretation! Of course, for sexual people, "Touch" would logically also imply a song about sex as well.

The old-fashioned, non-crude songs of the 40s and 50s talked about "your charms". I still have no idea what "charms" referred to.

Everybody's Watson

Please don't hate me, but I honestly didn't know that Mambo #5 by Lou Bega or Tea Party by Kerli were about sex. Also Shake It by Metro Station totally went over my head. I just thought they had catchy tunes...

Sandraisme360

I bacicly a some all songs are about sex unless it is odvious it might be fun to listen to music thinking the songs are about somthing else. I have been wanted to be sexual to find a partner. Now that I can be asexual I can look at things differently. Could make listening fun.

Bicycle by Queen.

Bicycle by Queen.

Bicycle by Queen.

I'm pretty certain bicycle race is about something else entirely- than both sex and an actual bicycle race. I don't really remember what it actually is about, though. I'll find out sometime.

The song "Bicycle Race" itself to the best of my knowledge wasn't about sex. It was written by Freddie Mercury and was inspired when Freddie observed a stage of the 1978 Tour De France passing when the band was recording the "Jazz" album.

However, it became notable for it's music video, which had nude women riding bicycles at Wimbledom Stadium. The song was released as a double-A single with "Fat Bottomed Girls", a song which was referenced in the lyrics of 'Bicycle Race' - "Fat bottomed girls they'd be riding today, so look out for those beauties oh yeah!".

Oh thank goodness.

It's not just me.

Hmm. Notables are probably:

Like a Prayer (me too), She Bop (yep),

Surrender (really about venereal disease I'm told) "Mom and dad were rollin' on the couch" I guess I just pictured...wrestling over the remote or something.

Hot for Teacher, (Van Halen) believe it or not: "I brought my pencil, give me somethin' to write on, Baby" yeah, thought he actually meant pencil.

Mony Mony (Billy Idol)...until I learned the supplementary lyrics...

Custard Pie (Led Zeppelin) just figured that one out recently. "Gonna chew on a piece of your custard pie" (hint: not really pie)

Hurts So Good (John Cougar Mellencamp), "I ain't talkin' no high heels/We can walk around all day long/ Walk around all day long," (not really about walking in comfortable shoes)

Come Dancing (The Kinks) never really got why a guy would go dancing and feel that the night 'ended up in frustration' and he 'blew all his wages for the week' just 'cause he got 'a cuddle and a peck on the cheek'. Didn't he just want to dance? Yeah, no.

My Sherona (wow these sound sad in hindsight) from The Knack. "I always get it up for the touch of the younger kind" Get what up?

Little Red Corvette (Prince), in my defense when I heard this one I didn't know what condoms were... "'Cause you had a pocket full of horses/Trojan and some of them used" (I did get 'Darling Nicki' the first time, probably cause of the lack of euphemism.)

And, my personal favorite, I Get Excited by Rick Springfield. "You got my body dancing' tangos in three-four time/ This angel's gonna spread her wings tonight" This one I heard well after mandatory sex-ed...I just never really thought about it until my mom pointed out that as far as Rick Springfield goes its pretty explicit. Made more sense when I saw him in concert and he kinda spread his arms wide when he sang the 'spread her wings' line. Then I was like, "Oh..."

Honorable mention to One Night in Bangkok. NOT about sex. In fact it's about "chess is better than sex". Always liked: "I get my kicks above the waistline, Sunshine" Yeah, that's me.

I am so sorry, but I find this thread hilarious. To share my own:

My little brother told me to listen to the actual lyrics. Until I did, all I heard was a song about a car -_-

Lady Bookwyrm

OMG, there are so many... Some of it has to do with not being able to understand the lyrics due to poor pronunciation, accents, background noise, or whatever, but more often it's *insert sound of subtext whooshing over my head*

There are a few times (in her earlier work, anyway, not familiar with her more recent stuff) when Mariah Carey would sing about "honey." Took me years to realize she wasn't just referring to her lover being "sweet" but was actually referencing certain bodily fluids. (At least, I assume that's the case. I'm still not 100% certain, lol)

And yeah, Lady Gaga has some confusing stuff, too. I swear I heard her say once that "Edge of Glory" was inspired by her grandfather facing the end of his life with regrets about the road not taken, and the importance of living it up while you still can. But I'm sure it's about sex, too. What isn't? :p

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, "December 1963 (Oh, What a Night)"
This song is about Frankie losing his virginity. I always thought he just went out and found a lady to dance with (I guess he did).

Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "Relax"

I guess "Relax, don't do it, when you want to cum" just went right over my head.

Foghat, "Slow Ride"

You mean, he doesn't want her to drive the car slowly? Wow, I'm oblivious.

Foo Fighters, "All My Life"

It's about going down on a woman. I just found this out. Uggggghhh.

Deleted Person

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, "December 1963 (Oh, What a Night)"

This song is about Frankie losing his virginity. I always thought he just went out and found a lady to dance with (I guess he did).

Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "Relax"

I guess "Relax, don't do it, when you want to cum" just went right over my head.

Foghat, "Slow Ride"

You mean, he doesn't want her to drive the car slowly? Wow, I'm oblivious.

Foo Fighters, "All My Life"

It's about going down on a woman. I just found this out. Uggggghhh.

What? I thought "Oh, What a Night" was about falling in love/getting a crush for the first time! And "Relax" was just about being under pressure and wanting to give up... :wacko:

I... I have no words. Many of the songs I once held dear and thought to be clean are now... innuendos...
I remember a saying years ago that 99% of all songs are about sex. This thread is leading me to believe that statement more and more!

So apparently "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams is about a summer with a lot of sex. I did not know about this until senior year of high school because some friends at the time pointed it out. I'm still kind of skeptical about it though. I like to think that it is still about a guy who had a fun summer and his little innocent love life.

I was shocked when I found that out too, and I feel the same way. I've been listening to that song a long time before I found that out. I thought it was just about a guy reminiscing about his rock band in 1969, and I still want to think it is.

Just want to say..... Barbie girl by aqua and the fast food song xD

I've been so oblivious! I was listening to Barbie Girl as I typed this, and now noticed all the innuendo that previously flew over my head!

So apparently "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams is about a summer with a lot of sex. I did not know about this until senior year of high school because some friends at the time pointed it out. I'm still kind of skeptical about it though. I like to think that it is still about a guy who had a fun summer and his little innocent love life.

I was shocked when I found that out too, and I feel the same way. I've been listening to that song a long time before I found that out. I thought it was just about a guy reminiscing about his rock band in 1969, and I still want to think it is.

Just want to say..... Barbie girl by aqua and the fast food song xD

I've been so oblivious! I was listening to Barbie Girl as I typed this, and now noticed all the innuendo that previously flew over my head!

Here's the kicker about Bryan Adams. This song was co-written by him and another, but Adams himself would have been all of 10 years old in 1969 (having been born in 1959), so if the subject matter really is about sex, that's pretty pervy. However, yep, according to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_of_%2769#Conception_and_themes

When Adams appeared on The Early Show in 2008, he was asked about "Summer of '69" and its lyrical meaning. Adams confirmed the song was about sex and making love in the summertime. "69" is a reference to the sexual position, 69.[3] Vallance however has gone for the more conventional interpretation of the title being a reference to a year. He notes Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty", which contains references to 1965 and 1969, as his own influence, and recalls Adams citing the film Summer of '42 as his.[2]

Deleted Person
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_of_%2769#Conception_and_themes

When Adams appeared on The Early Show in 2008, he was asked about "Summer of '69" and its lyrical meaning. Adams confirmed the song was about sex and making love in the summertime. "69" is a reference to the sexual position, 69.[3] Vallance however has gone for the more conventional interpretation of the title being a reference to a year. He notes Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty", which contains references to 1965 and 1969, as his own influence, and recalls Adams citing the film Summer of '42 as his.[2]

...why did I click on that 69 link? What made me think I wanted to click on that? Why brain, why?

Archived