20/20 AIRDATE ANNOUNCED: 24th March

AVENguy

I gently suggest we face reality on this. Advertisers make much $$$ from eroticized advertising. Those sorts of adverts don't work well on most asexuals. Even if the percentage of asexuals goes from 1% to 2%, that's a doubling in the number of people that thier ads won't work on.

I'd think people that didn't know about asexuality that were asexual themselves would already not be affected by sexual advertizing. An asexuality special would just tell them they weren't crazy, not spontaneously remove their libido.

- Alan

I'm turned off by products that are advertised with highly sexual commercials (at least the ones I understand like hagen daaz, I didn't get the Essence one until reading about it on here).

But they really have no reason to bring us off the back burner - we didn't complain or express disappointment when they didn't air it (20/20 forum only had two posts from asexuals) and we aren't writing now telling them how we hope they air it soon.

Somtimes you have to take iniative, but from what i've seen all over this forum, we don't. Even when we all agree its a good idea to write no one seems willing to (visited the ask amy thread yet?)

Even when we all agree its a good idea to write no one seems willing to (visited the ask amy thread yet?)

Er... Well, I did offer. It was my thread after all.

LostPenguin

I suppose this would be easier if we knew of any other 20/20 shows and how much of a lag there was between the intial airing date and the ACTUAL airing date.

Well, it's not too late. If people here think that posting on the 20/20 boards to complain that the asexual show hasn't come on yet is a good idea, there's nothing stopping us.

Though it might be a good idea to email that woman first and see if she has anything to say... Though her last email of "I don't know when it'll be aired, but i'll be aired eventually!" was kind of ... distressing.

I gently suggest we face reality on this.

Paranoia is not reality.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Awww...I was hoping for an original response.

Where's that legendary ApolloSeek wit we're so fond of?

Awww...I was hoping for an original response.

Where's that legendary ApolloSeek wit we're so fond of?

If wish to speak to speak with me regarding this matter, please do so in

private messages. Baiting me in public is counterproductive.

Here is my take on this. If 20/20 wanted to air this they would have done it by now. They have had plenty of opportunity to do so and to continue this charade and fane ignorance is just digusting from my perspective. However, I would assume at this point that it has been vaulted and not ready to come out and we just may need to chalk this up to lesson learned and next time to get such things in writing and to just move on.

-ASF

But they really have no reason to bring us off the back burner - we didn't complain or express disappointment when they didn't air it (20/20 forum only had two posts from asexuals) and we aren't writing now telling them how we hope they air it soon.

Somtimes you have to take iniative, but from what i've seen all over this forum, we don't. Even when we all agree its a good idea to write no one seems willing to (visited the ask amy thread yet?)

I have written to them.

Don't lose hope!!! News will slow down, we are just a slow news week- back burner- well theres nothing else to air- kinda story. Besides asexual has sex in it which can only work to our advantage, right?

If wish to speak to speak with me regarding this matter, please do so in private messages. Baiting me in public is counterproductive.

Counterproductive? I wasn't aware that I was trying to be productive.

Lighten up. I'm just messing with you. You should know by now that half of what I say is tongue-in-cheek (the other half I say under my breath so nobody can hear me).

Blue Ice-Tea

Friday, March 24: A Lifetime of Abstinence? JuJu Chang reports on people who say they simply have no interest in sex.

Friday, March 24: A Lifetime of Abstinence? JuJu Chang reports on people who say they simply have no interest in sex.

Abstinence? Is that us, really? Oh well! At least they are airing it.

Hallucigenia

Well, they did put a question mark after "abstinence". Hopefully they will be able to mention scenarios (such as sexual/asexual marriage) in which asexuals do have sex, without confusing the viewers too much.

But you must admit that most asexuals would prefer a lifetime of abstinence if there weren't all those pesky sexuals who wanted to sleep with them, and many are celibate anyway...

Well, they did put a question mark after "abstinence". Hopefully they will be able to mention scenarios (such as sexual/asexual marriage) in which asexuals do have sex, without confusing the viewers too much.

But you must admit that most asexuals would prefer a lifetime of abstinence if there weren't all those pesky sexuals who wanted to sleep with them, and many are celibate anyway...

I completely see your point, it's just that I've always thought that abstinence meant refraining from doing sth. you want to do. So it just seemed a weird choice of a word to me.

But you are right, there is a question mark.

And what do you think the odds are that my roommate won't start watching something else, turn off the power strip to the tv, or get on the computer (the way its set up you can't have the tv on at the same time).

He'll screw it up somehow. I know it.

I'm sort of a closeted asexual.... will there be some way to see the segment online? Better yet, would there be a way to download the segment? My family never watches 20/20 and it would be a little odd for me to turn the TV on or change the channel for it with no explanation.

But anyway, WOOT! They're finally getting the word out there! I really want asexuality to become a well known thing.

Lady Heartilly

*gasp* We're in luck!

I'm home this week only because it's my Spring Break, and being home means that I can record it on DVD and get it online! I wouldn't have been able to do this any other week!

You know, I haven't recieved any official notification about this. . . . I wonder if any of the other people involved have. . . . The producer did say that she would email me once she had a definate date. So. . . Either she forgot about that, or else this is a tentative date. . . .

bard of aven

I wouldn't worry, Keith. The way the corporate world works, they may not have told the producer yet.

boa

Lady Heartilly, if you can record the segment, that would be totally freaking awesome.

I'll be working Aggiecon when it airs.

Archived