Can we rename the Older Asexuals Forum the 25+ or 30+ Forum?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Edited to new preferred name suggestion from Adult Asexual Forum to 25+ or 30+ forum.

The name older asexuals puts the picture in my mind of geriatrics in nursing homes sitting in rocking chairs trying to remember where they are.

Obviously I mean no offense to those geriatrics who do that but it does not really reflect the true nature of the Older Forum here at Aven. And then you have the grey area I remember when I first joined I thought that was a forum for people who's hair was going grey!

Anyway I think renaming the Older Forum the Adult Forum would be a more accurate label for what it is! Anyway that's my brief rant, I feel better now, sighs....

The name older asexuals puts the picture in my mind of geriatrics in nursing homes sitting in rocking chairs trying to remember where they are.

Obviously I mean no offense to those geriatrics who do that but it does not really reflect the true nature of the Older Forum here at Aven. And then you have the grey area I remember when I first joined I thought that was a forum for people who's hair was going grey!

Anyway I think renaming the Older Forum the Adult Forum would be a more accurate label for what it is! Anyway that's my brief rant, I feel better now, sighs....

I don't come over much, cause it seems for asexuals only...I know that's not true of course. But I still think it.

I don't suppose the title could just be Adults Forum? ^_^

Beachwalker

I don't come over much, cause it seems for asexuals only...I know that's not true of course. But I still think it.

I don't suppose the title could just be Adults Forum? ^_^

Good point and agree 100% :)

Leit Að Lífi

I'm 22, I am legally an adult, do I count as adult asexual? Would this forum be geared towards me? Okay I've been here a months or so and already realise this forum is generally for older adults, but if a newbie was to come in would they know this? Probably not, would the result be that this forum becomes pretty similar to Q+A, musings and rantings etc.?

IMO renaming it wouldn't work due to semantics, as it would end up being for everyone except teens...

Or is that what you're after? ;)

EDIT: How about Mature asexuals?

Beachwalker

I'm 22, I am legally an adult, do I count as adult asexual? Would this forum be geared towards me? Okay I've been here a months or so and already realise this forum is generally for older adults, but if a newbie was to come in would they know this? Probably not, would the result be that this forum becomes pretty similar to Q+A, musings and rantings etc.?

IMO renaming it wouldn't work due to semantics, as it would end up being for everyone except teens...

Or is that what you're after? ;)

EDIT: How about Mature asexuals?

Actually from memory the word 'Older' at Aven does kind of mean not a teen. But outside Aven I don't think many people under the age of ? 60 consider themselves an older adult. I am not technically middle aged yet and I don't consider myself an older adult. But my forum of preference is this one because this is where I feel more comfortable posting. I think the word 'older' is misleading to new members.

TheTeaCritter

Why not just rename it to 30+ or 40+ or something.... I'm on a number of forums that have sections that break down like 15-18, 18-22, 22-30, 30-45, etc etc.... but we could probably just make it simple and do a 40+ forum. Then you can't offend people because it's a number and not a matter of "well am I an adult? am I mature? am I older?"

Finding myself

Could have a name which actually states a lower age - like 30 ?

Personally I like older asexual as the name of the forum. It doesn't bring to my mind the stereotypical picture of an old person.

The names adult and mature rub me the wrong way but I'm not sure why. Maybe because I might have interest in interacting with an immature and not adult like person who is older? Or maybe I find mature and adult as euphemisms for being older so why not just be up front about it and just say older??

Cathy

I actually don't mind the name Older Asexuals.

I think the forum is for those about 30+, I don't picture people in nursing homes at all. Naming it Adult Asexuals would be for anyone 18+, and then there's almost no point to the forum because you have the majority of people who fit in to that, and you take away the forums purpose for those middle age +.

Just my opinion. Also, Maybe 30+ Asexuals (or 40+ whatever) would be alright.

I think Adult implies that its anyone over the age of 18. I'm 24 (so close to 25) but I don't generally enter the "Older Forum" since I assume the age starts at about 30 (From one of the threads I think) and goes upwards from there. I don't really picture geriatrics at all. But I also don't think that 30 is old, and neither is 40. I think about 60+ is old. So I could see how it would feel odd to be labeled old at 30 but I don't think Adult or Mature are really good choices. Because Mature implies that people who aren't in that forum are immature which isn't fair. There are people of every age group who are mature and some who are immature. So Mature doesn't seem fair either.

Personally I like older asexual as the name of the forum. It doesn't bring to my mind the stereotypical picture of an old person.

The names adult and mature rub me the wrong way but I'm not sure why. Maybe because I might have interest in interacting with an immature and not adult like person who is older? Or maybe I find mature and adult as euphemisms for being older so why not just be up front about it and just say older??

Cathy

Exactly. I myself hate the word "senior". It sounds cutesy and patronizing. We don't call non-old people juniors; why should I be called senior? If I go to a movie I say I'm a senior because I pay less, but I hate it.

So Older Asexuals is fine with me. Old Asexuals would be fine with me also, but that wouldn't cover the 30-year-olds.

herpaderderderderder

Cathy

Oh... hm. I didn't think about that, haha. I guess 'adult' and 'mature' could be taken the wrong way.

When I first joined AVEN eight months ago, I immediately thought this forum was for people sixty and over. It wasn't until I actually checked out this forum that I realized that that wasn't the case.

A couple of nice synonyms for 'older': Experienced, seasoned. The rest of the synonyms I found for older sound rather negative. E.g., ancient, broken down, debilitated, decrepit, fossil, impaired, senile etc.

Actually, another nice synonym for older that I just noticed: Skilled. And yet another good that I just noticed: Versed.

[A couple of nice synonyms for 'older': Experienced, seasoned. The rest of the synonyms I found for older sound rather negative. E.g., ancient, broken down, debilitated, decrepit, fossil, impaired, senile etc.

Actually, another nice synonym for older that I just noticed: Skilled. And yet another good that I just noticed: Versed.[/color]

Why do we need synonyms? From the comments above, it doesn't seem like asexuals who are actually older dislike the name. What would "skilled asexuals" mean? Being asexual isn't a skill you develop, nor do you become "versed" in being asexual.

Older Asexuals simply means, to me, that I can find some people in that thread who are older than 15. With the predominance of teens on AVEN, that's pretty valuable.

Nico-Nico Friendo

You could call it the "30+ Forum" or "Ages 30 and Up" or "Over 30" forum or something like that.

Beachwalker

You could call it the "30+ Forum" or "Ages 30 and Up" or "Over 30" forum or something like that.

Yeh something like that would reflect more actually whom the forum is geared towards. And drop asexual from the name like Ladygirl suggested. We all know we are at an asexual website but the Older Asexual forum isn't just for asexual members. Partners, family friends are all welcome.

test account

Yeah 30 + or something like it would be good. I don't like "Older asexuals" either, because Old has negative connotations in this youth crazed world. Mature and Adult might sound like its the X rated part of the site. Do we need to start at 30 though? How about 25+ ? We have some regulars who are in their late twenties. I don't know. Is that making the rest of the site look like a kiddie haven? Come to that, why don't we have a teen forum instead as tbe 'special case' membership?

test account

Mature and Adult might sound like its the X rated part of the site.

Hahaha. That just made me laugh out loud. It'd be hilarious if AVEN actually had an X-rated section... :P

I tell you what, there's probably some TMI threads that could go in there to start it off! :lol:

Beachwalker

Mature and Adult might sound like its the X rated part of the site.

Hahaha. That just made me laugh out loud. It'd be hilarious if AVEN actually had an X-rated section... :P

:lol:

I still prefer the current name. How can we combat the youth craze if we older folks are not willing to own being older? Isn't not wanting to be thought old supporting the concept that young is better?

Cathy

Midnight Lady

Yeah 30 + or something like it would be good. I don't like "Older asexuals" either, because Old has negative connotations in this youth crazed world. Mature and Adult might sound like its the X rated part of the site. Do we need to start at 30 though? How about 25+ ? We have some regulars who are in their late twenties. I don't know. Is that making the rest of the site look like a kiddie haven? Come to that, why don't we have a teen forum instead as tbe 'special case' membership?

Thank you for remembering about me (26. 27 in June)... ;) I would say that if to go with any number (25+, 30+), then in the comment it should be mentioned that any age is still welcome... :)

Beachwalker

I still prefer the current name. How can we combat the youth craze if we older folks are not willing to own being older? Isn't not wanting to be thought old supporting the concept that young is better?

Cathy

I don't think being younger is better but the word older can mean many different things to people. Aven is a difficult place to navigate initially especially if you are computer illiterate which older members are more likely to be. This can make it even more difficult to connect with others. By renaming the forum with a more mutually understood label it may help new members find somewhere they feel they belong easier.

I don't think being younger is better but the word older can mean many different things to people. Aven is a difficult place to navigate initially especially if you are computer illiterate which older members are more likely to be. This can make it even more difficult to connect with others. By renaming the forum with a more mutually understood label it may help new members find somewhere they feel they belong easier.

Um, no, please don't talk about older members being computer illiterate (even some of them). I haven't found AVEN difficult to navigate, and if older members are here, it means we're HERE -- which we somehow figured out how to be.

test account

Lets overtake AVEN, scrap the Older forum, and introduce a teen forum instead :twisted: That will make the rest of us the 'ordinary' members, with a special zone for the young people--who will need to sit an entrance exam and graduate before we let them step foot on the rest of the site. Hahahaha just kidding! ;)

Or am I? :lol:

Beachwalker

Um, no, please don't talk about older members being computer illiterate (even some of them). I haven't found AVEN difficult to navigate, and if older members are here, it means we're HERE -- which we somehow figured out how to be.

Obviously then Sally you are way more intelligent and wordly than I, because I actually found it quite difficult and I do consider myself computer illiterate but learning.

Beachwalker

Lets overtake AVEN, scrap the Older forum, and introduce a teen forum instead :twisted: That will make the rest of us the 'ordinary' members, with a special zone for the young people--who will need to sit an entrance exam and graduate before we let them step foot on the rest of the site. Hahahaha just kidding! ;)

:ph34r: or maybe the entry requirement could be one strand of grey hair?

CompassRose

Cathy

I see your point. If changing our name is due to bowing to a cultural value judgement, it would feel like a defeat. I don't see that as the motivation, though.

I totally agree that I don't like the suggestion of "mature asexuals," since "you're only young once, but you can be immature forever." And I proudly claim the right to be immature at times. Similarly, I'm not crazy about "adult asexuals."

25+, on the other hand, does seem much more inclusive, which I like very much. I like that sexuals hang out here as well as asexuals. I like that we tend to have more life experience to share. Personally, I've known since I got to AVEN that I'm an older asexual, but I can see that there are people in a middle demographic who might not realize they are welcome here unless they come in and look around for a while. So if changing the name would help them feel welcome, I'm fine with it. But I don't feel strongly about it.

Are we voting? If we are, put me down for one of ^^these^^.

Are we voting? If we are, put me down for one of ^^these^^.

Haha, we had a thread about a teen forum months ago... They REALLY disliked the idea :P

Archived