Are you Aromantic or Romantic?

mylittlehazmat

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you Aromantic or Romantic?

• Aromantic
    • Romantic
    • Demiromantic
    • Unsure
  2. 2. If Romantic or Demiromantic, what subcategory?

• Homoromantic
    • Heteroromantic
    • Panromantic
    • Biromantic
    • Not listed (please comment).
    • Selected Aromantic or Unsure above
    • Unsure (chose Romantic)
    • Unsure (chose Demiromantic)
  3. 3. Not particularly related, but how do you identify your gender?

• Cis-female
    • Cis-male
    • Androgyne
    • Neutrois
    • Transfemale
    • Transmale
    • Genderqueer
    • Not listed (please comment).
    • Would rather not answer.
    • Unsure

This poll is closed to new votes

mylittlehazmat

I've become very curious as to the general romantic/gender demographics on AVEN. It's hard to tell what's what just from my own surfing around the site. :c This poll doesn't really have much of a point, except to satisfy my own curiosity.

I'm sorry if any sexuals feel left out because I'd rather only asexuals respond, but I'm only curious about the asexual demographics. Sorry. :cake:

Also, what do you think the results will be/what do you think of the results? Do they match up with what you think of AVEN? Any comments? x3

/uninteresting rant

Glossary:

Cis-male and Cis-female: someone who is biologically and mentally matching genders, or another mentally gendered person who feels alright in another "body" as it were. Ex. A male-minded person could still identify as cis-female if they felt no body dysphoria.

Androgyne: Someone who fits inbetween both genders, or switches between both, or in some way flits along the continuum from female to male.

Neutrois: Neither male nor female, synonomous with nongender.

My apologies for using apparently obscure terms, but I did want to include everyone. Does it scare people that I've thought of more I could have included after the fact? :P

Hopelessly romantic young man, in short. This poll might not have an obvious point, but it's always nice to see quantifiable statistics, isn't it?

mylittlehazmat

Hopelessly romantic young man, in short. This poll might not have an obvious point, but it's always nice to see quantifiable statistics, isn't it?

Yes, yes it is. :) Thank you for pointing that out, I was like ... but wait, I have to do something! No one is going to want to post! XD

But that reminds me. I should probably post my own stats. Aromantic cis-female. :)

WünderBâhr

Topic moved to Census Forum. You may continue posting/commenting in the thread, there. Thank you.

Bipolar Bear

Admin

mylittlehazmat

A cis-female is a "normal" female, yea. A biological female who either identifies as female mentally, or is okay with being in a female body.

nice to see the Yada contingent represented, mylittlehazmat. much appreciated.

romantic here, definitely. i put heteroromantic, because the relationship i have with the person i'll spend the rest of my life with is heteroromantic; but it's more complicated than that. i suppose i'm panromantic in that theoretically i have the capacity to be romantically attracted to anyone, but it's never really worked out that way in practice. the homoromantic relationships i've had have been based on a weird combination of friendship and envy rather than actual romantic attraction, and i've never had a genuine non-binary attraction, although i wouldn't have ruled it out on principle. these days i say it's pretty much a moot point, call myself Serafine-romantic, and have done with it.

Hetero-romantic cis female, though I don't rule out non-binary attraction, and have been quite attracted to a trans guy in the past. Basically, the sum of my lifelong attractions consists of cis and trans guys and the occasional very androgynous woman, whose boyishness was what attracted me--so I stick with hetero.

And I thought I had learned all of the names for the different orientations by now... Clearly my judgement was in error.

Asexual Aromantic Agnostic Cis-male here!

Only about half a year ago the only terms I knew were straight and gay, and bi to an extent too, lol.

Demi-biromantic cis female here, though I may be demi-panromantic. Not sure, so I'm going with bi until I know for sure.

mylittlehazmat

nice to see the Yada contingent represented, mylittlehazmat. much appreciated.

romantic here, definitely. i put heteroromantic, because the relationship i have with the person i'll spend the rest of my life with is heteroromantic; but it's more complicated than that. i suppose i'm panromantic in that theoretically i have the capacity to be romantically attracted to anyone, but it's never really worked out that way in practice. the homoromantic relationships i've had have been based on a weird combination of friendship and envy rather than actual romantic attraction, and i've never had a genuine non-binary attraction, although i wouldn't have ruled it out on principle. these days i say it's pretty much a moot point, call myself Serafine-romantic, and have done with it.

I wanted everyone represented, P. :P I hate surveys where you can't find your answer and have to go with "next best". :rolleyes: That said, I'm not sure I could have forseen you taking the survey and putting a preemptive "Serafine-romantic" in, but my apologies all the same. :lol:

And I thought I had learned all of the names for the different orientations by now... Clearly my judgement was in error.

Asexual Aromantic Agnostic Cis-male here!

Only about half a year ago the only terms I knew were straight and gay, and bi to an extent too, lol.

I know exactly what you mean. But things always get a little bit hairy when you add in gender identity, too. And not many people would know of cis-genders, I would imagine. Why would you talk about being fine in your own body? There's no conflict, no story! xD It only comes in handy when creepers like me start asking around. ;)

There's a cool orientation poll here as well.

Hmm... with just a tidbit of uncertainty, heteroromantic cis-male.

That is quite interesting, thank you. Fascinating that the results so far have heteroromantic in the majority, with aromantic not that far behind ... ;O

it isn't particularly pertinent in terms of this poll; but if we're talking about terminology, i'll point out that often, when dealing with the romantic attractions of transpeople, it's easier to refer to the gender of the object of attraction rather than to that of the person experiencing the attraction. pan- or bi-romantic works across the board, of course, but otherwise the terms would be androromantic for an attraction to those identifying as male, and gyneromantic for attraction to those identifying as female.

if it sounds like that's just inventing a lot of fancy terms that just end up making everything more complicated, consider how difficult it is for a transperson with a non-binary identity, for example, to know how to articulate their attraction--if they don't identify as male or female themself, how on earth can they say whether their attraction is homo- or heteroromantic? it's much simpler to describe the type of person to whom they're attracted than to try to describe the nature of that attraction.

it's all very complicated initially, i grant you, but it's complicated with the ultimate goal of making things easier to understand, rather than more difficult.

mylittlehazmat

it isn't particularly pertinent in terms of this poll; but if we're talking about terminology, i'll point out that often, when dealing with the romantic attractions of transpeople, it's easier to refer to the gender of the object of attraction rather than to that of the person experiencing the attraction. pan- or bi-romantic works across the board, of course, but otherwise the terms would be androromantic for an attraction to those identifying as male, and gyneromantic for attraction to those identifying as female.

if that sounds like all that is coming up with a lot of fancy terms that just end up making everything more confusing, consider how difficult it is for a transperson with a non-binary identity, for example, to know how to articulate their attraction--if they don't identify as male or female themself, how on earth can they say whether their attraction is homo- or heteroromantic? it's much simpler to describe the type of person to whom they're attracted than to try to describe the nature of that attraction.

it's all very complicated initially, i grant you, but it's complicated with the ultimate goal of making things easier to understand, rather than more difficult.

Honestly, no. That makes more sense. It would be easier for everyone to use the terms androromantic (or androsexual, for sexuals) and gyneromantic, gynesexual. But I hadn't heard of those before, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of them when putting all the options in. Too late to change it now. :C

If you had I would have gone away. I had to do research to figure the cis out (its 3:30 am here, so I'm sleepy).

aromantic cis-male.

mylittlehazmat

If you had I would have gone away. I had to do research to figure the cis out (its 3:30 am here, so I'm sleepy).

aromantic cis-male.

I guess I've learned my lesson. :P If ever I am to make a poll using such unfamiliar search terms again, I'll include a glossary. ;)

Ase of Spades

Heteroromantic cis-female who openly defies nearly every gender role and stereotype. :lol:

aromantic cis-male.

I guess I've learned my lesson. :P If ever I am to make a poll using such unfamiliar search terms again, I'll include a glossary. ;)

They aren't unfamiliar terms though. They're all over AVEN. Not kidding. There's a lot of trans and genderqueer people around. Well, most of it. I'm not sure how a person can be cis-(type of genderqueer). If they're intesex, I suppose. But that's the only thing I've not seen before (and worth looking into out of this thread).

TheBlueGreenie

This poll and its sub-categories are more confusing than the Census. I am aromantic and male (just the regular kind) and there are two people in my household.

mylittlehazmat

aromantic cis-male.

They aren't unfamiliar terms though. They're all over AVEN. Not kidding. There's a lot of trans and genderqueer people around. Well, most of it. I'm not sure how a person can be cis-(type of genderqueer). If they're intesex, I suppose. But that's the only thing I've not seen before (and worth looking into out of this thread).

Well. I thought of it as, someone can look at their body and not say it's female or male. I wasn't asking after sex, after all. So even with female or male sex organs, one might think of ones body as neither gender, or a bit of both. IDK. It's probably incorrect. xD

Panromantic here. I chose "Not listed" for gender as I am genderqueer; I do not identify as androgyne (though I did at one point) or as transyada.

(Honestly - and this is said with absolutely no intention of offense towards the yadas or the poll maker - I'm beginning to feel slightly put off what with all of the trans "others" suddenly being put in the yada category.)

I am definitely romantic, and cis-female, but I can't really decide what subcategory I fall under.

I am aesthetically attracted to females more, and at one point I was more romantically attracted to males, but I think that's started to change. I chose biromantic above, because it seems to fit right now (and honestly I can't say if I'm more panromantic than biromantic, since I haven't known too many people who fall outside of the two-genders idea, at least openly.)

It's interesting to see that cis-female is the leader. I'm honestly surprised by that.

I'm a ciswoman and have no romantic orientation (ie, I don't find the concept of romantic orientation to be personally useful).

Aromantic cis-male here.

Archived