National Coming Out Day (October 11th)

+Lee

At 9:32, is there meant to be something on the screen you are pointing at?

For the flag, I'm not sure why you left grey-a/demi until last, especially since you already explained those three colours in the previous shot about the triangle. And those three together make up our community (the purple).

And just so you know, the first time the Mysterious Voice came on, it scared the crap out of me :D.

Good video :) :cake: can't wait to hear the reactions to it :)

Yes, I added annotations... I guess they don't show up. >___<

It was just the order I typed it, I didn't realize that I potentially did some thing bad.

Hahahaha, you know that is my voice with a pitch change XD.

Thank you. :) I'm afraid If I do link to it on FB, I will get no reactions though....

Eh... I deleted my video. I'm not that happy with it and it's making me more nervous about the day. Plus, I'd rather get those questions because, it's a response. One of my worries is no one will respond and having a video that answers questions they might have is one way to not get them.

I'll work on the idea though, and make a simple asexuality 101 video instead of both a coming out and asexy 101.

Okay, I've talked with my friend and have more or less committed to coming out properly on October 11th. Well, as properly as I can over facebook. :P My current plan of attack is to basically make my status something along the lines of "It's National Coming Out Day, and I'm coming out as asexual" and then linking to a livejournal where I explain myself properly. While 90% of the people on my facebook are friends from a forum I'm on that already know that I'm asexual (or at least know of asexuality), the other 10% are either friends from my old school or...my mother. :S And a couple other family members, but I don't think they actually look at my page that often so if they see it it will totally be by accident. I'm very certain my mom will see it, even if it is not right away. Fairly certain those friends will see too. Oh, and one guy I talk to in college. I don't know if he will see it or not. I'm not familiar with his facebook stalking tendencies.

But yes! I guess I'm in. Wish me...luck and courage and things I guess. I'll take this week to write my LJ entry and have it proofread by my heterosexual friend to make sure it makes sense from that standpoint.

Ffff I don't know whether to be excited or terrified.

Both? But yay, go you. I will stalk it and like it like cake *huggles*

I thought it was a pretty brilliant video Ellie C: Would you mind me on the day linking to your asexuality 101 video if you make it? I'm considering being extra obnoxious to my facebook people (since I technically came out during Visibility Week).

Okay, I've talked with my friend and have more or less committed to coming out properly on October 11th. Well, as properly as I can over facebook. :P My current plan of attack is to basically make my status something along the lines of "It's National Coming Out Day, and I'm coming out as asexual" and then linking to a livejournal where I explain myself properly. While 90% of the people on my facebook are friends from a forum I'm on that already know that I'm asexual (or at least know of asexuality), the other 10% are either friends from my old school or...my mother. :S And a couple other family members, but I don't think they actually look at my page that often so if they see it it will totally be by accident. I'm very certain my mom will see it, even if it is not right away. Fairly certain those friends will see too. Oh, and one guy I talk to in college. I don't know if he will see it or not. I'm not familiar with his facebook stalking tendencies.

But yes! I guess I'm in. Wish me...luck and courage and things I guess. I'll take this week to write my LJ entry and have it proofread by my heterosexual friend to make sure it makes sense from that standpoint.

Aww, me either!! *hug* I do have a lot of family and friends on FB though....

Both? But yay, go you. I will stalk it and like it like cake *huggles*

I thought it was a pretty brilliant video Ellie C: Would you mind me on the day linking to your asexuality 101 video if you make it? I'm considering being extra obnoxious to my facebook people (since I technically came out during Visibility Week).

Oh.... Thank you!!

I feel bad now for deleting it... how about I re-work it as just an asexuality 101 then?

trisarahtops

I need to try and throw myself back into this and decide 100% that this is the way to go. There are just so many people that I don't know if it would be better for them to hear it in person.

I don't want to chicken out of this. I'm still favouring the let me google that for you link. We'll see..

I need to try and throw myself back into this and decide 100% that this is the way to go. There are just so many people that I don't know if it would be better for them to hear it in person.

I don't want to chicken out of this. I'm still favouring the let me google that for you link. We'll see..

*high fives* Do it Sarah! :) I decided to do it even though it scares me, and a lot of my family would probably rather I tell them in person, but I'm coming out to people before then if I can.

(I already came out to my Dad in person last Sunday, and frankly that's all I care about. Otherwise I would like to do it in person with my friends, but they don't really care about me that much so....)

:)

trisarahtops

(I already came out to my Dad in person last Sunday, and frankly that's all I care about. Otherwise I would like to do it in person with my friends, but they don't really care about me that much so....)

:o awww Ellie. Still mucho congrats to you about your dad though!!

annwyl_cariad

I probably won't do anything on Facebook, apart from a status saying "Happy National Coming Out Day!" or something. There are a lot of distant family members that I'm friends with on there who simply do not need to know. I might change my profile picture to show off the black ring. (Along with the rest of the hand, of course. Not just the finger with the ring on it. Because that would be rude.) That way people can look it up if they feel so inclined. Most of the people that I explicitly want to know this about me already know.

As far as real-world stuff, I've decided I'm going to dress pretty ace-tastical Monday. I'll try to see if I can hunt down a purple plaid shirt this weekend to wear with a vest I've got, and I ordered some buttons that (hopefully) will be here by then that have the ace flag and rainbow flag on them that I'll put on my bag. I won't say anything about it, just let people ask me if they want to. That's generally how I am about my sexuality anyway...I'll just be putting the flag buttons out there so people feel comfortable starting the conversation if they want. And the LGBTQ society here is holding an event that evening that I'm gonna go to as well.

Also, congrats on coming out to your dad, Ellie! :)

:o awww Ellie. Still mucho congrats to you about your dad though!!

:) Thanks Sarah!

I probably won't do anything on Facebook, apart from a status saying "Happy National Coming Out Day!" or something. There are a lot of distant family members that I'm friends with on there who simply do not need to know. I might change my profile picture to show off the black ring. (Along with the rest of the hand, of course. Not just the finger with the ring on it. Because that would be rude.) That way people can look it up if they feel so inclined. Most of the people that I explicitly want to know this about me already know.

As far as real-world stuff, I've decided I'm going to dress pretty ace-tastical Monday. I'll try to see if I can hunt down a purple plaid shirt this weekend to wear with a vest I've got, and I ordered some buttons that (hopefully) will be here by then that have the ace flag and rainbow flag on them that I'll put on my bag. I won't say anything about it, just let people ask me if they want to. That's generally how I am about my sexuality anyway...I'll just be putting the flag buttons out there so people feel comfortable starting the conversation if they want. And the LGBTQ society here is holding an event that evening that I'm gonna go to as well.

Also, congrats on coming out to your dad, Ellie! :)

Thank you. :) That's a cool idea!

Dang it, why does this have to be a day I have off from school? I won't be on campus so no one will see my asexual pride-wear. Which consists of me sticking an ace card to my forehead...

I would totally do this, but October 11 is Thanksgiving in Canada so it would be kinda awkward to come out. "Happy Thanksgiving! Also, I'm asexual and you'll probably never have grandchildren." No thanks. And I doubt I'll be seeing any friends that day, so I'd have to do it on Facebook, but again, it would be kinda awkward doing it on Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll do it the day after or something.

Maybe I'll do it the day after or something.

In Britain it actually is held on the day after, so maybe that would make it more Canadian as well. -_-

Maybe I'll do it the day after or something.

In Britain it actually is held on the day after, so maybe that would make it more Canadian as well. -_-

I was about to say that myself.

It stinks that it's the same day as thanksgiving in Canada.

I've been thinking I might walk around with "asexual" written on my forehead.

Am I brave enough? Hell yeah.

Am I patient enough to explain asexuality to everyone who asks about it or gives me a weird look? That remains to be seen...

:lol: Now that's bold!

I think you should only explain it to people who actually say something though. I mean you're already walking around with it on your forehead, so the ball's in their court at that point. I think people you know will ask you about it and strangers who are too shy to ask will just stare at you and then look it up on their own if they are really curious. But just don't let the silent stares or weird looks from people get you down or anything. They will probably be because you have writing on your forehead, rather than because you're ace.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes, will you?

:lol: Now that's bold!

I think you should only explain it to people who actually say something though. I mean you're already walking around with it on your forehead, so the ball's in their court at that point. I think people you know will ask you about it and strangers who are too shy to ask will just stare at you and then look it up on their own if they are really curious. But just don't let the silent stares or weird looks from people get you down or anything. They will probably be because you have writing on your forehead, rather than because you're ace.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes, will you?

Yeah, I was only planning on talking about it if someone else said something first. But I don't think I'm going to be able to do it. D: I'm going to be home from school that day and I'm not exactly out to my family. Well, it would actually be a great opportunity to come out to my parents, but I don't know if I'm ready for the hassle of explaining it all. I've already said things like "I'm not a very sexual person" to them. It's easier to talk to strangers about it I guess.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah why are Coming Out Day--and AVED--always over Fall Break at my school and almost nobody sees the shirt I bought from the AVEN store?

annwyl_cariad

Ohmigod guys I am so excited right now. I'm not sure if the flag buttons I ordered will be here in time (there was a problem with my order apparently, which is super uncool, and I'm not sure if they ship on Saturdays) but today I was out shopping to try and find a purple plaid shirt and I saw these acetacular shoes for $10. OMG guys.

PA080028sm.jpg

So, I'm wearing those. Along with the purple plaid shirt I got and the buttons, if they've made it by then.

annwyl_cariad

I got them at Claire's, but they're knockoff Converse, so they're basically unisex. I'm not sure if all their products are sold at all stores though. I had never seen shoes like this before there.

Lord Happy Toast

Via google, I've found two kinds of men's purple plaid shoes, though only one comes in my size. (I don't know much about unisex shoes, but my understanding is it is hard to get women's shoes in my size--I happen to wear the same size as my grandma, and I think she just buys men's shoes. I found out we wear the same size when, a couple years ago, I got some handmedowns from her.)

annwyl_cariad

Yeah, I guess that's a good point if they're technically unisex but designed for women/sold in a store geared towards women...they probably won't come bigger than a men's 8 or so (US sizing).

Ohmigod guys I am so excited right now. I'm not sure if the flag buttons I ordered will be here in time (there was a problem with my order apparently, which is super uncool, and I'm not sure if they ship on Saturdays) but today I was out shopping to try and find a purple plaid shirt and I saw these acetacular shoes for $10. OMG guys.

PA080028sm.jpg

So, I'm wearing those. Along with the purple plaid shirt I got and the buttons, if they've made it by then.

I got them at Claire's, but they're knockoff Converse, so they're basically unisex. I'm not sure if all their products are sold at all stores though. I had never seen shoes like this before there.

:o :o :o

Those are AWESOME

And at Claires!?!? :o

annwyl_cariad

Those are AWESOME

Yeah, at Claires! I hardly ever shop there but dropped in today thinking I might pick up a scarf or something. I actually gasped out loud when I saw these and nearly dropped my shopping bag from the other store, haha. I've been looking for shoes like these for months, and I had practically given up on finding any. They only had two pairs in stock and one was in my size. It was like, fate, or something.

Now I need to go get something for NCOD! Need to buy a purple and black plaid shirt. LOVE those shoes!!! Not sure what I'll do on Facebook, got the weekend to think about it!

Those shoes. I need a pair of those! And yeah, it was definitely fate.

I don't even use Facebook anymore, so I'll just come out to some people in real life.

annwyl_cariad

Where did folks find the black rings? I would love to get one!

I have three. I ordered two of them off Amazon and bought the other from a random booth at a conference. Sometimes they sell hematite ones at museums, as well.

The LGBT group on my campus made shirts at our last meeting to wear on National Coming Out Day. On mine, I wrote "This is what an asexual looks like." Hoorah for visibility.

Those are AWESOME

Yeah, at Claires! I hardly ever shop there but dropped in today thinking I might pick up a scarf or something. I actually gasped out loud when I saw these and nearly dropped my shopping bag from the other store, haha. I've been looking for shoes like these for months, and I had practically given up on finding any. They only had two pairs in stock and one was in my size. It was like, fate, or something.

Nice!! I think if I have time tom, I am going to Claire's.

Now I need to go get something for NCOD! Need to buy a purple and black plaid shirt. LOVE those shoes!!! Not sure what I'll do on Facebook, got the weekend to think about it!

I need something too! Maybe I'll just wear my pin or ring, and I always wear my ace bracelet so.

Hmm.... still nervous about the Facebook thing, but going to do it anyway. :/

Archived