Hetalia

Latvia

Seriously, am I the only one who's okay with my stereotype? Fast food, bad manners, selfish hero complex, not very bright, somewhat lazy. Not very nice, is it? But I look at it and go "Mmyep, I can see where they'd get that." Just like I can see where most of the stereotypes come from. But I don't think all, or even most people are like the stereotypes. They're just that: A stereotype. They're not based in enough fact to be accurate, but in just enough to be funny.

And now, just because I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmfu3Jj6vHo

Fuck yeah. :angry:

^ I love Hetalia, and I love the character America. I think the stereotypical qualities given to him are amazing. I think it's idiotic when people get offended by Hetalia, or say history is TOO SRS BUSINESS to be made fun of. Then again, some people in general need to learn how to take a joke.

My local cosplay group is doing Hetalia (and Vocaloid) cosplay. I proudly represent our America.

Awesome! *salutes you*

One thing that really bothers me is when people complain that they leave certain things out. Liiike the holocaust... "They make Germany too nice! They don't even mention the holocaust! I'm offended!" ...what? It's a comedy. Wouldn't talking about the holocaust in a comedy be more offensive? Obviously certain things are going to be left out.

Oh, speaking of cosplay, there were Hetalia cosplayers at OMGcon this year, and their Russia was AWESOME!!! They spoke in a Russian accent the whole weekend! Even outside the convention center! XD And they always carried around a vodka bottle (I assume filled with water...). At that point none of us had seen it, and we were like "Okay, we gotta watch this."

Seriously, am I the only one who's okay with my stereotype? Fast food, bad manners, selfish hero complex, not very bright, somewhat lazy. Not very nice, is it? But I look at it and go "Mmyep, I can see where they'd get that." Just like I can see where most of the stereotypes come from. But I don't think all, or even most people are like the stereotypes. They're just that: A stereotype. They're not based in enough fact to be accurate, but in just enough to be funny.

Well, have you considered the option that maybe some people aren't as much offended by it as much as they simply think that it's just not funny or clever and is in fact a rather poor attempt at what it's trying to be?

Honestly, I stopped seeing the characters as personifications of countries after watching a couple of episodes. I don't really even know of many stereotypes of countries. Now I just see the characters as original characters who get into crazy antics.

Well, have you considered the option that maybe some people aren't as much offended by it as much as they simply think that it's just not funny or clever and is in fact a rather poor attempt at what it's trying to be?

Okay, I had a huge rant here explaining that I was referring specifically to people who are offended and how they take it too seriously, blah blah blah...

Long rant short: If you don't like, don't watch it. If you're offended by it... DON'T WATCH IT! Why is that such a hard concept to understand?! I'm putting it in the OP....

LunarEclipse

Maruul, while I think that it's a nice idea to ask other users to refrain from bashing the series/fans (which is, seeing the general maturity on this board, also rather unlikely), I think "Don't like don't watch" reminds me a bit toooo much of a certain other fandom to be comfortable :redface:. But maybe I'm just misreading the paragraph in the OP. I'm a bit tired out =(

Personally, I've got no problem about people stating their opinion, as long as it's reasonable and not riding on the it's offensive /it's mainstreem / yaoi fangirls train. Those get boring after a while :cake:

"They make Germany too nice! They don't even mention the holocaust! I'm offended!" ...what? It's a comedy. Wouldn't talking about the holocaust in a comedy be more offensive? Obviously certain things are going to be left out.

I hate that.

Another pet peeve: people complaining about how bad their own nation is depicted , but at the same time they'll demand that other countries should be represented worse than they are . And those guys state the series is offensive? :lol:

Okay, I had a huge rant here explaining that I was referring specifically to people who are offended and how they take it too seriously, blah blah blah...

Long rant short: If you don't like, don't watch it. If you're offended by it... DON'T WATCH IT! Why is that such a hard concept to understand?! I'm putting it in the OP....

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the OP to immediately express if they only want positive, adoring comments about the subject of their choice, otherwise they're inviting varying, sometimes conflicting opinions. I watched some, didn't like it, you came along with a thread about it, I shared my thoughts about the subject. The feeling of frustration you may or may not be feeling about it would've been easy to avoid by taking some very basic things about the nature of Internet conversations into account.

Meh, I like my country's stereotype too. I mean, he's portrayed as drunk and a terrible tourist, emotionally constipated (as in we can't express our emotions and get angry and flustered quickly a.k.a Tsundere), apparently schizophrenic (Fairies DO exist, just only England can see them) and very traditional and old fashioned. THe amount of fanfiction that makes out that England can't use a mobile phone etc. We're also portrayed as a badass pirate (though this may just be fanart and not canon). I still think England is a fairly awesome character and his tsundereness makes him cute.

I mean, Korea's government took great offense at their country's representation, seeing it as an attack by the Japanese (to the point that Korea was removed from the anime). I really don't see any point in getting that flustered about it, as all the countries have their good and bad points. Most people seem to really like Korea as a character because he's funny.

Speaking of Hetalia videos, my personal favourite is the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfmuuP6Kr58

I always play it full screen because I tend to get emotional watching it. It makes me think of world peace, as unachievable as it is. And it's not the westlife version of the song, if that puts anyone off.

Honestly, I stopped seeing the characters as personifications of countries after watching a couple of episodes. I don't really even know of many stereotypes of countries. Now I just see the characters as original characters who get into crazy antics.

Same, it takes alot of potential offense out of it. To me, they've become characters who happen to have the names of countries, though I do occasionally see articles in the news that amuse me when I think of them in terms of hetalia.

I DO believe in faeries! I do! I do! I do! :lol:

I really do though... :ph34r:

I love when he's visiting Japan and every time he starts talking to youkai Japan's just like "I live alone... *creeped out*"

I dunno about him being a pirate... although in one episode he says something about not messing with his pirates... hmmmmm.... *puts an eyepatch on him* Fufufu...

Speaking of England...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhx5W8_OS0

Bwahahaha!

Nah, I luv you guys.

What was that about Hetalia and Vocaloid? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMZA0a2SPs

Mmmm I wanna do a Hetalia cosplay now. I think I'd be a good N. Italy. And I could sing the song at Karaoke ^^ *has been practicing*

This place is just gonna turn into a video dump, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKgt5350-oU

*isn't helping*

Dammit Senwyn! That video keeps making me happy then depressed! Caue I watch it and think "Yay we're a big happy family~" then remember "Oh wait, we all hate each other..."

I shall dump two very epic videos:

Hetalia plus a dramatic storyline would make for one epic movie.

Nuuuu, serious, bad. ;-; Well, okay, it would be pretty badass... but I dun want everyone to hate each other... Everyone already seems to hate each other, always going to war, killing everyone... I like Hetalia because even the waring countries have their moments of "Well okay let's be friendly for a sec." It would be nice if they were people, actually, cause when one starts doing something stupid you can smack them across the head and say "Hey! ... stop being such a prick." You have no idea how many times I've watched world news and wanted to do that. Seriously, WHY can people not just get along? I mean, obviously individuals are going to have spats, but entire governments?! Come on! You are all adults! Work it out! Stop killing everyone!

*huff* *puff* Rant over.

What, no videos?! Here, have these instead :3

3592483.png 3592493.png3592546.png3592552.png

Nuuuu, serious, bad. ;-; Well, okay, it would be pretty badass... but I dun want everyone to hate each other... Everyone already seems to hate each other, always going to war, killing everyone... I like Hetalia because even the waring countries have their moments of "Well okay let's be friendly for a sec." It would be nice if they were people, actually, cause when one starts doing something stupid you can smack them across the head and say "Hey! ... stop being such a prick." You have no idea how many times I've watched world news and wanted to do that. Seriously, WHY can people not just get along? I mean, obviously individuals are going to have spats, but entire governments?! Come on! You are all adults! Work it out! Stop killing everyone!

*huff* *puff* Rant over.

Well, I guess that from the perspective of them being countries, it's not so great. I tend not to think of them as countries, so it doesn't bother me much.

World peace is a nice concept but I highly doubt it will ever be achieved. I mean, something that annoys me is the treatment of ginger haired people. Suddenly, people have started tormenting others with that hair colour. It's basically racism, but of course as it isn't seen as such by society, it's somehow ok to do. People will always look for something to attack, someone to hate. It's a fact. I agree that government officials often appear to act ridiculously childish, but at the end of the day, they're human too and have the same faults. Most wars are pointless.

I won't start on the awesomeness of potentially being able to walk down the street and run into England. If I actually met Arthur in real life, I think I would turn into a mass of jelly. I'd be completely speechless and would probably require a hug, photo and ways of contacting him again. -wait, I've already started on it XD. Anyway, it would be awesome. In my ideal world, this would happen.

On a cheerier note, have this video:

Awesome! *salutes you*

One thing that really bothers me is when people complain that they leave certain things out. Liiike the holocaust... "They make Germany too nice! They don't even mention the holocaust! I'm offended!" ...what? It's a comedy. Wouldn't talking about the holocaust in a comedy be more offensive? Obviously certain things are going to be left out.

Oh, speaking of cosplay, there were Hetalia cosplayers at OMGcon this year, and their Russia was AWESOME!!! They spoke in a Russian accent the whole weekend! Even outside the convention center! XD And they always carried around a vodka bottle (I assume filled with water...). At that point none of us had seen it, and we were like "Okay, we gotta watch this."

*salutes back* :B

Yeah, I dunno. I guess the concept of personifying anything that isn't just an inanimate object is really touchy to some people. If you guys didn't know already, there's somebody on deviantART called humon who does a Hetalia inspired comic, but with her own characters and it's based around Scandinavia more. It's hilarious, and I love her characters too, but people (of course) manage to get butthurt about it. She's been called racist, sexist, just about every name in the book: and she's not. People need to chill.

I'm going to Metrocon soon, there will probably be a bunch of Hetalia cosplayers there this year. The Russia in our group is part Russian and can do a Russian accent very well. We always fill our vodka bottles with water so that probably was it.

Cute video insert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOkzSbPN9E

Meh, I'm too mentally exhausted to worry about it right now... Have you guys heard/seen the spoilers for the English dub? :D

And now for some videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRMayT40IQ

I NEEEEED this game now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4piuLa4621E

Am I the only one who thinks Prussia looks amazing at the end? I'm not usually into so much muscle, but damn... he makes it work.

OH MY GOD THAT WE ARE THE WORLD VIDEO

FFFF THEY GAVE PRUSSIA (MY FAVORITE CHARACTER) THE PART OF WILLIE NELSON (FAVORITE SINGER IN THAT GROUP BESIDES CINDY LAUPER)-!!!! THIS MAKES ME RIDICULOUSLY HAPPY FOR SOME REASON. @u@

Does Prussia get a bigger part in the anime? I've only gotten to 44 and all he's done so far is popped up twice to pick on Austria.

Does Prussia get a bigger part in the anime? I've only gotten to 44 and all he's done so far is popped up twice to pick on Austria.

He and his allies (can't remember who right off the top of my head) invade Austria in two of the most recent episodes. I believe those episodes were Episodes 65 and 66 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong with those numbers).

Ah i am late to the conversation! I love Hetalia. A friend sent me a link and I have been hooked! I love France, Canada, England, and USA! I am told I act like France in the facts I am flamboyant and flirt with every moving thing, even when I don't mean too.. I think it is my niceness. Anyways I made two APH amvs. I love them most. =D

I have tried to cosplay as Canada but failed. I looked like a mix of Canada, USA and France. Twas scary. Now I want to cosplay Nice lovely out fit France or Jeanne D'Arc from the comics.

my AMVS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohi9udKZXtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OibUdBaC2vA

And now, just because I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmfu3Jj6vHo

Fuck yeah. :angry:

I'm a HUGE Hetalia fan from America - And I have to say that I'm satisfied with how he turned out, but it honestly wasn't until I got into Hetalia that I started liking the RL country that much. Of course, growing up with a meager four channels on the TV - One of them CBC - really didn't help there. I tend to prefer Canada, overall...

Wow, there's so many Amazing videos here! :o

Any of you write fanfics or draw fanart (I think Maruul is active on the main Hetalia community's discussions, at least)? I do a bit of both, though I've only completed one fanfic and only keep the (unfinished AU) art to my DA (Because the person I'm helping make the AU isn't too keen on a lot of attention.

(I think Maruul is active on the main Hetalia community's discussions, at least)

What does that mean...?

I don't have any Hetalia stuff. I'm afraid I wouldn't do the characters justice, and I already have too many projects to work on.

Oh, I found the most adorable Germany x Italy doujinshi on Y! Gallery (after wading through some not-so-cute things). For anyone who might have an account there, it's here.

AH! How did I miss you SeethingIguana?! Late reply is late... We've decided to try doing a Hetalia cosplay at Bishie Con in December ^^ I'll be N. Italy. *flaps white flag* I think I'm gonna grow my hair until then so when I get it cut I can leave a little strand long and curl it XD If that fails... I'll get some wire or something. I'm sad though, cause it doesn't look like I'll have a Germany... My usual "partner" in cosplay wants to be Russia, and is too small to be Germany anyway (still bigger than me though). And Pez... just... no... *dies trying to picture him as Germany* With any luck there will be a Germany there and I can run up to them "Doitsu!! *on tiptoes* Hug... hug... hug..." ^^

And YEEEEEE I'm totally getting the DVD when it comes out!

My only comment about the hetalia dub is that Vic is playing Greece. Thank god. One of my least fave characters. America seems perfect...I've seen a clip of his VA and he acts just like America (whether this is put on or not is hard to tell). England has grown on me, though when he gets annoyed he starts to sound a teeensy bit like James from Pokemon.

My fave line from all the clips was Germany going 'Do we have to kiss?' and Italy replied 'Nope! unless you want to~'

Best line ever. EVER.

Oh and the line 'You can order me around and I'll disappoint you!'

I can't access that clip with Austria because it's blocked, but from the screen I imagine him yelling 'OBJECTION!' XD

It's just the trailer for the dub.

MAKE PASTA

NOT WAR

I just like the way he says "Unless you want to." Like he's totally up for it. And we know he is. ;)

Yaaaay, I found cosplay~ And it's marked down~ I need to get measured, hopefully I can fit into one of the kid's costumes, cause they're cheaper. But WTF the boots are sold separately for $84?! :blink: I'll just get some boots at a store...

OH MY GOD THAT WE ARE THE WORLD VIDEO

FFFF THEY GAVE PRUSSIA (MY FAVORITE CHARACTER) THE PART OF WILLIE NELSON (FAVORITE SINGER IN THAT GROUP BESIDES CINDY LAUPER)-!!!! THIS MAKES ME RIDICULOUSLY HAPPY FOR SOME REASON. @u@

XD I thought Prussia sounded good. My Favourite was Belarus. She had the part of Cindy right? It's the first time I've come across that song, so I don't know half of the singers.

It's just the trailer for the dub.

MAKE PASTA

NOT WAR

I just like the way he says "Unless you want to." Like he's totally up for it. And we know he is. ;)

Yaaaay, I found cosplay~ And it's marked down~ I need to get measured, hopefully I can fit into one of the kid's costumes, cause they're cheaper. But WTF the boots are sold separately for $84?! :blink: I'll just get some boots at a store...

He totally is XD. Italy/Germany are totally canon. ALmost as canon as sweden and finland.

I found out I'm exactly the same height as England. I could totally cosplay him!!! Except I wear glasses...

I was reading the scanlation, and because of my own subconscious stereotypes I had America and Britain switched for a bit...

(I think Maruul is active on the main Hetalia community's discussions, at least)

What does that mean...?

I don't have any Hetalia stuff. I'm afraid I wouldn't do the characters justice, and I already have too many projects to work on.

The LJ com? I think I've seen your icon and handle in topics with the discussion tag? I know I've seen the icon you use here on that site too. http://community.livejournal.com/hetalia/

I would be the worst Germany ever, yeah.

I'm really liking that "You can order me around and I'll disapoint you." line. I think I should make a ringtone of that.

Archived