anyone past 50 on here?

Autumn Sunrise

That sounds very painful, @Gentle Giant I hope it doesn't last too long - it's hard to do anything much when you have back pain! *hugs*

3 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Spending my weekend hoeing out and trying to clean my house so it isn't actually a health hazard. And getting the water trough heater installed for the winter well enough that it doesn't leak. I think I am starting to dislike winter for the first time. But, I can't live too much farther south because I don't like to be hot, either. I need to be rich and have 2 houses, summer and winter.

Having summer and winter houses sounds like a great idea, @Mocha Jo Now where did I put that lottery ticket? :lol:

6 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I hope everyone is have a nice weekend!!

23622503_1953069685019090_7918539494254284053_n.jpg?oh=5063f2390a9724366408fd2d5ec22d78&oe=5AAD27C4

Later, I'll mount them to the wall.  Catification is just the 1st step in becoming a successful crazy cat lady.:P  

I assume it's the shelves you're planning to mount to the wall - not the cats :lol: (they are beautiful!) We'll leave trophy mounting to the Trump family - what a nerve! I'm almost tempted to hope that the elephant . . . no, I won't even say it! I can be better than this!

It's quite a nice day here . . . now! We've had a couple of days of violent thunderstorms and torrential rain. The rain was actually very welcome, and now our household water tank is overflowing, and the dam is nearly full, so we'll have plenty of water for the summer. The gardens and trees got a good drink too. We did get some hail (which always freaks me out after living through that incredible hail storm in Sydney, many year ago), but luckily the hail stones were small and didn't do any damage.

I hope everyone's enjoying their weekend :D

• Like 9
7 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Catification

Cool!

I noticed that Jackson Galaxy was going to be at the bookstore I was at this morning - he was going to be there in the afternoon and I already had afternoon plans; anyway, it looked like you had to get tickets for his appearance (don't know if they cost anything or not)).

5 hours ago, Semisweet said:

And speaking of singers from our earlier decades who had top-selling songs, I just saw that David Cassidy has been hospitalized in critical condition with organ failure. He has also previously been reported to be battling dementia. Very sad.

I agree that that is sad. I used to watch The Partridge Family "back in the day".

3 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

@Emjay537 I love Babylon 5!

Me, too. Back when it was originally airing it was THE main reason I had cable tv.

3 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

(I already know I'm immature:P)

I laughed for the same reason. :P

1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

pain in my lower to mid back

Oh, dear! I hope it feels better soon! Do you have back issues?

39 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

elephant

A bit ironic, what with that noble beast being the emblem of the party. :o

I had a fun afternoon playing board games at a local cafe with one person I know and a couple I met for the first time (the other person already knew them) who joined us there. :) 

• Like 8

@daveb I hope your feeling better muscle aches and pains especially when you don't know what caused them is troublesome.

Just saw on the local 24 news channel here that David Cassidy is 67. Cripes that's only 11 years more than me.

Their ticker also mentioned Ann Wedgeworth who played Lana on Three's Company passed away at age 83.

Plus Malcolm Young of AC/DC passed away :(

As much as we try to think of being younger than we are, news like this brings a person back to reality.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, will123 said:

I hope your feeling better muscle aches and pains especially when you don't know what caused them is troublesome.

I think you meant this for @Gentle Giant. :)

Well, my parents are 20 years older than me and still kicking (even if they don't kick so high anymore). And given family history, I feel like I have a good chance of being around a while. I do get slowed down with lots of walking around on vacation, but that's mostly because I get blisters on my feet (and still figuring out ways to prevent that, or at least ameliorate them). :) 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, daveb said:

I think you meant this for @Gentle Giant. :)

Well, my parents are 20 years older than me and still kicking (even if they don't kick so high anymore). And given family history, I feel like I have a good chance of being around a while. I do get slowed down with lots of walking around on vacation, but that's mostly because I get blisters on my feet (and still figuring out ways to prevent that, or at least ameliorate them). :) 

Oh great I'm losing it! Yes it was @Gentle Giant I was meaning to reply to.

• Like 6

Well, you know, they say the memory is the second thing to go. I can't remember the first.

(old joke!)

• Like 9

Hiya all 

@Gentle Giant, hope a heat pad works

@Mocha Jo, I need have a similar clean up :(, not my favourite task. I left laundry on the line overnight and it has frozen solid 

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Kazbe, @Semisweet, @Mocha Jo, thanks for the best wishes...I'm hoping to ACE it! haha!

Shame to hear about David Cassidy and Malcolm young, they provided the soundtracks for so many lives.

Love the catification @faraday☘..

Oh, good luck in getting rid of that back pain @Gentle Giant, hope it's better by your next post.

Gosh @Skycaptain, its a long while since there's been frozen washing on my line (only because it has all been relegated to the clothes horse and left for short periods at the back door). Handy for keeping you on your feet though, like having a built in Iron man suit...  but a bit chilly to wear!:D

I'm still bouncing from getting my first TMA back from my tutor and got 59% (Level 3) mark!!! To most, I suppose they'd say 'Well, what's so good about that?' but at my age and not having done any studying for so long, the fact that I scraped in on the deadline by about 2 hours, that I completed the submission in 2 days...all I could say was WOW :o , gobsmacked is a complete understatement! 

*One very VERY happy dragon :D

• Like 10

Feel better, @Gentle Giant!

Hope the hand is healing, @faraday☘!

Wherever you hang those shelves, you'll have to rename: The Catcave!

Well done, you, @Frankentan!

Now that the discomfort has subsided, @Mocha Jo, I feel much better. Thanks!

Have several doctor visits scheduled. Not too worried.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I assume it's the shelves you're planning to mount to the wall - not the cats

My thought as well ... LOL.

• Like 4

Yeah, the shelves - not the cats :P

@Gentle Giant I hope your pain is better and the heat has helped.  It's aways frustrating sleeping (or sitting) the wrong way, and ending up sore, stiff, and in pain.  

@daveb I'm a Jackson Galaxy fan.  I'd have love to have met him.  Was he promoting a new book?

Congratulations @Frankentan

Good luck with all the doctor visits @Tja!

Pretty much a lazy Sunday for me.  However, I  went out and bought some take-n-bake pizza.....yummm.    

• Like 5
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I'm a Jackson Galaxy fan.  I'd have love to have met him.  Was he promoting a new book?

I assume so, but didn't look for more info at the time. I have watched some of his videos and find them interesting (and potentially useful in the future?). :)

I've had a busy weekend, what with going out both afternoons to board game meetups. Lots of fun, but also lots of socializing. AT least it's easier and less taxing socializing while doing something that occupies my brain and my hands. :) 

• Like 5

My pain has been so terrible working this weekend. I don’t know how I managed it. It was such a struggle. I called my supervisor and asked to take off tomorrow to recuperate. She said yes. I have off Tues. too, so I really hope this will get me feeling better with a couple days rest.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Gentle Giant said:

My pain has been so terrible working this weekend. I don’t know how I managed it. It was such a struggle. I called my supervisor and asked to take off tomorrow to recuperate. She said yes. I have off Tues. too, so I really hope this will get me feeling better with a couple days rest.

Oh, no! I hope you feel better soon! It's good that your supervisor seems supportive.

• Like 5

Hope everyone is feeling better soon.  My little dog fractured his front leg in a freak accident and is wearing a cast for the next few weeks.

• Like 5

@Mz Terry, that's not nice, hope

Dog II makes a swift recovery.

One of these days I will get this washing dry, after the frost we've now had overnight rain that wasn't forecast :angry:

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Sorry to hear about your dog @Mz Terry, I hope everything heals nicely and he's chasing squirrels soon.:cake:

Also, sorry to hear your bak is still playing up @Gentle Giant.:cake:

@Tja, crossed fingers all your tests are clear and you get well soon.:cake:

On the lighter side:

Congratulations @Frankentan! No mean feat after years away from study! I find that the hardest part these days is 'playing the game' which has nothing to do with learning, but being able to negotiate round all the regulations/ tick boxes that serve to separate the actual learning material from the course ....or maybe that's just nursing....:lol:

Off to first interview today , but another coming up too....first is for a pharmaceutical and medical device company and the second is for an anti slavery helpline. I rather fancy both!

Autumn Sunrise

Congratulations, @Frankentan :wub:

@Mz Terry I hope your little dog heals quickly!

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

One of these days I will get this washing dry, after the frost we've now had overnight rain that wasn't forecast :angry:

I hope you have enough dry clothes to get you through this emergency!

@chandrakirti Good luck with your interviews - sounds like both jobs could be interesting!

• Like 6
On 11/18/2017 at 1:46 PM, faraday☘ said:

Later, I'll mount them to the wall.  Catification is just the 1st step in becoming a successful crazy cat lady.:P  

The kitties look rather excited to be able to climb the walls.  Lucky little furballs :D

On 11/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, Gentle Giant said:

I woke up yesterday with pain in my lower to mid back and don’t know what caused it. I must have laid crooked or something. The pain was terrible today trying to work. Tonight I’ve been sitting with a heated pad on it. I hope it gets better quickly.

Back pain is (almost) the worst.  Have you tried one of the zero gravity chairs for relief?  

On 11/18/2017 at 9:12 PM, daveb said:

I had a fun afternoon playing board games at a local cafe with one person I know and a couple I met for the first time (the other person already knew them) who joined us there. :) 

Sounds like it was a fun afternoon - but...no treats?

On 11/18/2017 at 9:36 PM, daveb said:

My parents are still kicking, too, although I think my Mom isn't much longer.  She's had so many health issues this last 2 years, and I just got an email from her describing yet another run to the hospital via ambulance for a mild stroke.

I come from a long-tailed clan, though.  We don't go early, and we fight every step of the way. 

23 hours ago, Frankentan said:

*One very VERY happy dragon :D

Congrats!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Hope everyone is feeling better soon.  My little dog fractured his front leg in a freak accident and is wearing a cast for the next few weeks.

Poor little pup.  Hope he heals quickly.

7 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

You just got a re-rinse.  Time to start hanging things in the bathroom to dry?

6 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Off to first interview today , but another coming up too....first is for a pharmaceutical and medical device company and the second is for an anti slavery helpline. I rather fancy both!

Here's hoping something good falls into your lap employment-wise.

The last time I had to go search for a job was around 9 years ago.  I was unemployed for 6 weeks - and let me tell you...those were the LONGEST 6 weeks of my life.  At least my home was the cleanest it had ever been.

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@EarthMama, my garden was the first to get the giant tidy up, now the house is sparkling, I'm so bored!  Interview went well, the agency that put me forward say I won't hear for another week as 'they have to go through the motions' of interviewing their internal candidate first.....is that good news? I've a week to find out!

@Skycaptain, does your sudden dearth of clothing mean that we're not going to be treated to cocktail recipes for a while? If ever you want to pass that shirt on, I'm in!:lol::cake:

9 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

My little dog fractured his front leg in a freak accident and is wearing a cast for the next few weeks.

I can't "like" your post because of this part. I hope Dog 2 heals quickly!

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

overnight rain that wasn't forecast

You live in England, don't you? :P

Maybe @EarthMama, is right, time to bring the laundry to dry indoors? My mother likes to dry her laundry on clotheslines outside (usually works well in southern Calif.). But occasionally it does rain (in spite of the Eagle's song), so she has various racks and lines she sets up inside her house.

51 minutes ago, EarthMama said:

Sounds like it was a fun afternoon - but...no treats?

I had a couple of cups of Earl Grey and an apple fritter. :)

3 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Interview went well, the agency that put me forward say I won't hear for another week as 'they have to go through the motions' of interviewing their internal candidate first.....is that good news? I've a week to find out!

Sounds good. Best wishes with the other interview! And with getting a good job offer soon!

It's been raining here most of the night and this morning. I'm debating whether to go out and get some shopping done before the holiday weekend or wait another day or 2. I'm really feeling like a lazy day at home after the "busy" weekend (for me and my usual level of activity and social interaction). :)

• Like 7

Congrats to @Frankentan!

@Mz Terry Sorry about your dog’s injury, hope for speedy recovery!

@chandrakirti Good luck with the job hunt!

@EarthMama I don’t know where I’d get an anti gravity chair. I’m doing my best to rest my back. I could even be standing still or just move slightly and have a wave of pain attack!

I got my health benefits selection thing mostly done. Don’t know why I had to agree to an Allstate disclaimer when none of my selections were for them. I couldn’t bypass it. So I think I will call the help line to verify what’s going on with that. So confusing and annoying. I just want to be done with the thing already!

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

@EarthMama I don’t know where I’d get an anti gravity chair. I’m doing my best to rest my back. I could even be standing still or just move slightly and have a wave of pain attack!

I got mine in a camping supply store.  You can also get some from Amazon.  They fold up/out like lawn chairs.

• Like 6

Here are a couple of photos from last summer's solar eclipse event:

Spoiler

IMG_0156.jpg

The Crescent Shadows before Totality

Spoiler

IMGP6433.jpg

Muledeer was here!

Spoiler

IMGP6437.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Even the clouds had crescents in them!

• Like 9
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Great photos @Muledeer, love the crescents in the shadow , never seen anything like it.:D

Well yesterday's interview was interesting! According to the headhunter at the agency who put me forward, I stood out head and shoulders, but....there's an internal candidate to be seen before they decide, so I won't know anything before next Monday. crossed fingers.

Met up with the bank today, sorting out plan C for if work doesn't arrive, at least there's a plan C! See you later.

@Muledeer - Lucky you, to have had clear skies for the eclipse.  I got almost totally clouded over.  I did manage one sorry shot before the event slid back behind the grey skies:

best-shot-highlight.jpg?ssl=1

Totality for me was - nearest - an 8 hour drive, and I don't travel well.  I travel worse when getting into the path of totality would have meant that 8 hour drive ended up closer to 10-15 once you factor in fighting with the volume of drivers on the same road.

• Like 7