anyone past 50 on here?

Autumn Sunrise

We're celebrating in our house this morning because the result of the marriage equality postal survey has just been announced, and it's a clear "YES", averaging 61.6% across the nation :wub: We have a lot of friends who will be celebrating today! Apparently a well-known conservative politician had said that he would count a 40% "no" vote as a "moral victory" . . . I'm meanly glad that he didn't get his 40%! Now it's time for the government to step up and deliver asap, and I hope the legislation they draft will be good, fair and not hedged about with exceptions.

@Mocha Jo your horses don't deserve heated water - they should be ashamed of themselves :o

• Like 6

I missed one day, and I'm really behind on posts!

I've never seen Casablanca.  I usually avoid movie theaters, I prefer watching movies at home.  However, some movies would be great to see on the big screen! I like the list of @EarthMama.  We have similar tastes.

My tattoo appointment is next week, hopefully it'll be cool.  @EarthMama your tattoo idea sounds really cool!  I also love the necklace, you have such great talent!  

It's starting to get cold in my next of the woods.  However, it hasn't snowed yet.  Well actually, it did while I was away, but it melted the same day.  @Autumn Sunrise springtime in Oz seems fabulous!

@Mocha Jo that's too bad about your horses and your heater.  I couldn't help but laugh, though!:lol:

I broke a control panel that manages my thermostat.  I lost heat for a while, but finally figured out to turn the heat back on.  Now I have to replace it.  I'm thinking about getting the Nest system.  

In the middle of writing this post, I burnt my hand.  I grabbed a handle on a pot that I pulled from the oven.  Something a 3 year-old would do.  It's a bad burn.  I'm icing it now.    

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

In the middle of writing this post, I burnt my hand.  I grabbed a handle on a pot that I pulled from the oven.  Something a 3 year-old would do.  It's a bad burn.  I'm icing it now.    

Oh, no! :(

I hope you get it taken care of (whether by yourself at home or by getting a medical person to look at it if need be), and that it heals quickly! Burns can be bad and painful. :( 

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

Ouch - I'm sorry you burnt yourself :o Do you have a pharmacy nearby where you could get some advice and medication? I hope it's not too bad a burn, and the pain doesn't last too long!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mocha Jo said:

And, can I just say, horses are assholes. 

Yes they are, assholes with attitudes because of their intelligence.  Cows are even worse, but I give them a pass because they are really stupid animals.

11 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

Aloe Vera.  Aloe Vera.  Aloe Vera.  I hope you keep a plant on hand for times like this.  Ice helps too.  Multitasking error?  Hell, I can't even talk on the phone while driving.

• Like 5
On 11/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, teatree said:

Have I posted this before??? (Sorry if I have.) This is my camper, a '68 Scotty. I'm working extra jobs to save money for the truck I now need to pull it. The camper is currently snugly stored in the barn....  I dream of retiring and hitting the road!

3a78d5ed-4f40-4257-a9a4-55a6de23b5b1

You'd love a shop in MI near Jackson. They restore old trailers.

This is similar to what I have:

2009_ForestRiver_RockwoodMiniLite.jpg

It's a 2009 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2106 (21 footer). Mine has the door forward of the axles.

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Yes they are, assholes with attitudes because of their intelligence.  Cows are even worse, but I give them a pass because they are really stupid animals.

LMAO!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Whereas, donkeys are just asses.

• Like 8
7 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Hell, I can't even talk on the phone while driving.

You certainly don't want to do that over here, it's a £250+ fine, and get caught twice in three years a six month mandatory driving ban. 

@faraday☘, hope that burn isn't too serious and heals soon

@Mocha Jo, your horses are just being pe(s)ts, just like cats and dogs which suddenly decide to scratch furniture or eat a shoe :P

@Autumn Sunrise, seeing that lizard sounds an experience. Our biggest ones are small enough to fit on your hand (apart from the fact that handling one other than to remove it from a place of danger is an offence) 

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Haha! that's funny with the cows:D. Mind you, cows and sheep have been selectively bred down the generations to be dull so they can be easily farmed.

Had a bit of fun at the expense of a couple of charity collectors yesterday. Usually they avoid me as I always look invulnerable to them, but they were collecting on behalf of the Deaf children's society. They weren't too happy with my reply...'Oh, sure! I have a daughter you can have, she's been deaf to most of my suggestions down the years!'  (apologies to anyone this might offend - I did give them a donation but no direct debit!).

@will123, that's a neat trailer, you must need a big enough engine to pull it though. It was hard to use that kind on Skye because of the hairpin bends and so most of the mobile living accommodation was by RV as they were more manoeuvrable. Took me all my time to park my Smart !

My laziness with regard to the sweeping of garden leaves has finally paid off. Looked out this morning to find that they little hedgehog guys have collected them up for me. there are just a few strays left, which will take 5 minutes to tidy. Maybe I can make leaf mold...

So, have a great one today!:D

@faraday☘- ouch! Burns really hurt! I hope it isn't too serious. I don't know if silver sulfasalazine is over the counter cream or not (I work in a hospital, so it is just always around) but if it is that is wonderful for burns. If it isn't on the shelf, then aloe is best- either straight from the plant or one with no additives to it.

It is a good thing that I KNOW pulled out the heater is a cute boy. But he is so darn mouthy!

• Like 5
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hope your burn isn't a serious one @faraday☘, loads of cold water, non stick dressing, painkillers. Will it affect your working day - you work on a computer, so all that typing :o

There's been nothing but procrastination in this corner, so I guess , time to stop AVENing...

18 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

@EarthMama- that is a lovely necklace. I'd love to see your other pieces. Do you have pictures? The husband of a spinzilla team member does chain and scale maille for renfairs, and his wife has talked him into making scale spindles- I now have 3 of them

I stick photos of a lot of my stuff on my instagram page, and I do have an Etsy shop.  If you want the details on how to find me all over the web, let me know via PM.  Don't want to violate AVEN's TOS. :D 

You can say...and you just did.  Are they as full of (c)attitude as felines?

17 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

We're celebrating in our house this morning because the result of the marriage equality postal survey has just been announced, and it's a clear "YES", averaging 61.6% across the nation

YEA!!!!!  Another country gets it!

But - if your politicos are anything like the idjits here in the states, expect some push back from the power-mongers, testing just how far they can take their moral high-ground.

Personally, I know exactly WHERE they can shove that...:twisted:

16 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

However, some movies would be great to see on the big screen! I like the list of @EarthMama.  We have similar tastes.

Great minds, and all that?  :D

My tattoo appointment is next week, hopefully it'll be cool. 

Pictures when you're all healed up, yes?

OWEEEEE!!!!!

This summer, I joggled a full pan of boiling water - ended up with hot (HOT!) soaked pants, shirt & socks.  NEVER in my life have I undressed as fast.  I used coconut oil on the worst of the burns, it kept the damaged skin soft and hydrated, and healed up nicely.

15 hours ago, daveb said:

Whereas, donkeys are just asses.

I bow to the master of puns :D

8 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

They weren't too happy with my reply...'Oh, sure! I have a daughter you can have, she's been deaf to most of my suggestions down the years!'  

BRAVO!  :lol:

• Like 6

@EarthMama

(c)attitude ROFL :cake::cake::lol::lol:

• Like 5

I had a great time seeing Casablanca on the big screen! There were brief bits before and after the movie with some TCM host giving a few interesting tidbits about the movie. Not so much as to be annoying. And seeing the movie in one continuous go, on a big screen, was really cool. Ingrid Bergman was such a classic beauty! And the performances by the whole cast was excellent. (also, the theater had the automatic reclining seats)

• Like 5

@daveb  I'm glad you enjoyed the movie!!

Thanks everyone for the burn advice.  It's better today.  I have a few blisters.  I iced it for several hours last night, then drenched it in ointment.  Luckily there's a doctor in the house.:)  However, if my skin was peeling off, then I'd seek outside help.  I woke up this morning and the pain was gone.  It hasn't impacted my ability to type or work today.  However, last night, I couldn't use my hand at all.  Today it's a bit difficult to open things like jars still.  Anyway, it's healing nicely.

My stupid fire alarm is chirping again.  It keeps alerting low battery.  I've changed it twice and re-set it twice.  Man, it's so annoying!  So I'm going to disconnect it and replace it.  Lucky it surrounds 3 other fire alarms, so the placement is redundant.  I'm not worried should an emergency happen.  

Well I'm off to stomp the s#!t out of my fire alarm.:P  

• Like 4

@faraday☘ I hope you heal quickly from that burn! Yeah, it probably would be best to replace that alarm.

I’m glad I have off work tomorrow. Will be busy with a lot of different stuff though. It’s that time of the year that we have to decide and confirm our health benefits stuff for work. There’s been changes to things we need to think over. I’ll be glad when that is done.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

You certainly don't want to do that over here, it's a £250+ fine, and get caught twice in three years a six month mandatory driving ban.

As it should be.  I am curious if they allow hands-free devices like Bluetooth or speaker phones?  Frankly, I drive just as distracted whether I am holding onto a phone or not so I just pull over if I need to take the call.  But, you are a taxi driver, right?  so how do you know who needs a ride if you can't answer your phone while driving around?  Talking and driving is still legal in most towns in Wyoming, and I do a fair amount of highway driving and I see a lot of people holding onto their phones while driving distracted.  They say a phone conversation is equal to at least three beers when it comes to driving performance. 

And then there's texting and driving which I think is absolutely absurd, but that has only been illegal around here for the last two or three years. 

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Frankly, I drive just as distracted whether I am holding onto a phone or not

I think studies have shown that that is true for most people. :) I refuse to answer my phone while I am driving, and only use it for directions (start it up before I start moving and leave it in a dashboard mount while I am driving).

1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

Anyway, it's healing nicely.

That's good. Take care!

1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

Well I'm off to stomp the s#!t out of my fire alarm.:P  

Make sure it's well and truly stomped before tossing it in the trash. :lol:

• Like 5
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I bet a lot of driving is automatic @daveb, at least if you don't have a phone at your ear you are less likely to be all to bits (see what I did there...🙄). Got loads of appointments today, busier than it was when there was work.

@faraday☘, glad the burn is healing fast. Could you get a non heat conducting sleeve for your pan handles? Here, there was an advert for pans with no handles of their own, just a set of pans with one clip on handle fitting all.

hope the health benefits have increased @Gentle Giant!😊

As I had suspected, the networking I thought I was going to do with the ex colleague was only a fact finding mission on her behalf. This has happened before with the same person, she got everyone's phone numbers from the workplace without anyone's permission and kept randomly phoning. Gossip is the main hobby here, not something I do myself. Must admit, I texted her to say not to contact me again, as I don't like being used.

Did you see the Peaky Blinders then last night @midlandtyke? (got this working on the phone, but name tags are hit and miss)...still having nightmares about the theme tune! For those across the pond, its a historical drama set in the 1920s Birmingham, about a street gang....the theme tune is Nick Cave's 'Red Right Hand' and there were loads of those in the hour. I love it! Reminds me of the recent meet up with the tour of the old houses.

Well, after 3 hours sleep, better get ready. Have a good morning all!🖖 

@Muledeer, yes Bluetooth/handsfree is legal. Most new cars have them built into the car radio.

@faraday☘, glad the burn isn't too bad.

Maybe your smoke alarm has just reached the end of its service life. I believe they last about a decade 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Maybe your smoke alarm has just reached the end of its service life. I believe they last about a decade 

I've lived in my house since it was new-build in 2000. Both my fire-alarms are still going strong

• Like 4

@Midland Tyke, my house was built in 2008, the smoke alarms have a 2018 expiry date on them, after which they're not expected to work reliably 

• Like 4
On 11/15/2017 at 4:19 AM, chandrakirti said:

@will123, that's a neat trailer, you must need a big enough engine to pull it though. It was hard to use that kind on Skye because of the hairpin bends and so most of the mobile living accommodation was by RV as they were more manoeuvrable. Took me all my time to park my Smart !

Similar to my tow vehicle except I have the actual tow mirrors:

119358855.jpg

It has a 6L which is overkill for the trailer, but hauling firewood with a 1/2 ton (mine's a 3/4 ton) is borderline. They 'spring' the new trucks with such a soft suspension any kind of a 'real' load and the truck is squatting on its bump stops. Most people that buy a pickup don't haul anything bigger than a new BBQ or flat screen TV home from the big box stores.

• Like 5
On 11/14/2017 at 7:54 PM, faraday☘ said:

I hope the burn is healing up. My worst burn happened before I can remember. My mother was ironing and I decided to put my hand on the iron. I guess my palm and fingers blistered up pretty good.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, daveb said:

I had a great time seeing Casablanca on the big screen! There were brief bits before and after the movie with some TCM host giving a few interesting tidbits about the movie. Not so much as to be annoying. And seeing the movie in one continuous go, on a big screen, was really cool. Ingrid Bergman was such a classic beauty! And the performances by the whole cast was excellent. (also, the theater had the automatic reclining seats)

The only time I've gone to a reshowing of a movie was Blade Runner. I had seen it on VHS at a friend's house and when there was a limited run in Toronto, I knew I'd have to go. I think in T.O. there are older movies on at times, not that I'd know now that I'm living in the sticks. Nothing like that in the nearest city to me.

• Like 4
On 11/15/2017 at 4:07 AM, Skycaptain said:

I think NY state has something like this for younger drivers. Ontario has made two attempts at fines for distracted driving. I haven't heard if the most recent rise in fines has made any difference. I still see people driving and using their cell phones.

My truck links to my phone, so I can do the handsfree. I'm not a big talker, usually just letting people know where I am and end the call.

• Like 4
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

hi all, just to let you know that I managed to sign into aven on this phone, but now I am locked out of aven on my laptop! I can get into this thread, but don't know if I can see anything else, so bear with, as Miranda Hart would say (I'm sure she is Tom Hardy's elder sister...). Texted Sky, who is astute at these things, so I hope to get some good advice on it. Anyway, if you don't hear much, it's because I'm still locked.😣  

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Eventually managed to get back in don't know how I did it, but an email came in saying my account had been accessed from Swansea, which is 100 miles away from me! Wonder if it'll be acting up or ok again tomorrow?:o