anyone past 50 on here?

2 hours ago, Diana DeLuna said:

She's pretty much sporting her full summer fur now.

She’s so pretty!

My (since passed, RIP) long-haired cat did that as well.  In the winter she was a puffball.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

The mental image I'm getting of putting "potted mums" in a graveyard probably isn't the one you intended

*snorts*

That’s not so much punctuation as word usage.  Here a mum is just a chrysanthemum and potted  is just... in a flowerpot.  We’re boring!

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Noticeably more people are driving here too, though still well below normal.

We never saw much decrease during the day here but evening/nighttime has been way down.

We started reopening under threat of re-closure but numbers are increasing and closing hasn’t

happened.

• Like 6
Skycaptain

Here, traffic has been down by 75-80% or more. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Muledeer, sometimes the absence of punctuation changes the context of a sentence totally. The mental image I'm getting of putting "potted mums" in a graveyard probably isn't the one you intended 😋😋

So now I'm trying to speculate on your mental image.  Two things come to mind, considering the Brittish use of the word "mum" means the same as  "mom" in American English, expanding on the clarifiacation from @ryn2

First guess:  moms on canibas , smoking pot.

Second guess: moms in a pot (or urn, considering it is dealing with a graveyard).

Am I even close to your mental images?

• Like 8
Skycaptain

@Muledeer, the second one is correct 

• Like 6

I was thinking of the potted meat sort of meaning.  Now I probably sound like a serial killer!  XD

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Gentle Giant said:

I thought this window art is really neat.

Reveal hidden contents

Nice!

• Like 6

Potted can also mean intoxicated (from alcohol). :P 

29 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

I thought this window art is really neat.

That's UPlifting! :D 

I haven't been out much during the last few months, but the few times I have been out traffic has mostly just felt like light weekend traffic. I don't know if the times I have been out affect that. I do think it's been lighter than I would normally expect, but far from empty.

• Like 7

I haven’t been out (driving - I’ve walked a lot) too much either but I live just off a main road and can hear the traffic.

It’s weird going to the big retail areas, though.  So empty.

• Like 6
BobRossRules
On 5/23/2020 at 2:05 PM, Noochy said:

@faraday☘ is your potato land Idaho or Ireland?  Snow when it is almost June!

It's Idaho. I can't believe it's almost June at we had snow.  I assumed it would melt, but stayed all day.  Some places, there was still snow the next day.  

The flowers are from a crab apple tree.  I missed the blooms last year when I was traveling.  They don't last very long, but they are pretty!!

• Like 8

Every now and then my crab has zero flowers.  This year was one of those years.

• Like 7

Another hike today and another change in plans!   I wanted to hike at Monte Bello and check out a trail I had never been on before.   But I arrived at 7:30 a.m. to find the gate to the parking lot locked.  No where to park.  So, luckily, there are multiple parks nearby to this park so I just kept driving till I found the parking lot at Long Ridge was open.  I had a lovely hike there on trails I have traversed many times but they are so beautiful it was no problem repeating the hike!!  There were still many wild flowers to admire and look at and it was a clear day and you could see the ocean from the ridge top!  I had the trail to myself for the first hour and a half or so then around 9 a.m. other hikers and mountain bikers started to pour into the park.  The quiet solo hike was nice while it lasted.  It was good to see people and say hello in person rather than on a computer screen!  Almost everyone was polite and kind.  No yahoos today!

Pictures:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/kXpkHVu3rE8q8kWe7

• Like 10
11 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Our new cases are slowly decreasing, but the number is still well above my state’s target decrease for easing restrictions, though they’ve announced we’ll move to the first phase of easing in 2 weeks. Noticeably more people are driving here too, though still well below normal. Whereas I barely even need my car at the moment and have to keep remembering to bathe and feed it. :P 

Things have gone sideways in Ontario. Cases have gone up drastically (experts think it's due to Mother's Day interactions) and then this 

Spoiler

clusterfuck

in Toronto on Saturday:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/social-media-erupts-as-thousands-pictured-at-torontos-trinity-bellwoods-park

Reminded me of the scenes on Florida beaches during spring break this year.

:(

• Like 6

That's unfortunate. :( 

Seems like a lot of people got the idea that they'd only have to shelter in place for a few weeks and then could all go back to normal. I understand lots of people want things to go back to how they were and want to get outside, socialize, etc. Many are taking risks. 

• Like 8
37 minutes ago, daveb said:

That's unfortunate. :( 

Seems like a lot of people got the idea that they'd only have to shelter in place for a few weeks and then could all go back to normal. I understand lots of people want things to go back to how they were and want to get outside, socialize, etc. Many are taking risks. 

They showed some footage from some other parks in Toronto and people there seemed to be following social distancing and group size restrictions.

• Like 8

Here it’s been a bunch of large fights.  The relatively sudden arrival of hot weather plus the holiday weekend is not a great combo this year.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Here it’s been a bunch of large fights.  The relatively sudden arrival of hot weather plus the holiday weekend is not a great combo this year.

No doubt.

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise
3 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Another hike today and another change in plans!   I wanted to hike at Monte Bello and check out a trail I had never been on before.   But I arrived at 7:30 a.m. to find the gate to the parking lot locked.  No where to park.  So, luckily, there are multiple parks nearby to this park so I just kept driving till I found the parking lot at Long Ridge was open.  I had a lovely hike there on trails I have traversed many times but they are so beautiful it was no problem repeating the hike!!  There were still many wild flowers to admire and look at and it was a clear day and you could see the ocean from the ridge top!  I had the trail to myself for the first hour and a half or so then around 9 a.m. other hikers and mountain bikers started to pour into the park.  The quiet solo hike was nice while it lasted.  It was good to see people and say hello in person rather than on a computer screen!  Almost everyone was polite and kind.  No yahoos today!

Pictures:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/kXpkHVu3rE8q8kWe7

Lovely pics, @cdrdash . . . wish I'd been there :D

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise
3 hours ago, will123 said:

Things have gone sideways in Ontario. Cases have gone up drastically (experts think it's due to Mother's Day interactions) and then this 

Hide contents

clusterfuck

in Toronto on Saturday:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/social-media-erupts-as-thousands-pictured-at-torontos-trinity-bellwoods-park

Reminded me of the scenes on Florida beaches during spring break this year.

:(

Unbelievable - what a bunch of idiots! Do they think they're somehow invulnerable?? 

• Like 8
Skycaptain

@cdrdash, great photos and a fantastic array of flora

@Gentle Giant, a drawing / painting of a rainbow has become the symbol of unity with the NHS, carers and other keyworkers in Britain.

I'm working this morning, ugh, but will go out for a hike on the South Downs this afternoon 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

Unbelievable - what a bunch of idiots! Do they think they're somehow invulnerable?? 

Yes, a lot do, and even if they are less likely to become very ill themselves, it isn't about them.  Also we are told that you are safer outdoors, but obviously not in close crowds.  We all restrict our lives for the greater good.  Sadly, our prime minister's chief adviser didn't do that.  He drove 250 miles to his parents' castle with his wife who was displaying Covid19 symptoms, which he then came down with also, and their young son.  The excuse is that he was worried if they were both ill they couldn't look after the child.  Fair point, but that is what hundreds of parents have had to cope with.  If they had all taken road trips when carrying the virus, how much worse would the outbreak have been?  So, if you are a member of the elite governing classes, you don't need to do what you have ordered the plebs to do?  It is quite scary to realise that people with the actual symptoms would knowingly go out and infect others.  They must have stopped somewhere for a loo break and refuel.

I am missing seeing the birds in the garden as I have had to take the feeders down owing to the rat problem.  The garden itself is looking good with all the attention it is getting while I am working from home.  I am planning an excursion for Little Dog's walk tomorrow to a stately home with large grounds and woodland we can wander round.  I will go early and hope it is quiet - it isn't one of the big showcase places, which are all closed.

Hope the Brits here enjoy the bank holiday and avoid any crowds.

• Like 9

Kids in Canada are making rainbow drawings (or as Simon on Saturday Night Live would say, "drawrings") too.

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, will123 said:

(or as Simon on Saturday Night Live would say, "drawrings")

Ha! I remember that from when I used to watch the show more regularly.

Looks like one more cool cloudy day here. :) 

I don't have any plans to go out, even though I might like to. Still, I'm keeping up with my indoor walking. The biggest danger is catching up to podcasts to the point where I have to wait a week or 2 for the next episode. :P (trying to stretch it out by limiting my listening to one longer one a day, with some shorter stuff or music otherwise)

• Like 7

Yes that era if SNL was really popular. I dont have many memories of the early seasons as it wasn't on any Canadian networks. 

Where I spent my weekends was just on the fringe of getting channels from Rochester NY. I spent a lot of Saturday nights babysitting for a family down the street (ace moment in my books). They had a taller TV tower and sometimes I'd luck out and get to watch some of the show before it faded into snow.

• Like 7

Relaxing while eating breakfast this Monday holiday, Memorial day in the U.S.    I was contemplating going hiking at Monte Bello today but the forecast is for a high of 90F/32C and I'm not sure I want to be hiking in that kind of heat.    I may shift my hike to my local park near the bay where it might be a little cooler.   I'll decide in another hour or so.   

Have not seen any crowds not socially distancing in my town of Mountain View.   Lots of people out hiking but so far I haven't seen people stopped in large groups close to each other.    

Have decided to walk at Shoreline  at ~9 am.   Got a route in mind.   I find myself relaxing at the thought of not having to step in my car to get there and find parking.   I can just leave from my door!

Cathy

• Like 7

Fried rice turned out ok, but not as good.😕

Not much else to say, but I wanted to post on this page, as 1217 is my birthday. 😜

Back to cleaning...:rolleyes:

• Like 12
1 hour ago, will123 said:

Yes that era if SNL was really popular. I dont have many memories of the early seasons

I started watching it in the early days, with the original cast. That was right around the time I was first eligible to vote, and my political interests were heightened due to things like Nixon/Watergate, the Vietnam war, the ecology and civil rights movements, and all of the stuff from the 60s and early 70s. I guess it's similar to why I like to watch some of the late night talk show comedians these days. Some laughs alongside the politics of the day. :) 

• Like 8