anyone past 50 on here?

We are having a nice cool day here, and some good rain this afternoon! :D 

• Like 7

I got home from the coast an hour ago.  When I got about 20 minutes from Portland, alerts started showing up on my phone saying there was going to be a city-wide curfew in affect from 8 tonight until 6 tomorrow morning.  My first thought was that there had been a Covid outbreak, but when I got home and checked the news I found out that a protest last night over the death of George Floyd had turned into rioting, looting, and extensive property damage in downtown Portland.

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

I got home from the coast an hour ago.  When I got about 20 minutes from Portland, alerts started showing up on my phone saying there was going to be a city-wide curfew in affect from 8 tonight until 6 tomorrow morning.  My first thought was that there had been a Covid outbreak, but when I got home and checked the news I found out that a protest last night over the death of George Floyd had turned into rioting, looting, and extensive property damage in downtown Portland.

Yikes :( 

It's been quiet out here, so I wasn't even aware of that.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, daveb said:

It's been quiet out here, so I wasn't even aware of that

Ditto here; being inside most of today with my windows shut and the air conditioning on, I belatedly learned scrolling my news feed that protests here also turned violent, with stores looted and police cars burned just a short distance from my home. We’re under curfew too. Don’t know how I was previously oblivious to the ongoing sounds of sirens and news helicopters outside.  

• Like 8
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

a protest last night over the death of George Floyd had turned into rioting, looting, and extensive property damage in downtown Portland.

That’s my night tonite here.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, cdrdash said:

I hurt my right foot last Sunday.   At the time I thought it was OK but after two more days of doing walks/hikes on it, it was super sore.  So I have decided to ice it and give it a rest for several days and for this weekend go on bike rides.   Riding the bike does not seem to stress the hurt part (right heel near achilles tendon) and it gives me the exercise I want.  Here are pictures from my bike ride today:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/paemm6mmkiQMZ27P7 .   Light rain was predicted today but it seemed to stay in the Santa Cruz and Diablo mountain ranges and not come to the valley.   I stayed dry the entire bike ride!  The nicest thing was the super hot weather in the mid week left!

Nice pics. How many miles did you ride? Yes it has cooled off here in this part of the continent too LOL Highs near 30* C last week to frost warnings half an hour north of me.

• Like 8

A local person passed away the other week and when I was reading his obituary in the local monthly mag', I came across this passage (I've changed the names)

cherished father of Colin Anderson and Brenda Anderson, a.k.a. James Dunlop and their partner, Christine.

(I hope my mother doesn't read it as I'll have to play stupid. No doubt she'll ask me what it's all about)

Anyways does the adjective 'their' refer to the siblings or the person with two identities?

Chatting with a friend and she mentioned seeing the death notice as well and said that Brenda identified as queer. She was puzzled by use of the word (she's much too young to have been around when it was a common insult) growing up in the country. I told her that I didn't really want to discuss it on line, but would explain it when we talked in person (she knows I'm asexual). She thought that was a good idea.

I imagine there are a lot of people around here asking, "Martha what the hell does this mean?"

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Kelly said:

I am just 61, but my plan is to live to 70 without yet getting Alzheimer's (my mom and her mom had it, so...). I have already had COVID-19 and survived, so I am on a roll.

Congratulations for surviving the virus.  You are the first person I've personally heard from that has beat it.  It is reassuring to hear that you have recovered.  I hope you can avoid Altzheimer's as well.

Nice pics, @cdrdash

Today I fixed the water line that supplies the greenhouse.  I took Penney down to the river and let her play in the water of a sidestream - she really enjoyed it and we didn;t have to go near the raging waters of the main river.  We played fetch several times today.  I got my greenhouse fully planted and watered well.  We are having a little rainstorm tonight.  

The riots and other events of our nation seem like a distant reality to me while I am secluded here in the mountains, without television; maybe I should not even read the grim news on the internet.  

• Like 10

They’re not seeming distant to me just now.  I don’t live right in the city but my workplace and several of our facilities are right in the thick of it and trouble is currently less than five miles from my house.  Ugh.

• Like 7
40 minutes ago, will123 said:

How many miles did you ride?

Looks like nearly 8 miles/13 km according to the map. :D 

21 minutes ago, will123 said:

Anyways does the adjective 'their' refer to the siblings or the person with two identities?

Took me a few seconds to parse that quote, but I'd say the "their" is referring to Brenda, aka James. (at first I thought it was Colin and Brenda were aka James and Christine)

• Like 9

I walked over 30,000 steps in my house yesterday. Slacked off a bit today and only did around 22,000 steps. :) 

I am enjoying the nice cooler day with rain. :D 

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, daveb said:

Looks like nearly 8 miles/13 km according to the map. :D 

Took me a few seconds to parse that quote, but I'd say the "their" is referring to Brenda, aka James. (at first I thought it was Colin and Brenda were aka James and Christine)

I never thought of that, but just shows how people probably will struggle with the meaning.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

I walked over 30,000 steps in my house yesterday. Slacked off a bit today and only did around 22,000 steps. :) 

I am enjoying the nice cooler day with rain. :D 

WOW!

I'd hate to know how many I take at our woodlot. It would likely make me feel tired LOL

• Like 8
Just now, will123 said:

I'd hate to know how many I take at our woodlot. It would likely make me feel tired LOL

:lol: 

• Like 8
Skycaptain

@cdrdash, hope your injury heals soon. ( Couldn't resist, sorry 😋😋).

Great photos. 

Hope those riots stop, and nobody gets caught up in them. 

Update from up high. Apparently it was something external to our host server which has been causing connectivity issues. This should have been resolved 

• Like 10

I woke up to a lovely sunny but crisp morning, and birds are chirping outside my window. But it’s not at all lovely just a few minutes away, as I learned more about the extent of last night’s looting. Several major shopping streets nearby sustained significant damage, and there were at least scattered incidents in my immediate neighborhood. I feel fortunate to be safe, but am saddened, frustrated and alarmed about what a mess this country is in.:(

• Like 7

Looting here finally stopped a little after daybreak.  Hopefully tonite does not bring another round.  All public transportation is shut down until tomorrow and they’ve already announced another curfew for tonite.

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

they’ve already announced another curfew for tonite.

Same here. Some looting may still be going on this morning.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

Looting here finally stopped a little after daybreak.  Hopefully tonite does not bring another round.

Alas, it has started up again already.

• Like 4

I saw the clip of the Atlanta mayor's announcement/speech. Truer words were never spoken.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, daveb said:

I walked over 30,000 steps in my house yesterday.

You’ve inspired me, @daveb. With a lot of nervous energy but reluctant to stroll around outside today, I just downloaded a pedometer app and within a few minutes walked 500 steps in my home. If I want to match your total, I guess I just need to do that 60 more times today.:o

• Like 8
13 hours ago, will123 said:

Nice pics. How many miles did you ride? Yes it has cooled off here in this part of the continent too LOL Highs near 30* C last week to frost warnings half an hour north of me.

8 miles.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@cdrdash, hope your injury heals soon. ( Couldn't resist, sorry 😋😋).

Great photos. 

I had to pause at this and think about what you couldn't resist which needed an apology.  Is it the pun of a heel healing?

Cathy

• Like 7
Skycaptain

@cdrdash, your correct 😋😋

Beginning to see the first gentle signs that work is picking up. 

This afternoon's hike with my sister was interesting. Note to self never trust an Explorer's group leader to read a map. My "looking at the sun"  navigation was more successful 

• Like 7
13 hours ago, daveb said:

Both of those numbers are huge!!!

• Like 9

Got up today to find out the mayor of San Francisco, London Breed, has declared a curfew in San Francisco starting at 8 p.m. tonight.  I'm watching the news now and protests are spreading outside the United States now.   Wow.   Just sort of taking it all in and processing it all now in my peaceful safe home.   

I'm going to have some lunch and head out for another bike ride this afternoon.   Then later in the day I'll be having a zoom meeting with my family.  I expect we will discuss the protests etc.   

Cathy

• Like 8
On 5/30/2020 at 1:14 PM, Kelly said:

I am just 61, but my plan is to live to 70 without yet getting Alzheimer's (my mom and her mom had it, so...).

Hope you achieve your goal! I too am 61, and also fear Alzheimer's. My mom didn't have it (that we know of) but her two sisters did. Every time I can't remember something, I worry that it's the beginning. 😟

Due to the pandemic I have had my job duties altered--I have been pulled from my regular position working as a medical assistant in a specialty office and been sent to other depts (mostly in the hospital) as needed. One of the places is in the in-patient physical rehab department and many of the patients are younger than I am. Some are there to rehab from broken bones, but others have had strokes or other medical issues. It has made me reapply myself to getting healthier!  

• Like 11

My siblings and I have a long term text conversation going on. One sibling apparently posted something on FaceBook that was misconstrued by other people and caused problems for another sibling. Now the 2 siblings are very upset with each other, to the extent of not only wanting to cut each other out of communications, but everyone else, too. A simple human mistake, lots of tension, misunderstanding, and high emotions. :( I hope cooler heads and some time/space will help the situation.

On the note of health as we get older, some of my siblings who are closer to my age are experiencing more health issues of various sorts (illness, some long term long-standing health issues, and some physical issues from things like wear and tear over the years). Some of them sound like old people. One of my sisters and myself have very few such issues luckily. I think part of it is life choices and part is just "luck of the draw".

Today is pretty nice, partly cloudy, mild temps. :) 

• Like 8
Diana DeLuna

@daveb, oh no. How uncomfortable. My mother and her sister (my aunt) were recently in a blowout over politics and racism on Facebook, and I inadvertently stepped into the middle of it. So I get the awkwardness.

• Like 9