file sharing places

(SP)

does anyone know which one of these places (only the free version, because i'm poor(and cheap anyway)is the best....some of these places seem to have a crappy selction, and others i've been told will give you pop-up ads like the plague

any suggestions?

any advice, etc?

I'm assuming you're using windows, so Kazaa Lite is probably the best.

For people on Macs, using the new operating systems I recommend Aquisition, but for OS 9, the only one I know of is LimeWire (available for Mac9 & X/Windows/Linux). Both use Gnutella, and they do connect up to PC networks as well...

guardianoftheblind

I heard Kazaa lite was going to start including spyware and that garbage now.

I've recently gone with WinMX, Kazaa lite was running really slow (probably had too many incomplete files sitting around). The chatrooms on WinMX are kindof helpful, you can find users with similar interests to browse and download from.

Live R Perfect
thank's for the mention about mac's in this windows centric world. Let me know about any other tips

Hear-hear! Power to the Macs! I'm fed up of not being able to download certain things because I don't use a Windows PC at home. GRRRRR.... And I can't even use MSN Messenger any more because I don't run it on OS X. DOUBLE GRRRRRR..... :x

Live R Perfect

Yeah... it used to work for OS9 until they decided to stop that without any warning. I do have the OS X operating system but I can't be bothered to install it as it doesn't work with half the software I already have....pain in the ass.... :evil:

Live R Perfect

Hmmm... I don't remember seeing the option for OS 9.2.2 before....

I'll have to check exactly which version I have at home, but I THINK I might just have updated to 9.2.2.

Thanks for that Rose :D

From what I was told LimeWire does work with OS 9, and I am pretty sure that msn messenger still works on OS 9 as well... unless in the last few month Microsoft has been a pain (which is like them) and has stopped the OS 9 version from functioning... :?

Live R Perfect

Yeah, messenger is now working with OS 9.2.2 and above. Good job I upgraded from 9.1 recently, isn't it?

Limewire? Whats that exactly? :?

Inkburrow: When you installed Kazaa Lite, it should have given you an option to check if you wanted to block RIAA suspected IPs. If you didn't notice, I believe it was already checked for you. You can doublecheck by going to Options, then Kazaa Lite K++ Options, and seeing if "Block bad IP ranges (eg RIAA)" is checked off or not.

LimeWire is a Gnutella client for P2P downloading.

http://www.limewire.com

and I did check, it is available for Classic (OS 9). The download page for the free version (there is a pro version which doesn't have an ad at the bottem and doesn't have a nag screen, but no real difference) is at: http://www.limewire.com/english/content/downloadfree.shtml

Kazaa Lite K++ (note there are two Kazaa Lites) from kplusplus.tk, and WinMX. It is better to use WinMX for more popular stuff and Kazaa for more hard to find stuff as each has strengths and weaknesses.

• 11 months later...

okay, it's almost a year later since this last post, I just wanted to know if there are any new movie download programs besides the already mentioned ones like Kazaa Lite K++, WinMX, LimeWire, Direct Connect?

I download music with a program called WinMX. Although... downloading music in America is illegal... so we never had this conversation! *runs away*

A great program for downloading movies is BitTorrent. You can also download TV programs and complete music CDs through this program (it's best for large files like those).

For individual songs, some movies, and other media (like software, etc.) I have been using eDonkey2000!

the problem of BitTorrent is that they don't have a centralized search engine and it makes it difficult to find anything :)

I use emule network (overnel client or mldonkey) and am quite satisfied with it :) The problem is that local policy is to ban any p2p software, so I need to be tricky :P

Archived