Panic buying in the UK (and rest of the world!)

Chloe88

Tomorrow I have a few uni friends coming over for a night in and I was planning to do a mac and cheese and a salad dish which used wild rice. So I go to the supermarket and find the pasta aisle picked clean, same for rice including wild rice which few people buy. Wow. Apparently due to coronovirus!

Anyway, I see that the toilet paper aisle wiped clean and people buying lots of packs of paper napkins, I'm guessing they want to use this as substitite. 

I let my sister know later and she says that she saw people buying 6 month supply of toilet paper last night (several 18-pack packets). Not because they happen to shit like a horse but for some reason it's to do with coronovirus.

I'm just going to make some vegetables pies and casseroles instead and I'm panic buying a single thing. As for toilet paper I have 7 rolls in my house which will last me 3 - 4 weeks.

I really feel sorry for people in need who buy these things day to day or only keep a few days extra supply. They will suffer because of stupid behaviour. Transparently all baby wipes have been wiped clean as well!

My friend works in a home for people with disabilities. They're running out of toilet paper.

I just hope people calm down soon. This is absolutely bonkers.

I haven't seen panic buying like that here yet but yesterday I went to buy some liquid hand soap and the store was out of it. Now I'm wondering if that was related.. 

People here are definitely panic buying and I don't really get it. Having a few extra soap and cleaners? Sure. Everything else? You can still go outside. 😐 You just have to be mindful.

Lord Jade Cross
34 minutes ago, Starbogen said:

I haven't seen panic buying like that here yet but yesterday I went to buy some liquid hand soap and the store was out of it. Now I'm wondering if that was related.. 

I can vouch that people are panic buying. Hand sanitizers are gone, alcohol bottles are gone,Lysol spray cans are being stolen etc

I haven't seen any evidence of panic buying around my neck of the woods, went to the shop this morning and soap, surface cleaner etc. where all well stocked.

1 minute ago, Jade Cross said:

I can vouch that people are panic buying. Hand sanitizers are gone, alcohol bottles are gone,Lysol spray cans are being stolen etc

Damn.. I haven't seen it yet but I'm also not the one who does the shopping regularly at my house so yeah that's probably why. 

The worst thing is that it's probably just going to get worse way before it gets better. 

Britain panic-buys at the least excuse, 

I live in the USA. We panic buy worse than the UK.

I’ve been to Sprouts a few times and there was still plenty of food and stuff. Although I did notice the shelf where they have toilet paper was empty, which I thought was funny because personally if I were stocking up on toilet paper I’d buy the cheap stuff from Food 4 Less, not the expensive hippie stuff.

The whole response to Covid19 is just completely insane. It's a flu virus which is a bit worse than regular seasonal flu, both in terms of seriousness and rates of infection. It's completely weird.

Can we have Brexit back please?

1 hour ago, Ennis said:

My friend works in a home for people with disabilities. They're running out of toilet paper.

I just hope people calm down soon. This is absolutely bonkers.

That exactly.

Some places just don't keep lots of supplies and they buy as and when needed.

I work for a company that rents out short and long term residential properties and we are fearing that our customers will actually start to make off with toilet rolls in the short term stay properties.

We don't keep more than 2 weeks supply and if we have people taking them, then we'd have issues.

I personally think that once people have bought their hearts desire of toilet paper, supplies will be back to normal in a week.

Absolute morons.

@123383, no, because until next January we're in a limboland where everything stays the same 

Doubt it. People go apeshit when the shops close over Christmas too. Most people don't really understand how integrated the supply chain is with Europe anyhow.

I think it's more that the media has (en masse, for once) got its teeth into a nice juicy panic-at-the-Other story. Public health officials have decided people are less likely to panic if the authorities are transparent, which means they've shared worst case scenario preparations with the media, and the media are jumping on them in a very un-nuanced way. Humans remember shocking and potentially dangerous simple things better than more mundane and complicated things, governments feel impelled to act on media and public pressure, and it spirals.

Probably not. The actual, appalling, effects of Brexit will start small small and gradually increase, mostly, and not be obviously connected unless you know the particular sector. This will mean the Brexiteers can deny they're happening, then minimise them, then blame everybody else.

RoseGoesToYale

The water buying is the most ridiculous. Even if you had to quarantine, you wouldn't get your water shut off, and the water that comes out of the tap does not and will not contain viruses because it goes through sanitation plants before going out into homes. It's the same damn thing with last minute hurricane panic down here. Everybody goes and buys all the water (and soda, and beer...) when you can literally just fill up reusable jugs with tap water!

Shop assistant: are you stocking up because of the corona virus?

Shopper (not me): no this is just my weekly shop 😂

You're right, though. Remember the panic buying of petrol a couple of years ago? I have to drive to work because there's no public transport and almost couldn't because of idiots panic buying fuel when there was no need. Can't even the trigger back then.

I've heard about the panic buying on Twitter and the radio but I've just been to Tesco and everything was still stocked as normal.

Then again 'self-isolation' in the north east probably means a 14 day lock-in at the nearest pub.

2 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

Tomorrow I have a few uni friends coming over for a night in and I was planning to do a mac and cheese and a salad dish which used wild rice.

Have you ever tried Mac and Cheese pancakes?

28 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

The water buying is the most ridiculous. Even if you had to quarantine, you wouldn't get your water shut off, and the water that comes out of the tap does not and will not contain viruses because it goes through sanitation plants before going out into homes.

It doesn't always work! Have you heard about E. coli outbreak in Ontario that happened ten years ago?

RoseGoesToYale
1 minute ago, uniQChick said:

It doesn't always work! Have you heard about E. coli outbreak in Ontario that happened ten years ago?

Bacteria in water is common, and thankfully the really nasty stuff is not as spreadable as viruses (usually shutting off water or putting out public boil-water advisories are enough to prevent a major outbreak of bacterial infection). But viruses (like the common cold, H1N1, influenza, etc.) do not get spread by drinking water from a tap.

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

It's getting a bit silly here. Supermarkets have had to put a limit on, of all things, toilet paper. Most other things are fine, but really?

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor, possible text that says 'Prime minister: "We believe the risk of a global pandemic is very much upon us" us" Australians: Must get toilet paper made with mematic'

People are stocking up in Belgium as well. The disinfectant is sold out but there is still plenty of choice in the food department. Life did not stop yet: busses and trains are still full of people.

Here sick people should stay quarantined at home (unless in really critical condition). So no hospital food but we need to feed ourselves in the meantime! I live alone and my family won't help me with the groceries because they are in the risk group. So I made sure that I can survive a week or two at home in case I get sick. At worst I can get deliveries if this lasts longer. I don't have the place or money to stock up for months!

Wow. I've only seen that kind of thing happen when there's a big hurricane coming. 

I've been seeing lots of postings about how to wash your hands properly and stuff like that. It's pretty crazy

We have a standing earthquake preparedness kit with water, food, and other supplies, since that can happen at any time. I haven't seen any stores around here especially depleted, but I haven't been looking for masks or other medical supplies. I wish people would have a better understanding of what exactly is entailed before mass purchasing. I did see some woman buy like 3 cases of water the other day.

We have enough soap and sanitizer to last a good while, so I'm not worried.

1 minute ago, Moonman said:

I want to catch it, two weeks off work is two weeks off work.

Unless you don't have sick leave, then it means your ass is basically fired. So many people in the US will be continuing to work while sick.

Archived