Panic buying in the UK (and rest of the world!)

Chloe88

Whore*of*Mensa

Woman at work: 'I've been stockpiling in case I have to self isolate.'

Me: 'What, have you bought loads of tins of food?'

Woman: 'No, alcohol. I don't want to run out!' 😂

On the one hand, I think the panic is silly but on the other hand there have been several cases of coronavirus in my area.  Obviously if I catch it the unselfish thing to do is to stay in the house and not wander out to the shops all the time, infecting everyone else. So it would be sensible to have enough food to last a couple of weeks.

I don't really get the toilet roll thing unless everyone uses toilet roll to blow their nose like us?! I never remember to buy tissues!

Blaiddmelyn

I got annoyed by the panic buying so I did some panic buying for the food bank the other day. Which is less impressive than it sounds when you realise I'm not very strong and therefore couldn't physically carry that much around the shops. Still, I figure if I run out of food and have to self-isolate, I'll do online shopping … since they can leave it on my doorstep and ring my door.

It kind of shows how unprepared people are for disasters because ideally you should already have a stash of food and supplies in handy just in case.

I’d hate to think how people would react during a really big disaster if this has people panicking.

The general impression I get is a few shopophiliacs having a huge buygasm completely distorting the picture whilst the majority may be buying one extra bag of pasta/rice and a few tins to be on the safe side. 

9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

The general impression I get is a few shopophiliacs having a huge buygasm completely distorting the picture whilst the majority may be buying one extra bag of pasta/rice and a few tins to be on the safe side. 

Not my experience - but maybe Banbury folk are trying to corner the market in toilet rolls,handwash, and pasta 🤣

As long as they are just panic-buying soap, I guess things could get worse.

When they buy resources needed by health care providers (like respirator masks), I'm getting a tad annoyed 😕

And I sure as heck hope this won't have a major impact on food production - places shut down all over the place, and if they follow that same approach for farms and other food production facilities, things could get scary 😕 (I'm glad I'm living in the largest food exporting country in the world... albeit certainly not the largest net exporter now that I'm looking at it. Dangit, I shouldn't have looked into that :D)

Nothing to worry. The industry is already working on a new type of loo roll to meet the higher demand.

_111211978_p0866z5t.jpg

In China if people did that they'd be shot. As Britain is nearly owned by China now, maybe we should follow their policy, it might result in common sense returning 

I've just checked on the availibility of thermometers. Guess how many you can find... :lol:

At least the head of Tesco has spoken out, and said there's no need to panic buy, there's plenty of stock in the supply chain. 

5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

At least the head of Tesco has spoken out, and said there's no need to panic buy, there's plenty of stock in the supply chain. 

Unfortunately, soon as they get onto the shop floor, they're sold out.

Although my son works for Morrison's, about 2 miles away from Tesco, and they have plenty of toilet rolls. 

Point I read today - why worry about anti bac products when it's a VIRUS, and anti bacterials are ineffective against viruses.

@Tanwen, I'd let that slip through unnoticed as well. But as my method was "I have a couple of unused bars of soap from the last four pack, I have one bottle of Dettol for kitty puke, and I have a few weeks worth of boggo, why panic" 

Unless the government will pay me to sit idle if I get it, I'll carry on working. Others may die, but I'd lose my home and business, so it's their call. Just the static costs for my business and keeping a roof over my head are £600 per week without buying food. As I'm self employed I'm not entitled to anything. It will be needs do as needs must, and if 100 die because of it, our prime minister will be personally responsible for every one 

1 hour ago, CBC said:

The whole time she was on about the TP shortage, I was just thinking... go steal some? McDonald's, coffee shop, mall, health clinic, whatever. Even for those who are more... morally-inclined than myself, shall we say... if you're totally out of the stuff and desperate for it, petty theft seems reasonable.

I wouldn’t consider it theft honestly. It’s there for us to use ain’t it? Kind of reminds me of how my great-grandma used to take coffee creamers and ketchup packets when she’d go to restaurants. She had a whole drawer full of that stuff. At least it’s not as bad as when my sister and her husband sometimes take cups and silverware from restaurants.

20 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

I wouldn’t consider it theft honestly. It’s there for us to use ain’t it?

Well yeah, but if enough people rationalize taking large amounts of it then there isn't any there for others to use..

I don’t get why people are hoarding toilet paper though. Like, are they expecting to go through that much if they’re quarantined for a couple weeks?

In a pinch, there's always the junk mail that seems to get delivered most days here. :P 

Wow, even Amazon is sold out of soap. The local store is stripped, too. Iti s scary to actually see. A bit curious how toilet paper is the thing people are noticing missing the most.

At lunch time, 2 work colleagues went to the local super market at lunch time after the announcement that schools, colleges, creches, cultural sitess etc etc were to close from 6pm

It was pandemic fueled pandemonium 

Janus the Fox

Crazy... There's a or was a £1,000,000 E-bay auction for 3 rolls of toilet paper.  Searching 'Toilet Paper' and sorting by 'Highest to Lowest' may turn up some.... interesting results, at the least the British E-Bay past the last 3 days 😛

Yeah... you can't find soap, hand sanitizer or toilet paper here. I have soap and hand sanitizer but if I run outta TP I'm gonna be annoyed :P 

Even commercial suppliers are running low. 

One store on the news was selling hand sanitizer for $79 a bottle ... 

Archived