Panic buying in the UK (and rest of the world!)

Chloe88

6 minutes ago, CBC said:

Do people know they could just buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol...? Sure, a tad more messy, but same damn thing. 

That is sold out too. And regular drinking alcohol. And a lot of canned food. And... basically anything people think they might use if quarantined for a month. 

Just now, CBC said:

Hahaha. Sweeeeet. Well, I've a nice supply of both isopropyl alcohol and vodka, so I'm good. 😎

I have hand sanitizer! And .... not a lot of food... and probably not that much TP. Hm. I might be in trouble. 😛 

Though, what I need to do is buy a good lotion. OMG my hands are so sore from all the hand washing at work. I work with kids so I'm trying to be hygienic as possible but my skin is starting to crack from it. 

On 3/11/2020 at 8:46 PM, Skycaptain said:

In China if people did that they'd be shot. As Britain is nearly owned by China now, maybe we should follow their policy, it might result in common sense returning 

Looks like China has managed to get a handle on the coronovirus situation and reduce the number of infections, if the reports are true. I applaud them if they really have managed to do this.

China went to pretty extreme lengths, and it was successful. The question is if other countries can implement those kinds of techniques. We might get close, now with schools closing and stuff, but the question is how much the governments want to spend on social support (particularly in America)

Aimeendfire

also went shopping today and most of the rice was gone...all the meat (except for the organic stuff XD) ll the cleaning supplies and all the water.

My hunt for Lysol will continue tomorrow

Janus the Fox

Bread and milk too in places... Because of course brigs go for the bread and milk, not just for snow days.

Why stock up on bread and milk? 

It'll get sour or go stale

I can't get over the toilet paper mass stocking.... it's not even a symptom, seriously, what the hell?

1 hour ago, Cimmerian said:

I can't get over the toilet paper mass stocking.... it's not even a symptom, seriously, what the hell?

It is silly, but at least it will keep and can be used eventually. Some people even use it for some crafts. 

Janus the Fox

That is certainly one way to pass the time 😛

I did my normal weekly shop yesterday, the level of stock on the supermarket shelves was way down compared to normal, and there were a lot of shelves which were completely empty. I was unable to buy about half of the things that I usually buy. I really don't want to succumb to this panic buying behaviour because I believe it is somewhat irresponsible and selfish, but I have to wonder: In a situation where everybody else is panic buying, can one afford to be the only person who is NOT panic buying? The thought of literally running out of food and being unable to source more because nowhere has any stock scares me much more than the thought of catching the virus.

andreas1033
3 minutes ago, Ortac said:

I really don't want to succumb to this panic buying behaviour because I believe it is somewhat irresponsible and selfish, but I have to wonder: In a situation where everybody else is panic buying, can one afford to be the only person who is NOT panic buying? The thought of literally running out of food and being unable to source more because nowhere has any stock scares me much more than the thought of catching the virus.

Although i totally think everyone should take this convid19 seriously. I have not panicked bought, as people do not understand humans can live on very little.

Even people i remember in my mums family, living on farms, just lived on a few slices of bread, and tea all day while working on there farm.

So i have seen, that humans can get by on very little food.

This is why i personally would not panic buy. I could not afford to anyway, but that is beside the point. There is nothing wrong with buying a few extra things in these moments, to make sure you have something, in case your area gets hit.

But remember people, you can live on very little amount of foods, for the short periods. Large parts of this world, people live on very little. Most of your ancestors lived on very little food. But obviously there food quality may of been better qualtiy to most of the rubbish we eat today.

So thats why i think people do not need to panic. Yep, take it serious as you all play a role in this, but remember that you can live on very little, if it did come to that moment.

I would not be surprised if people in very poor countries, could live on a few slices of bread, and a cup of water a day, as they have too. Of course it would not be nice, but you could do it.

People just need to just buy a few extra things each week, to try to make sure they are not left with nothing.

What i wrote above is why toilet roll is the massive thing people do not want to live without.

Think sensibly about what you could potentially need in moments like this.

So just remember if it came to it, you could live on very little.

This is why i did not stock up before this(i tought quite alot about stocking up before this happened), or now. So like i said, even though yes you should take this seriously. Just think to yourself, what would you need most if it came down to it.

From what my sister has just told me, today in England it is far, far worse and she could not get the baby food she wanted to buy for my nephew. But it's ok, he won't go without and my sister will just feed him other foods.

Apparently people have been queing outside the supermarkets and emptying everything and people are all said be be nasty and selfish in attitude.

And we sometimes critisize other countries for being "animals" and "savages".

This is really sad to see.

I’m kind of a casual prepper, so I already have some canned food, a couple packs of food bars that have a 5 year shelf life, a bunch of water bottles, and other supplies. Haven’t needed to use any of it yet though, and I was still able to buy the food I usually eat when I went to the store the other day. I really don’t use antibacterial stuff to be honest, I just use regular soap, which I was still able to find when I went to the store. 

If I do end up having to eat from my emergency stash because I can’t find any food next time I go shopping imma be like “Thanks a lot panic buyers, I could’ve saved that for a big earthquake or solar flare or something”.

1 hour ago, Chloe88 said:

and people are all said be be nasty and selfish in attitude

I doubt *all* people are that way but yeah, people are scared and maybe they're feeling defensive? Not everyone is sensitive enough to think of how taking more than they need is affecting others.

Blaiddmelyn

The thing is, if people hadn't gone out and panic bought to begin with, people wouldn't need to panic buy. All people needed was some common sense... When I was in Tescos yesterday, I saw people literally piling their baskets with pasta. Self-isolation is meant to be up to 14 days. How much pasta can one person eat in 14 days? It takes me ages to get through one pack!

That said, a mate of mine suggested it might be because of how you deal with stress. Taking some kind of action makes you feel better, even if it won't actually help or may even hurt in the long run - it's the feeling of doing something that helps apparently.

2 hours ago, Chloe88 said:

This is really sad to see.

Yeah, I was told I was crazy for going to Hong Kong a few weeks ago. 

I then returned and was grilled more heavily by some clients that found out. 

Their mentality is that in China, they are nasty so it's a death sentence to head there. 

Even though am not chinese, I felt I had to correct them. 

Hong Kong, Taiwan and even in some cases South Korea have shown how you handle these types of events. 

People ridiculed them for wearing masks, yet they quickly stabilized their situations. 

Canada where I am, is just at the tip of their iceberg and are far less densely populated.

My pregnant sister was at the grocery, and had this entitled suburban mom coughing on her neck. 

Like not only is she too good to wear a face mask, but the entitlement in some being sick telling themselves its "just a flu" completely care free of the others that surround you.

It's this exact attitude, which is why you will see numbers skyrocket in countries like Canada and the US. 

I never once felt unsafe going to the malls in HK.

I dread having to do groceries, but refuse to panic buy so just pick off peak times.

Shit has got real, folks

Ireland's closing the pubs

Phantasmal Fingers
4 hours ago, Blaiddmelyn said:

The thing is, if people hadn't gone out and panic bought to begin with, people wouldn't need to panic buy. All people needed was some common sense... When I was in Tescos yesterday, I saw people literally piling their baskets with pasta. Self-isolation is meant to be up to 14 days. How much pasta can one person eat in 14 days? It takes me ages to get through one pack!

That said, a mate of mine suggested it might be because of how you deal with stress. Taking some kind of action makes you feel better, even if it won't actually help or may even hurt in the long run - it's the feeling of doing something that helps apparently.

And the run on toilet paper was interesting, don't you think? In Freudian terms it's the anally fixated in panic mode! 😮

On 3/8/2020 at 7:00 PM, Gatto said:

Mainly firearms.

Boggles the mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

The staff at my local Tesco told me today that people are buying crazy amounts of eggs now. :blink:

nanogretchen4

My neighborhood CVS is out of thermometers and running low on dish washing liquid and ordinary bar soap. Yesterday my neighborhood grocery coop was out of tomatoes, potatoes, and onions. I think I got the last package of fresh green beans. Except for a few items there are still plenty of groceries. I happened to stock up on shelf stable foods several months ago, just for convenience since no one was expecting shortages back then.

1 hour ago, timewarp said:

The staff at my local Tesco told me today that people are buying crazy amounts of eggs now. :blink:

Next thing you know they will be going for the pineapple pizza and vegan foods. :P 

The supermarket on my way home has  put tape on the floor to show exclusion zones

You put the shopping on the till, step back beyond exclusion zone, the till operator scans the items, laser card tap preferred, then till operator stands back, you collect items and go. 

1 hour ago, nanogretchen4 said:

My neighborhood CVS is out of thermometers

I've actually been looking for a thermometer, without any success. Not that I really *need* one (in my opinion), but the government advice keeps referring to body temperature and I have no idea how to determine mine without a thermometer. *shrugs*

1 hour ago, iff said:

The supermarket on my way home has  put tape on the floor to show exclusion zones

You put the shopping on the till, step back beyond exclusion zone, the till operator scans the items, laser card tap preferred, then till operator stands back, you collect items and go. 

All very nice, but as long as anybody touches the items I strongly doubt it's much use.

andreas1033
Just now, timewarp said:

I've actually been looking for a thermometer, without any success. Not that I really *need* one (in my opinion), but the government advice keeps referring to body temperature and I have no idea how to determine mine without a thermometer. *shrugs*

You can also buy one of those thermal thermometers, that use a laser.

There has been a huge uptake in demand, for thermal imagers, and such things with this virus. SO you may find it harder, to find.

Archived