Good Omens!

Wikkit

Anybody else absolutely loving it?

Anybody think it's a bit 'meh'?

Anybody hate it?

I finished it yesterday and absolutely loved it. The casting was so good for every character and really amazing to watch. I can't wait to re-watch it again. I loved Michael and David they made such a great partnership with the characters, i honestly can't choose who i liked more out of both of Aziraphale or Crowley. Maybe Aziraphale due to his love of food but honestly it is so hard they were both such great characters. I also loved all of the random UK presenters and Actors they had cameo and pop up in it. I've not watched a show that i genuinely wanted to press the Start from Beginning option right away for a long time. I will definitely be buying it on Blu-Ray when it gets released. 

I have to say though i have not yet read the book, my copy should arrive tomorrow. I often find i don't like shows or films if i have read the book first because stuff is never quite right, so i made the decision to wait and read after the show. But from all the comments i have seen from their Twitter pages it seems to have been pretty accurate to the book.

A. Sterling

Oh my gosh, I finished it just about as soon as it came out. I loved it. Man, I only wish I hadn't gone through it so fast. I had been waiting for it to come out for a while though. 

A. Sterling
33 minutes ago, Lilsi said:

i honestly can't choose who i liked more out of both of Aziraphale or Crowley. Maybe Aziraphale due to his love of food but honestly it is so hard they were both such great characters.

I'm team Crowley, I have to say. Although I can definitely identify with Aziraphale's food obsession. I'm seriously more likely to be bribed by a well cooked salmon fillet than $500. 

33 minutes ago, Lilsi said:

I have to say though i have not yet read the book, my copy should arrive tomorrow. I often find i don't like shows or films if i have read the book first because stuff is never quite right, so i made the decision to wait and read after the show. But from all the comments i have seen from their Twitter pages it seems to have been pretty accurate to the book.

Ah, man I need to get the books. Probably should have bought them before the show came out though, shouldn't I? 

@A. Sterling TEAM CROWLEY. They're both wonderful portrayals of amazing characters, but for sheer flair it's got to be Crowley. 

@Lilsi I have read and adore the book, and usually get a bit nervous when a book I love is being adapted, but I trusted this one from the start XD and I wasn't disappointed! It was almost perfect. I also cannot wait to rewatch and catch half the things I probably missed first time around... 

The one thing that did grate with me occasionally was the narration, but that's probably because I've read the book so I already 'know' most of what it tells you :) it was the perfect way to get some of the footnotes in! 

Luftschlosseule

Neil Gaiman said his goal was to make something Terry Pratchett would like, and as a fan of both their works and the book Good Omens I think he did an awesome job. I will definetly watch it again in the future and tell all my folk to read it. Again.

I only missed

Spoiler

The other four rider of the apocalypse

But we got so much more fun stuff! And Pollution is non-binary!

4 hours ago, A. Sterling said:

I'm team Crowley, I have to say. Although I can definitely identify with Aziraphale's food obsession. I'm seriously more likely to be bribed by a well cooked salmon fillet than $500. 

Ah, man I need to get the books. Probably should have bought them before the show came out though, shouldn't I? 

The book is pretty  cheap on Amazon at the moment. That is where i ordered mine from.  I thought Aziraphale was just really cute, i loved his reactions to when Crowley did something nice for him.

Spoiler

save the books from the bomb

I did go a bit gooey after that scene haha.

1 hour ago, Wikkit said:

@Lilsi I have read and adore the book, and usually get a bit nervous when a book I love is being adapted, but I trusted this one from the start XD and I wasn't disappointed! It was almost perfect. I also cannot wait to rewatch and catch half the things I probably missed first time around... 

The one thing that did grate with me occasionally was the narration, but that's probably because I've read the book so I already 'know' most of what it tells you :) it was the perfect way to get some of the footnotes in! 

It has been on my to read list for ages, so glad i never got around to it until now.  Oddly enough @keith1977 has said the same thing about the narration.  As someone who has not read it i quite enjoyed her narration and her voice was a really soothing tone. 

I've only seen episode one and part of two so far, but the show is so accurate to the book and beautifully done ... Grin. 😇😈

I've always been team Aziraphale & Crowley, because that's one of the best friendships in literature.

Haha i love the chattering nun's. They have a small album on Spotify, i love their antichristmas mix. 

BumbleBeee

I read the book about five years ago, I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for the show for FOREVER now and it didn't disappoint! Crowley and Aziraphale are such great characters.

@Luftschlosseule I thought that was a great touch (and I loved all the riding-out outfits...and those bikes...). But yes, I did feel like maybe Really Cool People and his gang could have had a moment. On the other hand, it was quite cluttered already, with loads of characters, so I can see why they left it out. Just about everything else is essential.

@Lilsi HIS LITTLE FACE. WHEN HE'S WATCHING HIM GO LIKE 'AWW THE DEMON DID THAT'. They're just wonderful *happy sigh*

@fuzzipueo For an angel and a demon, they certainly do have a very realistic friendship, both in the book and the series XD the actors are perfect; now I've seen it, I can't imagine anybody else being either of them. And I'm so glad they nailed that bit in particular. I could have put up with a few issues elsewhere but if they'd messed that up it'd be crap all around.

@BumbleBeee What did you think about them showing us more of Heaven/Hell? 

Has anybody heard the radio version?

For sourcing the books - touchy subject, I know, but there's always the audiobook :P

Just finished watching the series. Lovely.

Luftschlosseule

Oh noo sorry guys, I meant to put in spoiler tags not quote tags! That was a mistake I am sorry.

No, I haven't listened to the radio play.

BumbleBeee
On 6/2/2019 at 2:17 PM, Wikkit said:

@Luftschlosseule I thought that was a great touch (and I loved all the riding-out outfits...and those bikes...). But yes, I did feel like maybe Really Cool People and his gang could have had a moment. On the other hand, it was quite cluttered already, with loads of characters, so I can see why they left it out. Just about everything else is essential.

@Lilsi HIS LITTLE FACE. WHEN HE'S WATCHING HIM GO LIKE 'AWW THE DEMON DID THAT'. They're just wonderful *happy sigh*

@fuzzipueo For an angel and a demon, they certainly do have a very realistic friendship, both in the book and the series XD the actors are perfect; now I've seen it, I can't imagine anybody else being either of them. And I'm so glad they nailed that bit in particular. I could have put up with a few issues elsewhere but if they'd messed that up it'd be crap all around.

@BumbleBeee What did you think about them showing us more of Heaven/Hell? 

Has anybody heard the radio version?

For sourcing the books - touchy subject, I know, but there's always the audiobook :P

I LOVED the concepts they pulled for heaven and hell, personally.

IrishArcher

I've been waiting for this for a very long time and it certainly did not disappoint! It absolutely did justice to the book (probably one of the best book to TV adaptations I've seen) and I was so, so happy with the casting (Michael Sheen as Aziraphale was adorable). A lot of the time I find it annoying when adaptations add things that weren't in the book, but with Good Omens, the additional scenes were some of my favorites. They did a superb job with establishing the characters, and especially Crowley and Aziraphale's relationship over the centuries. I watched the whole thing in a day and loved every minute of it!

@IrishArcher How great was that episode that was basically half an hour of them saving each other's backsides throughout history?? I read an interview with Gaiman where he said it was his addition and he'd put it in to give them something to do - it's one of my favourite passages 😊

@BumbleBeee I like how heaven looked like an Apple store without the merch; just a bit too clean and polished. Perfect! And Hell seeming like an eternal queue made me chuckle :)

I haven't read the book yet, but I thought the show was great! I'm a little sad there's no possibility for more episodes, but it definitely doesn't need a second season.

Does anyone know if the audiobook is any good? I was thinking I might try listening to it when I'm running.

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

I loved it to bits. 

The only parts I wished they had kept were the rain of fish [which...would either result in a lot of potentially dodgy CGI or a huge riot by the animal rights' groups], the other bikers, and Azira yelling 'Geronimo!' while on the flying scooter. I understand why they didn't include the former two, but not so much the latter.

Did anyone else notice the Discworld books in the bookshop, or the suspiciously familiar hat? 

Thundermaiden

I still haven't read the books, although I really want to, but the show was great. I'm a huge fan of David Tennant and Neil Gaiman. It was one of the best things I've watched recently. It would be cool to see more but also I think it's great that it's pretty self-contained.

3 hours ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

I loved it to bits. 

The only parts I wished they had kept were the rain of fish [which...would either result in a lot of potentially dodgy CGI or a huge riot by the animal rights' groups], the other bikers, and Azira yelling 'Geronimo!' while on the flying scooter. I understand why they didn't include the former two, but not so much the latter.

Did anyone else notice the Discworld books in the bookshop, or the suspiciously familiar hat? 

I'm going to have to rewatch the series again. I missed all the books and Gaiman evidently put in a bunch of Who easter eggs too! Also, I just want to watch it again. :)

3 hours ago, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

It was his hat!

Also did you notice the soldier on guard was reading American God's.  

So many little links to things. 

I got the book today currently on page 42! I love that I can see the scenes I'm reading in my head from the show.  After I finish the book I will re-watch the show again. ^_^

I am a HUGE fan of the book! (reread it many times), and I was extremely excited for the series

I enjoyed it a lot :) the cast is amazing, Michael Sheen and David Tennant are just absolutely fantastic! ❤️

I recommend the series (and the book of course!) to everyone!

I did a written commentary while I watched it, if anyone would like to see what I wrote. 

Episode 1:

Spoiler

God is female apparently.

Oh, look, a talking snake. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Oh, for...it's not an apple! 

Aww. They're bonding already. How sweet.

"It wasn't a dark and stormy night."

Here come the skulking guys.

and the Bentley.

Rather appropriate that I have a snake bracelet on at the moment.

"Ciao. What's that mean?" "It's Italian. It means food." Well...you're kind of close.

Oh, Gabriel is male in this. I forgot.

Here come the nuns.

Well, the AntiChrist is now named Adam.

"You are a demon. I am an angel." and neither of you are gay in the slightest, not remotely, definitely not.🙄

No, not The Sound of Music for eternity! Anything but that!

Mood whiplash 101. Crowley and A getting humourously drunk to all the nuns being torched. Jeepers.

Yes, I can totally see you two as godfathers. 

Crowley, are you doing a Mary Poppins cosplay? Very nice.

Bee is...female...for some reason.

Rebel against predestination! It's a nightmarish concept!

Six days til the end of the world, guys. No pressure. 

"No one will notice anything. It's reality, angel." How true.

Do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one?" Crowley thinks so. Azira's more on Kirk's side of the issue. 

No, not the magic act!

Dagon? Isn't that a Mesopotamian fertility god? What's he doing, hanging out with the bad crowd? Did Ishar make him mad?

Aww! The hellhound's adorable!!!!!

They've lost the AntiChrist! Oh, no! 

Episode 2:

Spoiler

Two days til the end of the world. Again, no pressure, guys.

"Human beings are so easily fooled." Erm...sure, let's go with that.

What would evil actually smell like? Mold? Fish? Socks?

Hey, hey, a finger snap is supposed to open the TARDIS doors, not turn on the tv. Get it right. 

"The Four Horsemen will begin their final ride." "Yay." Um, one of them's a woman now, you know? So much for the demons being well informed. I like Crowley's deadpan reaction, though. 

Here comes War...and the mailman. 

Ooh, violence! Explosions! 🙄

I must confess I read Lancashire as 'Lancre'. 

Hey, the witchfinders discovered acupuncture by accident. Good for them. 

Oh, goodness, I'm suddenly thinking of the 'burn the witch' scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Here comes the big prophecy. *cue fanfare*

Enter Anathema and Newt...and Witchfinder Shadwell. 

Now Crowley's going to bully his houseplants into submission.

Enter Madame Tracy. That's a lot more makeup than I was expecting.

Look, Jezabel wasn't at all what people think she was. Oh, that makes me so annoyed. 

Never drive a Bentley so recklessly unless you're a professional apocalypse prevent-er. 

Wow, that ice cream looks good. I want some.

Hey, Ananthema's using dowsing rods! How synchronous. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Or the...British, in this case. 

"Don't your lot disapprove of guns?" "Unless they're in the right hands. Then they add weight to a moral argument. I think." There's my problem with the traditional depiction of good and evil duality in a nutshell--it's wrong if you do it, but not if we do it. That sort of thing. Granted, I think that there is no good or bad, just what works and doesn't work, so what do I know?

"I'm not nice. I'm never nice." Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. It still won't be true.

"Occult forces?" "You and me." "I'm not occult. Angels aren't occult. We're ethereal." This is just as quotable as the book.

"You hit someone." "I didn't. Someone hit me." Same difference?

"There's nowhere to put the bike." "Except the bike rack." There's one now. But it's not tartan. 

Hey, Anathema, don't swear. It's un-witch-ish. 

Is that...is that angel food cake he's eating? Ha ha ha.

Well, that's not ominous at all.

That's it, keep denying you like each other. It's so cute. 

Ducks!

Yes! They got it right! They got that it's Revelation, not Revelations! I'm so proud.

I like this new prophecy of Agnes telling Azira that his hot chocolate's gone cold. 

I think you mean Nero...not Adam.

Dun dun dun!

Episode 3:

Spoiler

"Where is the flaming sword I gave you?" "Sword. Right. Yes. Big, sharp, cutty thing. Must have put it down here somewhere. Forget my own head next." And the Lord...erm...Lady? did not ask him again. I'm glad they included this scene. It's one of my favourites. 

Yes! That's it! Point out the whole hypocrisy of a god who's followers claim to be merciful and loving...but only if you do this, this, and this, in exactly the "right" way. Point out the whole hypocrisy of of a god who's followers claim to welcome everyone with open arms...but not them. Or those guys. Or that lot over there.

Point out how a god that is all angry and storming and smiting for no adequately explained reason MAKES NO SENSE. Point out the whole basic problems of the whole basic ideas of good and evil. Brilliant. 

"But afterwards the Almighty is going to put up this new thing, a 'rain bow', as a promise not to drown everyone again." "How kind." Spot on. 

Nice turban. 

This scene...is a bit...much... But points to the crew going through with it. 

Crowley: "What'd he do to get this?"

Azira: "He said, "be kind to one another". 
Crowley: [pause] "That'll do it."

Me: No kidding.

A random side note: I've never understood the name Amadeus. Doesn't it mean 'loved/beloved of god'? So why is it the name of the evil snake in the first Redwall book? 

"What kind of a stupid question is that: 'Still a demon?!' What else am I gonna be, an aardvark?!" Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Oh, are you two basically going on a date in ancient Rome? How nice. 

The Black Knight! Don't try to chop off his limbs! It's disgusting! Oh, it's just Crowley. 

"I'm here spreading foment." "What's that, some kind of porridge?" 

No! Don't breakup! Tell him how much he means to you! 

Oh, the Globe Theatre. I'm half expecting Morpheus to show up. That reminds me, I still haven't watched David Tennant's version of Hamlet. 

"Oh, like when the ghost of his father came on, and I said, 'He's behind you!' That sort of thing?" Yes, good audience participation. 

"Oh, he's not my friend. We don't know each other. We've never met before." Oh, dear, now they're both in denial. If one of them was straight about his feelings--definitely no pun intended--then there'd be none of this spending hundreds of years not speaking to each other. 

I'm beginning to suspect that these 'chance' meetings are...not remotely by chance at all, and they're just bumping into each other totally on purpose. Granted, I don't tend to believe in chance anyway. 

"Dozens of times." You mean dozens of dates.

Aww. Azira's all concerned about Crowley. 

"It'd take a miracle for anyone to come and see Hamlet." *looks at Crowley* Ahahahaha!

I must confess I've never had a crepe. 

Now you've rescued him, so carry him out dramatically in your arms. Oh, date crepes instead. I guess that'll do. 

Wow, all this and it's only 15 minutes in. 

"I didn't really fall. I just sort of...sauntered vaguely downwards." 

Nice top hat. 

Here we go again, both of them storming angrily off.

Is that Mark Gatniss? It sure looks like him. Hey, I was right.

"You can't kill me! There'll be paperwork!"

"Concencrated ground. It's like being at the beach in bare feet."

"What does the J stand for?" "It's just a J, really."

There, now you've rescued each other, and Azira's books. Now make up and go out on another date.

"You are not a witch, warlock, or a person who calls their cat funny names?" 

Aww, Azira's still worried about Crowley.

A thermos full of holy water? Ingenious. 

Where's the next date going to be? A picnic. What a great idea. Wait, what? No date? After hundreds of years, you suddenly break tradition?

Nearly halfway in, and the credits finally play.

One day 'til the end of the world. Finally they're starting to feel the pressure.

Hell hound VS neighbourhood cat. The cat wins.

Witchfinder Majors Saucepan, Tin, Milkbottle [deceased], and Cupboard. Brilliant. 

Um...bills are made of plastic now, Shadwell.

"Why don't they teach us about them [auras] in schools?" "Because schools is a repression tool of the state." Hear, hear.

"But there doesn't have to be another war, does there?" He was speaking rhetorically, guys.

Ooh. Aura vision.

Wait, wait, Michael is...also female in this? What's with all the switching genders around? Well, I guess angels don't technically "have" genders...

Hey, listen to Newt! He knows what he's on about.

Oh, here comes Famine. Yeesh. I always cringe when I read his section in the book. Here's the mailman, too. So, War's got her sword, Famine's got his scales, and it's Pestilence/Pollution's turn next. Oh, look, it's Elvis.

Ah, the good old armor of righteousness.

Hey, ley lines aren't rubbish! There's one in my basement! Or, through my basement, technically.

You tell 'em, Crowley. Tell everyone how terrible the Great Plan is.

"I am a great deal holier than thou, and that's the whole point." Erm...have you ever thought about that carefully, Azira? Have you ever thought about all the problems with that?

Here they go again. Another angry breakup. Just kiss or something. Oh, Crowley's suggesting they run off together. Great idea. 

"Friends? We're not friends!" Sort of true. You've definitely progressed beyond that ages ago.

"I don't even like you!" "You do." Hahahaha.

*gasp* This breakup is actually serious! 

"Have a nice doomsday." Great parting words.

Wow, even the background music sounds tragically romantic.

Episode 4:

Spoiler

Hey, a Doctor Who reference.

"Now the aliens give out messages of global peace and cosmic harmony. The government hushes it all up." "Why?" "It's what they do."

"Of course it's true. What I say is true." Reality warping 101.

The last day of the world...and still three episodes to go.

"Armageddon is coming, and I'm fairly sure it starts today. Just after teatime." "Exactly, right on schedule, what's your point?" "I just thought there was something we could do." "There is. We fight and we win." "But there doesn't have to be a war." "Of course there does. Otherwise how would we win it?"

Are you finally getting the message that good and evil dualities aren't helpful to anyone? 

"According to our records, you were issued a flaming sword. You didn't lose that?" "What, like I'd just give it away or something?" Hahaha.

Oh, no, all their secret dates are...no longer secret.

Crowley needs a TARDIS.

"Show me a Great Plan. You said you were testing them. You shouldn't test them to destruction. Not to the end of the world." Heh. 

Oh, Pollution's got his crown. One more to go. 

Here comes Death. "Now don't think of it as dying. Think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush." Is that from Discworld? I feel like it's from Discworld.

"We don't take sweets from witches." "I do." Good for you. 

Oh, yeah, the Tibetans. I forgot about them.

The aliens are green. 

I'm understanding about one word in five of these Japanese lines. 

Unleash the Kraken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you have a lizard on your head?

Toast, toast, and toast. [That is, toast as in warmed bread, toast as in a toast to Terry Pratchett, and toast as in burning.]

Oh, I always wondered where the Meigido spells in Persona 3/PSP and Persona 4 Golden came from. 

Don't burn him! Gah! 

"Your Disgrace." Hahaha. 

No! Don't burn the other one!

5 hours and 48 minutes til the end. To the exact minute, apparently.

Adam can teleport all of sudden.

Well, that's not creepy at all.

"I'm Hast-ah La Vista." Good improvising. 

Oh, that's just disgusting! Agh.

Anathema has to get Newt all up to speed on the plot.

Adam's becoming a bit...nihilistic.

Yay! They're making up! Wait, no, they're not. Azira, stop being so stubborn! Listen to Crowley already! Oh, for...you're might as well be a bickering old married couple by now.

No, don't listen to this random passing gay dude. Go after him! Go after him! 

Oh, that's also so disgusting. Skip the holy water part if you're squeamish. 

Oh, the old 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin' question. Contrary to what God says here, I'm very sure that angels not only do dance, but they also sing. Also, they would have much more interesting things to do, like celebrating life, than messing around on pinheads. 

I do like Crowley's trick with the answering machine. Very well done. 

Hey, hey, there's an archangel missing. Where's Raphael? Off doing healing, I guess. Though...helping to heal the world would be a good place to start. 

"You...you...bad angels." You tell them, Azira.

Uh, oh. Adam's getting serious. Pathetic Fallacy, and all that.

"So we ask him nicely to stop?" Great idea, Newt.

"Hold on!" "I'm not an idiot!" I wish more people would say things like that in movies when they're told to hold on.

Shouldn't you guys be hiding in the bathroom during a tornado, not under the bed? 

Now is a great time to kiss. 🙄

In a different series, Shadwell's verbal attacks on Madame Tracy could be considered abuse.

Kissy kissy.

He...he just removed their mouths! Gah.

Incoming Message from the Big Giant Head! Oh, nevermind, then.

"To speak to me is to speak to God." Well...technically when you speak to anyone, or yourself, you're speaking to God, so...

Azira, don't swear. 

Nooooo! Not the books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Episode 5:

Spoiler

All those books...it's so tragic. 

"Are you the owner of this establishment?" "Do I look like I run a bookshop?" 

Wow. Crowley rushing into a burning bookshop to rescue Azira...if that's not a big romantic gesture, I don't know what is.

"Somebody killed my best friend!" Ouch. and the denial continues. 🙄😛

Adam's glowing red eyes. Hello, nightmare fuel.

Nice recap, God. 

Heh. Even the music is getting in on it. "Somebody to Love." Perfect choice. The reason why Queen songs are used so much is because in the book, anytime Crowley leaves a tape in the Bentley, it morphs into a Queen tape. 

It was a dark and stormy night. Finally.

"There could be women there." Oh, horrors. 🙄 For someone who claims to be against all females, Shadwell sure does spend a lot of time with Madame Tracy.

She's got stuffies on her bed! That's adorable! Let's see. A tiger, various rabbits, a unicorn, a monkey, and a puppy. 

"Nobody's ever done what I've done." What, accidentally discorporealized an angel? Yeah, that's definitely a first. 

Hey, hey, don't yell at Azira. He's a total angel, not just literally. Stubborn, yes, and in denial over all sorts of things, but no one deserves to be yelled at.

"I have no intention of fighting in any war." Yeah! You tell them! 

Nightmare eyes again. 

Forcing people to do things against their will...Right now, Adam's...really not that different from all the angels an demons seen so far in the series--the main duo excepted, of course. At least he figures out all the implications of what he's doing before it's too late. Still, it seems to me like the whole series is taking subtle jabs at the idea of predestination, of an ultimate fate where choices don't matter because everything's decided in advance. Yay for free will. 

"What do you mean, 'Agnes doesn't tell us to'? Don't you ever figure things out for yourself?" Good for you, Newt, point it out to her. "You can't let a 400 year old witch tell you what to do." "I've spent my whole life trying to figure out what she wanted me to do. She's never failed me. Sometimes I fail her." That's...that's...kind of sad. Like trying to live up to the expectations of a deceased parent. 

"Purpose of your visit to the UK?" "I ride to where the end of the world begins." "Sounds like fun." 

Nice bikes. The...erm...four bikerspeople of the apocalypse sure know how to be stylish. I like Death's bike best. It reminds me of the one the Discworld Death rides in Soul Music. 

1 hour and 43 minutes to the end of the world. Wait a minute...that's almost how much longer this episode and the next one go on for. How clever. 

Yes, God, we know, We don't need you to narrate the obvious.

Oh, it's that motorway that Crowley helped make. I'd forgotten about it. Now he' stuck on it. I'd say that's karma coming back to bite him, but I don't really believe in karmic debts and whatnot. Seriously, think about it--you return to Earth to pay back your karmic debt, but while you're there you make more and more, so you go back again, and again, and there's no end in sight and it makes no sense. Plus it makes the universe sound like some sort of bureaucratic hierarchy, neither of which the universe actually is.

Aww, they didn't include Azira's brief stint as a televangelist. That's one of my favourite parts. Well, granted, almost all of Good Omens is my favourite part...but, still.

"It's on fire or something. What does that even mean?" Um...it means it's on fire or something?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not the maggot scene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! Skip skip skip skip skip!

"Why isn't there an index?" Good question.

Crowley waving at the police as he passes them in the burning Bentley. Perfect.

But what about the rain of fish? I was looking forward to it. 

Here come the four bikerspeople of the apocalypse. It's too bad they had to cut out the bikers who follow them. 

Well, that's ominous as heck. 

Oh, that's really good thinking, Newt. Well done. 

Time for the miraculous flying motor scooter. I love this part. Wait, wait, Azira didn't shout 'Geronimo!' How could they leave that part out?!

"Agnes would have definitely told me if someone was going to shoot you." That's not reassuring at all.

Great disguises, guys. 

Hey, the kids' bikes almost match the colours of the four bikerspeople of the apocalypse's bikes. 

I'm really liking the epic music in this scene.

30 minutes til the end of the world. 

"Can someone pass me the screwdriver?" *Death hands it to him* Hahahaha! Oh, that's brilliant. 

Oh, oh, oh, that's..that's awesome! We Will Rock You while Crowley's keeping the Bentley together through sheer willpower. Perfect choice. 

"Your car is on fire! Young man, your car is on fire, you're sitting in it, and it's in no fit condition to drive!" But he didn't say it. "Unusual weather this time of year." "I hadn't noticed." "That probably because your stupid car is on fire!" 

17 minutes to the end of the world. Ooh, it's getting tense. 

Well, that's not overly dramatic at all. 

Episode 6:

Spoiler

Yes, some house plants and a coffee table would make it all look way better.

No! Not the Bentley! 

16 minutes to the end of the world.

Time for the big showoff. 

"They're saying it's the end of the world." "Yes, I got that." Good time to be snarky, Newt.

Well, you're being all dramatic and everything, aren't you, Death? I hope you get to show off your wings like you do in the book. Hey, what are you saying? You're only supposed to help everyone pass on, not cause their deaths! Or are you just saying that to make Adam think about things?

Ha ha! Shadwell's expression.

Nice time to be honest about things, Newt. No time like the end of the world.

Hey, uh, three out of four of the bikerspeople of the apocalypse...you guys don't look so good. Might want to have someone check up on that.

"My mum says that war is just masculine imperialism executed on a global stage." You tell her, Pepper. You tell War all about it. 

The kids VS the four bikerspeople of the apocalypse, and the kids win with epic style.

"Didn't that used to be your sword?" "I do believe it was." Wow. It all makes sense. I had forgotten about that part. 

Huh. I guess Ishtar did make Dagon mad after all, or something. Otherwise why would he be in with the bad lot?

Yes! Death shows his wings! Yay!

Why is Bee a woman, again?

"You both want to end the world just to see whose gang is best?" Well said, Adam.

Ahahaha. No one knows! No one knows what they're doing! They're all running around, thinking they know everything, thinking they know what the Great and/or Ineffable Plan is, if there even is one, but they don't! 

What, there's only 10 million angels? Wow. That's way, way, way less than I thought. Last I heard, they were as uncountable as the stars.

Rouge Angles of Satin, indeed.

Hey, Crowley, don't use the f-word. Even if it is the end of the world.

Wait...that's...that's Benedict Cumberbach. Talk about one scene wonders. 

Rebellious son? You're one to talk. 

"You're not my dad!" That's it! Tell him off. 

The last episode's only half way over, and by the book's length, there's barely anything left. But, then, the book doesn't have this new trial scene. 

As dates go, sitting on a park bench in the middle of the night isn't too bad, I guess.

Hey, it's the mailman again. But...he's dead...and still on the job. Well, that's dedication. Or did Death let him go? No, wait, it was Adam's work. 

"We're on our own side." So run off and elope or whatever already.

Hey, there's Discworld books in Azira's shop!

The Bentley's back! Yay!

I can't stand the hallucination explanation for all things unusual.

They're really not all that different, the angels and demons. I think that's probably the point.

"Do you have anything to say?" "This is a new jacket, and I don't want to ruin it." Ha.

Stop calling her Jezebel.

Hey, don't use the f-word. You're an angel. You should know better.

"We're meant to be the good guys, for Heaven's sake!" "Well, for Heaven's sake, we're meant to make examples out of traitors." Not so different, as I said.

So, wait, Uriel's female, too? Must be a big gender changing party going on.

So what's this, divine intervention? Literally? Oh, I see. They swapped places.

"Do you want to be a descendant all your life?" Good question, Newt.

Now they both need a TARDIS. Oh, great, they get one more date. Good for them. A Nightengale Sang in Berkeley Square? Isn't that a love song? 

Well, that was fun. All in all, there's only three things I wish they'd kept, but that's all right, Now to read the book all over again, for what's probably the seventh or eighth time. 

On 6/2/2019 at 1:11 PM, Lilsi said:

It has been on my to read list for ages, so glad i never got around to it until now.  Oddly enough @keith1977 has said the same thing about the narration.  As someone who has not read it i quite enjoyed her narration and her voice was a really soothing tone. 

My main issue with the narration was that it felt quite stilted with no emotion and no inflection at the appropriate moments, like she didn't know the book and tone, or like someone reading out a comedians joke but without the right timing. The main example was the timing of the universe beginning.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:17 PM, Wikkit said:

I was so gutted they were left out, especially since it removed the slow reveal on the quiz machine.

On 6/5/2019 at 4:40 PM, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

Didn't spot that, will have to pay more attention when I next watch it!

Overall I enjoyed it, so much so I've watced the whole thing twice! I've had the book since about 1997 and probably read it at least once every two years since then, sometimes more. Did find the show quite jarring the first time round whenever they drifted away from the book, but I guess that's what comes from knowing the original story so well, for instance Wensleydale on the swing. But after I thought out it I realised in most of those cases it made sense in terms of time. They'd have to spend more time explaining who the new people or objects were to do the scene how it was done in the book, all just to show something that doesn't actually progress the story as a whole.

That said, I'd have liked to see more of the four horsemen back story covered, but I did really like the new ending with swap.

One thing I did wonder after watching it and reading some of the rightups for it. I've seen several references to Pollution being non-binary in the show, is that an invention for the TV show, or is it also reflected in more recent editions of the book? When it was first released in 1990 and even when my edition came out in '96 that wasn't really a thing (at least in terms of what the public would understand, since it was still firmly just LGB back then), but I know some other books will amend small details across the publications so it's not impossible they amended the text in more recent versions.

8 hours ago, keith1977 said:

One thing I did wonder after watching it and reading some of the rightups for it. I've seen several references to Pollution being non-binary in the show, is that an invention for the TV show, or is it also reflected in more recent editions of the book? When it was first released in 1990 and even when my edition came out in '96 that wasn't really a thing (at least in terms of what the public would understand, since it was still firmly just LGB back then), but I know some other books will amend small details across the publications so it's not impossible they amended the text in more recent versions.

Read the bits where they introduced the four horsemen and Pollution is still referenced as a male character. I have the TV Cover version of the book too so the most recent. I don't think they would ever change anything within the book due to respect for Terry. 

Luftschlosseule
10 hours ago, keith1977 said:

It was changed specifically for the show, and Neil Gaiman told so beforehand but I can't say if that was on Twitter or Tumblr. Maybe both.

His explanation was that pollution is a concept beyond binary so it would be fitting.

11 hours ago, Lilsi said:

Read the bits where they introduced the four horsemen and Pollution is still referenced as a male character. I have the TV Cover version of the book too so the most recent. I don't think they would ever change anything within the book due to respect for Terry. 

Cool, if they had changed any bits I expected it would have been before Sir Terry left us. I imagine there's been quite a few reprints of the book in the last 20 years. :)

9 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

It was changed specifically for the show, and Neil Gaiman told so beforehand but I can't say if that was on Twitter or Tumblr. Maybe both.

His explanation was that pollution is a concept beyond binary so it would be fitting.

Yeah it totally makes sense. There's no reason for an anthropomorphic personification to be a specific gender unless manifesting as that gender benefits what they're doing, so obviously War presents as female since she uses that to make men fight over her, but for the rest of them it makes no difference.

Archived